As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

flight of the conchords

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There is multiple versions?

Which one does the "racist dragon"?

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Its carrel. Carol is a girls name.

And steve carrel is the farthest thing from a hack.

I think he really brought some humanity to michael scott, and made him beleivable and unbelievable at the same time.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The UK and US versions are completely different. The UK version I sat through and watched and loved every moment of, and the ending was fantastic, but I can't just go back and watch it whenever, it was just so much more of a mini-series rather than a show.

The US version still has an underlying storyline, but that's not the focus. The focus is on each and every episode being an absolute riot.

It's that simple.

Agreed.

With only so much time, and it is close to zero, that I dedicate to watching TV, I try to avoid anything that is simple situational based comedy at this point... Not because it isn't funny, but because I have already watched so much of it, that it is hard to justify any more time spent on a genre of "look what happens when this crazy character gets involved in this whacky situation!" ... I like when there is a begining and an end, not just a joke machine a la family guy style. Of course, that doesn't mean that when I do see an episode I don't laugh my ass off.

walnutmon on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Filler wrote: »
    Its carrel. Carol is a girls name.

And steve carrel is the farthest thing from a hack.

I think he really brought some humanity to michael scott, and made him beleivable and unbelievable at the same time.

I always tried to figure out the difference between Ricky Gervais and Steve Carrell's characters. I think Ricky Gervais is broken on the outside but normal on the inside, while Steve Carrell is just broken.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    The UK and US versions are completely different. The UK version I sat through and watched and loved every moment of, and the ending was fantastic, but I can't just go back and watch it whenever, it was just so much more of a mini-series rather than a show.

The US version still has an underlying storyline, but that's not the focus. The focus is on each and every episode being an absolute riot.

It's that simple.

Edit: But Monty Python sucks. Not because of the accents, it's just not funny unless you force yourself to laugh.
    waitwaitwait

Let's be clear.

Monty Python as in The Flying Circus, or as in the three(Four? I forget.) movies?

Because, yes Flying Circus was only kinda funny outside of a few brilliant sketches, but Holy Grail and the Meaning of Life are fucking beautiful.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I get the humor of the Office and everything - it's just boring sometimes.

This show is funny though.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

It's that simple.

Edit: But Monty Python sucks. Not because of the accents, it's just not funny unless you force yourself to laugh.
    waitwaitwait

Let's be clear.

Monty Python as in The Flying Circus, or as in the three(Four? I forget.) movies?

Because, yes Flying Circus was only kinda funny outside of a few brilliant sketches, but Holy Grail and the Meaning of Life are fucking beautiful.

Yeah, I think it is all very good, but the three movies are all absolutely brilliant peices of comedy that transcend time. They are funny on every level anything else has ever been funny on. If you think that Monty Python is simply "not funny" ... you, in the words of Patrice O'Neil "have nothing to do with funny!".

walnutmon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's that simple.

waitwaitwait

Let's be clear.

It was all consistent quality. I giggled pretty constantly throughout them, but I never laughed. Though there were a lot of portions where I saw "Oh, this is supposed to be funny, but it just isn't"

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Y'see, I absolutely love Holy Grail.

It's on my top-5 list of movies. (Although, it's incredibly less enjoyable when everyone else is quoting every other damn line.) It's the movie that showed a litte(er) Blank that there was humor outside of poo and fart jokes. Plus, it birthed Spamalot, which is one of my favorite musicals of all time.

The Meaning of Life is fantastic, between "Every Sperm is Sacred" and the "Morbidly Obese Mr. Creosole" there are some absolutely brilliant sketches in that movie.

I've always been pretty meh on Life of Brian though, thought it was a huge let down compared to the others.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's that simple.

waitwaitwait

Let's be clear.

It was all consistent quality. I giggled pretty constantly throughout them, but I never laughed. Though there were a lot of portions where I saw "Oh, this is supposed to be funny, but it just isn't"

I present... exhibit A:

The scene in holy grail where the knight is going to save the princess from being forced to wed someone she doesn't love... The knight runs into the castle, killing the guards and then proceeds to kill everyone in the weding ceremony, including flower girls and the like. That may be one of the single greatest scenes in comedy, and there are probably 100 others contained within those movies of equaly high quality.

B:
    The fish going back and forth in a fish tank, and every time they pass one another they greet eachother

C:
    The Universe Song.

walnutmon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That I don't like.

I mean, people are allowed to not like things. He didn't say it was shit, he just said it wasn't his favorite and there were bits that were supposed to be funny that he didn't like.

There is no way you can please everyone duder.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate, HATE the Biggus Dickus scene in Life of Brian.

Shorty on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bein' lude with two dudes and food, but that's only if Stu's into it too.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Life of Brian was deep

Drano on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    is the flight of the conchords show similar to their stand-up

their one stand-up show I've seen was pretty funny

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Holy Grail rules and fuck anyone who says differently

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    it's their stand up but with longer bits between the songs

holy grail was killed for me before I even saw it

Drano on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    The Office is totally better than Flight of the Conchords

I guess FotC would do more for me if I hadn't already heard all their stand-up songs already, which work much better on stand-up than on something with actual production values

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FotC is probably one of the better things to grace my eyeballs in a while

The Rhymenocerous and Hiphophoppotomus is what won me over

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    FotC is probably one of the better things to grace my eyeballs in a while

The Rhymenocerous and Hiphophoppotomus is what won me over

holy shit that was awful compared to the stand-up
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbxA8a_M_s

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    The Office is totally better than Flight of the Conchords

I guess FotC would do more for me if I hadn't already heard all their stand-up songs already, which work much better on stand-up than on something with actual production values

it's business time worked better on the show, i think.

i like this show. i've only seen one episode, granted, but it was quite good.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I'm loving the show. I like the "sitcom" segments as much as the songs.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Finally got a hold of the show. It's pretty fucking hilarious, and while I thought the songs would suck (well, in the pilot they were too long, but they got better), it all fits pretty well. When does this air?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sundays at 10:30pm after Entourage

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's on my top-5 list of movies. (Although, it's incredibly less enjoyable when everyone else is quoting every other damn line.) It's the movie that showed a litte(er) Blank that there was humor outside of poo and fart jokes. Plus, it birthed Spamalot, which is one of my favorite musicals of all time.

The Meaning of Life is fantastic, between "Every Sperm is Sacred" and the "Morbidly Obese Mr. Creosole" there are some absolutely brilliant sketches in that movie.

I've always been pretty meh on Life of Brian though, thought it was a huge let down compared to the others.

Are you sure we aren't the same person? like... some weird temporal anomoly that cause two of us to be born?

Seriously, like every time you mention something you enjoy its right up there in my list.

Stop it. It's my list! Like your own things!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a pretty good show.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Lardalish wrote: »

Are you sure we aren't the same person? like... some weird temporal anomoly that cause two of us to be born?

Seriously, like every time you mention something you enjoy its right up there in my list.

i am pretty disappointed to know that there are multiple idiots who think life of brian is the worst monty python movie

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    life of brian is my favorite.
    i'm big on mocking religion though.

Drano on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Nuh uh! It's my list!

SPOCK WITH A BEARD! SPOCK WITH A BEARD!

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drano wrote: »
    life of brian is my favorite.
    i'm big on mocking religion though.

it is easily the one of them that makes the most cohesive movie. the others are more or less a collection of sketches.

also holy grail has been tainted a little bit by incessant quoting and also because everytime i watch it the end always takes the jam out of my donut.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    i decided after watching all python films multiple times that Brian is the one I still get the most enjoyment out of.
    A huge part of that is that I don't picture some nerd I know quoting each scene poorly each time I watch it.

Drano on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drano wrote: »
    i decided after watching all python films multiple times that Brian is the one I still get the most enjoyment out of.
    A huge part of that is that I don't picture some nerd I know quoting each scene poorly each time I watch it.

This is precisely why I can no longer enjoy Monty Python. I've been behaviourally conditioned to hate it, as every time anyone mentions it some nonce pipes up with an awful string of quotations.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Werrick wrote: »
    Bein' lude with two dudes and food, but that's only if Stu's into it too.

Would someone please remove these culteries from my knees?

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Do New Zealanders really hate Australians?

I also like the signs in the tourism office:

New Zealand

Don't expect too much....

You will love it

and

New Zealand

Like in Lord of the Rings

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Nuh uh! It's my list!

SPOCK WITH A BEARD! SPOCK WITH A BEARD!

Spock's Beard is a pretty neat band.

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Do New Zealanders really hate Australians?

I also like the signs in the tourism office:

New Zealand

Don't expect too much....

You will love it

and

New Zealand

Like in Lord of the Rings

Needs more exclamation points

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The latest episode made me want to buy real estate in outer space.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I think I'm going to get a condo on planet Murrayland.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They were all stars!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only problem I have with the show is the recorded versions of the songs are mostly crap compared to the live versions. So tame.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg