As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    My buddies' basement is finally turning into a gym. Deadlift platform built, and we picked up a plate loaded lat pull down for 35 bucks. Just did some deads off this baby yesterday. It was glorious.

30354436556487426679725.jpg

Brucelee41042 on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That looks great, how much did it cost to put together? I'm already planning my basement gym, whenever I get the basement to put it in.

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    the wook wrote: »
    So I tried the Jefferson lift from this article tonight at the gym. I have never felt such an immediate burn in my sides. 3x6 @ 175.

I like the idea of doing a day of 'odd lifts', to promote lifting ability in less traditional ways. I see it as having some good real world application, as rarely do you get to lift things from an 'ideal' stance.

How much time do people give to training grip strength? Mines pretty good anyway, but I reckon it might be worth adding a specific exercise to get some real vice-hands going.

I do a few exercises one day a week for grip. Any more than that and it starts to trash my other exercises.

Heavy farmers walks. As much as you can hold. I go for 100 feet down, rest and come back. And then do it again.
    Sandbag lifts. Get a 70 Pd sandbag and grab it by the fabric in a pinch grip. Do a high pull. 5 sets of 5.
    I also do a single arm deadlift with the rolling thunder handle. ironmind-store.com/Rolling-Thunder174-Revolving-Deadlift-Handle/productinfo/1246/. As much as you can manage. Hold for 5 seconds at the top. I just 5 triples.

Don't expect to drive anywhere for a couple of hours after doing those. I've had to tape my hands to the steering wheel a couple of times after I couldn't close my fingers.

I think the farmers walks will fit in nicely, good reminder!

I've also started doing kroc rows for this reason. I was doing 66 pounds for 8, and while I was leant over I looked at the dumbell rack and spotted a dumbell beneath it. My gym has two racks with the same make of shiny new 'bell on each, but this thing looks 50 years old. Its 77 pounds, and the handle is maybe a quarter inch thicker than the new ones! Not giant by any means, but I could only manage five and my hand hurt afterwards (the right kind of hurt). I'm put it back beneath the rack, its my secret weapon now.

edited July 2012
    Peen wrote: »
    That looks great, how much did it cost to put together? I'm already planning my basement gym, whenever I get the basement to put it in.

It was about $80 in wood/screws/gorilla glue. You can opt for a pricey-er center board if you want. Something like birch. Horse stall mat was $40. So about $120.

Here's the mats we used:

2 sheets of 4ft by 8 ft 3/4 inch thick plywood. Depending on where you get your rubber mats, they're usually 3/4 or 1/2 inch thick. Make sure to get your centerboard the same thickness. I believe the center came out to 4x4, if you can find that specific size. If not, you'll need to get a 4x8 and cut it in half.

You basically build it upside down, move the stall mat in and cut them to fit. Wood screws + gorilla glue for each layer. Once it's all set and done, you'll have to flip it over though, so you might need a friend. Put a few good coats of sealer and/or polyurethane on the centerboard and you're done.

Brucelee41042 on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Should I always use double overhanded grip on RDLs or switch it up to one overhand one underhand?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Double overhand. Use straps if you need to.

Alright, thanks!

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    @Brucelee41042 that is looking awesome dude.

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Yep that looks sweet.

Aw man I want a basement / garage with enough room for a home gym.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    That is awesome. The guy sets his back so thoroughly and he's so flat coming up.

Right, his back. Don't comment on the fact that he's a maniac or anything.

He brings the intensity, that's for sure.

• RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular

It was about $80 in wood/screws/gorilla glue. You can opt for a pricey-er center board if you want. Something like birch. Horse stall mat was $40. So about $120.

Here's the mats we used:

2 sheets of 4ft by 8 ft 3/4 inch thick plywood. Depending on where you get your rubber mats, they're usually 3/4 or 1/2 inch thick. Make sure to get your centerboard the same thickness. I believe the center came out to 4x4, if you can find that specific size. If not, you'll need to get a 4x8 and cut it in half.

You basically build it upside down, move the stall mat in and cut them to fit. Wood screws + gorilla glue for each layer. Once it's all set and done, you'll have to flip it over though, so you might need a friend. Put a few good coats of sealer and/or polyurethane on the centerboard and you're done.

Where'd you find the horse stall mat? You'd think a prairie province in Canadia would have them available for cheap but I've only ever seen them for sale upwards of $100 on kijiji or the like, which is maddening.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Anything horse related = charge you through the ass.

edited July 2012
    I like this guy's style

Haha fantastic. His form is fucking awesome.
    Methuselah wrote: »
    That is awesome. The guy sets his back so thoroughly and he's so flat coming up.

Yeah. I also noticed he does basically the same setup for every rep, which is probably something I should learn to do more thoroughly. Much like Oly lifters will generally have the same setup each time they lift. The way he sets his hips before each lift is also interesting to note.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    Also yes this guy is generally pretty awesome. He's good at tricking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrleDTTkTtg&feature=plcp

I'd imagine he has great core strength, which probably also goes a long way to helping his DL stay so flat.

• carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Hey fellas (hoping it's ok to ask a question here)
    I'm only new to weight lifting and my goal is to loose excess fat, and bulk up my entire body. I've been consistant for a month.
    Just a question regarding cardio while trying to build muscle. I've read so many contradicting opinions on the internet regarding how much cardio to do, and for how long. It ranges from extremes of 'Don't do cardio' to 'Do cardio every day'
    At the moment, I lift weights 4-5 times a week, focusing on the different core muscles each day (not neglecting legs :D)
    AND, i'm doing a 20 minute run 4 times a week each morning before breakfast.
    I've read too much cardio can ruin muscle development, while i've also read that doing it early in the morning before breakfast every weight training day is good to burn the fat.
    Just wondering what you guys would suggest to someone wanting to bulk up and also keep their fat down.

Spoilered is details of my diet, routine etc. I'm a newbie to this so any suggestions is appreciated
    My diet/routine includes ...

Morning run outside - 20 minutes uphill/downhill

Breakfast - Protein pancakes - 4 egg whites, two scoops of protein powder, 1 cup of wholegrain rolled oats - coconut oil so it doesn't stick

Lunch - chicken breast (seasoned with black pepper) broccoli, snow peas, asparagus

WEIGHT LIFTING

Protein shake, 1 banana

Late afternoon meal - Chicken Breast, broccoli, snow peas, asparagus (again)

Dinner - Chicken breast, broccoli, handfull of brown rice

Throughout the Day: Shit loads of water

I've dropped from 76Kg to 74Kg in two weeks (most likes due to me eating very clean)

carl_rogers on
    If you like doing cardio, then do it.

Do too much intense cardio and you will feel it eating into your lifting performance, and vice versa. But a 20-min run 4x per week is fine IMO.

Just listen to your body at the end of the day. If you constantly feel run-down or sore, then back off for a few days and recover.

A few details about what your program looks like would be helpful.

If you're not pushing strength gains through heavy compound movements, it will be hard to tell how much cardio is cutting into your lifting.

Wait, you're dropping from 167 pounds? How tall are you?

Here's the mats we used:

Where'd you find the horse stall mat? You'd think a prairie province in Canadia would have them available for cheap but I've only ever seen them for sale upwards of $100 on kijiji or the like, which is maddening.

I got mine from a tractor supply. I have no idea what the equivalent would be for you.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with trying to gain weight with minimal fat gain? I'd like to put on 10-15 pounds of muscle but I'm petrified of putting back on the fat I've worked so hard to get rid of and it's stopping me from bulking. I know of lean gains but I was wondering if anyone had any personal insight into it. I'm 5'10" and about 135 pounds currently. No bf% measurements but I'd wager it's around 10-13%. I can supply pictures if it would help.

JKKaAGp.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    You're 5'10 and 135 pounds? Don't worry about fat gain because you undoubtedly look like you're about to fucking die.

You're 5'10 and 135 pounds? Don't worry about fat gain because you undoubtedly look like you're about to fucking die.

^this x1000

Gym's closed for America day.

Meh

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Bench felt decent for the first time today, and looking at a couple strength standard things online it doesn't appear to be as far behind my other lifts as I thought.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Man what the heck happened to my deadlift. Before my cut I pulled a new PR of 402lbs, and now I'm I'm struggling to get 329lbs off the ground. :/

Must be some crazy form issues.. which I am still working on

"Be excellent to each other."
    edited July 2012
    Anyone have experience with trying to gain weight with minimal fat gain? I'd like to put on 10-15 pounds of muscle but I'm petrified of putting back on the fat I've worked so hard to get rid of and it's stopping me from bulking. I know of lean gains but I was wondering if anyone had any personal insight into it. I'm 5'10" and about 135 pounds currently. No bf% measurements but I'd wager it's around 10-13%. I can supply pictures if it would help.

I've gone from 180lbs to almost 220lbs (6'5") with my BF% floating between 12-15%. My diet has basically been "eat food". I haven't really been consistent, so some months I didn't gain much weight, but the months I did gain, I've been focusing on keeping the protein high and filling in the rest of my intake with varying amounts of carbs and fats. I aim for 300 - 700 calories over my required daily intake, per day, though in reality I've had consistency problems, so some days barely break even or fall under, and some days are much higher. Still works for me though. I'll sometimes have a low-cal day or two, just because I get sick of eating and it's a welcome break.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Damn you midnight shifts.

I havent worked out in a week

A WEEK

This is the first time ive gone anywhere near this long without lifting since I started a couple months ago. Is that much time off going to cause a performance issue? Should I continue adding the weight I had previously planned on, or lift what I lifted last time? Or am I being a nervous nancy over nothing and 1 week off at a beginner-level is a total non issue?

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    The last thing, probably. Unless you haven't eaten anything for a week either.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Gym's closed for America day.

Meh

So

Bored

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    A few details about what your program looks like would be helpful.
    See spoiler
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Wait, you're dropping from 167 pounds? How tall are you?

I'm 180 cm. I'm now 74kg, but used to weigh over 100kg about 3 years ago. So i still have quite a layer of fat around my stomach, chest and upper legs.

This is a rough look at what I do each week (with a slight mixup of method and order)
    Monday

Morning Cardio

Pushups - 20

Bench Press: 4 sets, 8 - 10 reps > Dropset

Incline Bench Press: 4 sets, 6-8 reps > Dropset

Incline Dumbell flyes: 3 sets 8-10 reps

Lying triceps extension: 2 sets, 10-12 reps > dropset

Tuesday: Rest & Cardio

Wednesday

morning cario

One arm dumbell row: 4 sets, 8-10 reps > dropset

wide grip pull down: 4 sets, 6-8 reps > dropset

triceps press down: 4 sets, 6-8 reps

barbell curl: 4 sets, 8-10 reps > dropsets

incline dumbell curl: 3 sets, 8-10 reps > dropset

Bent knee hip raise: 8-10 reps, 2 sets

Thursday

No cardio

Dumbell shoulder press: 4 sets, 6-8 reps> dropset

Side lateral raise: 3 sets, 6-8 reps > dropset

dumbell shrugs: 4 sets, 8-10 reps

Friday

Morning cardio

Romanian deadlift: 4 sets, 6-8 reps

Squats (including 15kg added to support bar) 4 sets, 6-8 reps

Bent knee hip raises: 2 sets, 8-10 reps

Rowing machine: 2 mins Between all excercises

Saturday

Rest

Sunday
    Cardio

Pushups, Crunches & oblique crunches, followed by some light free-weights

carl_rogers on
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    Carl, if you're worried about cardio eating into muscle growth, I'd choose cardio that'd put muscle on.

Hill sprints and farmers walks. Short and intense. Rowing is another good option.

When I started cycling up a giant ass hill ever day I worried it'd negatively effect my squats. it did, for a while. Now my legs and ass where I'm most muscular. (plus I'm in the best condition of my life)

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    \Now my legs and ass where I'm most muscular.

Go on...

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I put on my belt and lifting straps...

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Assless lifting shorts

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    Crotchless singlet

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular

Frankly I am amazed that I don't. I've been on multiple scales, digital and otherwise, at multiple gyms and the doctor. It comes out to be around 135 pounds every time, but I don't think you'd guess by looking.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Guess I'll just eat a bunch of stuff. Should I be looking to eat the same amount every day or only on lifting days/days off?

JKKaAGp.png
    Eat a bit more carbs on lifting days. And have something after your workout. Just eat a whole lot

This discussion has been closed.