As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    As dumb as that cover is

I am happy Carol isn't wearing a space stripper outfit anymore

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    What no stripper wear?

That's not super ish at all! I jest, I jest.

But considering all the crap that went on about the Catwoman cover with her bending as she did, anyone going to make an issue of Kyle there who seems almost as bad?

Hell they're all kinda doing some spinal cord bending posing but since when do outrage about guys doing that ever happen huh.

Cade on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kyle is the worst of the lot. I barely even notice the others honestly, even Carol.

He reminds me of those parody images where all the men are drawn in super-sexy twisty poses like the women to highlight how dumb it actually is.

I'm going to be embarrassed to buy it, but... Atrocitus, Arkillo, Saint Walker and Larfleeze are on it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well March isn't doing the interior

just that cover

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cover's bad enough - I go to the shop in a group. People I know will see me buy this, aigh.

Anyway, GL #10 - A promise of the Indigo Tribe's freakiness being all worthwhile, and a great line from Hal to Sinestro.

"Fear isn't the answer."

And an ominous development...
    Black Hand dies... and rises.

Which means Nekron will be able to return, although with no Black Lanterns and no power source, it might be the case that Black Hand has to harvest the necessary power solo.

Though it's been some time since Blackest Night, it doesn't feel like it... so I don't see Nekron rising anew anytime soon. But Black Hand slowly hunting and gathering hearts, one by one, might be a motivation that would keep him busy as a regular villain for many stories to come.

I guess we'll see what happens next arc.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Green Lantern Corps #10 was boring and overwritten! Really losing faith in Tomasi over here.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It really says something about the character when stories centered around John are constantly boring, compared to Tomasi's other books and even when it was a Guy centric title.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Nah. I'm gonna say that tomasi doesn't have a handle on the character.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    John gets written very stiffly these days. It seems that everyone concentrates on him being an ex-military guy who really likes architecture rather than his radical "Damn the man" attitude that he was introduced with back in the day.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    CBR has a preview of New Guardians #10 up, here. I really hope the Blue Lantern Corps makes it, I like those guys more each time I see them.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    So, I heard in the latest New Guardian issue?
    That the blue lanterns are all killed off? Confirm anyone?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    So, I heard in the latest New Guardian issue?
    That the blue lanterns are all killed off? Confirm anyone?
    Their lantern is still stuck on their planet, which is controlled by the Reach (from Blue Beetle), but they all survive.

Saint Walker blames Larfleeze for the invasion.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    in non-Marvel NOW news...
    This October, the DC Universe must prepare for the Rise of the Third Army.

The publisher's next major crossover event, following in the steps of June's Batman-based"Night of the Owls" storyline which spanned virtually all of the Bat-related titles will take place in the Green Lantern titles. "Rise of Third Army" features the Guardians' latest attempt at bringing law and order to the universe, and their first objective is to eliminate Lanterns of any color. The crossover, announced this morning on DC's blog The Source, features four interlocking covers by current "Aquaman" artist Ivan Reis. Interestingly enough, while the mysterious new Green Lantern is featured front and center along with all the major players from throughout the Corps, neither Hal Jordan nor Sinestro are anywhere to be found.

Longtime Green Lantern architect Geoff Johns told the Source, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely--and the Guardians time is finally here. The Lantern titles spent the first year of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 re-establishing themselves, but it all comes back together with year 2 starting with GREEN LANTERN #0 and leading into October's #13's - which share an amazing cover by Ivan Reis. In October, the Guardians' Third Army rises to replace the Green Lantern Corps - but how is horrifying and why will change the Guardians and their ancient mission forever. As we discover what the Third Army actually means, our strongest Lanterns are targeted for absolute destruction. From Atrocitus to Guy Gardner to our newest Green Lantern from Earth - who may have been wrongly chosen - all their darkest secrets and failures will come to light. What is Sinestro's ultimate fate? Who is this new Green Lantern and why was he chosen? What is the Third Army? What with Atrocitus sacrifice to take on the Guardians? What will Larfleeze give up to find the one thing he wants? What happens to Guy Gardner when he's targeted after Hal Jordan? And, most importantly, who is the First Lantern?"

"The Guardians and the Third Army want to break the Green Lantern Corps -- and they've now got their sights on Guy Gardner and John Stewart," "Green Lantern Corps" writer Peter Tomasi added. The question is not IF the Guardians can accomplish their mission, but how horribly will they shatter our ringslingers’ lives!"

Meanwhile, "Green Lantern: The New Guardians" writer Tony Bedard filled in the Source on what awaits Kyle Rayner and his multi-hued allies. "Kyle Rayner has gathered a team of Lanterns from all seven colors of the spectrum. As the Third Army strikes, Kyle must combine all seven shades of power within himself. A bigger and badder lineup of New Guardians will push Kyle to become our secret weapon against the onslaught of the Third Army."

And "Red Lanterns" writer Peter Milligan assures fans that Atrocitus and his crimson minions will be stepping into the mix in a major way as well. "The Red Lanterns are continuing their mission to bring bloody vengeance to an unjust world when they run into (or are run into) a mysterious enemy with no mouth and a curious resistance to death. One Red Lantern succumbs to this new adversary, while Atrocitus finds a way to fight back – which entails returning to a place of great pain and associating with an ancient nemesis."

"Rise of the Third Army" kicks off October 3 in "Green Lantern" #13.

1341324721.jpg&w=640

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm down with Carol's new costume.

That said, I bet Hal and Sinestro are undercover and this will all end up with both coming back to do things that are awesome and save the day. Cause Johns loves Sinestro and Hal. In that order.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    I've always thought she should have had black instead of skin showing

That solicit sounds silly

• Options
    edited July 2012
    It doesn't feel very different from War of the Green Lanterns to me yet. Hoping this is the final Lanterns fighting other Lanterns and/or Guardians event (which feel like they've been going endlessly since Sinestro Corps War five years ago).

let's do something else.

edit: interesting that Rankorr isn't featured on the Red Lanterns section of that cover.

Rans on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Guessing the Third Army is the Guardians' replacement for the Green Lanterns

• Options
    Yeah, they've been building up to this for a while.

Also guessing that's them in the background of the cover-poster. More monster-y than I would have thought. Guess it leaves no room for doubt that this is a bad thing.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I want that cover to be the reality of the crossover

More specifically, I want the Guardians to decide that they should all become big Andross heads, convinced that it is a good idea for the universe

That seems in character

• Options
    Isn't it weird that there's no Hal Jordan or Sinestro on that cover?

• Options
    Not really, they're playing up the mystery of what happens at the end of GL Annual #1 and continues into GL #0.

• Options
    I'm guessing that at the end of GL Annual #1 it appears that Black Hand has killed Hal and Sinestro, when in reality they have really faked their deaths as they have come into some new information about the Guardians and the Third Army. Hal and Sinestro go to ground with the Indigos to figure out the strategy that Abin Sur had planned out all those years ago about how to stop the Guardians.

The new earth GL is a wildcard. Not sure where he fits in.

• Options
    That's the other thing. Seems odd to add another Earth GL at this point. Maybe to replace somebody they're going to kill off?

• Options
    Grifter wrote: »
    That's the other thing. Seems odd to add another Earth GL at this point. Maybe to replace somebody they're going to kill off?

He'll replace Sinestro, who is technically the GL for the sector I believe. Hal and Sinestro are probably not dead, but they may not be GLs during this.

• Options
    If he's replacing Sinesto then wouldn't Sinestro have to die or somehow give up the ring? And since he's physically unable to remove the ring, he'd probably have to die. Wouldn't be the first time.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Good news! So it looks like Guy Gardner will be showing up in season 2 of Green Lantern TAS:

guy-gardner.jpeg

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    !

Also, good news to me - there's going to be a season 2. This is the first I've heard of it.

So yay. Really liked GL TAS.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    where

is

the

bowl

cut

• Options
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    WOOO

He's voiced by fucking Deidrich Bader, and the big bad for the season is the Anti-Monitor.

I'm going to have to buy a new ceiling, because I just jumped through mine!

• Options
    yeah that's really awesome.

also, fuck the bowl cut

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    He looks like Mr. Incredible, because that's who Guy is.

And that screen looks a lot better in terms of animation than what I've seen of the first seasons.

• Options
    Hopefully the season 2 finale will have the Anti-Monitor attacking earth and in order to fight back they have to recruit a couple more earth lanterns (for some reason). C'mon John and Kyle!

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    Hopefully the season 2 finale will have the Anti-Monitor attacking earth and in order to fight back they have to recruit a couple more earth lanterns (for some reason). C'mon John and Kyle!

It'd be cool if they introduced some non GL heroes, but it probably won't happen.

I have an undying dream to eventually see Crisis on Infinite Earths play out on a TV series.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Well, some Thanagarians showed up in an episode, but no Hawkman.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    If there's one thing I've seen that all DC shows have in common, it's that they tend to start out with a couple characters, and then once the show's well established, they go absolutely crazy-flakes with them.

"Justice League? Yeah, a handful of regular heroes, plus Lex Luthor and a random villain every other week! Easy!"

Few seasons in and JLU, 2-3 new faces every episode, huge crowds of heroes and villains, hundreds of characters by the end of it.

Young Justice was the same way. "Robin, Superboy, a couple others, and a random villain every week! No problem!"

Season 2 there's like thirty members now.

So when it comes to lots of heroes in GLTAS, things are trending positively, is what I'm trying to say.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    So I managed to get GL 11 before Comixology took it down and
    Hal's plan to take down the guardians is
    Put indigo rings on them. In addition Hal's ring can now work against Sinestro due to some tampering from the indigos. Black Hand brings his family back as dead skeleton zombie things (not Black Lanterns), and his deal is he wants to kill everyone and make them the zombie things so they are all like him.

• Options
    Re: New Guardians. And the ring thief is...
    Sayd, as many guessed. We have to wait until #12 to find out why, but it seems pretty clear that she's the only one that knows what the Guardians are up to and developing a team of multi-colored Lanterns and/or teaching Kyle to harness the power of the entire spectrum is her plan to deal with them. It might be reaching, but it feels like the whole plot with Invictus and Larfleeze being his archenemy was put into motion by Sayd to ultimately get her out from under the control of Larfleeze.

I'm also speculating that Ganthet isn't as mindwiped as we've been led to believe and is feeding Sayd information on the Guardian's plans. Ganthet was even name checked in Green Lantern #11, so clearly the writers don't want us to forget about him.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've found the build up for this "Third Army" story to be a lot more intriguing than most of the recent mega-events in the GL books. Including Blackest Night.

Arryn on
  • Options
    and according to Johns, Rise of the Third Army isn't even the real event. Apparently it's a prologue event that sets up the really real event that follows it. I don't know what that means!