As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Direct IP Multiplayer

SnorkSnork wordJamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to play Dawn of War: Dark Crusade with my friends Direct IP style, and we can't connect to each other. I've tried it with other friends, turning windows firewall off, etc but I just can't get it to work. Is there something we have to do to our computers/connections to enable this first or something?

Snork on

• devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Depends on how your internet connections are setup. If you are going through a router, you will need to port forward ( www.portforward.com ), know your real world IP and your LAN IP.

If you're going straight through a modem, then you probably need to check hardware and software firewall on both sides, as well as your correct real world IPs.

devoir on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GameConfig says you need to open:

TCP Ports
    6667, 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920
    UDP Ports
    6112, 6500, 27900, 27901, 29910

If you don't know how to forward ports on your router, go here. If you're using a dial-up modem, you shouldn't be hosting anyway.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So who does the port forwarding, host or client? We are both behind routers.

Snork on
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I just forwarded. If I'm hosting, what IP do I give my friend? The Static IP I set up or the one whatismyip.com gives me?

Snork on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The whatismyip.com one. That's your public IP, the one you set up is only valid for your network.

Raere on
    Raere.png
    edited July 2007
    Alright. Thanks dudes. Moment of truth impending.

Snork on
  • Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If none of that works, you can always get some VPN software, or cygwin and tunnel your connection using SSH.

The latter option gives you _massive_ nerd points.

Legoman05 on
  • pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hamachi FTW

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    pacbowl wrote: »

Beat me to it.
    I use this for everything.
    Have everyone set up hamachi and connect to the same server, then use the LAN section in DoW.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
    edited July 2007
    Alright. Trying Hamachi now.

Snork on
    edited July 2007
    Okay we're both on the server I created but can't see each other's LAN games.

Snork on
    edited July 2007
    My friend's brother is displaying a green star next to his name on the Hamachi server. Is this because he's on a real LAN with my friend?
    Also, is there any reason we'd have to configure Dawn of War for Hamachi? The website says that some games don't deal well with it.

Snork on