As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars [Mini] Series: [Phalla] Hunters - Village and Various Victory!

ObiFettObiFett Use the ForceAs You WishRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Critical Failures
The first of three minis to determine the story of my next Star Wars Main:swtor_03a.jpg

Scenario
Continued from Star Wars: [Phalla]nce in the Force.

After infiltrating the Jedi Order, the Sith were able to successfully destroy the Jedi from within and cripple their ability to fend off the simultaneous Sith assault to the major planets in the Galaxy. The Sith Empire rose from the ashes of its previous glory and found itself victorious. They now seek to rule the galaxy with an iron fist. This is the first part of their story to gain complete control of the galaxy, the Jedi's struggle to prevent it from happening, and the citizens trying to survive the crossfire.

Notable characters from the previous game that will make a re-appearance in the mini-series. Not guaranteed to make a comeback in this particular mini.

Master Hammer Wilga (@SaberOverEasy) : Rose from knighthood to the Council and led the Order to nearly root out all the Sith. Became one with the Force.
Lords Amphibious and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan (@kime and @Nirya) : Were directly responsible for killing all the Jedi and Sith in stasis. Returned to the Sith Empire as powerful Sith Lords and were immediately placed on the Dark Council.
Masters Marasha Xiloscient and Ret'brah (@Anialos and @Ketbra) : Escaped the Jedi Temple and have been fighting a guerrilla war against the Sith Empire ever since.

Choices you make in this mini will determine a major part of the story for my next Star Wars main. Characters that survive will become important characters in the next main and will persist as long as they are alive. You will be given a chance to name your character.

Game Overview

Genre: Village v Mafia with a heavy dose of interactivity and choice for all. The game was created so that everyone would have something to do and could play a very important part in their side's eventual victory or defeat. At its heart it is still a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.

In this game, the majority of players are members of an Alderaanian town trying to survive the rule of the Sith (more to be revealed in the day 0 narration). How they accomplish survival will be up to the majority. Every player will have multiple powers they will need to choose from each night.

Special Mechanics and Game Design

The mafia has no kills. As a result, this game has an inherent time limit of 7 days.

Villagers will have multiple possible win conditions.

No thralls, seering is reliable.

Voting

Due to pressure by the Sith, there will be regular votes to offer up members of your town for questioning to the Sith. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious in bold red. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be turned over to the Sith and removed from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then all players involved in the tie will be eliminated, as well as the player that instigated the tie, whether that be due to a vote being placed or a vote being removed. If the vote winner is eliminated before the vote is resolved, there will be no "trickle down".

Voting will close each day at 10PM PDT/MST (1AM EST | 6AM UTC) SHARP; any votes before the hour (x:59) will count, any votes on the hour and later (x:00) will not.

Orders

Every player should have orders to submit and they must be submitted one half-hour before vote close. Due to the way the powers work in this game, all non-jedi (aka all non-mafia) orders must be submitted through private PM to the host. (preferably using the same conversation you get your role in). Jedi (mafia) orders can be submitted on their proboards.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged.

Signups will be open until we reach the maximum amount of players (20). I would love to be able to have more, but mechanics in play would make narrations take a LONG time. If demand is high enough, I might be able to push it to 25-30, but no higher. The game will start no sooner than Sunday, July 6th because I am not going to start a phalla on the 4th of July and I want to give the awesome Main that is running a little more time to run. I reserve the right to change my mind on this.

Inactivity

It is expected that players make at least two posts, make a vote, and submit private actions. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

All proboards must be linked to the host and all conversations must have the host included. NO CONVERSATION OF THE GAME IS ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM OR LINKED PROBOARDS. No chat rooms. No facebook. NOTHING. No communication is allowed outside of PA forums and linked proboards.

Sample Villager PM
You are a Citizen of the Empire. Whether an Alderaanian Noble or a simple hyperdrive mechanic or an immigrant from another planet, your family and loved ones live in this city and you must protect them. If you can survive the 7 days, you will surely be rewarded by the Sith Empire and be put in a position of power. There is also the potential of someone seedy helping you and your family escape the city, but who knows what future that will bring. You can use your powers a total of 5 times per day. This means you can use one power 5 times and the other none, the other power 5 times and the other none, or any combination in between.

Before vote close, you must PM me a monetary value (0-500 credits) that will be assigned to your VIM scan results. If your scan results are bought, you will be given that amount of money. The more vigilant you are with watching and listening, the better chance you have of your VIM results producing good information for the Empire.

Power instructions: The following powers are used within the thread. To activate a power, use the keyword anywhere in the post. Keywords may be part of a larger word, but cannot span multiple words.
Watch – Keyword: “See”, Targeting: None. Effect: Watch for abnormal Jedi behavior around your post. Doing this contributes to your VIM results.
Listen – Keyword: “Hear”, Targeting: None. Effect: Listen for abnormal Jedi behavior on this page. Doing this contributes to your VIM results.

Wincons – Root out all the Jedi in the village OR Buy passage out of the town

Bounty Board
Bounties Issues by the Sith Empire and its Allies

Terrorism and Treason against the Empire - 5 million credits each
Keer Morningstar - unclaimed
Marasha Xiloscient - unclaimed
Jon Snow - unclaimed

Aiding and abetting Terrorists and Traitors - 3 million credits each
Badguy - unclaimed
Adrian Khaar - no longer available

Unlawful possession of spice and illegal weaponry, blockade running, and 40+ other Class 1 offenses - 2 million credits each
Rad - unclaimed
Sodium Aluminum Phosphate (aka: SALP) - unclaimed

Apathetic Behavior in the Face of Treason - 1 million credits each
Meow Skywalker - unclaimed
Dross Vanderhooten - unclaimed
Jason Windervere - unclaimed

Initial Sign-ups
1 - SaberOverEasy
2 - Ketbra
3 - Assuran
4 - Baidol
5 - I needed a name to post
6 - Nirya
7 - Mill
8 - Phyphor
9 - SLyM
10 - TheRoadVirus
11 - romanqwerty
12 - Teucrian
13 - jdarksun
14 - Anialos
15 - stever777
16 - matev
17 - MrTLicious
18 - Smoove
19 - 38thDoe
20 - Cayrus
21 - The_Anonymous
22 - kime
23 - BertezBertez
24 - tzeentchling
25 - greenbarons

Reserves:
1 - enlightenedbum
2 - Cythraul
3 - Kaplar
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -

Clarifications

Will edited posts with keywords count?
No

If I go over my order allotment, will you use the orders from later in the day or earlier in the day
Later in the day first.

Only one order per post. Multiple orders in a single post will void both orders

Will having multiple keywords always render the post useless or will it be salvageable provided that there is more of one keyword than the other or only one keyword is used in the post?
It will always invalidate an order post.

Powers that have ranges can not span multiple pages.
For example: If a Watch order post is done as the last post of the page, it will only target the posts above that post on the page and will not carry over to the new page.

Do keywords in the quote box count as being used?
No. Unless your power specifies differently, all keywords and related stuff to order posts must be in plain text outside of quotes.

What is the order of operations for actions? Does the vote stop actions from occuring, come after all actions or act simultaneously?
Vote is always first. Only way for a phalla to work, imo. Everything else is by order they are posted in the thread with some wrinkles. But for the most part, if player A puts in a kill order on player B right before player B puts in a kill order on Player A. Player B dies and Player A lives.

As long as no other keywords are used, will using a single keyword more than once in a post cancel that order?
Yes, that was asked earlier in the game and is in the clarifications. Again, I should have written clearer rules. I am sorry for any confusion caused by my rule-writing.

Results

Day 1
stever777 - Padawan Adrian Khaar - Turned over by the mob

Day 2
Nirya - Master Jon Snow - Turned over by the mob
Assuran - Deng Clu - Counterhunted
Greenbarons - Khalon Darkstalker - Assassinated[/b][/color]

Day 3
romanqwerty - Humphrey Einfelt - Turned over by the mob

Day 4
matev - Marasha Xiloscient - turned over by the mob
MrTLicious- Padawan Badguy - Blaster bold to the side
Kime - Rad - Stunned and captured

Village Victory!
I needed a name to post - Bounty Hunter Victory!
38thDoe and Baidol - Escape Victory!

Narrations
Day 0 - A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
Day 1 - Fear conquers all
Day 2 - Honor and Dishonor
Day 3 - For Knowledge and Defense, Never for Attack
Day 4 - That's the idea...

ObiFett on

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Boo yah!

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh sweet I'm already written in?

Count me in!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Of Course I'm signing up.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    7 days

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Hello I'm here to make you feel bad about yourself

liEt3nH.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    R.I.P. Little Wang.

You were cut short before your time.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Guess I have to play this

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    No mafia kills?? What will @kime do?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    The Sith shall reign for a thousand years.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Just an FYI, I linked your names in the OP if a character you made is still alive and has a chance to be in this game. Kind of a headnod since you guys are the ones creating the names and resultant story.

There is no obligation to sign up or any guarantee that if your previous character is in this game that you will be assigned that character.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Just an FYI, I linked your names in the OP if a character you made is still alive and has a chance to be in this game. Kind of a headnod since you guys are the ones creating the names and resultant story.

There is no obligation to sign up or any guarantee that if your previous character is in this game that you will be assigned that character.

I know. But Phallance was so awesome I'd kick myself for not playing in this. Even if the Hammer doesn't make an appearance.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I will join this game

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Gumpy's game is probably complex enough, but fuck it.

I'm in

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I just thanked god that my character's Sith name was never revealed in the narration in the last game, because it would have been obvious that Captain Lou Albano would be the alter-ego of Sith Master Bobby The Brain Heenan.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    I suppose

• TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    I'll play

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Signup!!!!!!

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oh very well Obi...

OYA MANDA

Sadly, paranoid old Master Draconis did not survive...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Is my sign-up not valid?

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    !me !me a thousand times me!

stever777 wrote: »
    Is my sign-up not valid?

It totally is!

I am glad you caught this.

Sorry!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    stever777 wrote: »
    Is my sign-up not valid?
    Your signups are slowver then everyone elses.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    heyooo

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    I've got the time for two games and you just never know when you'll die in these things anyways.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Just noticed this: "Sunday, July 6th"

Unfortunately, I must withdraw. That is too close to my vacation to be able to sign up in good faith.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Do we get to make up jedi names again?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    In

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

KetBra wrote: »
    Do we get to make up jedi names again?

If you are a Jedi, yes.

If you are a Sith, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, etc then you will make up names for them as well.

Those names will be used in the narrations.

Capfalcon wrote: »
    Just noticed this: "Sunday, July 6th"

Unfortunately, I must withdraw. That is too close to my vacation to be able to sign up in good faith.

FYI
    ObiFett wrote:
    I reserve the right to change my mind on this.

And based on the signups, I think this might actually start on Friday.

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    OBI SIGN ME UP I am on my phone and coding is hard.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    So, are the mafia... the Jedi?

MrTLicious wrote: »
    So, are the mafia... the Jedi?

Yes

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    Every player should have orders to submit and they must be submitted one half-hour before vote close. Due to the way the powers work in this game, all non-sith infiltrator (aka all non-mafia) orders must be submitted through private PM to the host. (preferably using the same conversation you get your role in). Sith Infiltrator (mafia) orders can be submitted on their proboards.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    edited July 2012
    Based on the sign-up speed, the game is going to start on Thursday, July 5th.

ObiFett on
    ObiFett wrote:
    Every player should have orders to submit and they must be submitted one half-hour before vote close. Due to the way the powers work in this game, all non-sith infiltrator (aka all non-mafia) orders must be submitted through private PM to the host. (preferably using the same conversation you get your role in). Sith Infiltrator (mafia) orders can be submitted on their proboards.

Mistakes already! Fixed!

Copy and Paste NOOOOOooooo!

• TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Based on the sign-up speed, the game is going to start on Friday, July 5th.

Isn't July 5th Thursday?

Yes

So it will start Thursday, July 5th.