As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] The 6th Annual West Coast Train Trip

• ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    Alright. I'm sure if I bring it someone will use it..haha

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Dhutch wrote: »
    I think the projector is a great idea. Last year, the arcade car ended up pretty empty, but we were overcrowding the obs deck so much that Amtrak was calling us out a bit; having another place for people to hang out would be great.

That said, I will be gaming most of the time, but will need time away from that from time to time. TIME.
    Dhutch wrote: »
    I think the projector is a great idea. Last year, the arcade car ended up pretty empty, but we were overcrowding the obs deck so much that Amtrak was calling us out a bit; having another place for people to hang out would be great.

That said, I will be gaming most of the time, but will need time away from that from time to time. TIME.

There was an Arcade car?.. I only thought there was the obs deck..

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    There was an Arcade car?.. I only thought there was the obs deck..
    Yeah, the arcade area is usually a few cars back from Obs, and downstairs. Kind and intrepid souls have set up Twister and Rock Band down there, in the past, but it requires some willing volunteers. (Special thanks again to those in the past who have stepped up.)

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    Chazzon wrote: »
    Crogoth wrote: »
    What do you mean by "weren't all positive"

Their was confusion on who paid, and who did not pay. Alot of us paid for the pizza, and when it got to the train it was clear their was not enough pizza for the amount of people. Many folks admitted they were not aware and chipped in some.

The idea was great, if we decide to do it again, maybe group 2-3 people up per box and see if the pizza guys will put a group name per box/box's. We are all a family on the train, and I personally don't mind sharing. But we should work on organizing the pizza run a bit more for this year.

just my 0.2c

just an idea, but what if we got bracelets to be able to tell apart those who donated from those who didn't?party-wristbands-makes-the-party-more-stylish-07.jpg

• HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    Wheee, tickets finally bought. Should've gotten them sooner, but meh, didn't affect my cost at all. And this year I *won't* miss the train coming back south!

Wheee, tickets finally bought. Should've gotten them sooner, but meh, didn't affect my cost at all. And this year I *won't* miss the train coming back south!

that's one of my biggest concerns for my first pax :(

• polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular

that's one of my biggest concerns for my first pax :(

As long as you're in a cab headed for the station roughly 1 hour or so before the train departs, you should be fine. The cab ride from the Sheraton is about 10 minutes and was about $7 last year.

steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Chee-Kay EchsChee-Kay Echs Registered User regular
    Hello.

This will be the first W.C.T.T. that I will not be greeting at Seattle. Why, you ask? Well, I actually have the week off, so I will be joining the train from PDX up to SEA- a first.

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that King Street Station has... changed a bit. They have started the next phase of the restoration, so we have moved the lobby a bit further down in the station. I will post pictures of the new digs on the FB page in the next couple days...

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Awesome. It'll be great to have you on board for once!

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • DhutchDhutch Registered User regular
    @Crogoth Yeah, I ended up just getting up early and walking to the station (roughly as far as from the Center) to get on the return train, since I knew I could just pass out once I boarded.

@Chee-Kay Awesome! I remember you!

Ravenclaw, Dumbledore's Army! CaCAW! 2011 TWDT Winners!
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    Out of curiousity...with this thing getting as big as it is and it does sound like, from previous posts, that we could possibly get an additional car added to ease the swelling on the train. I wouldn't mind calling to inquire if we can get a car all to ourselves. It maybe asking a bit much of Amtrak but since they're probably aware of our yearly pilgrimage and keeping us all in one car with our musics and Game of Thrones would be easier for them...it's worth a shot right? If you guys give me the hi-sign I'll call asap

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    We've done that before but unless someone wants to sugar daddy us a ton of dough along with the fact that not everyone is getting on in LA (where they would need to add the car), it's highly unlikely it'll happen.

• millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »
    We've done that before but unless someone wants to sugar daddy us a ton of dough along with the fact that not everyone is getting on in LA (where they would need to add the car), it's highly unlikely it'll happen.

really? but wouldn't they prefer we were all sequestered in our own car? I'm still willing to try if no one objects...If they seem keen I'll try to get the extra car starting in L.A but if not I'll see if there's anything they would be willing to give us

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    How many PAXers usually ride the train?

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    The train sells out of seats. Here's the relatively quiet morning, past the midway point.
    Observation car photo.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    Yamara wrote: »
    The train sells out of seats. Here's the relatively quiet morning, past the midway point.
    Observation car photo.

i was looking at the roster and only saw 16 entries, but then i noticed all the "+1"s

edited June 2012
    If they get a glut of ticket requests, they'll add more cars. That's how it works. Supposedly.

Arikado on
  • MojoDCMojoDC VIP Manager CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hi guys, this will be my first time joining the train trip. Usually I can't make it due to PAX setup, but they don't need me for that this year. Looking forward to seeing all of you!

• WanderlustingWanderlusting Farmer Paso Robles, CaRegistered User new member
    Hi,

This sounds fun! Going to my first PAX this year and now seriously considering taking this train up from LA.

A couple of Q's if anyone can help me:
    -Do you leave your carry ons at your seat when in the Observation level or is there room in the observation level for them?
    -How comfortable are the tables for guys wider around the middle?
    -How do we find the PAX group once on board?

Thanks!

Hi,

This sounds fun! Going to my first PAX this year and now seriously considering taking this train up from LA.

-Do you leave your carry ons at your seat when in the Observation level or is there room in the observation level for them?
    All your bags are "carry ons", really, as the just store them on the train either above your seats or in some cargo areas. We brought our "carry ons" with us to the Obs car, though, which there was room for if your carry on is just like, a backpack or something. No need to bring your clothes up front.

They're standard bench tables like you'd get at a food place. If I remember correctly, there were some wider peeps on the train that seemed fine? Otherwise there's these like tableless-seats that look out the windows towards the front of the car.

Go to the Observation Deck! Though, if you're getting on at LA, you'll probably see the starting group waiting for the train and can meet up with them then.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
  • xstrykrxstrykr Registered User new member
    edited June 2012
    So, this is my first time posting on here, but I just bought my one-way ticket to Seattle. See you all at Union Station!

Edit: Didn't see it, but if anyone's ever played the board game Settlers of Catan, I'd be willing to bring my copy of it since it's actually fairly small to bring.

xstrykr on
    xstrykr wrote: »
    So, this is my first time posting on here, but I just bought my one-way ticket to Seattle. See you all at Union Station!

Edit: Didn't see it, but if anyone's ever played the board game Settlers of Catan, I'd be willing to bring my copy of it since it's actually fairly small to bring.

I think most people have played and love that game! You should bring it if you want to play it. Last year I saw games of Arkham Horror, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin, Arigola, Dominion, and a ton other board games.

Hello.

Out of curiosity, when is the 2012 Promo video for this coming out?

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately there probably won't be a new promo vid for 2012. one of my harddrives died recently. and thus i've lost all my video projects from the past 5-7 years. I still have all the footage from all previous PAXTrains on tape, but i currently lack the storage capacity to capture it to a harddrive. Anything i'd like to do with that footage needs to wait untill i can afford to buy a new harddrive

SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    what about shirts? we should probably get on that soon too.

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    there has been some talk via PM's over who we'd be using to print the shirts but no one seems to have come forward with a design as of yet. If anyone has any artistic ability at all we'd love to have you design a t-shirt logo for this year's trip. If worse comes to worse I'll work on some variation of the logo i've been using in the promo vids from previous years.

SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    I might have a shirt design from our last few years' designer - will update later. But if anyone else had ideas, they should feel free to post them.

Hello.

I might have a shirt design that's workable. I will be working on it today and tomorrow, and will let you know by Tuesday...

Proposed T-Shirt Design:

pax-WCTT2012-02.jpg

Your feedbacks! Show me them!

Hello.

About 50-65% with my idea. I am going in a different direction that past choices. I am creating an homage to gaming AND a rather familiar film- at least to Time Cruiser Mike...

Hello.

You ever get an inspiration and it consumes you? Yeah, this was that. Now I kept it simple- limiting it to black, white, and gray. (The green is whatever the T-shirt color is. It is just in for show.) I wanted to show some love to video games (hence the portal), Tabletop games (look at the train number), Some accuracy to the train (Amtrak uses Genesis engines-I slightly modified to make it cameo-friendly), and of course to one of the greatest movies ever made: Back to the Future 2 (The logo gave me the inspiration.) The color scheme can be further simplified if need be (I was having fun with gradients on the windows) and its current size is 25" x 25"- and that can be adjusted as need be. Finally, since I have saved all the individual layers I made for this separately, I cold go even more into it by making a design for the entry portal on the back...

XxmEk.jpg

I hope it's worth considering. Please, let me know what you think...

Hello.

Hmmm...

I see some ways to fix it. I will change the order when I flatten the layers again, that should take care of the lines showing in the lettering...

Plus, mmmaybe some gray on the tracks...

Do consider that having a third ink color will increase the cost. Do you really need both white and gray?

The shirt doesnt have to be green, but having done red and blue previously, it seemed like a good choice.

Hello.

A more simplified color scheme with a small bit of added detail. (FINALLY got the layer order right.)

dyAbH.jpg

Please let me know what you think, for good or for ill...

• gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    Honestly, I like this one more. It's got a prominent PAX logo (which I liked about last year's because people at the office come up to me when they see PAX on my shirt). And I'm not a fan of gradients...maybe it's just my personal dislike of gradients as a web developer. The only critique I will give Weenob's design is I wish the silhouette of the train was more prominent. Maybe a black silhouette instead? I love the vector art! (Which might also be a side effect of being a web developer.)
    Weenog42 wrote: »
    Proposed T-Shirt Design:

pax-WCTT2012-02.jpg

Your feedbacks! Show me them!

Also, for those of you who don't know already. There is a facebook group for West Coast PAX Traingoers. It used to be for 2011 goers, but I changed it to just in general. I am on facebook more than I am on the forums -_-. I usually post the photos there first. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/174659255921071/

Unfortunately there probably won't be a new promo vid for 2012. one of my harddrives died recently. and thus i've lost all my video projects from the past 5-7 years. I still have all the footage from all previous PAXTrains on tape, but i currently lack the storage capacity to capture it to a harddrive. Anything i'd like to do with that footage needs to wait untill i can afford to buy a new harddrive

Oh NO. One of my worst fears is losing all of my photography. I am SO SORRY. I would be so devastated, and you're a trooper for getting through it!

A few additional comments. There's plenty of overhead space, especially if you're coming from LA. There's a 2 bag limit, I believe. The benches in Obs will fit a bigger guy, but the table will poke you in the belly a little. You'll fit but it's not extraordinarily comfortable. I heard my buddy complain only once.

Also, at the train station, look for woot/threadless/gamer t-shirts, pax train shirts, Nintendo DS's/Vita's, and groups of people together that look like they are awesome. If you're there after the train is boarding, then the Observation Deck for sure!! :) Make sure to bring board games and other awesome stuff!! :)
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    Hi,

All your bags are "carry ons", really, as the just store them on the train either above your seats or in some cargo areas. We brought our "carry ons" with us to the Obs car, though, which there was room for if your carry on is just like, a backpack or something. No need to bring your clothes up front.

They're standard bench tables like you'd get at a food place. If I remember correctly, there were some wider peeps on the train that seemed fine? Otherwise there's these like tableless-seats that look out the windows towards the front of the car.

Go to the Observation Deck! Though, if you're getting on at LA, you'll probably see the starting group waiting for the train and can meet up with them then.

edited July 2012
    what are the limitations on baggage? I have a computer case that i want to bring along with me, as well as my ontrain junk and actual luggage. my question i guess is: is there a weight/dimension limit?

edit: not a big fan of double posting.

i reread the original post and noticed some (a lot) of the stuff that we're going to need still hasn't been confirmed by anyone, you can go ahead and write me down for an electric fan along with the power strip i already confirmed.

Crogoth on
  • WanderlustingWanderlusting Farmer Paso Robles, CaRegistered User new member
    Bought our tickets! Now just have to figure out which games to bring.
    Oh, and pack :/

By the way, I checked the Amtrak site a couple days after buying our tickets and they had a single seat $30 cheaper. I called them and they gave me the sales price for one of our tickets. The customer service rep was very nice and mentioned that I might want to keep checking their site for seats that go on sale. Since I didn't see anyone mention it, thought I might.

This discussion has been closed.