As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oops I broke my wrist and Weaver broke his everything.

1789101113»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh man, I've broken each of my wrists. Not as badly as yours though. I just cracked my carpal scaphoid.
    The first time it was from falling out of my girlfriend's bed. The second one was even stupider.
    The first was especially bad because it was my right wrist, and I broke it the day before finals.
    My professors were very understanding though. A couple of them let me type up my essay questions (which meant I finished faster than I would have normally, because I type left-handed faster than I write. At least legibly.) My programming prof normally had people write their code by hand on tests, but let me type it, which was nice, man, C++ is a bitch with just your left hand because of all the ()[]{} goin' on. My calc prof let me dictate my test, which was weird, but it worked out okay.

The worst part, was for the first couple of days I had to have people tie my shoes for me because I couldn't close my fingers enough to grip the laces.

What was the second time?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    That would be next year in college. The first time was just me being clumsy. The second was partaking in activity that I knew was likely to involve someone getting hurt. You know those big exercise balls? Well, a bunch of guys were hallway jousting with them. It was 2AM. You know, typical stupid stuff. Just running at each other while holding the ball and bouncing off. They were all like "you should totally get in on this it's way fun!" and I just stood there shaking my head. Finally I caved and said "Okay, but put me up against Mark, since he weighs less and is least likely to hurl me back." Then somehow I botched the approach, he ended up hitting me high and I fell on my ass.
    My right hand having learned its lesson the previous year flew up and did not attempt to break my fall. The left did not.

On the plus side, I'd barely known most of the people on that hall, and after that I was one of them. They remain some of my closest friends to this day.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    You wrist breaks are so much cooler than mine was.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    man the only thing that helped with the flea bites were hydrocortison cream.

and the occasional oatmeal bath.

but let me tell you, doing an oatmeal bath with real oatmeal that you hand ground in your mortar and pestle because you didn't want to run your food processor because it's midnight.

gah.

so not fun.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    This doesn't count as an injury but I came real close to dying/getting horribly injured while rock climbing in Kentucky this weekend because I made a stupid mistake and compounded said mistake by making more of them by freaking out and trying to get back to the ground as fast as possible

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Basically, rappelling can be dangerous if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    You guys should make the trip up to Dallas and go to In-n-out burger. Totally worth the trip.

I heard it wasn't anything exceptional. Is that untrue?

Yes please come to Dallas someone. I'm way too poor to make it down y'all's way anymore.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Did you not have prussik loops art?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Blake T wrote: »
    Did you not have prussik loops art?

I just made a stupid mistake that got compounded and almost made worse by the fact that I was panicking a bit. Lead a 75 foot route, cleaned the draws from the anchors and ran the rope through the chain. Started rappelling down. The draws were all still on the wall and the route was overhung, so I was swinging way out, and one of my trailing ropes was keeping me from getting any lower.

So. first mistake was rappelling instead of getting lowered. Second mistake was that I didn't say fuck the draws and leash in, pull the rope through them and tie in and get lowered from there so someone could just go up and get them later, since I was in no shape to be doing this. I'm still sort of afraid of heights, and cleaning a route is still nerve-wracking when things are going well, forget about when the smallest thing goes wrong.

Ended up with a long and stupid process where I went down, removing the draws bolt by bolt, somehow. Have never been that scared.

I should have caught my mistake, and there were a million other, safer ways to go about getting back to the ground. It did not need to be the ordeal I made it.

I wasn't quite as fucked as I thought I was, but I was also in a position where things could have gone sideways real fast. Need to be more careful about what I'm doing in the future.

edit: so no I didn't mess up by rappelling too fast, I messed up by not thinking things through and doing what I thought I needed to do to get myself down without having to spend any time leashed in an waiting on something, which ended up taking way longer and was way more dangerous

Artreus on
  • Options
    ThreeCubed wrote: »
    You guys should make the trip up to Dallas and go to In-n-out burger. Totally worth the trip.

Yes please come to Dallas someone. I'm way too poor to make it down y'all's way anymore.
    I will be in Dallas for my sisters wedding this July! But will be too busy helping with wedding stuff. But I'll hang with you in spirit!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh that's not dangerous, more annoying and involved.

Plus you aren't supposed to get lowered through the rings, it's bad for the metal.

• Options
    Oh hey another story about me being super clumsy. This also happened in college.
    I was taking my typical evening nap. I tended to crash about 7:30 because I stayed up way too late and such. My alarm was on a shelf at the foot of my bed. Somehow I had gotten tangled up in my sheets and turned a little bit sideways. When my alarm went off I tried to quickly sit up and move forward to turn it off. Instead I ended up leaping off my bed and landed on my knee, wrenching it pretty badly.

My modmates, who were just outside in the hall at time described it as

"BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ scufflescuffle WHAM Owwwwww Goddamnit!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So I was feeling all better except for a slight cough and minimal congestion after being really sick for three weeks. Had lunch with my lady on my birthday two days ago, light makeouts were had, and no more because we were both busy. Now she's got a sore throat and I've got bloody spots in the back of my throat and what looks like open lesions. Waiting for the VA appointment line to open up.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    ThreeCubed wrote: »

mags come find a job in austin and we can be roomies all perfect strangerslike

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    So now that my financial issues are settled I was able to see the doctor finally. Regardless of how long it took to happen, the news is bad. In short, my dominant hand is never going to fully recover for the rest of my life. The long of it is that the bones didn't really break at all, and instead all the tissue that naturally supports your wrist ripped in mine, and it's not stuff that just comes back.

Best case scenario: Plenty of scar tissue grows. With this, my wrist will be supported in movement sorta, enough for me to perform basic living tasks. But even with this, I will never heavy lift again, push heavy things, etc.

Worst case scenario: No or too little scar tissue. Surgical implant of a metal plate from the end of my arm, across the back of the wrist, into the back of my hand (and from what examples I saw showed, possibly into my middle finger). Just a straight line. To keep my wrist from easily breaking / hand flopping around uselessly. I could probably still use my fingers for typing this way, but my wrist will be like that for life.

So yeah. The practical hope is scar tissue. The long shot hope is cybernetic augmentation because fuck purists.