As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

index page refresh/redesign

13»

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Are you adverse to changing out the icons later if someone comes up with something that seems to fit better? I don't have any recommendations in this regard at this moment, but I dig it when folks are flexible.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe it's late to suggest this, but what if that sidebar had an option to show the subscribed threads list? I use that more than I use the main list. Maybe not for everyone, though, so it would just be an option.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Maybe it's late to suggest this, but what if that sidebar had an option to show the subscribed threads list? I use that more than I use the main list. Maybe not for everyone, though, so it would just be an option.

I think that is a very interesting idea.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would also love the subscribed threads on there.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

A very interesting idea.
    do it.
    doo eet.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    I edited pretty quick after posting the bad url... It should be http://xa44.com/img/after.gif

Yeah, that works.

But then, basically what you have there is the current forum index shoehorned into a collapsible menu (in a less user friendly method, might I add, due to the forum titles being abbreviated) and a second, less functionally useful, forum index taking up most of the page.

I third the notion for having the subscribed threads list on the right, with the recent post/poster link amalgamated under the main forum titles.

Edit: Actually, no. The menu is in some ways better than the current index, due to having more options. I think what would be a change for the better if a change must take place is to make the menu thing bigger. Have the icons for the forums, but smaller, running across the top of the page for people to just jump into a particular forum but expand upon the idea of a flexible and more powerful root navigation system on the index page. This would be fantastic for multi-forum users like myself and still provide easy access to a forum's entire list of threads for people who just like to hang out in one forum.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

A very interesting idea.
    do it.
    doo eet.

I 5th this awesome idea, my bookmark goes straight to my user CP so I can check on all my subscribed threads first. Then I can navigate out to check the forums. But putting the subscribed threads on the right means they would be right there with no need to click a button to check on the status of my subscribed threads or set my bookmark to user CP instead of the index.

Also I think that having a line that separates the forum pictures by category would be useful. Like maybe two so you can have chat forums: SE++(and D&D I guess); PA Projects forums: Pax and Adventures; and Topical forums: Everything else. The category line would also help with temp forums becasue it would A) be really obvious as it would make a new row, B) not mess up the order of the other forums under their categories.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like the alternate side-bar idea shown here:
    after.gif

I'd also like to make a suggestion. Instead of making just the text of a forum the link (such as Games and Technology) why not make the whole thing a box you can click on? And when you mouse over it, the box changes colour to show what you have selected. Like this:

example.jpg

I was also thinking, to space all of the different forums out, you could put a dashed line border around them, like the dashed line border that goes around spoilers.
    ^^^^ see?

As a whole I like the new design.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ramius, I am really digging this idea. I think it looks great and I definetly trust you to produce a good product. The grey background though is kinda killing the awesome look everything else has going. Not sure if you have already addressed this or what but is there any way to get a more interesting design back there or something?

All in all, I am liking it and I say you've got a good track record that shows you know just what the fuck you are doing.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ramius, that newest image is much easier to live with than the initial one you posted, so I take back my "change is bad" opinion. It looks quite nice.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I dig the entire thing thus far. It looks beautiful.

However, in my opinion, I think it would be cool if instead of using the headset guy for G&T, he might be better placed as the H/A icon, considering he looks like a call center dude, ready to help you out. Also, not sure what the correlation between Twisp's face and SE++ is? I have heard it's the blank, almost amazed, look on his face.

Officer on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Recruit wrote: »
    I dig the entire thing thus far. It looks beautiful.

However, in my opinion, I think it would be cool if instead of using the headset guy for G&T, he might be better placed as the H/A icon, considering he looks like a call center dude, ready to help you out. Also, not sure what the correlation between Twisp's face and SE++ is? I have heard it's the blank, almost amazed, look on his face.

I think it's the whole gibberish and non-sequitur aspect of the forum.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, the samurai with a sword in his eye clearly needs help. He's the perfect fit for H/A

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    Also, the samurai with a sword in his eye clearly needs help. He's the perfect fit for H/A

He accurately represents a large demographic of the H/A population. I bet it was a girl that did it to him, as well.

"Need help with violent girlfriend. Also, knife in eye"

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

He accurately represents a large demographic of the H/A population. I bet it was a girl that did it to him, as well.

"Eye problems: should I bother to see a doctor?"

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

"Eye problems: should I bother to see a doctor?"

:lol:

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That latest mock-up looks great, Ramius. Question: would the forum headings remain static, or would it be possible to re-arrange them? Like an iGoogle page, or MySpace's "Top 8?"

Something tells me that would be a bitch to code (if even possible), but it'd be great to have the customizability.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png