As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    A few helpful resources for when you play today

Lots of GUI and chat commands

A detailed guide to crafting

For those who like to tinker with their UI in more ways than usual

Also worth remembering that you can click on your map to leave your own markers. Due to the nature of certain puzzles, this is probably worth doing if you happen across something interesting.

EDIT: it appears that custom chat channels are in (as detailed in the above guide) so we can create a PA channel with the usual password. I haven't played AO so I don't know if channels stay alive when no one is online, hope so though.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    this patcher being down business is killing me.

PoolCue wrote: »

It's working now.

steam_sig.png
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    PoolCue wrote: »

It's working now.

Yeah but a bit slow ~ 2MB/s. So patch up before all the unwashed masses find out that the can play it in a couple hours.

So finally set. Against my better judgement I will join the force and start today. Game is playable and enjoyable but still could need way more polish.
    The "updated char creator" is scheduled for the end of August, same time when GW2 starts. :P

Templar with a shotgun/hammer build with a few dips into blood/pistol/sword/ar for passives or for a shotgun/claw build to solo lairs........

• bones09bones09 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Yet another little touch I enjoy about TSW is that the NPCs reference real world things instead of made up mumbo-jumbo.

I remember one pair of NPCs in particular. A dude made a Star Trek reference and his partner calls him out on it. Though it seemed (at least to me) that the guy only knew what the phrase meant and was unaware of its relation to Star Trek. :P

The best part about that exchange is that I'm pretty sure the actor that made the Star Trek reference is Tuvok.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    http://thesecretsandbox.com/DeckBuilder/

Character builder for TSW. Have at it.

I hope someone goes ahead and improves this. Basics are there, but man there's a lot more work that needs to be done.

Here is the good one, but its unfinished still as far as having all the skills in: http://tsw.mmoz.pl/tsw-skillwheel.html

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Maybe someone here has any idea what I am doing wrong when trying to install the game.

I am trying to install the client to my laptop, installation on my desktop PC was just fine.
    However, after downloading the executable setup.exe and running it, the launcher directly crashes with the notification "The Secret World has stopped working".
    I used the same setup.exe yesterday on my desktop without issues.

At first I thought this might be because of server downtime, but servers are up again and I can patch on my other PC, it is just the laptop where nothing goes.

I have uninstalled and redownloaded the setup.exe, I have deactivated antispyware/virus, I have started the executable as admin, I have switched install drives, because I thought maybe the client does not like SSD for some reason, I have the latest graphic card drivers and the system is new, machine is only 2 weeks old. I have installed a ton of games from my Steam account over the past 2 weeks and never had any issues. I have installed and played other online games(WoW, TF2, Day Z, D3) on this machine and never had any connection/lag/ping issues.

But for some reason the Secret World launcher fails all the time.
    Any ideas?

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ok, I know the servers aren't up yet, but should it be saying "Authentication Failure. Please note that passwords are case sensitive." when I hit the "Login" button? Just worries me a little.

Also, when setting the Graphic Options to Ultra, it turns off Tessellation and Motion Blur. From reading, Tessellation seems like something I'd want on?

I'll be on bright and early, but then I have to go talk to my motorcycle mechanic at 11ish. Hopefully that won't take long.

edited June 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    Ok, I know the servers aren't up yet, but should it be saying "Authentication Failure. Please note that passwords are case sensitive." when I hit the "Login" button? Just worries me a little.

Also, when setting the Graphic Options to Ultra, it turns off Tessellation and Motion Blur. From reading, Tessellation seems like something I'd want on?

I'll be on bright and early, but then I have to go talk to my motorcycle mechanic at 11ish. Hopefully that won't take long.

I get the same thing when trying to log on. Goto the games website and just make sure you can login there, it uses the same password as your main funcom account.

Tessellation is for extreme graphic whores, you literally need a still screenshot of a side by side comparison to really see the difference. I have a really beefy computer that I constantly upgrade, it can handle tessellation and max settings just fine... but I find it pointless so leave it off. Google it and goto images, you'll see a lot of dues ex screenshots where its compared... im simple terms it rounds off and smoothes out the edges of polygons.

Motion blur is a person preference thing.... I find it annoying as hell.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This isn't in any way accusing the gameplay, but Funcom's web team and account management teams are possibly the least capable humans on the planet. I wouldn't be worried about a login rejection, it's probably just their total lack of competence in that department.

What is this I don't even.
    Ya, my beta account is different from my actual game one... just because they made it to unclear for me to feel ok purchasing it while logged into my beta account... it gives a "create new account" thing when purchasing from my beta account login, which is stupid as shit 99% of the sites out there would have something like "upgrade to retail" or "already have account checkbox". Their site has always been a trainwreck for their other MMOs anyway.l

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This isn't in any way accusing the gameplay, but Funcom's web team and account management teams are possibly the least capable humans on the planet. I wouldn't be worried about a login rejection, it's probably just their total lack of competence in that department.

Word. I was in the early entry for AGE OF CONAN, and that was an absolute disaster on Funcom's part, which should have warned us about what to expect in the actual game...

Patching servers are up and I'm loading smoothly so far. If you're starting from scratch it's a 14.4 gig download.

edited June 2012
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

I get the same thing when trying to log on. Goto the games website and just make sure you can login there, it uses the same password as your main funcom account.

Tessellation is for extreme graphic whores, you literally need a still screenshot of a side by side comparison to really see the difference. I have a really beefy computer that I constantly upgrade, it can handle tessellation and max settings just fine... but I find it pointless so leave it off. Google it and goto images, you'll see a lot of dues ex screenshots where its compared... im simple terms it rounds off and smoothes out the edges of polygons.

Motion blur is a person preference thing.... I find it annoying as hell.

Ivy Bridge 3770k and a Nvidia 670 here. I think I can handle it. Tessellation "ON" it is!

"Ultra" settings also turns FXAA to normal instead of HQ.

OH. I get "Unable to connect to the authentication server" now when clicking Login. Progress!

Esh on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Loading and patching completed, took about an hour. I'm also receiving the authentication failure, which I assume is Funcom's way of telling me to wait 90 minutes.

Fairchild wrote: »
    Loading and patching completed, took about an hour. I'm also receiving the authentication failure, which I assume is Funcom's way of telling me to wait 90 minutes.

Pretty much, there is some usual release day rage on their forums already :D

steam_sig.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    There is about 1.6 gb of last minute patching, so try to do this before you want to play if you can.

fwKS7.png?1
    edited June 2012
    Any idea how to make that happen ?

EDIT- Never mind, just close the launcher and re-start to load that final patch.

Fairchild on
    Just made my character :)

steam_sig.png
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Patched and ready

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433

I assume you did lifetime and get in a bit early?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Has there been any consensus on exactly how we're all meant to communicate with each other once we roll on Arcadia?

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited June 2012

Nah I just ordered a couple months back.

I've created the templar guild The Last Christmas (dimension Arcadia) and am available on Adda for invites. You can also join the PA chat channel with the command

/chat join PA wang

Adda on
    steam_sig.png

I've created the templar guild The Last Christmas and am available on Adda for invites. You can also join the PA chat channel with the command

/chat join PA wang

Oh... hmmm. Not letting me in.

Did you get an email or anything? And i assume the login is the one specific to the secret world in our funcom account, or is it the funcom account itself?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited June 2012
    Oh I'm not sure I think it's the one specific to the game.

EDIT: doh I selected wrong server some how, deleting and recreating now.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I got an email. I pre ordered like a week ago.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

I've created the templar guild The Last Christmas and am available on Adda for invites. You can also join the PA chat channel with the command

/chat join PA wang

Oh... hmmm. Not letting me in.

Did you get an email or anything? And i assume the login is the one specific to the secret world in our funcom account, or is it the funcom account itself?

I'd also like to know this. I really warmed on the game after reading this thread (after having previously been burned by AoC and swearing off Funcom). I just got the basic game, though.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    I created on the wrong dimension again my god what is wrong with me

steam_sig.png
    I'd also like to know this. I really warmed on the game after reading this thread (after having previously been burned by AoC and swearing off Funcom). I just got the basic game, though.

Ive seen a few people on their forums say they are in and they pre-ordered a week ago.

So I dunno... seems just random as fuck right now.

Just a video game, but I am curious as to the logic behind who gets in and who doesn't right now. Some who have paid $199 for lifetime can't login yet even. So I dunno, weird.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ok, now I'm in. I recieved no email... so go figure.

The login name is indeed the secret world specific one and NOT the funcom one which in my case is different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Welp. They haven't yet fixed the "DX11 breaks the HUD" thing. :|

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Just received the early access email. Won't be home for about 8 hours or so, though.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    I'm in! Some nice changes to character creation and the intro since CB.

steam_sig.png
    Ugh, I'm getting the authentication error when I try to log in.

When you lot are able to get into Arcadia, I am "Josias", and I can invite you into We Are Nice Guys, the Illuminati cabal.

Triple B wrote: »
    Has there been any consensus on exactly how we're all meant to communicate with each other once we roll on Arcadia?

We will all think happy thoughts.

edited June 2012
    Ok, I'm in. Silja "Silja" Isholte. Templar. Going through the cinematic intro now.

Also, fuck this game looks nice,

Esh on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Triple B wrote: »
    Welp. They haven't yet fixed the "DX11 breaks the HUD" thing. :|

What does it break?
    I just hope the weird issue I had where it was VERY hard to interact with icons in the world (like quest icons, or picking up objects) is fixed.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Is the login to the game the same info used to login to the forums? I keep getting authentication errors.

edited June 2012
    Note to everyone is not to double click 'create character' as you will default to the top dimension. Me and Esh both fell foul of that :D

Also note that the channel has been updated so the command is now

/chat join PA Wang

Now with a capital Wang

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2012
    Is the login to the game the same info used to login to the forums? I keep getting authentication errors.

Make sure you're not using your email to login.

Esh on
This discussion has been closed.