As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    Oh boy, the low priority pool again! WAHOOOOO

smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I found out earlier that wisp and Chaos Knight is a hilarious combo. Since your w puts the enemy on the other side of you tether will automatically hit the guy you target and then you can stun with yours. And its hilarious to use wisp's ult to teleport to another lane real fast gank then go back to farming your lane.

can you tether an opponent and then teleport them with you back into your fountain/nest of teammates?

camo_sig.png
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    I found out earlier that wisp and Chaos Knight is a hilarious combo. Since your w puts the enemy on the other side of you tether will automatically hit the guy you target and then you can stun with yours. And its hilarious to use wisp's ult to teleport to another lane real fast gank then go back to farming your lane.

can you tether an opponent and then teleport them with you back into your fountain/nest of teammates?

Pretty sure tether only works on allies. But I was the CK so i dunno for sure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    mts wrote: »

Pretty sure tether only works on allies. But I was the CK so i dunno for sure.

that would be sweet if you could do teleport an enemy hero even if they nerfed it to be short distance

according to the wiki, its only allied units

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular

This is pretty incredible.

Vic wrote: »

It is awesome. Its just like "oh well you are fucked now squishy". We were trying to work on getting a second tether in place for a second stun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VicVic Registered User regular

It is awesome. Its just like "oh well you are fucked now squishy". We were trying to work on getting a second tether in place for a second stun.

Should not be too difficult considering Rift has a 6 second cooldown at rank 4. To be fair I feel that Chaos Knight works great with pretty much any other character with a stun, but that sounds like a particularly nice combo.

edited July 2012

Should not be too difficult considering Rift has a 6 second cooldown at rank 4. To be fair I feel that Chaos Knight works great with pretty much any other character with a stun, but that sounds like a particularly nice combo.

No the problem is tether only stuns a person once per instance of tether. So we are trying to get it to have him have a second tether up by the time my rift is on cooldown.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    chaos knight is literally one of the best supports, and i would argue wisp is too --- expect to see chaos knight in a ton of tournament matches (if not banned!) once the tournaments catch up with the hero pool.

wisp, is a little different. he's really skill demanding in a hero specific way, whereas most support heroes are skill demanding in a support hero way. playing a roaming venge is almost 1 for 1 the same as a roaming earthshaker, for the most part. whereas wisp has a lot of little wisp intricacies between smart positioning to get tether pulls and stuns and smart teleports that i think it will be a while before he is really picked up en masse. i foresee someone like ns with dazzle having success with him and people then emulating accordingly.

its pretty cool that icefrog can still make strong and compelling supports, considering for the longest time you basically only saw the support heroes that have basically been dota standbys for years. cm, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    one of the few wisp games from dota 1 i watched dendi was playing him and he streamed playing wisp the other day

i hope wisp is a hero dendi picks up

his stream was hilarious, he kept telling sand king to ult every time it was up and he would teleport sand king mid channel into the enemy team or onto a single person

just fucking imagine that

you see sand king bot and you are top

and suddenly there is a fucking epicenter and burrowstrike on your noggin

19ZUtIw.png
    wisp + any initiator is really scary. sure, you get a notification that they're coming, but goddamn a ravage out of nowhere or a black hole is just ridiculous.

i don't think dendi would ever play him (no solo mid no play) but lightofheaven is bound to eventually make some amazing plays with him, like he does on support windrunner. (its pretty hilarious sing calls crazy shackleshots as lightofheaven'd)

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    So apparently if you use the dota_range_display command, hero particle effects don't show up until they've died once. It's a shame since I really liked having the ring, but I think I like particle effects working properly at the start of a game more. It's especially bad with wisp, what with him not having a model.

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    chaos knight is literally one of the best supports...

Who the heck plays CK as support? @_@

He's probably my new favorite of the heroes added in the last month though. The Wisp/CK lane really is insane.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    pardzh wrote: »

He's probably my new favorite of the heroes added in the last month though. The Wisp/CK lane really is insane.

he's not a support in the sense of like, boots magic stick cm.

but he's definitely not a carry? i mean, his main utility is ensuring that whenever x violent action happens to the other team, they will lose the chase. i guess he functions similarly to brewmaster in this regard, but i feel that while he can definitely carry through armlet/crit shenanigans, in competitive dota he is usually played as a super agressive trilane hero or something.

i guess you could label that as a ganker, but really he's there for his stun and reality rift basically ensuring a shit ton of kills.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So, if I wanted to play this game, what would be the best way to get hold of a key?

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    I would like to know this as well. I got a friend who wants in, but beyond registering for an invite on steam or paying forty dollars I didn't know what to tell him.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Register on Dota2.com and wait, or buy a few keys and trade them for Dota invites in the public chats. Its much cheaper that way. think its like 2-4 keys per invite or so now, which would be ~$10

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular

but he's definitely not a carry? i mean, his main utility is ensuring that whenever x violent action happens to the other team, they will lose the chase. i guess he functions similarly to brewmaster in this regard, but i feel that while he can definitely carry through armlet/crit shenanigans, in competitive dota he is usually played as a super agressive trilane hero or something.

i guess you could label that as a ganker, but really he's there for his stun and reality rift basically ensuring a shit ton of kills.

he's got 3x crit and his ult gives him three copies that deal full damage

he's not the hardest carry in the world, but he can potentially stun someone and deal 12*damage in the span of a second

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I just had a game over at 1 minute 47 seconds. Should I feel bad?

I was radiant and went Rubick, went to the top rune spawn for 00.
    Na'ix was sitting around there and going to presumably jungle after it. He dived in to try and be on top of the rune at 00 and I threw him to high ground. Instantly left the game, abandoned a minute and a half later.

Game is safe to leave, stats will not be recorded. I was really hoping he'd stay in the game and I'd get an easy win.

stimtokolos on
    Carnarvon wrote: »

he's got 3x crit and his ult gives him three copies that deal full damage

he's not the hardest carry in the world, but he can potentially stun someone and deal 12*damage in the span of a second

right, but that's akin to sven being a carry because he has an ult and cleave, whereas i think both are in the spot where they are seemingly best utilized in aggressive ganking and aggressive support, with ck coming out on top because he has a button that says "i am done chasing you, and you will die", which is tailor made for one of the obstacles in succeeding in that role (securing chases before they get out of hand). like i said, they can both easily deal out the damage -- but i think they are just slightly more towards the support side than the carry side. of course, sven is kind of meh regardless and ck is hot shit, so i think reality rift is ridiculous.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Sven is a poor carry because anyone can just kite him. You can't kite CK.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    CK is an amazing carry. And he becomes powerful way sooner than most carries. All he needs is a Drum, BKB and treads and it's face wrecking time . He can out carry some agi carries late game and most of them mid game. He is not in any way a support, but you can play him as a ganker if you have nowhere to farm.

He's nothing like Sven because Sven needs tons and tons of farm to do anything but stun and get kited around.

Drool on
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    CK is first ban/pick material in recent tournaments. He carries as hard as a Strength carry can (short of Lycan?), he comes online pretty quick, he lanes well, and he can push hard with his clones. He's scary stuff.

Sejarki on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    that fucking million year long stun.

camo_sig2.png
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Why do people get a PK on Puck? They sure as hell don't do that on QoP, and ultimately the pair plays fairly similarly. Or at least I play them more or less the same. Pick up a void stone early and you can get a retarded amount of farm while ganking 24/7.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    blink + phase shift = you don't die

it's also easier to initiate with blink + ult than with the orb + ult

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Puck and QoP are kind of nothing alike, particularly not late game.

Puck is an initiator and disabler, QoP is a damage dealer. They are both good gankers but for different reasons, and it is a lot harder to get good farm early game with puck.

The blink dagger is important on Puck to place that ulti well, the orb is simply too slow and allows people to disperse or get their BKBs ready. The standard way for puck to initiate a fight late game is spot 3 or more enemies in a group, blink in and use ult and silence, then throw your orb out and phase shift to avoid damage until it is far enough to let you get out. Then you can auto attack and use whatever CC or support items you have managed to pick up.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I randomed and got witch doctor last night. He seemed pretty fun and useful, but my team could not play together at all so it was kinda wasted. What's a good combo to go with him?

He's definitely a carry. He gets there by ganking, though, so I guess that makes him different that good ol' ricin' Antimage.

My rule of thumb so far is farm Bottle, Wand, and Treads. Keep farming for a bit, but as soon as you get a good rune / see someone out of position on the map, it's time to go a-murderin'. Next item is generally Heart, and if I get there, the game is practically over.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Forcestaff on Vengeful Spirit makes her the greatest carry.

"Is he looking in my direction? Hahahaha that fucking retard."

• CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    NA'VI rolling with the Ogre Magi right now on JoinDota livestream, love that Magi.

Creamstout on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    not to mention orb of venom first ogre magi

my world

just got rocked

19ZUtIw.png
    glaives stack with mjolnir! this changes everything.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    i finally got to play luna last night. I can see myself liking her a lot if i ever get to play her more.

i think i could actually be more carry like with her than other carries.

camo_sig.png
  • SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    page, doesnt only glaives first hit stack with mjllnlnlnlnlnlnnr

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
    The thing is that mjolnir doesn't override glaives when it procs, so you get 2 bouncing projectiles.

Though glaives are really buggy right now so it's hard to say how they'll end up.

stream
    God damn it, my 2 immediate bosses are out of the office this week so I have plenty of time to fuck off AKA watch JoinDota streams but of course that won't work. No flash installed on our stupid IE6, despite working for a Top 500 company, and I lack the permissions to install it.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    not to mention orb of venom first ogre magi

my world

just got rocked

I love Orb of Venom. I like to pick up on supports because it makes your lane harass that much more annoying.

• JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    Hmm
    Can anyone else not get into the game? I get stuck on 'connecting to the Dota 2 network'

VyQGM.jpg
  • JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    Wow, the servers are MAJORLY fucked tonight.

VyQGM.jpg