As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2012 desktop thread (nsf56k)

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »
    those text rainmeter (?) widgets are really attractive. are they hard to set up?

nope except maybe setting the weather to your location is a little annoying

edit: and i love that now everyone is using the same skin

It is such a beautiful skin

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    alternatively
    kirby sucks

kirby_071220a-l.jpg

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    mario's japanese denim made on old looms by craftsmen overalls still look goofy as heck

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    Thank you, The Secret of Kells is a great movie. Just great.

it is so beautiful

like, just gorgeous to look at.

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    see also: #pipe

4SMZq.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    so i tried loading the rainmeter skin everyone's got and on the weather thing the temperature is mushed into "partly cloudy"

any tips on how to fix this?

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    If you right click on it, and select "edit skin" it will bring up the ini file that describes that particular meter. The various pieces of the meter are positioned with X, Y coordinates like this:
    [Temp]
    MeasureName=MeasureWeatherTemp
    Meter=STRING
    X=50
    Y=0
    FontColor=#Color1#
    StringStyle=Bold
    FontSize=22
    StringAlign=right
    FontFace=#LocalFontFace#
    AntiAlias=1

X=50 specifies the horizontal position of this part of the meter. If you see something like "X=10r", the "r" means the position is 10 units relative to meter defined immediately above it. You just have to find the one for the description and the one for the actual temperature and put a little more distance between them.

After that, just save the ini file, right click on the meter again, and click "refresh skin". Your changes should show up.

I would back up the file first, in case you don't like the changes and want to get back to the default.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

I have a coworker with a 3-monitor spread that would LOVE that desktop. Any chance we can get a clean version?

Whoops, sorry.

Here it is.

http://www.triplemonitorbackgrounds.com/popular-culture/avengers.jpg.php

Awesome, thanks. And a new website to peruse, too!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD WHO DREW THAT FMA FANART

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    looks like it comes from this DeviantArt: http://343guiltyspark.deviantart.com

yesssss

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    john_calvin-thomas_hobbes.jpg

centered on white
    I use this desktop background when I teach the Enlightenment and assorted eras. I usually let it stay up there until someone gets it, but sadly many teenagers these days don't even know about the comic Calvin and Hobbes, much less the philosophers.

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    john_calvin-thomas_hobbes.jpg

centered on white
    I use this desktop background when I teach the Enlightenment and assorted eras. I usually let it stay up there until someone gets it, but sadly many teenagers these days don't even know about the comic Calvin and Hobbes, much less the philosophers.

This is the GREATEST THING EVER! And I would totally use this when I teach the enlightenment. But yes, most kids don't get the Calvin and Hobbes reference, but Oh man that is great.

Also I doubt Hobbes would ever smile that much in his life.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Falx wrote: »

That's the best piece of FMA fanart I've seen.

dj8jq.jpg

If you want the source on this one, tell me if you just want the guy's pixiv account.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    If you right click on it, and select "edit skin" it will bring up the ini file that describes that particular meter. The various pieces of the meter are positioned with X, Y coordinates like this:
    [Temp]
    MeasureName=MeasureWeatherTemp
    Meter=STRING
    X=50
    Y=0
    FontColor=#Color1#
    StringStyle=Bold
    FontSize=22
    StringAlign=right
    FontFace=#LocalFontFace#
    AntiAlias=1

X=50 specifies the horizontal position of this part of the meter. If you see something like "X=10r", the "r" means the position is 10 units relative to meter defined immediately above it. You just have to find the one for the description and the one for the actual temperature and put a little more distance between them.

After that, just save the ini file, right click on the meter again, and click "refresh skin". Your changes should show up.

I would back up the file first, in case you don't like the changes and want to get back to the default.

thanks!

i fiddled with the values and got it looking good

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    naiLe.jpg

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    katklok.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've had the same desktop for like, 2.5 years now

2luexza.jpg

and this is the background for my laptop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blaqmarketgraphix/4166899724/sizes/l/in/photostream/

zucchini on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    zucchini wrote: »

2luexza.jpg

:^: God I love that city.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »

2luexza.jpg

:^: God I love that city.

What city is that?

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I thought it was always sunny there

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    I thought it was always sunny there

It is, you just can't see it through the ground

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    hey guys
    what do i need to do to make an image from the internet my ps3 wallpaper

save it to a usb stick?

does it need to be in a certain format?

• weather man bobweather man bob El Heffer Assholeville USARegistered User regular
    picture1ca.png

hey guys
    what do i need to do to make an image from the internet my ps3 wallpaper

save it to a usb stick?

does it need to be in a certain format?

You can save it to a USB and plug that it, open your images menu and the drive should appear, then press triangle on the image and there should be a "copy" or "copy to hard drive" option.

Then find it in the root images menu and press triangle again and there's a "Set as wallpaper" option. It's all very straight forward.

Jpgs and PNGs should all work fine. Gifs probably won't.

• NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Couldn't sleep so I decided to clean up my desktop. Thanks for #pipe and langly for the rainmeter tips.

r8gsjd.png

xXNXOA7.png?1
    @#pipe
    thanks buddy

• ShanksShanks "THAT FELLOW" Registered User regular
    Hobbes all like

"What's today's date?"

Royal Families card game rules Origin/XBL: SpaceRangerJ Steam
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    NhciI.jpg

Been using this since the episode aired. Wish it was a bit better quality, but it'll do.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
    Hey @nikolai

Did you ever get around to posting a clean version of that? Because it is awesome and I would like it

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Artreus wrote: »
    Hey @nikolai

Did you ever get around to posting a clean version of that? Because it is awesome and I would like it

1ersg.png

http://oi45.tinypic.com/1ersg.jpg

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
    Thank you!

• Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    more like olivia mild

Burden of Proof on
    johnsu rules

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    gw2background.png

Guild Wars 2 is very pretty, guys.