As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Fitness Group!

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Day 51 of the Gethin workout. I looked at his plan for today and I cried. My shoulders are going to fall off.

Day 35/37 (schedule adjusted to fit my wacky life) for me and I feel your pain.

What I hate to admit is that despite the last 30+ days of intense gym workouts, I've plateaud. Moving up and down the same 5 lb range the entire time. The workout's not enough - definitely going to have to start counting calories again (goddamn maths). And, as added incentive to stop cutting my cardio time, I caved and bought a fitbit this morning.
    If only there was a way for this to not be so mentally taxing...

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Down another 3.4 pounds this week, bringing me to over 75 pounds lost!
    that's damn cool! congrats!!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    Day 51 of the Gethin workout. I looked at his plan for today and I cried. My shoulders are going to fall off.

I took a week off, came back to find this workout waiting for me:bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-4-day-28.html. Yep, 3 sets of 85 reps leg press. I know you've already been there, and it gives me the confidence to know I can get there too.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »
    Down another 3.4 pounds this week, bringing me to over 75 pounds lost!
    that's damn cool! congrats!!

Thanks! :-) That weight is staying off too, thankfully. I'm always worried I'm going to bounce back up after a big loss like that.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    That weight is staying off too, thankfully.
    Always good :)

I'm getting closer to meeting my 20-miles-a-week goal. so far I'm at 12.5 in 3 days, and I have 4 miles planned Saturday, so that leaves only 3.5 to cover from Wed-Friday ... hoping to make this work. gotta get back in gear after being lazy for way too long.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular

I took a week off, came back to find this workout waiting for me:bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-4-day-28.html. Yep, 3 sets of 85 reps leg press. I know you've already been there, and it gives me the confidence to know I can get there too.

I'll be honest with you, that was a bad day. But I had my training partner just laying on the 'you can do it's'.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Fucking finally. Lost 1.2 lbs this week. This means that it is the first consecutive losses I have had since about May 10th or so. Hopefully I continue to trend down.

I am at 222.8lbs. My current goal weight on WW is 217.4lbs. I swear I have been going for this goal for foorreevverrr. I miss the early days of dropping 2-3lbs a week. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    I'm getting closer to meeting my 20-miles-a-week goal. so far I'm at 12.5 in 3 days, and I have 4 miles planned Saturday, so that leaves only 3.5 to cover from Wed-Friday ... hoping to make this work. gotta get back in gear after being lazy for way too long.

That is amazing! Good for you!

redfield85 wrote: »
    Fucking finally. Lost 1.2 lbs this week. This means that it is the first consecutive losses I have had since about May 10th or so. Hopefully I continue to trend down.

I am at 222.8lbs. My current goal weight on WW is 217.4lbs. I swear I have been going for this goal for foorreevverrr. I miss the early days of dropping 2-3lbs a week. Haha.

Fantastic! Not kidding when I say that seeing you push so hard is a serious inspiration for me to keep going when I don't feel like it.

In other news, my fitbit just came in the mail. friend me!

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    Direwolf wrote: »

Fantastic! Not kidding when I say that seeing you push so hard is a serious inspiration for me to keep going when I don't feel like it.

To be honest, I don't think I have really PUSHED myself. More like playing a good amount of ice hockey each week (3-4 times) and floor hockey once a week. Other than that, I have kept to my WW daily points and that is it. I just stuck with what I was doing and it has hopefully fixed itself. I say this every week, but if I go back up next week, *insert something about working out more besides hockey*.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    For those doing the Gethin workout, I have this to say: The DTP is hell on earth.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    Update - 18.5 miles total for the week :D
    Trying harder next week, but excited - best total so far :)

• Options
    Down another 2.5 lbs this week and broke over 100k steps for the past 7 days! Feels awesome man.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Update - 18.5 miles total for the week :D
    Trying harder next week, but excited - best total so far :)

Awesome! 1.5 .. so close.. you'll get it!
    Down another 2.5 lbs this week and broke over 100k steps for the past 7 days! Feels awesome man.

Keep it up.. I TOLD you you'd start beating me.. now I need to get my ass back in gear, because I've been loafing it hardcore at the gym since I got back to work.

• Options
    Yeah, I guess you did! Got me motivated to add in walking before work every day. :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess you did! Got me motivated to add in walking before work every day. :)

FWIW, we're all gonna get our butts kicked by Direwolf...

• Options
    I definitely blew by my WW extra points for the week. It is at a -8 right now. Haha. Whoops!

So, I've played hockey twice this week, have a game tomorrow night, and a tournament this weekend. Apparently David Boreanaz is playing in said tournament. I could be drafted onto a team with him (or play against him)! Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Best one-day logged miles yet - 7.9 gonna be hard for me to beat in the future, but I'm okay with that :)

• Options
    I definitely blew by my WW extra points for the week. It is at a -8 right now. Haha. Whoops!

So, I've played hockey twice this week, have a game tomorrow night, and a tournament this weekend. Apparently David Boreanaz is playing in said tournament. I could be drafted onto a team with him (or play against him)! Haha.

Thats all sorts of awesome.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    I found out that I have improper form on some of the lifts I do at the gym. How did I find this out? I know have tendonitis. Gosh darn x.x

• Options
    I found out that I have improper form on some of the lifts I do at the gym. How did I find this out? I know have tendonitis. Gosh darn x.x

Ugh... what does that feel like - I wonder if I might have done the same to myself..

• Options
    Started out as a dull pain in my right wrist after workouts. It's now a 3/10 whenever I move my wrist the wrong way.

• Options
    vttym wrote: »

FWIW, we're all gonna get our butts kicked by Direwolf...

... I'll try not to make a habit of it.

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    Started out as a dull pain in my right wrist after workouts. It's now a 3/10 whenever I move my wrist the wrong way.

Ouch. Ice it. Wrists are tough - a pretty weak part for everyone. There are wrist curls and extensions that can help strengthen them (also wrist straps to help support them), but I'd hold off till the pain is gone. You might want to see someone.
    As for form, I can think of two options: find a trainer at your gym to help walk you through them, or watch the videos on bodybuilding.com (below gethin's daily video is the list of exercises. Each one links to a video on form).

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    Direwolf wrote: »

Ouch. Ice it. Wrists are tough - a pretty weak part for everyone. There are wrist curls and extensions that can help strengthen them (also wrist straps to help support them), but I'd hold off till the pain is gone. You might want to see someone.
    As for form, I can think of two options: find a trainer at your gym to help walk you through them, or watch the videos on bodybuilding.com (below gethin's daily video is the list of exercises. Each one links to a video on form).

I've visited a doctor and I've got it braced. The main problem with my form was more so that I wasn't actually stretching and simply pushing through the pain. I imagine I'll just be using the machines at the gym on a lower weight for now, otherwise I'd be holding back off the gym for about 2 months which I just can't do.

• Options
    I've visited a doctor and I've got it braced. The main problem with my form was more so that I wasn't actually stretching and simply pushing through the pain. I imagine I'll just be using the machines at the gym on a lower weight for now, otherwise I'd be holding back off the gym for about 2 months which I just can't do.

Ouch! Yah, I've learned the hard way how ridiculously important it is to stretch. Really hope it gets better soon.

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    Weighed in this morning and I'm down another 2.8 pounds and have lost over 80 so far! I feel awesome today!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    I haven't felt this beat in so long.

Wed: ice hockey game
    Fri: open hockey
    Sat: ice hockey tournament (2 games)
    Sun: ice hockey game

If I don't lose a smidgen this week I will be sorely disappointed.

Also, I went out today and bought new clothes. Feels so good. I need give away all my tshirts now. I have like 3 that are XL and fit decent. I can't survive on those forever. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options

Also, I went out today and bought new clothes. Feels so good. I need give away all my tshirts now. I have like 3 that are XL and fit decent. I can't survive on those forever. Haha.

I have two stacks of geek shirts I need to give away too, only a few of my 3X shirt still fit me decently, (they never really even fit when they were 3X, I think they were labelled wrong) but I was lucky to pick up shirts in 2X at PAX East so I was prepared!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options

I have two stacks of geek shirts I need to give away too, only a few of my 3X shirt still fit me decently, (they never really even fit when they were 3X, I think they were labelled wrong) but I was lucky to pick up shirts in 2X at PAX East so I was prepared!

Yea, starting at PAX East this year I was getting a size smaller. Sucks when some of your shirts are Teefury ones that I can never get again.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    The best part about losing good weight, for me, was when I needed to buy new clothes. It's the best kind of milestone there is! Awesome job, guys.

@PayneTrayne Yeah, that's kinda what I have.. my arm just above my elbow, or sometimes right in the middle of my upper arm, will be very painful if I move it certain ways (usually fully extended - I don't experience the pain when doing normal movements). I've taken a break from lifting while it sorts out, but may need to pull back on some of the other stuff, like basketball, that I do, which really sucks. Might just go back to lifting at very low weights to slowly work it back up.

• Options
    goatbertgoatbert Alexandria, VaRegistered User regular
    Hey everyone. First post here, someone in my advice thread about a countdown clock for counting down to PAX East (for my weight loss goal) pointed me here, and I'm hoping to be active in this thread since PAX East factors so heavily into my fitness/weight loss goals. I just did a big post on reddit which I won't regurgitate here, but to summarize I want to lose as much as I can before PAX East - I'm 410 currently, down from 576 at the started, I want to be under 300 (hopefully well under) by PAX East 2013.

Anyway just saying hello, I'll keep an eye on this thread and can't wait to meet people at PAX.

• Options

Yea, starting at PAX East this year I was getting a size smaller. Sucks when some of your shirts are Teefury ones that I can never get again.

Yeah, I have a bunch of Woot shirts that I won't be able to get again. But them's the breaks! I'm just happy to be buying a smaller size. Although, I'm gonna have to start buying cool shirts in XL soon because with the way the weight is dropping (knock on wood) I'll be in XL in a few months!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    goatbert wrote: »
    Hey everyone. First post here ... I'm 410 currently, down from 576 at the started, I want to be under 300 (hopefully well under) by PAX East 2013.

Yay - welcome! Great progress so far too!

• Options
    AshaeliaAshaelia Dream Artist Registered User new member
    I've found in my past endeavors that making 'lifestyle changes' instead of 'dieting' has been way more effective in reshaping how I look. I've shed off at least 80 lbs in the past 2 years and it's stayed off without much effort at all. I found that simply changing what you eat and finding activities that hold your interest (so you don't think about food when your bored) have been the biggest help.

Recently I've decided to switch to a more Asian and Indian inspired diet. Lots of of fish (good for the skin), Rice, spicy flavors (boosts your metabolism), and of course yogurt is amazing for keeping your system running smoothly. As far as exercise is concerned I just pick things I liked doing in the first place, swimming, hula hooping, dancing. The only 'addition' I really made to that was basic stretching yoga positions that anyone of any size could handle no problem. I added them to help eliviate back pain when I first started my new jobs where I was on my feet all day. Not only does it help my back, and help me loose weight, but it lifts my moods. So if I'm having a bad day all I need to do is take some time to stretch out all my tension and I feel right as rain ^__^

Now my focus is more on toning and sculpting so I'll update as my game plan changes. Good Luck to all those working for healthier lifestyles and amazing cosplay bods =P

• Options
    Down only 1.1 pounds this week, but there was an eating holiday and a wedding this past week, so I'm still damn happy with that number!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    @Ashaelia I need to incorporate more stretching into my routine. I do exactly none right now. I'm sure that will catch up to me eventually.

@Goatbert - Welcome to the family -- that's some incredible progress so far, and I, for one, will be cheering you on as you work towards conquering that goal for PAX. Have a friend who dropped over 180 lbs in about a year and a half, so it can be done!

Keep it up, all. I've been quiet, but watching.. and running where I can ;)

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Hey everyone. First post here, someone in my advice thread about a countdown clock for counting down to PAX East (for my weight loss goal) pointed me here, and I'm hoping to be active in this thread since PAX East factors so heavily into my fitness/weight loss goals. I just did a big post on reddit which I won't regurgitate here, but to summarize I want to lose as much as I can before PAX East - I'm 410 currently, down from 576 at the started, I want to be under 300 (hopefully well under) by PAX East 2013.

Anyway just saying hello, I'll keep an eye on this thread and can't wait to meet people at PAX.

I think I'm a bit late to the party but welcome! I'm glad to see you made your way over here. Keep it up!

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular

Welcome! I just read that post, and wow. You have lost me in weight.
    Ashaelia wrote: »
    I've found in my past endeavors that making 'lifestyle changes' instead of 'dieting' has been way more effective in reshaping how I look. I've shed off at least 80 lbs in the past 2 years and it's stayed off without much effort at all. I found that simply changing what you eat and finding activities that hold your interest (so you don't think about food when your bored) have been the biggest help.

Recently I've decided to switch to a more Asian and Indian inspired diet. Lots of of fish (good for the skin), Rice, spicy flavors (boosts your metabolism), and of course yogurt is amazing for keeping your system running smoothly. As far as exercise is concerned I just pick things I liked doing in the first place, swimming, hula hooping, dancing. The only 'addition' I really made to that was basic stretching yoga positions that anyone of any size could handle no problem. I added them to help eliviate back pain when I first started my new jobs where I was on my feet all day. Not only does it help my back, and help me loose weight, but it lifts my moods. So if I'm having a bad day all I need to do is take some time to stretch out all my tension and I feel right as rain ^__^

Now my focus is more on toning and sculpting so I'll update as my game plan changes. Good Luck to all those working for healthier lifestyles and amazing cosplay bods =P

Lifestyle change is the way to go! I say that but obviously you've figured that out. You remind me I need to do yoga more consistently. Especially for the upper back which I struggle with from my hunched-over-a-keyboard job.

As for sculpting and toning, have you considered weightlifting? Lifting heavy free weights (1-5 reps per set) does great things for men and women alike.
    vttym wrote: »
    @Ashaelia I need to incorporate more stretching into my routine. I do exactly none right now. I'm sure that will catch up to me eventually.

Keep it up, all. I've been quiet, but watching.. and running where I can ;)

I've been the same; silent but doing pretty well. But stretch, darn it!. Yoga or the workouts from mobilitywod.com are both fantastic. The guy who does those videos is pretty great.

As for running where you can: I fully support that. I ran/walked (mostly ran) 5 miles home from a bar Saturday night to avoid paying for a cab by myself. Functional fitness ftw!

• Options
    Well, I knew this day would come, because I suck at holding onto sunglasses, pens, lighters or anything else for an extended period of time...

I left my Fitbit at the gym this morning, and lost it. Had it when I ran, took it off for a shower, and between the shower and pulling into work when I realized it was gone, I lost it. I don't remember putting it on, so I likely left it somewhere in the locker room, but it wasn't there or any of the places I checked. Wasn't in lost and found..

It was the one fear I had with making this purchase. I am not having a good day today.. which is a shame, because my run was awesome this morning..

*sigh*

• Options
    AshaeliaAshaelia Dream Artist Registered User new member
    @TheTinMan - The only weight I have is a 5lb Kettle Bell (and of course gallon milk jugs that could be filled with water, lol) I really need to scuplt the back of my arms, my back, and the sides of my ribs (I know that sounds weird, but ...) Yeah mostly the back of my arms and the side of my ribs right underneath my arms. They don't look terrible, I just feel they could be tightened up a bit. Any task and rep suggestions for a simple toning exercise?

This discussion has been closed.