As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good luck finding the Pizza Planet truck. [BRAVE]

1161718192022»

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    That is all kind of pretty

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    jesus all the coolest stuff is comiccon exclusives

• DessartDessart Registered User regular
    And now to wait for it to hit ebay at ridiculous prices.

But yeah this movie was great. I was getting teary eyed at the end, though my little cousin who I went with was so touched but I think that is just an maturity difference. I didnt feel as if it was as great as other Pixar films as it stayed quite formulaic, however it did succeeded at everything it did. The witch was featured only shortly but was given such a strong personality, and same for all the lords of the clans and their sons. Its a great addition to Pixar's portfolio

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I have some mixed feelings about this movie.

Visually, I loved it. It was an amazing, visually gorgeous movie.

Storywise I struggled a tiny bit.

I get what a lot of people are saying about the dynamics of a parent-child relationship, and those of a mother-daughter one tend to be, you know, people just not listening to each other and having very different perspectives on what is "best" for the daughter. (Not saying that father-son relationships don't struggle from the same, but points of conflict in so many of those relationships tend to be about strength and knowledge and control.)

I appreciate that they had the guts to pursue that story. And honestly, in some key scenes, they did this magnificently well, such as:
    the cut-to-cut monologues that both the mum and Merida are having near the beginning of the movie

the bow-burning

the charades scene where Merida is only really "listening" when the mum isn't actually speaking

mum charging into that battle with all kinds of "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH"

The movie does a fantastic job of demonstrating that even though you're both speaking English, it still doesn't mean you're speaking the same language. It's only when you KNOW you're not speaking the same language that you actually make the effort to really listen.

But what did not actually work so well for me were the nitty-gritty plot details.
    That witch popping in and out of nowhere, the weirdly literal "mending" of the tapestry and how the spell was broken, the little boy bears (like, I get that they're comedic relief and "for the kids" but I mean the spell just doesn't make sense with them, even if you wrap it under the general blanket of the original curse), and how the hell the king went like a day and a half without checking on his wife or someone else (like a cleaner) noticing the state of the bedroom.

I also really struggled with the lopsided message (i.e., the story and its morals sided pretty heavily with Merida over her mother), but I think this needs a bit more reflection from me before I can comment on it.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    the tapestry isnt what saved them, it was merida admitting that she was wrong and she loves her mother! def agreed with everything else though, especially how the ending favored merida too much

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    the tapestry isnt what saved them, it was merida admitting that she was wrong and she loves her mother! def agreed with everything else though, especially how the ending favored merida too much
    yeah I figured that, but the fact that they'd gotten it "wrong" isn't really made super clear; the sunlight hits them right as Merida admits she loves her mum and I don't know that it's explicit enough that the tapestry was a wild goose chase.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't think that I would agree that the tapestry was a wild goose chase. Just because it didn't work immediately doesn't mean that it wasn't an important part of Merida and her mother reconciling.

edited July 2012
    I don't think that I would agree that the tapestry was a wild goose chase. Just because it didn't work immediately doesn't mean that it wasn't an important part of Merida and her mother reconciling.
    obviously not, since it led to events that brought them back together

but in terms of breaking the spell, it was a wild goose chase; they probably could've found other ways to "mend" that didn't involve the tapestry, but as a plot forwarding device the tapestry was the easiest item to generate an adventure that led to their reconciliation

doesn't change the fact that the tapestry itself didn't break the curse apart from being symbolic of their bond

Vivixenne on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I think it is worth noting that Brenda Chapman, the initial director who conceived of the story and wrote the original script, was pulled from the project in 2010 over creative differences and was replaced by Mark Andrews. Perhaps some of the disparities and tonal hiccups in the final product could be attributed to this, we'll never know since neither Brenda nor anyone else at Pixar have ever elaborated on why she was removed from the project.

here is an interview with Brenda: http://www.pixarportal.com/blog.php?id=brenda-chapman-interview-part-two-brave

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I kind of like that they left some ambiguity over what exactly fixed the problem.

Kind of ties into the mysticism.

I wasn't a big fan of the witch as a comic relief character, in the original draft that was supposed to be a much more serious and mystical scene.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I loved that they made her comic relief

If they had made her more mystical or sinister or something it would have been exactly what you expected

there were definitely inconsistencies throughout the movie in terms of tone and pace

they weren't big or bad ones, but they were definitely there, and I think that's what bothered me

not because NO movies have these issues

but I mean as far as Pixar movies go, this one definitely had more visible, jarring tonal shifts than other movies

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    RE: Viv's issues
    As far as the boys are concerned, I was under the impression that the witch's solution to all of her requests was bears, since it's implied that the king from the old stories was the prince who asked for the strength of ten men and got turned into that black bear. Therefore the food was just a general 'turn people into bears' spell.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

If they had made her more mystical or sinister or something it would have been exactly what you expected
    Agreed.
    The idea that all the witches problems are "turn it into a bear" makes less sense if you take the character as more serious as well

I think it's a cliche either way, but from what the art book hints at the scenes with her were supposed to be some pretty mind-bending visual trickery that I really would have liked to see. The entire bit with the cottage and interior disappearing and changing would have been much more elaborate.

On the other hand it would have been even more of a stretch for Merida to decide to sign her Mum over to a very clearly evil-looking witch-sorcerer that she'd only known for a few minutes.

Vivixenne wrote: »
    obviously not, since it led to events that brought them back together

but in terms of breaking the spell, it was a wild goose chase; they probably could've found other ways to "mend" that didn't involve the tapestry, but as a plot forwarding device the tapestry was the easiest item to generate an adventure that led to their reconciliation

doesn't change the fact that the tapestry itself didn't break the curse apart from being symbolic of their bond
    The thing is though, Merida splitting the tapestry was symbolic of her severing the bond with her mother in just the same way as repairing it symbolized mending the bond. Magic in stories is always symbolic, and in a way, cutting the tapestry was Merida beginning to cast the spell to divide her and her mother forever.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I really liked the tapestry bit

Because it's obvious, but it's also obviously symbolic

Mending the tapestry is a WAY to mend the emotional bond

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Apparently the art book shows a number of things cut from production

As far as the boys are concerned, I was under the impression that the witch's solution to all of her requests was bears, since it's implied that the king from the old stories was the prince who asked for the strength of ten men and got turned into that black bear. Therefore the food was just a general 'turn people into bears' spell.
    aw yeah definitely, but I was more talking about how the spell would be broken

the original spell is "turn someone into a bear unless they do <this stuff> before the second sunrise" - the spell was broken for the mum, which is cool and all, but you never hear of a condition to break the spell of the boys being bears

and like I said, I understand that it's all the "same" spell - i.e., the condition for breaking it is that Merida and mum repair the rift between her and her mother - but I dunno, I just thought the boys being bears would've been a bit more of a complicating thing than it was

as it is, it was used as (cheap?) comic relief and an "awwwwww" factor, and I didn't particularly like that

also

re: Viv's issues

is the best first line for a post

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    aw yeah definitely, but I was more talking about how the spell would be broken

the original spell is "turn someone into a bear unless they do <this stuff> before the second sunrise" - the spell was broken for the mum, which is cool and all, but you never hear of a condition to break the spell of the boys being bears

and like I said, I understand that it's all the "same" spell - i.e., the condition for breaking it is that Merida and mum repair the rift between her and her mother - but I dunno, I just thought the boys being bears would've been a bit more of a complicating thing than it was

as it is, it was used as (cheap?) comic relief and an "awwwwww" factor, and I didn't particularly like that

Ah, gotcha.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    The pizza planet truck was really easy to find

sig2.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Really?

They're making another toy story?

Not that I'm aware of, where did you get that idea?

well it's weird

EX0Ku.jpg

There's the big art book that's similar to the one that most pixar movies have, and that contains a lot of the sketch and production work and about 90% of what's in there is stuff in the movie.

qYzkM.jpg

But there's also a smaller art book that uses this artwork on the cover, and must have been prepared for an earlier version of the movie. It has a bunch of weird shit in it (the bear has a gang of wolf companions, the wisps have a wisp queen, the three brothers have distinctive personalities instead of being interchangeable, alternate titles where it's still called "The Bear and the Bow").

I own the first but have only leafed through the second, really want to take another look at it though.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Just saw this film. It was a fun movie and my family liked it. My dad usually falls asleep through movies but he was awake for this one, a good mark in it's book. I feel like I've heard a disproportionate amount of criticism levied toward this film. Collectively we must be very disappointed about Cars 2 last year and are coming in with a lower level of trust in Pixar's following film.

I do have an unusual complaint myself: for all the praise heaped on Brave's visuals . . . I wasn't blown away. Sure, Merida's hair was gorgeous and the forest was lovely but this was the first Pixar film I've seen where the stylization and high level of detail come into friction. I was honestly put-off a few times by the proportions of the characters given the realistic textures and backgrounds, the stylized humans compared to the animals (certain obvious creatures looked fine but Merida looked downright odd with her horse), and the porcelain-doll skin was at odds with their richly textured hair and the fabrics they wore. I've never felt this toward any other Pixar film. Not to say the movie looked atrocious, but there were too many moments were I was pulled out of the film because of these aesthetic details I've mentioned. I've only heard this complaint from a few other sources so it isn't something that bothered a lot of people, but I do hope Pixar doesn't keep developing films along this aesthetic.

And that was my weird complaint.

that is a huge breed of horse, though

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Rolo wrote: »
    well it's weird

EX0Ku.jpg

There's the big art book that's similar to the one that most pixar movies have, and that contains a lot of the sketch and production work and about 90% of what's in there is stuff in the movie.

qYzkM.jpg

But there's also a smaller art book that uses this artwork on the cover, and must have been prepared for an earlier version of the movie. It has a bunch of weird shit in it (the bear has a gang of wolf companions, the wisps have a wisp queen, the three brothers have distinctive personalities instead of being interchangeable, alternate titles where it's still called "The Bear and the Bow").

I own the first but have only leafed through the second, really want to take another look at it though.

Where have you seen the second book? I only see the first one on amazon

SaraLuna on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Typically in every Pixar movie, they will show an object that will be in the next one.

Usually in the form of a toy or something.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    They show something from Monsters University in this

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Typically in every Pixar movie, they will show an object that will be in the next one.

Usually in the form of a toy or something.

Oh are you talking about the Pizza Planet truck? Nah that's in literally every Pixar movie.

There is a little woodcut relief of Sully from Monster's Inc which refers to the next Pixar Release - Monsters University

Rolo wrote: »
    well it's weird

EX0Ku.jpg

qYzkM.jpg

Where have you seen the second book? I only see the first one on amazon

It was in an import bookstore called Labyrinth that specializes in art books and comics. They do get international versions of books as well, so this could be the European or Asian markets edition.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Finally saw this movie.

I thought the tone was off for most of it. Specifically the slap stick felt like it had too much an even beat across the movie. Nearly every moment was tempered by a 'laugh' moment. There were too few moments where the gravity of the situations were allowed to breathe. Because of that, it all kind of was the same texture throughout... which is something Pixar has been good at not doing in the past.

I feel if it had been less 'funny movie' and more 'sweeping country, eerie magic' it would have been a better move.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I would like to commit foul necromancy on this thread, for the film has finally reached these shores, and I enjoyed it!
    Getting this out of the way first: My God it was beautiful. The scenery and characters were a delight to look at.

I think the Queen could have used more time to reflect on her flaws and development, since that scene where they're voicing their grievances at different character shows that they both needed to compromise. I guess it's hard to convey that as a bear. However I really liked the whole "You know, trying to screw destiny is great and all, but there are consequences to it you need to think about" angle, it's not often that's the message of these stories. I only saw the teaser, so I wasn't sure what I was getting, but a mother-daughter movie is a good thing for the wheel to land on. Not my favourite movie, but quite an ambitious one and I respect it for that.

Also, they got the Pizza Planet truck cameo in there in a way that kinda makes sense, mad props to that.