As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HELP Monitor not being detected

DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
So I had been running dual monitors, but when I tried to update my drivers (Radeon HD 6700 series) my second monitor stopped working and now it's not being detected. I've tried the classic unplug/replug but I'm not having any luck. The driver update messed my computer update to the point that I had to do a system recovery.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Boot into safe mode and see if that changes anything.

• Options
    Additional info may help 'cause I'm still having trouble. 3f805ad7-d9f2-4f0e-b644-d297c0a9ea2c.jpg

The monitor works when it's plugged directly into the Video card monitor slot, and the second monitor was plugged into the monitor port in the blue area above.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    That's why, with a graphics card they usually disable the onboard video. You can get a VGA-DVI adapter and use both the VGA and the DVI ports on your graphics card.

• Options
    My graphics card has only DVI and two HDMI, and neither of my monitors are HDMI

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Get an HDMI to DVI cable.

• Options
    I have to do VGA - DVI - HDMI. I think I have a spare VGA - DVI somewhere around here.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I have to do VGA - DVI - HDMI. I think I have a spare VGA - DVI somewhere around here.

that wont work:
    hdmi is a digital only connector, dvi-i is digital+analog and vga is analog only.
    hdmi <-> dvi works because it just changes the pinout for the digital signal to the other plug type.
    and dvi-i <-> vga does the same, the little plus with 4 pins on a div connector is a separate analog signal.

the problem in that trying to go hdmi -> dvi -> vga you won't be getting any analog video signal.

your going to need something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8126&seq=1&format=2

and trying to get 2 different video cards(onboard+discreet) working at the same time is bloody hard, it's why you should disable the onboard video when you install a discreet card.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms