As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Chamack to score 30 goals for West Ham

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    For Italian heavy Montreal, that's guaranteed sellout crowds. At least moreso.

EDIT: Also, not a DP. Mega-coup.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Surely Montreal is now the most Italian team MLS has ever seen. There's a joke in there somewhere, but I can't connect the dots.

Also David Beckham got a 1-game suspension for drop kicking a ball at a player that was "injured" and a referee while play was stopped, then attempting to fight San Jose's mascot. Similar MLS incidents include that time that Brek Shea kicked a ball at a referee and got a 3-game suspension, or that time that Rafa Marquez threw a ball at a player and got a 2-game suspension.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Surely Montreal is now the most Italian team MLS has ever seen. There's a joke in there somewhere, but I can't connect the dots.

Also David Beckham got a 1-game suspension for drop kicking a ball at a player that was "injured" and a referee while play was stopped, then attempting to fight San Jose's mascot. Similar MLS incidents include that time that Brek Shea kicked a ball at a referee and got a 3-game suspension, or that time that Rafa Marquez threw a ball at a player and got a 2-game suspension.

He was just helping! That balled healed the downed player and the dude was on his feet instantly, it was a miracle!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    well, its golden balls its not suprising that he didn't get more than a 1 game suspension. I don't think MLS wants LA to miss the playoffs.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    I don't know why I was so surprised that Beckham got the drop kick so accurate as well haha

• Options
    edited July 2012
    USOC final hosting has been announced:

if SKC wins, they host
    If SKC loses and Seattle wins, Seattle hosts
    if Philadelphia wins and Seattle loses, Philadelphia hosts

USSF is claiming that SKC and Seattle submitted identical, sealed bids (which, mind you, include a percentage of ticket sales) and SKC won between the two in a coin toss. What a bunch of utter tripe.

The game will either be on Tuesday Aug 7 or Wednesday Aug 8.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »
    For Italian heavy Montreal, that's guaranteed sellout crowds. At least moreso.

Since moving to Stade Saputo, their crowds have gone to shit. Like, 12000 last game. Which is about what they were drawing last year in the NASL.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Phisti wrote: »
    I do love the sentiment of "I'm a good player, so I should go to a big club to win silverware" shouldn't it be "I'm a good player, so I'll help this team win silverware"? Players who need to head to one of the so-called big four to win, need to give their heads a shake. They're only the big four because players flood to them to win.

Hubris eh?

If you get 30 league goals in a season and your team isn't even challenging for any sort of trophy, chances are that it's not your fault your team isn't winning anything.

yeah, aside from already being in the big four, van Persie wants to go because he thinks what Arsenal wants isn't going to help them win. he got all the player of the year awards, it's not his fault at least.

but yeah it's kinda bad that he came out with it. not in the best interest of Arsenal this is.

I wouldn't begrudge him for leaving

I begrudge him for opening his fucking mouth about it

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    If United take both Fellani and Baines, all my good will towards Everton will be drained. I was looking forward to having a semi-decent team to root for this year.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If you could get any money at all for Fellani it would be worth it.

edit: disregard, i suck dicks

somehow got him mixed up with someone else in my brain

815165 on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Mike bradley is on his way to Roma. I know he did well at chievo but lets hope he gets a chance for regular first team play.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    It's a good move for him, and if he gets the playing time it will really raise his profile. Roma's definitely on a better track than it was a few years ago, though with Juventus resurgent, and Milan and Napoli very strong, it's going to be tough for them to compete for the title.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Bidding to host a cup game. I know there's fan interest to drum up, but bah. If someone wants to straight-up surrender it, that's one thing, but other than that, home field really ought to be the subject of a draw like every other cup. Promotion/relegation is still some time away, but we can at least not bid for cup games.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Park Ji-Sung to QPR. Good buy for 2mil.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    ALVARO BACK IN IT!

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    WE'RE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BITCHES!!!!!!

• Options
    WE'RE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK BITCHES!!!!!!

• Options
    And the double post is absolutely appropriate for just such an occasion!

• Options
    i am gonna remember this game for a long time

cried a bit when zakuani got subbed in

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Park Ji-Sung to QPR. Good buy for 2mil.

Dang, I was a fan of his. Not overly surprising, but still..

• Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    that is one ugly ass kit

• Options
    toxk_02 wrote: »

And that is exactly why I wanted to be at that game!
    But instead my wife and I watched with our scarves from the couch (made for going to bed a lot earlier).

• Options
    ShandoShando Registered User regular
    that is one ugly ass kit

But I love it anyway! Still looking forward to how they update our home/away kits for next year though...

your troll just berserked on us.
  • Options
    Yeah, I still wear the 2009 kit, which looks better. Adidas' USA offices are out of Portland, so I think they're just trolling us with the designs we get.

• Options
    Bleh, I thought it'd be easier to catch games at the HDC after work now that I'm in Santa Fe Springs but it is still 15 miles away and I'd be dealing with afternoon 605 traffic.

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Bleh, I thought it'd be easier to catch games at the HDC after work now that I'm in Santa Fe Springs but it is still 15 miles away and I'd be dealing with afternoon 605 traffic.

Hey, I just moved to Orange County from Texas. I want to go to all the Galaxy games I can so if you can make it to any and want company let me know! I wont talk about Arsenal...too much.

• Options
    edited July 2012

Hey, I just moved to Orange County from Texas. I want to go to all the Galaxy games I can so if you can make it to any and want company let me know! I wont talk about Arsenal...too much.

With you and oldmanken around, I'll end up having to learn French and remember the entire lineup of the Invincibles.

Arikado on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular

With you and oldmanken around, I'll end up having to learn French and remember the entire lineup of the Invincibles.

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ff__Y9lMCo

• Options

Haven't been to a match yet this season... can't wait for the fall when I can actually afford to go.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    so there's a twitter feed from the john terry/anton ferdinand trial

https://twitter.com/SamWallaceIndy

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Portland has a press conference today. Looks pretty well confirmed that they are going to announce that head coach John Spencer is sacked, and general manager John Wilkinson will take over as interim. Spencer's been on very thin ice this season, especially after the team lost to a fully amateur Cal FC side in the US Open Cup. He bought a little bit of time with his team's first MLS win over the Sounders, but has since suffered two bad defeats (3-0 vs. Colorado, then a 2-1 win over San Jose, then a 3-0 loss to RSL) which appears to have pushed him out of the position.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Anyone that can get the Timbers to play competently outside of the Portland city limits would be nice.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Anyone that can get the Timbers to play competently outside of the Portland city limits would be nice.

Heh.

• Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    http://blog.emiratesstadium.info/archives/22756

Interesting article there about how RvP leaving may not be a bad thing

• Options
    PentaghostPentaghost Classification: NOT SO BAD The Southern OracleRegistered User regular
    Shando wrote: »
    that is one ugly ass kit

But I love it anyway! Still looking forward to how they update our home/away kits for next year though...

I really like it too. It's a unique look without being too over the top.

And I had no idea how big football/soccer is in the United States if that video is anything to go by.

• Options
    Pentaghost wrote: »
    Shando wrote: »
    that is one ugly ass kit

I really like it too. It's a unique look without being too over the top.

And I had no idea how big football/soccer is in the United States if that video is anything to go by.
    To be fair, that's the largest soccer stadium and the most popular team in the U.S. Like, average attendance for the Sounders is almost 40,000 this season; the next highest is the Montreal Impact at 25,000, then the LA Galaxy at 23,000. There are only 5 teams that top 20,000 average attendance.

But yeah, unlike most professional sports, the popularity of soccer is growing, especially in the Pacific Northwest (we've gotten three teams in the last four years).

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »

Haven't been to a match yet this season... can't wait for the fall when I can actually afford to go.

Unless you guys are willing to drop $40+ for shite seats, the next normal pricing game won't be until late August. If the game is after 5pm at the HDC and you want company, hit me up.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Liverpool briefly listed Clint Dempsey on their squad list before removing him..

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Liverpool briefly listed Clint Dempsey on their squad list before removing him..

Well, it was nice cheering and praising him... *sigh*

This discussion has been closed.