As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 07/04/12 - You are...just...like me.

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Graphic Violence
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #12 has the conclusion to Miles/Uncle Aaron arc, in a pretty surprising finish. It's a little sad that he appears to be dead already, but it'll be interesting to see how Miles will cope with it. Also, it'll be interesting to see how Miles will get his suit fixed.
yqib4.jpg
2Mm2I.jpg
HsiY7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #689 provides a pretty great sequel story to shed so far. Though really hope they don't do something silly like actually bring back conners.
UZ2w6.jpg
O9xgW.jpg

Action Comics #11 is probably my favorite issue since 4/1. Superman and Batman BFF.
0DWQE.jpg
gwhsN.jpg

Also as for something else to add to the thread, choose one of the books you picked up this week as your "book of the week". Mine would have to be Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #12.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
UltimateInferno on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    My book of the week? Lookouts #1, the Penny Arcade characters, brought to the big page! 22 pages for a buck, too, you can't beat that. If you have children and run across the Sphinx, and he asks a riddle, for the love of God keep their mouths shut:
    lookouts1a.jpg

lookouts1b.jpg

lookouts1c.jpg

It's a good issue, really in tone with the strips, and it's got some nice ye olde coloring effect to it.

Uncanny X-Men #15, Colossus tries to talk it out with Cytorrak:
    xmenuncanny2-15a.jpg

xmenuncanny2-15b.jpg

xmenuncanny2-15c.jpg

Popeye #4, Wimpy gets into a boxing match, and then it all turns into Blazing Saddles:
    popeye4a.jpg

popeye4b.jpg

popeye4c.jpg

And this was from last week but I just got around to it, Superman Family Adventures #2, Streaky doesn't care for Fuzzy:

supermanfa2a.jpg

supermanfa2b.jpg

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I haven't had a chance to read Animal Man, Swamp Thing, or Infernal Man-Thing #1, but Transformers: Robots in Disguise #7 was a really good issue, Barber's finally finding his voice.
    The story itself was about a believed dead Decepticon arriving on Cybertron claiming peaceful intentions, on a ship with something suspicious on board. Poor Wheeljack had to infiltrate. Metalhawk, the pacifist who believes in second chances actually wanted to kill the Decepticon, and Starscream took 'hawk to Maccadam's Old Oil House to talk.
    then this happened.
    1341356282_RID7-3.png

Antimatter on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Action Comics #11
    Lois Lane's niece, Suzy. She was foreshadowed in issue #6 by the Legion of Super-Heroes. She is kind of adorable.
    a_11_013.jpg
    Also, could that line about saying the name of everything backwards be a reference to... Mxyzptlk? Who might be the short man gathering an army? She does seem to have some pre-cog abilities, after all. And that would explain the undecipherable word that the Anti-Superman Army used to teleport back in issue 6.

Earth 2 #3
    I love all the subtle differences between this and Earth 1, like how 2 has Roman gods instead of greek gods, how the heroes are called wonders instead of superheroes, and in this issue how the force that chooses Alan Scott is actually the Green, he is basically a Swamp Thing. And Solomon Grundy is the Anton Arcane of this world.
    1341424342687.png

Tairu on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Action Comics #11
    Lois Lane's niece, Suzy. She was foreshadowed in issue #6 by the Legion of Super-Heroes. She is kind of adorable.
    a_11_013.jpg
    Also, could that line about saying the name of everything backwards be a reference to... Mxyzptlk? Who might be the short man gathering an army? She does seem to have some pre-cog abilities, after all. And that would explain the undecipherable word that the Anti-Superman Army used to teleport back in issue 6.
    The original Suzy was an Earth-2 character who used to cause trouble for Superman by telling ridiculous lies, and who once did team up with Mr Mxyzptlk.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    Action Comics #11
    a_11_013.jpg
    The original Suzy was an Earth-2 character who used to cause trouble for Superman by telling ridiculous lies, and who once did team up with Mr Mxyzptlk.

woah!

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Action Comics #11
    a_11_013.jpg

woah!

Here we are:
    15361.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I bought Batman: Earth One and it was pretty much exactly what I wish the New 52 was actually like

it was a really fun, clever reimagining of the Batman origin

Honestly I am surprised at how well Johns was able to tweak existing characters to make them feel new and fresh

Harvey Bullock is an ex-TV Star host of a cop show come to Gotham to re-open the cold case of the Wayne's murder and
    ends up being a positive influence on his partner James Gordon before seeing horrible, horrible things in the depths of the old Arkham Asylum and taking up drinking.

Lucius Fox is a young up and coming designer at Wayne Tech that has been shafted after disagreeing with his boss

Alfred is an ex-Royal Marine who served with Thomas Wayne in Desert Storm and becomes Bruce's reluctant legal guardian after the murder

Oswald Cobblepot is the corrupt mayor of Gotham City after winning the election after Thomas Wayne's murder

Bruce himself is super interesting, as he is very much still a young man. He thinks he can put on a bat costume and a cape and suddenly he is another being, but his gadgets misfire, he fails to make jumps and he gets the shit kicked out of him a lot.

It is a really, really great book and I highly recommend it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I would love to, but it's not available on comixology :(

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    honestly blank, literally none of that sells me on batman

7656367.jpg
    honestly blank, literally none of that sells me on batman
    Well, your loss then.

I really enjoyed it! It is pretty blatantly Ultimate Batman and that's all I wanted out of it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I flipped through it in the store, and it felt a little thin. I don't know if I'd buy it at full price, but if you preorder it via Amazon, it's something like $2 per 22 pages, which is pretty good.

I was kind of intrigued by the young, handsome Bullock I saw while I was flipping through it. Thought that was interesting. And one of the guys from Savage Critics, said it was the only time since Paul Pope's Batman, that they actually believed Batman was just a guy in a suit.

So, my interest is piqued.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    pimp_panther.png

Avengers vs. X-Men was fucking fantastic
    Best issue of the event by far for me
    Hawkeye and Black Panther got to be boss
    Tony was funny, Cyclops was cool
    Wanda and Namor really got to tear loose

More of this, please

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    so is batman earth one available early in some shops??

Armoroc wrote: »
    so is batman earth one available early in some shops??
    It comes out this week in comic shops, next week in book stores

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    T'Challa keeps his pimp hand strong.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    pimp_panther.png

Is that a mix of BP's regular costume and his MwF gear?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Does Black Panther have to smack a bitch?!?

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    pimp_panther.png

Is that a mix of BP's regular costume and his MwF gear?

It looks really close to the costume he wore when Priest wrote the book, and the one that the guy who impersonated him - who became White Tiger later - wore.

Now I know who should play Black Panther in a movie: Wayne Brady.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    So in Earth One...he just puts on the costume, gets the gizmos from Lucius, and goes out? There's no travelling-the-world/studying-under-the-masters-of-various-fields montage? If that's the case, that's pretty interesting.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Sad MotW and major, major spoilers for The Boys #68:
    Butcher murdered Mothers Milk at the end of the issue. He's tying to murder all supes in the world but that also includes regular people exposed to Compound V over the years which numbers in the millions. So Butcher has become the true monster in the story.

Oh yeah he plans on killing everyone with the V stuff by releasing a chemical agent in the atmosphere. And he knows about the civilians angle but doesn't give a fuck.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    So in Earth One...he just puts on the costume, gets the gizmos from Lucius, and goes out? There's no travelling-the-world/studying-under-the-masters-of-various-fields montage? If that's the case, that's pretty interesting.
    Yes, but also no.

He builds the gizmos himself but they break because Bruce isn't an engineer

then he takes them to Lucius

but yeah he has had minimal training and is definitely more rash than the usual Batman, as Alfred calls him out on

CYpGAPn.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Re: Action Comics #11
    I think I might have to reread it, but is this the first time the imp hasn't even cameod in an issue?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Re: Action Comics #11
    I think I might have to reread it, but is this the first time the imp hasn't even cameod in an issue?
    Not the first time, no. He didn't show up from 3-5 either.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I just learned something driving through Missouri. Their Dept of Transportation is run by a MODOK, or at least a variant MoDOT, presumably a Mental Organism Designed only for Transportation.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I didn't think that the condom-head Cyclops look could get any worse, but, whelp, I'm proven wrong again.

Now that I think of it, why does he need the visor with his Phoenix powers? You'd think that he'd remedy that 40+ year old nuisance.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I didn't think that the condom-head Cyclops look could get any worse, but, whelp, I'm proven wrong again.

Now that I think of it, why does he need the visor with his Phoenix powers? You'd think that he'd remedy that 40+ year old nuisance.

He's shown without the visor before Hope leaves the X-Men to join the Avengers.

He just wears it because it's part of his costume.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to read Animal Man, Swamp Thing, or Infernal Man-Thing #1, but Transformers: Robots in Disguise #7 was a really good issue, Barber's finally finding his voice.
    The story itself was about a believed dead Decepticon arriving on Cybertron claiming peaceful intentions, on a ship with something suspicious on board. Poor Wheeljack had to infiltrate. Metalhawk, the pacifist who believes in second chances actually wanted to kill the Decepticon, and Starscream took 'hawk to Maccadam's Old Oil House to talk.
    then this happened.
    1341356282_RID7-3.png

Fuck Fall of Cybertron. I want a Transformers RPG with things like this happening all the time.

8aVThp6.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    No kidding. This was the best issue of the series yet, Wheeljack is great and the story was cool.

Creator-Owned Heroes #2; Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Phil Noto's Trigger Girl crashes a fashion show, and stages an assault on the White House, in that order.
    XAEFg.jpg

I really like the weird, sci-fi aesthetic of the crowd. It's like a group of extras from Heavy Metal, or The Dark Knight Returns. And I love the panel where she brushes the broken glass out of her hair.

Deadpool #57; Deadpool, sans healing factor, is forced to contend with Paste Pot Pete, SHIELD robots, and Taskmaster. Shawn Crystal's art is fantastic, here, and Way actually writes a pretty good little story, which goes nowhere in a hurry.
    iHrHm.jpg

I'm a sucker for a good homophone joke.

Dr. Strange: Season One; From the Season One Guide giveaway book, Emma Rios once again takes on Dr. Strange, this time with writer Greg Pak. The preview's short, but hints at an interesting, adversarial relationship between Wong and Strange, both of whom are studying under the Ancient One, presumably competing for the role of Sorcerer Supreme.
    8gTwy.jpg

Hulk: Season One; Fred Van Lente and Tom Fowler team up to take on the Hulk, as he battles AIM. I'm going to be buying this just for Fowler's art, but Van Lente seems to be going in an interesting direction with the writing, too. Maybe it's just me, but Hulk feels very much like the Lee/Ditko Hulk, who was something of an abrasive, plain-talking thug.
    8cZlA.jpg

Punisher #13; Frank Castle's superpower? One-liners.
    jQrzP.jpg

Haunt #24; Joe Casey writes, and Nathan Fox draws, Jeff Brigdes as the the dude, fighting a fire golem. The titular Haunt's in the book too, I guess.
    W39dS.jpg

Honestly, Casey's fascination with his new pet character, as well as the way he butchered (literally and figuratively) the old cast of the book, is kind of annoying. But damn, Nathan Fox draws the Hell out of it, and if nothing else, Casey surprises me a little bit every month. It's not always a good surprise mind you, but I'm okay with that. I think more comic-readers could use a bit of bewilderment and confusion in their lives.

My shop was shorted a few boxes by UPS, so I won't get Danger Club, Man-Thing, etc. until this Wednesday. But, given that I also picked up the newest Invincible TPB with this haul, I can't say I mind.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Oh man, Wong has a full head of hair in that, and women fawn over him as well?

It's like Wong wrote it himself.

dang, love that punisher line

and I'm very interested in Hulk and Doctor Strange Season One

edited July 2012
    I like that Pak seems to be doing a whole Holmes/Watson thing with them.

I forgot, I also finally read all the Double Feature Comics I'd downloaded a while back, and hadn't yet made time to read. And gosh, they're good.

From Fantasy Double Feature #2: Colt Noble and the Mega-Lords; Tim Seeley does a fun, clever parody of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
    In the previous page, Not-Skeletor's henchwoman suggests they use their doomsday device again, but relocate to someplace that isn't the first place the heroes will look for doomsday devices. Not-Skeletor, being an old-school villain, is having none of that shit, and blows the doomsday device up, to put an end to the conversation.

miBK4.jpg

I love villains who are genre-savvy, and those who deliberately try not to be. I know Seeley did a one-shot with these characters a while back, and I have to track it down, now. Because this was great.

Sci-Fi Double Feature #3: The Omega Family; Tom Scioli, who's really made a name for himself doing Jack Kirby-tinged projects like Godland and American Barbarian, does a story that's basically a send-up to the pulpy sci-fi serials of the fifties and sixties.
    YyWsy.jpg

Harsh Marsh and the Hellagators would be a pretty awesome name for a punk band.

You can buy these, and many other great titles, from Double Feature Comics, whether as .PDFs, or via their iPad app.

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow, those are all great, Munch. I think Emma Rios is one of my favorites now.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Daredevil Season One gives Daredevil's origin the All Star Superman treatment.
    Daredevilallstar.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Wow, those are all great, Munch. I think Emma Rios is one of my favorites now.

Have you ever read the Dr. Strange series she did with Mark Waid? Or Hexed, from Boom Studios? They're done in a different style from what she's doing now, but still great.

I actually still need to read the Osborn mini she drew, with Kelly Sue Deconnick. That seems to be where her new, grittier style originated.

And yeah, that Atomic Robo video is great. The outtakes at the end really make it.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    What is this "Season One" stuff? I didn't see any of that at the LCS last week.

Season One is a line of graphic novels Marvel is doing where they retool various characters' origins for the modern day

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    No, I haven't, Munch. I will look into that Dr Strange thing, as in put in my wishlist.