As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New member, sharing some art (Possibly NSFW)

MilenkoMilenko Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hi to all.
I am new here, just joined the boards today.
Since I am an artist, and this here is the art section, I would like to share a few bits of my work.
I hope you like them.

Cheers to all,

Milenko

JenaAndtheWolf_blog_nov_2010.jpg
Happiness_by_FerdinandKreozot.jpg
StormPirates_blog_Jan_011.jpg

Milenko on

• MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    This is some beautiful, beautiful work! I love the emotion on those character, truly wonderful.

Have some time, check out my blog
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    The second one is calling my name.

• Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    Man that is wonderful work right there, I'm a sucker for floaty ships.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Awesome style! :D Welcome to the Artist's Corner.

Only critique I have right now is that I think you could use some hue variation in some of your color choices. Some of the colors seem very "standard green, standard pink, standard red", etc. It can get a little dull in some areas...or confusing, like the boat, where the color of the wood almost matches the skin tones of some of the ladies.

Great characters though! Keep posting :)

NightDragon on
  • MilenkoMilenko Registered User regular
    Ah, thank you all for the kind comments.
    And Jennifer, well spotted :)
    I am partially color blind, and was always really cautious when picking colors, because I can barely see any difference between them.
    Photoshop makes the task easier, but still I am always trying to be cautious because I do not really know what is acceptable. I used to paint green people without even knowing they were green (and that was really embarrassing :))
    i am trying harder these days though and I hope it gets better.
    Cheers to all,

MIlenko

And some more art:
    sketch04blogJun012.jpg
    DeathOfadOrcBlogFeb012.jpg
    BAK_detail02_mtblog_march011.jpg
    ssh0t_blog_march_011.jpg

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    You may want to stay away from using pure whites as highlights: that should be reserved for slimy or plasticy items. Other than that, you've got a great style going and everything is structured in a pretty fantastic way.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    :) Good advice, I never thought about it. It always feels wrong and I was never getting what I want with it, but kept on doing it out of the habit.
    Will keep it in mind.
    Cheers,

Milenko

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You've got some beautiful lines and a lovely sense of form. Good stuff. I look forward to seeing more.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Yar. Excellent works.

The shading on the skull guy is something I think your color work could use. The darker shading will help add depth and form where some of the color pieces seem flat.

Hope you stay around.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    You have a really confident, interesting, and technically proficient style. The creatures and anthropomorphic characters especially are all excellent, I love the big skeleton guy in particular.

The only negative comment I would make-- and obviously this is just my subjective reaction-- is that I find the stylization on the human figures in the first set of images to be somewhat unappealing. It conjures up comparisons to Troll/Bratz dolls and in general they're just a bit odd looking. Maybe I am deeply unsettled by the idea of animated dolls. I'm much more drawn to the figure opposite the skeleton.

ND's spot on observation about color variation is probably contributing somewhat to the doll-like appearance. Their skin has the appearance of oily rubber or some other polymer.

Scosglen on
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    Faded Sneakers, yeah, there is always a long way to go. With art, it is that perpetual learning that never stops. I have to get MUCH better to get where I want to be, but that "get better" bar is moving away faster than I can improve myself. It is very frustrating. I have been intending to try stronger shadows in colored pieces, but for some reason I always chicken out. Will try it next time.
    Scosglen, in regards to the appeal, we all have our own path. When I am not working for the clients I tend to fall back to this style, I guess because I like it.
    Sooo, you might not like the next few pieces :)

Cheers,

MIlenko
    Some t-shirt designs:
    T08BlogMay012.jpg
    A little storybook Joke:
    LilPrincessAndHerUnicorn_blog_Apr011.jpg
    Homage to Frazetta:
    FrazettaChickBlogJan_2011.jpg
    And a game poster:
    vessel_BlogJan012.jpg

Milenko on
  • BadturkeyBadturkey Registered User new member
    Holy smokes *___*

I--

*faints*

• NicNic Registered User regular
    The frazetta one is great, as are the other ones on your blog.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    That game poster is great, and in general the work in here is pretty awesome. Really enjoying your sense of form.

:)
    thanks guys.
    Here is a new sketch, a little over the top :)

Cheers,

Milenko

WhatnotBlogJuly2012.jpg

Drawing without the reference, and also getting into the murky NSFW waters but it should be fine since I put it into the name of the thread:)
    It was not meant to be on model though, rather my take on the character, and I had fun drawing so that should count.

Cheers,

Milenko

TwinkeyBlogJuly2012.jpg

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    The shoes dont seem to have enough work on them as the butt :P

All the shadows and lights look pretty arbitrary, and I dont have an issue with that. but, in the upside-down one, the face looks a bit skewed, as if the shadows you cast make a shape that looks like the chin, but its not centered at all.

Other than that, I like your stuff.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Oh snap, did you do the artwork for vessel? Saw some stuff for it from GDC. Anyways, great work and welcome!

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Is that fairy Mexican? She has mighty yellow skin. You could also do with adding some saturated mid-tones to the skin to really bring out the warmth in it.

:)
    Fantomas, once I was done with the butt, everything else was just an after thought :) Shadows wise, I do have tendency to throw them in just to add some volume to the plain color drawing, often putting them in the wrong place. But it doesn't matter, because it is just a sketch for fun.
    Prospicience, yep, I was Art directing and level building on vessel, and thanks, it is interesting to be here, cheers to you.
    M3nace, If it looks like she is Mexican, she probably is :) - it is often like that. Your coloring tip has been noted, and will try to keep it in mind and try it out next time(s) I am doing stuff. However, if you can link me to an example of what you had in mind, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Milenko