As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linux Thread - beta version 5 build 6200 alpha release 2

• LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I installed Kubuntu tonight just to see if it would work any better than the last time I tried to install Ubuntu (it really didn't like my video card). I had a bit of a time getting X to run off the live cd but once I get it up and running and got it installed I must say it is very nice. Everything has been a breeze to install and I am in awe of the awesome-ness that is Amarok.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    xorg.conf over to save you the hour or so of twiddling and restarting that it took me

Ctrl + Alt + Backspace is your friend ;)

It seems Twinview is more intelligent than whatever the ATI drivers do. Icons and Windows remain on the correct screen. (Maybe its more of a Window manager issue). Personally I use AXGL and Beryl.

yes that got pressed many a time ... although it seemed after a certain amount of times X just would never start up again, and i'd have to reboot :(

I don't think its an issue with the ati drivers im having, it works fine in standard gnome ... its just the way xgl is treating my fatty desktop i think .. have stopped using it for now, has anyone heard anything on when the ati drivers might finally get AIGLX support? i saw something saying its expected in the next few months but never anything definite.

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
    edited July 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Yes I do have an ati card, and if you would like to email me your xorg.conf that'd be pretty fucking swell of you. I'll send you a PM. :)

Sent'd :)

Photon on
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I tried to get Ubuntu installed on an old PIII Dell I recently acquired, and it keeps giving me hell at around 3%. I can't get past that point in any step and when I do a CD check it gives me the same crap about there being a problem with the disk. This is similar to the error I got when I tried to install Freespire. (The Linspire/LindowsOS free distro.)

Are there any special steps you need to take when burning an iso image to a CD? I just use Nero and the "burn image" option. I wouldn't think it was a problem with the burner itself, as it seems to do music and data CD's alright, but I can't seem to get an iso to burn properly.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Try using imgburn:

http://imgburn.com/

Free and awesome.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A couple of pages ago someone used apt-get to install something.

A million times no! It's terrible; if you ever want to uninstall something, you'll have to manually go through and remove the packages it installed. "aptitude" is the newer front-end to aptitude and does track dependencies, so uninstallation is easier.

MKR on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay ... here's a question I've been unable to find an answer to .... I use Linux (Slackware/KDE) for some pet-projects but because I don't use it often I have it installed under VMWare. My problem is that X/KDE think that my computers can only go up to 1024x768@61Hz. I want to get it up to 1440x1050@60Hz (since that's the native resolution on my laptop). I've tried xorgcfg and xorgconfig, and even editing /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf ... but KDE still won't give me any options for higher resolutions.

Does anybody have any tips that would allow me to simply open a config file and directly override what it's detecting?

EDIT: Nevermind ... I just had to go through a bit of a hassle recompiling the VMWare tools and then making some empty directories so that it would install a new display driver.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited July 2007
    MKR wrote: »

A million times no! It's terrible; if you ever want to uninstall something, you'll have to manually go through and remove the packages it installed. "aptitude" is the newer front-end to aptitude and does track dependencies, so uninstallation is easier.

Actually, not true any more .. newer versions of apt-get can do
    apt-get autoremove <package>

Which removes that package and any dependencies that are now orphaned.

I'm not certain which version this was introduced, but certainly 0.6.45 has it i think. I assume synaptic does this now too? (I don't really use it myself)

Photon on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That's was probably me. I'll apologize if using apt-get is a horrible idea (although apparently apt-get in Ubuntu has offered to remove dependencies for you for 2 full releases now). Why someone would make an entire new project just to create this feature is beyond me too. One of the things I really hate about Linux is theres just to much development to hope to follow it all.

DigDug2000 on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »

That's was probably me. I'll apologize if using apt-get is a horrible idea (although apparently apt-get in Ubuntu has offered to remove dependencies for you for 2 full releases now). Why someone would make an entire new project just to create this feature is beyond me too. One of the things I really hate about Linux is theres just to much development to hope to follow it all.

I'm pretty sure apt-get is deprecated, and aptitude is being done by the same people, and it has just taken a while for distributions to catch up.
    Photon wrote: »

Actually, not true any more .. newer versions of apt-get can do
    apt-get autoremove <package>

Which removes that package and any dependencies that are now orphaned.

I'm not certain which version this was introduced, but certainly 0.6.45 has it i think. I assume synaptic does this now too? (I don't really use it myself)

Well that's good. :)

MKR on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, I tried to get Ubuntu installed on an old PIII Dell I recently acquired, and it keeps giving me hell at around 3%. I can't get past that point in any step and when I do a CD check it gives me the same crap about there being a problem with the disk. This is similar to the error I got when I tried to install Freespire. (The Linspire/LindowsOS free distro.)

Are there any special steps you need to take when burning an iso image to a CD? I just use Nero and the "burn image" option. I wouldn't think it was a problem with the burner itself, as it seems to do music and data CD's alright, but I can't seem to get an iso to burn properly.

Did you check the md5sum of the image file itself? If that's not right, you'll never get a working CD from it, regardless of how you burn it.

japan on
    edited July 2007
    japan wrote: »

Did you check the md5sum of the image file itself? If that's not right, you'll never get a working CD from it, regardless of how you burn it.

Yeah, I checked once I downloaded it. It couldn't have been corrupted when I copied it to my thumb drive and took it home, could it? If not, it's down to either burner hardware/software or media, isn't it?

Also, thanks to the poster above for the imgburn link. I'll try that out tonight if I have time.

NofrikinfuN on
    edited July 2007
    Hmm. Maybe try the disc in another machine?

It could be the CD drive in the computer you're installing to, especially if you've attempted this with more than one disc.

japan on
    edited July 2007
    I hadn't really considered that possibility, to be honest. Unfortunately, while I have a couple spare drives lying around, I don't have any other working computers I'm free to test this on.

NofrikinfuN on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Beyrl/Compiz does nothing but make easy simple tasks take forever. I don't need flashy animations to minimize a window or switch to the next desktop!

rayofash on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Beyrl/Compiz does nothing but make easy simple tasks take forever. I don't need flashy animations to minimize a window or switch to the next desktop!
    Yeah, this is my though as well. It's fun to install for a week or so just to go "oooh, aaah" but after that it just gets in the way.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's worth using for the Exposé feature. I realize that there are some other utilities that can do it as well, but Beryl is the quickest that I've used. You can turn the extra shit off.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »

It's worth using for the Exposé feature. I realize that there are some other utilities that can do it as well, but Beryl is the quickest that I've used. You can turn the extra shit off.

Pshh, that's what wmii is for!

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited July 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Ditto. I use the expose thing, the desktop cube, the ring switcher, the desktop cube and the transparent terminal. Mostly the features that let you see more of your workspace at once because I can never remember which desktop I opened things on, or which window I was doing things in.

They're all things that I now miss when I don't have them. Middle click and drag for switching desktops is nice too.

japan on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    japan, your post reminds me. I miss being able to middle click my mouse (mainly in Firefox) and then just moving the mouse up or down to scroll the webpage or text document or whatever. I should go check and see if there's a way to get that working.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2007
    japan, your post reminds me. I miss being able to middle click my mouse (mainly in Firefox) and then just moving the mouse up or down to scroll the webpage or text document or whatever. I should go check and see if there's a way to get that working.

In Firefox:
    Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Use autoscrolling

japan on
    edited July 2007
    japan wrote: »

In Firefox:
    Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Use autoscrolling

Oh god, I love you! :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alright guys, I need a suggestion for a distro for a specific computer.

I'm proficient enough with Linux, can use the terminal but I really don't like to. I have been toying around with it for years, and recently went Ubuntu only until I had to reinstall Windows for work.

Anyways, I need a Linux distro for an old computer. Specs are as follows:
    Pentium 100Mhz
    80MB RAM
    2 harddrives, I think like 2 gigs each
    4mb PCI vid card
    Soundcard in one of those older black mobo slots - long, pre-pci, what are they called?
    Netgear ethernet card
    I also put a USB PCI card in, so it has 2 ports.

The comp has a cd drive, and a floppy drive, I doubt it supports booting off the cd, but a floppy boot should work. Currently the computer has Windows 98 on it.

I'm looking to get a more modern OS on it besides the Win98 thats on there now, the minimum specs for Win2000 are above this things processor speed, though it might run.

I know there are distros that will work, but I want a modern, usable one. Right now, the only one I have found that I know will run with the requirements are Damn Small Linux, which I've used in the past. Is this my only option? This thing really only needs to browse the internet (with Dillo?), and be able to type things up. Hopefully all the hardware would be recognized and have drivers for them. I'm looking to slap an easy, usable distro of linux on this thing and then donate it. LiveCD would be preferred to test the hardware and for an easy install.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited July 2007
    Also, I'd just like to let everyone know that Photon is one helpful motherfucker. I have dual monitors working, yay! :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2007
    Odium ... It might be worth checking out Deli Linux (short for desktop lite, apparently). Ive never used it myself but I know someone who has and have read good things about it for low resource PC's .. From the screenshots on the site it actually looks pretty nice to me :)

From the website:

* Console only: i386 system with 8 MB RAM
    * Graphical desktop: i486 system with 16 MB RAM
    * Full featured graphical Desktop with Firefox, spreadsheet, multimedia player: Pentium with 32 MB RAM

So sounds like it should suit your hardware nicely :)

You can grab it at http://www.delilinux.org/ .. no liveCD though i dont think :(

Photon on
  • HyperWrenchHyperWrench Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've always had a soft spot for Damn Small Linux, I love any OS that can be booted off the disk. It also lends itself to screwing with others by placing the disk in their machine and wait for the confused screams. Some day I will use Linux for good instead of to annoy, but that won't be anytime soon.

HyperWrench on
    edited July 2007
    So quick question about something that has been bugging me... I have a background picture in my terminal (gnome-terminal) which looks really nice, and the pic is the same size as the default window size of the terminal. However if i make the window bigger the pic gets tiled and looks like ass ... does anyone know a setting (or an alternate terminal) that will scale the image with the window?

Photon on
  • ProselytrossisProselytrossis __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys I want to make a Gentoo partition just to fuck around with it a bit, but how exactly can I repartition a hard drive that I've already dedicated to Windows?

The harddrive has plenty of space. 100+ GBs.

Proselytrossis on
    edited July 2007
    I made a thread about this over at the Ubuntu forums but I thought I'd also ask here. Now that I've got my dual monitor setup working UT2k4 loads in both monitors (same thing in each) and I'd like it to just load in one (say the left one). Anyone know of a way to do that? Sort of make programs open up in a certain window by default or something?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys I want to make a Gentoo partition just to fuck around with it a bit, but how exactly can I repartition a hard drive that I've already dedicated to Windows?

Get PartitionMagic or another program that can partition while you are in Windows if you want to do it safely. I don't trust fdisk or the partition programs that come with the Linux installers.

rayofash on
    edited July 2007

Get PartitionMagic or another program that can partition while you are in Windows if you want to do it safely. I don't trust fdisk or the partition programs that come with the Linux installers.

I went to download it, and saw that it wasn't free. D:

Any other suggestions.

Proselytrossis on
    edited July 2007
    Gparted. It's like Partition Magic, but free and comes on a bootable CD.

EDIT: This was meant to go immediately after your initial question, but works well here too.

japan on
    edited July 2007
    Does fdisk repartition? I'd take the risk if it means saving some time.

Would just suck if I fucked up my whole windows partition because I have very important files and reports and spreadsheets.

Proselytrossis on
    edited July 2007
    I made a thread about this over at the Ubuntu forums but I thought I'd also ask here. Now that I've got my dual monitor setup working UT2k4 loads in both monitors (same thing in each) and I'd like it to just load in one (say the left one). Anyone know of a way to do that? Sort of make programs open up in a certain window by default or something?

Have just tried it and exactly the same happens to me, gonna try playing with it now to get it to work ... plus testing with tuxracer is fun :D got a link to your ubuntu forum thread?

Photon on
  • Mr.FragBaitMr.FragBait Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Would just suck if I fucked up my whole windows partition because I have very important files and reports and spreadsheets.

Don't touch fdisk, that went out of style with win98. Gparted is easy to use and free. Download a cd of Ubuntu or whatever distro you want and it'll be on there to use when it's a live CD.

Heres a simple, bare guide to doing it:
    1)Burn distro of choice, check to see if it works as a live CD and that it has Gparted
    2)Disable page file in windows, defrag repeatedly, till defragging has everything ordered
    3)Start up cd, use Gparted to resize NTFS partition
    4)Install linux
    5)Restart windows, let it scan the windows partition
    6)everything works!

Unless everything goes wrong and your computer spontaneously explodes. Worked for me so far.

Mr.FragBait on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, I am very close to wiping my ubuntu install and reinstalling the 32 bit version. I am losing hair trying to get stuff to work.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been having lock up issues with Ubuntu Feisty after i updated the kernal... Even using the regressive settings it seems i have about a good half hour of solid work time, then it's leased from death.... It crashes on random things too, all i had open were Evolution and Firestarter and blam nothing works...

yet I still haven't booted into windows in 2 days...

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
    edited July 2007
    Photon wrote: »

Have just tried it and exactly the same happens to me, gonna try playing with it now to get it to work ... plus testing with tuxracer is fun :D got a link to your ubuntu forum thread?

Yeah, it's right here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=504909

I really appreciate the help. The game runs fine and I guess at the very least I can just turn off the second monitor, I'd just rather not have to.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2007

Don't touch fdisk, that went out of style with win98. Gparted is easy to use and free. Download a cd of Ubuntu or whatever distro you want and it'll be on there to use when it's a live CD.

Heres a simple, bare guide to doing it:
    1)Burn distro of choice, check to see if it works as a live CD and that it has Gparted
    2)Disable page file in windows, defrag repeatedly, till defragging has everything ordered
    3)Start up cd, use Gparted to resize NTFS partition
    4)Install linux
    5)Restart windows, let it scan the windows partition
    6)everything works!

Unless everything goes wrong and your computer spontaneously explodes. Worked for me so far.

hmm...

I have an external hard drive connected by firewire. Would it be possible to use that for the OS instead?

Proselytrossis on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been having lock up issues with Ubuntu Feisty after i updated the kernal... Even using the regressive settings it seems i have about a good half hour of solid work time, then it's leased from death.... It crashes on random things too, all i had open were Evolution and Firestarter and blam nothing works...

yet I still haven't booted into windows in 2 days...

I had something like that happen once. Just uninstall the update and use the old one until the next kernel update comes out.
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Alright guys, I need a suggestion for a distro for a specific computer.

I'm proficient enough with Linux, can use the terminal but I really don't like to. I have been toying around with it for years, and recently went Ubuntu only until I had to reinstall Windows for work.

Anyways, I need a Linux distro for an old computer. Specs are as follows:
    Pentium 100Mhz
    80MB RAM
    2 harddrives, I think like 2 gigs each
    4mb PCI vid card
    Soundcard in one of those older black mobo slots - long, pre-pci, what are they called?
    Netgear ethernet card
    I also put a USB PCI card in, so it has 2 ports.

The comp has a cd drive, and a floppy drive, I doubt it supports booting off the cd, but a floppy boot should work. Currently the computer has Windows 98 on it.

I'm looking to get a more modern OS on it besides the Win98 thats on there now, the minimum specs for Win2000 are above this things processor speed, though it might run.

I know there are distros that will work, but I want a modern, usable one. Right now, the only one I have found that I know will run with the requirements are Damn Small Linux, which I've used in the past. Is this my only option? This thing really only needs to browse the internet (with Dillo?), and be able to type things up. Hopefully all the hardware would be recognized and have drivers for them. I'm looking to slap an easy, usable distro of linux on this thing and then donate it. LiveCD would be preferred to test the hardware and for an easy install.

I'd try either Slackware or Debian. Maybe Fluxbuntu. For web browsing, use Opera. I know it's closed source, and thus a bit harder to obtain and install, but it's so much better than Dillo (which last time I tried, was unable to render CSS or make posts on forums, and so much faster than Firefox. It also scales down amazingly well for old equipment. I've got it running on a 600MHz, 64mb ram laptop that we've got in the living room as a web box (Opera is only using 32mb ram there), but I've used it on 400MHz /w 64mb ram and 100Mhz /w 40mb ram machines before. It'll start up slower than Dillo, and you might want to disable javascript, but other than that, it's gravy.

Other lightweight software that comes to mind you'll probably want to look into include ROX-filer & PCManFM (file management), Abiword (Obviously), and IceWM (Get a decent theme and config file and it's so much better than fluxbox, imho).

Frem on