As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

19495969798100»

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    proyebat wrote: »
    @MadCaddy, I don't own that board, just recommending a cheap Z77 for MagicPrime.

I wouldn't buy one because of a small details. It only has a heatsink on half the MOSFETs for the CPU buck converter. Also I'm not sure about how overclock-friendly the BIOS is. Also what keeps me attached to my MB (ASUS P8P76-M Pro) is a serial port and parallel port that I use to program various microcontrollers.

Ah yea, I'm just trying to figure out my upgrade path, since I'm not really in NEED of one yet, but could use more parts to make a server/htpc for a few rooms. I'm really wanting to get the best value upgrade over my ECS A8 with 975 Black Edition I've been running, and have the aforementioned 2 sticks of 8g 2400mhz Ares ra.. I really need to figure out if I want to go super rig and get 4 or 6 slots, and buy more (but then, wouldn't I want 26xx or 2700 (whatever it is).. I've also heard mixed reviews/results). I still am working way too much to do any "home repair" style computer work for a bit longer, but I foresee a lot of file transfering, and driver installs in my august..

Is anyone here well versed in 4k res monitors, and their possible computer interactions? I know it's a few years before the prices will drop low enough to be consumer grade, and even more for most gaming/media options to catch up, but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the hardware, and would like someone who could point me at what they consider best in show for the high end ATM.)

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Just dropping this off here: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Thunderbolt-Windows-ASUS-P8Z77-V-Premium-Pegasus-R4-and-Apple-Thunderbolt-Displ

If you're interested in 10gbps transfer rates, and x4000 resolution monitors, it's thunderbolt or bust is what I'm getting.. Also, prices on the cables will be down by Christmas according to Intel.

Displayport 1.2 can already carry 4K, and I don't know of any display devices capable of that resolution that aren't ruinously expensive/made up of multiple monitors (Eyefinity can essentially make a 4K screen out of a 2x2 grid of 1080p monitors). I also don't need 10 gigabit network speeds at home, and if I did, I'd just get CAT6. Regardless, Thunderbolt isn't actually its own display or networking standard, it just sends regular old Displayport and ethernet (and sometimes power, and USB, etc.) signals all together on a single high-bandwidth cable. That's great, but it doesn't really make me want to pay a premium on a motherboard for it, and invest in cables and a Thunderbolt hub, just so I don't have to plug as many cables into the back of my desktop.

I'd love a Thunderbolt capable ultrabook and display, though.

Well yea, I agree with all of that, but I think you either didn't read the article, or didn't read in between the lines (maybe watch TWICH for this week, I heard Ryan talks about it a bit more..) I'm not exactly an electrical engineer, or in possession of a comp sci degree, but I've been around computers and dicking with them all my life, and what I got out of the article is that the marketplace is gravitating towards the standard, and that the display port that you mention is thunderbolt already, and the prices will be dropping due to the fact that it'll be used by more than just Apple (their monopoly on it is the reason why it has held so high, but they are obviously diversifying a bit more.. Tim Cooks relationship with Samsung and Asus is so different and interesting to compare to Steve Jobs, but I actually think Tim Cook is a better CEO for a non-Cult of Persoanlity style Tech Company.. He reminds me of Eric Schmidt in a lot of ways.)

Back on topic, I heard of some sub $2k 4k res monitors (need to find the article, it might've been higher or lower than that.. I'm so bad at remembering these "forecasts" but letting them just influence my gut reaction..) I juts felt that article covered a lot of bases, and discussed a lot of intersting things. And that PC's are gonna have thunderbolt ports, and more than apple are manufacturing the cables, and we might even get true fiber optic cables for throughput bandwidth. I highly recommend the article, btw. I should dig up that one on Ars on here if I get any other responses from people that're interested in these sorts of things.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I think I'll be sending out for this before the day is done.

Total is $1,210.88 sub, $1,225.68 with shipping. Anything I should change before pulling the trigger?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

Total is $1,210.88 sub, $1,225.68 with shipping. Anything I should change before pulling the trigger?

Personally, I'd go with this samsung RAM instead of the Corsair stuff you have there. It's way smaller so you never have to worry about heatsink clearance, uses less power, is as fast or way way faster if you invest about 10 seconds overclocking it, and is just as much money.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Knight_ wrote: »

Personally, I'd go with this samsung RAM instead of the Corsair stuff you have there. It's way smaller so you never have to worry about heatsink clearance, uses less power, is as fast or way way faster if you invest about 10 seconds overclocking it, and is just as much money.

The Corsair RAM on there is part of a combo with the case, saving me $25. And would it be a problem OCing your sticks without heat spreaders?

EDIT: Also, if anyone is on Reddit...

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Knight_ wrote: »

The Corsair RAM on there is part of a combo with the case, saving me $25. And would it be a problem OCing your sticks without heat spreaders?

EDIT: Also, if anyone is on Reddit...

RAM heat spreaders don't do anything but get in the way of CPU heatsinks. If you're saving 25 dollars you can probably just keep the corsair ram if you don't mind those huge spreaders. The Samsung RAM OCs way higher than the Corsair RAM however, they're 30nm sticks. I have my 4x4GB sticks running at 2133 Mhz atm @ 9-9-9-24. Could probably push it tighter, but eh.

Also, if you're looking to shave off some dollars and you lose that Case/RAM deal, could always go with a CM 690 II. Don't get the 200mm fan, but it has so many 140mm mount holes that I don't really see the need. I have one so I'm biased, but I think it's a wonderful case.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    ughhhh why isn't the bitfenix prodigy out yet :(

(that is a rhetorical why)

I can ship you one from Germany if you like, they're out here.
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Just dropping this off here: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Thunderbolt-Windows-ASUS-P8Z77-V-Premium-Pegasus-R4-and-Apple-Thunderbolt-Displ

If you're interested in 10gbps transfer rates, and x4000 resolution monitors, it's thunderbolt or bust is what I'm getting.. Also, prices on the cables will be down by Christmas according to Intel.

Displayport 1.2 can already carry 4K, and I don't know of any display devices capable of that resolution that aren't ruinously expensive/made up of multiple monitors (Eyefinity can essentially make a 4K screen out of a 2x2 grid of 1080p monitors). I also don't need 10 gigabit network speeds at home, and if I did, I'd just get CAT6. Regardless, Thunderbolt isn't actually its own display or networking standard, it just sends regular old Displayport and ethernet (and sometimes power, and USB, etc.) signals all together on a single high-bandwidth cable. That's great, but it doesn't really make me want to pay a premium on a motherboard for it, and invest in cables and a Thunderbolt hub, just so I don't have to plug as many cables into the back of my desktop.

I'd love a Thunderbolt capable ultrabook and display, though.

Well yea, I agree with all of that, but I think you either didn't read the article, or didn't read in between the lines (maybe watch TWICH for this week, I heard Ryan talks about it a bit more..) I'm not exactly an electrical engineer, or in possession of a comp sci degree, but I've been around computers and dicking with them all my life, and what I got out of the article is that the marketplace is gravitating towards the standard, and that the display port that you mention is thunderbolt already, and the prices will be dropping due to the fact that it'll be used by more than just Apple (their monopoly on it is the reason why it has held so high, but they are obviously diversifying a bit more.. Tim Cooks relationship with Samsung and Asus is so different and interesting to compare to Steve Jobs, but I actually think Tim Cook is a better CEO for a non-Cult of Persoanlity style Tech Company.. He reminds me of Eric Schmidt in a lot of ways.)

Back on topic, I heard of some sub $2k 4k res monitors (need to find the article, it might've been higher or lower than that.. I'm so bad at remembering these "forecasts" but letting them just influence my gut reaction..) I juts felt that article covered a lot of bases, and discussed a lot of intersting things. And that PC's are gonna have thunderbolt ports, and more than apple are manufacturing the cables, and we might even get true fiber optic cables for throughput bandwidth. I highly recommend the article, btw. I should dig up that one on Ars on here if I get any other responses from people that're interested in these sorts of things.

Don't get me wrong, I think Thunderbolt is very cool. I think that, for certain applications (a laptop you'd like to use as a "desktop" as well, for example) it might already be worthwhile, despite the premium. It's nice that you can get high transfer speeds off external storage, but that honestly seems like a niche application to me, one primarily related to the aforementioned "laptop as desktop" usage scenario. Thunderbolt hasn't and won't replace Ethernet, given a max run length of 3 meters, and networked storage through a NAS or Home Server is more versatile than sharing those external drives, not to mention that you'd still be limited by the speed of your network in that case. I haven't seen any 4K displays under $2000.00, or any 4K displays at all, really. The displays would have to be quite large to make the resolution useable, and a 1440p screen already costs you at least $1000.00 on a good day, so my bet is that any 4K display worth having would be at least twice that. Even then, you'd be able to run Displayport cable to it, the spec doesn't require Thunderbolt.

What I'm trying to say here is that it's not necessary, or even desirable, to jump on the Thunderbolt bandwagon at the moment. It's a cool spec, it's interesting, and I do think that it represents at least a very likely future for the industry, but it comes at a premium at the moment, and it doesn't actually do anything that I'm willing to pay that premium for. When implementation is widespread, and the price evens out, then I'll be interested.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Also: everybody out of the pool, jump into the new pool. The cleaner pool.

Alecthar on
This discussion has been closed.