As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monitor recommendations?

see317see317 Registered User regular
My current monitor is dying on me. It's got bad screen flickers and it's buzzing, just started earlier this week.
It's an HP 2509m that I picked up when Ultimate Electronics closing coincided with me getting a tax refund.

The thing is out of warranty and the suggestions I've been able to find online don't help; most of them being to check the refresh rate/resolution, the others being people facing the same issue with no resolution raging at the customer service people.

So, not seeing any other threads dedicated to monitors either repairing or replacing, I figured I'd create one. What's a good brand that won't quit on me a month after the warranty ends?
My desk space is kind of limited so a dual monitor set up isn't likely to happen, but I do like having a lot of screen space.

see317 on

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    If you're cool with a standard TN panel, there are a ton of 1080p monitors available. What's you price range?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I was hoping to keep it under $200.
    If it costs more to get a monitor that will last until I decide to replace it (as opposed to being forced to replace it because it died) then I could live with that. I was just hoping someone would toss out a few brands to avoid or a brand that tends to last.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    There are a lot of adequate TN panels around for that kind of money. Dell does solid work with their IPS panels (you can get a 21.5 version of , so their TN panels are likely fairly good as well. This ASUS IPS panel looks like a great deal, good responsiveness for an IPS panel, and you get all the benefits of greater color range and grayscale performance, along with a 3 year warranty, which is solid.