As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linksys WRT54G Firmware Hack?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
Has anyone here hacked their router to install DDWRT firmware? I've been exploring the option to increase the signal of my Linksys WRT54G via the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

It seems rather painless? And I am hoping to improve the connectivity on the second floor of my new place.

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    For the few different WRT54G routers I had, I always had the wrong revision of the router whenever i looked into that. Make sure yours is 100% compatible before you try anything. :)

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have WRT54G v. 8.2 which is compatible and I have the files, but I'm just a little gunshy about the whole thing of course.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    I haven't flashed a WRT54G (I have an ASUS RTN16 with DD-WRT), but if you can follow instructions precisely, and you want some pretty sweet router firmware, it's hard to go wrong with DD-WRT.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I've installed ddwrt micro on newer rev linksys wrt54gs before. Just follow instructions and you'll be fine.. However, don't expect miracles on the power output srtting;it may not do what you need. But ddwrt micro is worlds better than the stock firmware anyway, so definitely try it.

Yup, took four hours or so but I got it running. Wasn't that complicated to set up, but it took a while to get all of the gear networked at the same time.

Then had a bit of a stumbling block before I realized that the girlfriend's 9 year old Compaq laptop wasn't working with WPA2 nicely.

So, that was fun.

Anyway, it looks like I've been able to triple the signal strength - so all is well! This can be locked. Unless we want to turn it into a general 'DDWRT' thread?

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Do a lot of people like this router? I always hear good things about it. Newegg.com has on it on sale for $50.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This has been, like, the router to own for about ten years, now.

I had one for quite a while, but bought a Cisco/Linksys E3000 when it came time to get a new one a year or so ago. Personally, I think it's time for the WRT series to be put out to pasture, but they are very reliable, and easily modded.

I'd recommend Tomato over DD-WRT, unless there's something specific you need DD-WRT for that Tomato doesn't offer.

Thanatos on
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

I had one for quite a while, but bought a Cisco/Linksys E3000 when it came time to get a new one a year or so ago. Personally, I think it's time for the WRT series to be put out to pasture, but they are very reliable, and easily modded.

I'd recommend Tomato over DD-WRT, unless there's something specific you need DD-WRT for that Tomato doesn't offer.

Only need for basic use - My PC, PS3, GF's laptop, Nintendo 3DS. Small stuff like that, when i moved into my new apartment i went cheap with my last router choice and bought a refurbished Linksys E1000. Bad choice...didnt work out well, gives a crappy signal and PS3 works horribly with it. Streaming stuff on my PC was also a pain with it hooked up and nothing else running on it. Decided to go ahead and order this one after speaking about a friend who does Web Hosting and reading the reviews.

If you're going to get a WRT54G, get the WRT54GL. It has the same amount of memory as the old 54G (pre...V4?) so you can run "full" firmwares on it.

And use Tomato. It's easier to use than DDWRT, and IMO better as well.

I keep meaning to upgrade to something with gigabit, but as it stands I'm still rollin' the same 54GL that I've had for years now. As long as gigabit isn't an issue for you, it's still the go-to router I recommend. But then, I'm also fine with 802.11g as well.

I don't know if you guys are still looking for new routers, but I was considering getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833186011&cm_mmc=070412SuperSale-_-145-_-N82E16833186011&nm_mc=070412SuperSale and then using the WRT54G for a repeater.

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I keep meaning to upgrade to something with gigabit, but as it stands I'm still rollin' the same 54GL that I've had for years now. As long as gigabit isn't an issue for you, it's still the go-to router I recommend. But then, I'm also fine with 802.11g as well.

Same. Once I put Tomato on my 54GL it solved all my issues. Even with wireless g speeds I can play Xbox live/PC game without lag and another person can surf/netflix HD at the same time. Everybody is happy! Before that, with an n Linksys router, it was lag city when somebody started streaming.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    For quite a while it was the router to stay the hell away from, because with the 5.0 revision they halved the RAM and storage to 8MB/2MB and switched the default OS to VxWorks. Needless to say this caused issues with a lot of third-party firmwares, which is why you have to use something like DD-WRT's Micro edition. The GS also suffered a similar fate.

After that change the model you were likely interested in was the WRT54GL.

I'll also second mcdermott's recommendation of Tomato.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i use tomato on my 54GL

it works well, especially in an apartment building full of other wifi signals

and it is stable as heck

poo
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I know I mentioned this above, but I've had really great luck with my ASUS RTN16, which works really well with DD-WRT, and I assume would work equally well with Tomato. It's nice if you'd like something with some horsepower, as well as USB ports, Gigabit ethernet, and 802.11n.

Alecthar on
  • nulagrithomnulagrithom Registered User new member
    I prefer Tomato myself.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato/

DD-WRT is really powerful, but Tomato has a very nice UI and is user friendly IMO. I almost wish mine went down more often so I'd have a reason to log in to it. =D

• HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    God bless the folks who devote their time to writing custom firmware for shit. I had problems with my 54GL off and on for about 6 months (signal strength, connection problems, resetting settings randomly), so I flashed DD-WRT onto it a few months ago.

Since then, I've had literally no issues, and every device in my house has an excellent connection to it. Rock. Fucking. Solid.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    When my WRT54G router died I made the switch to WNR3500L running Tomato. As Shaskar said it's stable as heck.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]