As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    One thing that hasn't been addressed yet, and I wonder if marvel recognizes this for the event:
    The X-Men have the Phoenix power now, why not jump start the mutant gene again? Shouldn't that have been the day one goal, specifically of Phoenix Cyclops? Nothing is stopping you now, clap on

And frankly, why is that even necessary? I didn't read it, but wasn't that the whole point of Hope and her Generation Hope series, that it had already happened?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I personally don't think that anything Wolverine had done prior to Schism suggested that he could be a headmaster either. If anything you'd have guessed that Emma, Beast, or Kitty Pryde would do it, and Wolverine would be the surly teacher who never shows up for class.

Really? He's mentored like five or six X-kids over the last twenty years. He always had a stronger reaction to Xavier's message than Cyclops did too. It feels like a natural and yet creative evolution of the character to me.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I personally don't think that anything Wolverine had done prior to Schism suggested that he could be a headmaster either. If anything you'd have guessed that Emma, Beast, or Kitty Pryde would do it, and Wolverine would be the surly teacher who never shows up for class.

Really? He's mentored like five or six X-kids over the last twenty years. He always had a stronger reaction to Xavier's message than Cyclops did too. It feels like a natural and yet creative evolution of the character to me.

I always felt that Xavier's message was Scott's strongest belief. Like, Scott was more dedicated to his surrogate father's ideals than his surrogate father was, he loved that old man more than anything. Which is why him kind of going "fuck it" after decimation makes sense, because it was around that time that Scott and Xavier fell out, with Scott starting to really get disillusioned with the whole deal. He'd given his life to the dream of another, only to find out that the dream wasn't real, and it's creator didn't even really believe in it.

I'm not sure I'd say the dream itself wasn't real as much as Scott equated Xavier with the dream so much that when he stopped believing in Xavier, he couldn't believe in the dream either. Logan, on the other hand, was convinced of the dream itself, and being a man who had made many bad choices in his time, was better able to separate the dream from the Xavier's flaws.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    For Avengers
    "And that's important because while Jerome Opena is launching the series and drawing the opening story, Adam Kubert will be the second artist, Dustin Weaver will be the third, and Mike Deodato will be the fourth.

And apparently Hickman is doing New Avengers as well :/ Though apparently for the most part these new titles aren't canceling other titles, Secret Avengers and Avengers Assemble still exist.
    Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man all to get confirmed relaunches as well.

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    So will Avengers/New Avengers have a Fantastic Four/FF type of story relationship? Because that would be pretty great.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I think FF works as the companion because it's the kids continuing the ideas of FF after Fantastic Four came back to existence, and is clearly the subservient book. I don't know if you can do that with New Avengers, as that would be saying you have b and c listers and Marvel has never really wanted to do that with the Avengers franchise. Ever since Civil War it was always distinguished by lines other than A-list and B-list, even up to now.

TexiKen on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Eh...you're probably right. Still, it's exciting to have two Avengers books from Hickman. I'm already giddy.

No no, Hickman writing two books is good, and Remender writing the other one is fine.

It's that they now have five main Avengers books now, that's crazy.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    They should merge Avenger's Academy and Wolverine and the X-Men.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    They should merge Avenger's Academy and Wolverine and the X-Men.

I don't know about that. Some of the two book's main characters would be pushed to the wayside, since a primary cast of more than a dozen characters is really hard to manage.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Thor, Iron Man and Captain America confirmed to get new series in Marvel NOW!

and Bleeding Cool claims that Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting will be on New Avengers come January. I can believe it.

EDIT: Never mind, it has been confirmed by Marvel.

Also that Opena will be followed by Adam Kubert, Dustin Weaver and Mike Deodato on Hickman's bi-weekly Avengers.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    first cover / full team for Uncanny Avengers
    Uncanny-Avengers_510.jpeg

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Uncanny-Avengers_810.jpg
    Cassaday's...questionable perspective(or maybe that is just me) aside

Wanda and Rogue's new suits are fantastic.

Havok needs to lose the headpiece

CYpGAPn.png
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

CYpGAPn.png
    Uncanny Avengers will also feature the mutant Rogue, who Remender describes as “the Wolverine of the team now. Her adoptive step-mother was Mystique, so she was raised to hate the Avengers.” And there will be some interpersonal turmoil around the final member of the team: Scarlet Witch, who recently returned to the Avengers after years of being mostly in the background of the Marvel Universe. “She’s the character responsible for eradicating the mutants in the first place,” says Remender, who describes the Witch’s role in the book as a “redemption arc.”

CYpGAPn.png
    I wonder if the whole shebang about covers being more "cinematic" means they are just going to be more like movie posters.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Rogue? Yes. Havok old costume? No.

I hope every issue is Rogue trying to hit the Scarlet Witch very hard.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.

The first page should be Rogue punching her in the face, and every other mutant who wants to. That's how you begin a redemption arc.

Havok as the leader? That's a little contrived, and hopefully it gets mentioned in the actual series, like Havok knows he's being given some special treatment because Cap and his brother don't like each other and it's some kind of peace offering on top of a PR move.

I will say that for the last few years, ever since he did the Superman Grounded covers, Cassaday's art has been pretty.......meh. I don't know what he changed since doing Astonishing X-Men, but it's some slight changes that make his art just look off.

It is weird

Cap and Wolverine look fine(okay Cap's face is a little off)

Wanda and Rogue look great

but Thor and Havok are janky as hell. Not meaning costume-wise, just in how they actually look.

CYpGAPn.png
    TexiKen wrote: »

The first page should be Rogue punching her in the face, and every other mutant who wants to. That's how you begin a redemption arc.

Havok as the leader? That's a little contrived, and hopefully it gets mentioned in the actual series, like Havok knows he's being given some special treatment because Cap and his brother don't like each other and it's some kind of peace offering on top of a PR move.

I will say that for the last few years, ever since he did the Superman Grounded covers, Cassaday's art has been pretty.......meh. I don't know what he changed since doing Astonishing X-Men, but it's some slight changes that make his art just look off.
    See I actually kinda like Havok as the leader of a team with both Wolverine and Cap on it

Cap leading the hybrid team would make it seem like a hollow gesture and Wolverine has been siding with the Avengers more often than the X-Men so he would be a poor choice as well

Havok is a capable, popular leader and a really smart choice to be the figurehead of X-Men/Avengers relations.

CYpGAPn.png
    I'm not saying he isn't qualified (all of them except Thor have been decent leaders in the past), just that it is something that should be addressed early on. This was brought up in Peter David's X-Factor run a bit, about the token mutant government squad, it's worth repeating here. Havok mentioning something about being the figurehead leader again, in some kind of self deprecating "it's always me" routine would be a nice recognition of the circumstances.

AVNASS2012005_int_LR-2-3.jpg
    Okay yeah I am down with Bendis' Guardians if he writes like this

CYpGAPn.png
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    I don't really like that Uncanny Avengers art. I don't think it looks good! Hopefully everyone doesn't look so oddly pouty and angry in the actual book?

I am glad they're finally changing Wanda's costume, though.

do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Not a fan of Wanda's new suit. Why does Marvel hate capes now?

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    Not a fan of Wanda's new suit. Why does Marvel hate capes now?
    wait what

you realize Thor is wearing a huge cape on that same cover

CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah I mean there is a cape right there

Wanda's new costume isn't as good as her old one at all though

Modernising costumes is all well and good but you have to make them look better to make it work

I like it way better

her old suit was literally a one-piece swimsuit over a light pink skin-tight unitard with a cape

CYpGAPn.png
    As opposed to her new costume which is a big red coat

oh yes

how inspired

it's not really a new suit so much as skin-tight spandex that shows off her tits

it could use an adornment or something!

It looks way less goofy, yes

CYpGAPn.png
    don't get me wrong I think it's definitely a step in the right direction

I just wish there was more to it

I know that I am the dude who always likes the older costumes around here

but seriously

that is bad change

though the awful art probably doesn't help

I would agree that a cape or maybe just a trenchcoat type of thing would help Wanda's new costume

but it's still better than the classic one

edited July 2012
    I would agree that a cape or maybe just a trenchcoat type of thing would help Wanda's new costume

but it's still better than the classic one
    Yeah I agree a trench-coat esque thing with some coat tails would make it better

but even as is it is waaaaay better than
    AVX-0-preview-2-Scarlet-Witch.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Def better than her classic look but not much

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    You guys are trippin. Wanda's old costume is awesome. Remember, she happens to be a witch so looking witchy is a thing that is good for her.

Wanda's old costume is cool, regardless of weird Frank Cho poses (usually he is way better than that, actually)

Force Works again saves the day:

forceworkswanda.jpg

Best Wanda costume, no silly head gear, no cape, cleavage tucked away so nothing pops out while trying to do a spell.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Not a fan of either look for Wanda. Get rid of the goofy head dress and get her a hooded cloak. Yeah, Rogue has that look, too, but it fits for a witch.

Honestly, Psylocke's original costume would be perfect for Wanda, with some color/armor changes:

937122-mxm_ch_013_psylocke_super.jpg

Get rid of the obvious TNA aspects (lol armorkini), remove the mask, and change it all to crimson and some other color for contrast (deeper shade of red? black? blue? gold?), and you get a suitably witchy look without the 1960s/70s head dress, which has always looked dumb. It's more interesting than a one-piece jumpsuit, too.

This discussion has been closed.