As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: where 2D becomes 3D on its way to 4D

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    There were only two things I didn't like about JLA v.s. the Elite.
    1. Superman stands there and lets Atomic Skull melt some guy, before changing into his costume. It didn't ring true, to me.

2. Superman's army of super-robots, helping him in the final battle. I feel like it misses the point that Superman can do anything. It diminishes him, and adds something of a weird, authoritarian feeling to Superman.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. I thought the character designs were fun, and the voices were all spot-on, with the possible exception of Coldcast, who got some really shitty lines.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I noticed Man of Action splayed across the credits of the last EMH show, anyone know how involved they were? I may have to rethink my opinion of them cause they delivered an awesome Hulk episode of EMH

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I noticed Man of Action splayed across the credits of the last EMH show, anyone know how involved they were? I may have to rethink my opinion of them cause they delivered an awesome Hulk episode of EMH

I don't think MOA are bad writers. They just can't, or more to the point, probably don't have a lot of interest in building long term storylines anymore. Which is weird, cause even though I never saw much of it, the Ben series of cartoons seemed to have a shit ton of continuity.

And Texiken, about the Elite thing- I saw it more as
    More of them always planning to turn into the assholes the comic presents them from the beginning. They just wanted to meet Supes first and knew he wouldn't really talk to them if they were immediately killing people.

And yeah, the change in the last fight bothered me for the same reason it bothered Munch.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    With all the talent they have, I'm sure the reason that USM is the way it is, is simply because that's what Marvel wanted.

Which sucks for us, but it seems to be working decently out for them.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    First trailer for Dredd is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Pssst!

I am the law.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    It looks like The Raid, starring Judge Dredd.

If it can live up to that, I'm in.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I don't doubt that they cut the trailer specifically to steal some of The Raid's style. Here's The Raid's trailer for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkULMOFpuCo

In any case, I'm not sure Dredd can live up to that other film. I enjoyed The Raid because it set up an impossible situation for its protagonists that forced them to really fight for their wins. With this trailer, Dredd seems to come pre-equipped to handle every obstacle, so there's no sense of risk or struggle.

I mean, dude has a gun capable of taking out an entire floor of bad guys.

Now, if he loses his fancy equipment early on and has to slug his way through the rest of the thugs, this might become something interesting.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Iron Man: Armored Adventures may be canceled and replaced by a new Iron Man series. :evil:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=62129
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Looks promising. About time we got a decent Judge Dredd film.

Harry Dresden on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone possibly interested in a movie based off of the Metal Men?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    me, i would be

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    At this point, it feels like DC is just throwing everything at the "let's make a movie" wall. I love Metal Men, but they've got this long list of titles they're supposedly developing now and they never seem to actually get anything non Batman/Superman actually off of the ground.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    I love the Metal Men, but I think they'd be real hard to do in a non animated/cartoon style, live action could get really weird really fast.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

It looks good but it seems a little off. I think it's because I'm too used to the first Judge Dredd movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I can't help but laugh when the cast is listed in the trailer for that.

SYLVESTER STALLONE
    ARMAND ASSANTE
    DIANE LANE

...ROB SCHNEIDER

MAX VON SYDOW

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Re: Superman vs. The Elite

Hat is such a cool character with a great power and unique look

I want him on Justice League: Dark

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owP8q82N-WE

D'aaaaawwwwwww. See how can EMH not be Kid-Friendly!

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Finally found time to sit down this weekend and watch Chronicle. I highly recommend this film, if you're a fan of the super-hero mythos. Biggest surprise for me was how short it was (running time 1 hr 24 minutes) but that was plenty of time to do service to the story.

So Kotaku has Their Amazing Spider-Man movie review, and they reveal something about Peter's webshooters that bug me
    He actually orders the base of the spider suit online and direct orders—or steals (it's rather ambiguous)—the webbing fluid from Oscorp. And as the webbing is presented as Oscorp's most famous bit of technology, it implies that both the company and the police are incompeten

I'm guessing that this means
    That it was Peter's dad/mom that invented the webbing. Even in Ult. Spidey Peter's dad had started on the project, but never was able to crack it.

Arryn wrote: »
    Finally found time to sit down this weekend and watch Chronicle. I highly recommend this film, if you're a fan of the super-hero mythos. Biggest surprise for me was how short it was (running time 1 hr 24 minutes) but that was plenty of time to do service to the story.

I really liked how they had a reason/improved the Shakycam by having
    The kid learned to control it subconsciously with his TK,
    still not a big fan of shakycam, but that definately helped/cut down on the shaky in a lot of parts

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Thought Superman vs. The Elite was one of the best adaptations ever.

Also I would totally be down for a Pixar style Metal Men.

steam_sig-400.png
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56605

25 fan cut preview of Amazing Spider-Man, using all the previously released footage.

Hype. Rising.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    holy cow

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I hope the Metal Men movie has Doc Magnus: Space Pimp in it.

magnus.jpg

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I loved that little scene

Played a bit of the Spider-Man game during lunch. So this are very initial initial impressions.

First of all, the first 'level' or whatever is an indoor one. What the hell? It's a small thing, but what the hell?

Anyways, that really only lasts like 10-20 minutes, and then I got to try the only reason why buy this games: The webswinging.

I'll give the developers this, it sure looks nice. Especially when you're plummeting down and pull into a webswing at the last minute. The webrush thing looks and works pretty cool to. You don't have to 'freeze' time to use it-that only happens if you hold the R1 button down. If you just tap it, Spidey will go towards wherever you're aiming, running along walls, zipping through light posts, etc.

So yeah, it looks pretty cool. Sadly, the controls so far are pretty meh.

All you have to do to swing is hold the R2 button. You don't (at least so far) have any control of when to let go of the swing, so you loose out on the fun of trying to get the most height that came from learning the best time to jump/let go of the button in the other games.

It also makes the swinging more like driving a car strangely enough. As long as you're in the city, you can pretty much not worry about coming across a low building or park, as Spidey will still swing around, hitting the umm, clouds I guess?

Though you can't swing across the water dividing the islands, so there's that.

Again, this are very first impressions, so maybe the upgrades will include stuff that makes the webswinging more fun. Also, the fighting is a lot like the Batman games, but looks a lot cooler.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I was thinking, that Spider-Island would probably make the perfect Spider-Man game if done right.
    I mean you have a perfect reason for a slew of super powered enemies to fight with.
    You have the gadgets / different suits with different abilities from the Horizon stuff. (like the Big Time Stealth suit, magnetic webbing etc.)
    You have in story boss battles already (The Jackal, The Shocker, Kaine, The Queen), along with whomever else you want to throw in.
    And you can even have the Venom stuff as Interludes (like they used Catwoman in Arkham City).

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So Kotaku has Their Amazing Spider-Man movie review, and they reveal something about Peter's webshooters that bug me
    He actually orders the base of the spider suit online and direct orders—or steals (it's rather ambiguous)—the webbing fluid from Oscorp. And as the webbing is presented as Oscorp's most famous bit of technology, it implies that both the company and the police are incompeten

I'm guessing that this means
    That it was Peter's dad/mom that invented the webbing. Even in Ult. Spidey Peter's dad had started on the project, but never was able to crack it.

Ok I'll have to see the scene itself but you are being really hard on the police.
    Sir, someone is using our most well known(and logically well selling) device to swing around the city. I think it could be the Parker kid. Or you know, anyone else who works here, or anyone who works in a place we sell it too.

also
    How much is the base? Doesn't matter if the order is super common or different enough.

Quire.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that they're going to make it from Hiro's POV, and that sounds pretty cool in my mind.

I didn't know I wanted this movie.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I really dug pooh and Tarzan and ENG is really funny.

So yeah I'm in.

Quire.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yes.

That is all.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Wasn't Big Hero 6 kinda shitty?

steam_sig.png
    Big Hero 6? Guardians of the Galaxy?

Man, I love the choices Marvel is making for their movies, but I gotta wonder how they'll play with the general public.

• MrRavenMrRaven Registered User regular
    http://io9.com/5922321/marvels-next-big-movie-guardians-of-the-galaxy-will-set-up-for-avengers-2

Oh man, this could be good! And while I'm not sure how huge the appeal will be, I like that Marvel is making the choice.

This all makes me wish even more that WB / DC would get their act together. If they would find some passionate fans at the exec level (a la Feige) with a vision, they can get their own money train.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    Every time I read a new article about the GotG movie, an angel gets it's wings.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    DC's problem is that they are owned by Warner. And Warner has decided to use them as a proving ground. And they really have no idea how comic characters work. If you don't appeal to the fan base at all, it isn't going to get off the ground. I've been saying it for years that the end result has to have something in common with the source material, otherwise, why use the source material at all.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.