As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turned on the heat, smoke detector went off

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I came down earlier this morning to turn off the AC but in my sleepy haze, I pushed the button a little too far and switched on the heat. Less than a minute later, the smoke detector started blaring. I turned off the ventilation entirely and went down to the basement. Approaching the furnace, I could smell a slightly burnt smell in the air.

I haven't turned anything on since then for fear that I had done some damage to the system. Is anyone familiar with this? I'm in a house and our heating is done by natural gas if that makes a difference.

Underdog on

• Options
    Billy ChenowithBilly Chenowith Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've never seen it set off a smoke detector, but it's probably just burning dust. If so it'll go away when the dust burns off :o

Billy Chenowith on
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    That smell when you first turn on the heat after it's been off for a while is not at all uncommon and I wouldn't worry too much. What I would be more concerned with is whether or not that is just a smoke detector or a smoke/CO detector. If you wind up with the heat and AC on at the same time, it is very possible to start pumping carbon monoxide through your house if you aren't careful.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Underdog wrote:
    So I came down earlier this morning to turn off the AC but in my sleepy haze, I pushed the button a little too far and switched on the heat. Less than a minute later, the smoke detector started blaring. I turned off the ventilation entirely and went down to the basement. Approaching the furnace, I could smell a slightly burnt smell in the air.

I haven't turned anything on since then for fear that I had done some damage to the system. Is anyone familiar with this? I'm in a house and our heating is done by natural gas if that makes a difference.

Yes, I've had this happen. The ignitor was taking too long to fire, and the ignition box was filling up with too much oil. When it would ignite, it would blow out a puff of smoke and set off the smoke alarm. We had to have the ignitor replaced, it was a fairly cheap part and didn't take long.

Your probably smoked a little because you hadn't been running it, and sometimes there's a little smoke the first time you fire up your furnace for the season. If I were you, I'd make sure to have a reputable maintenance company come out and inspect your furnace just before you're ready to turn it on for the season.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Yeah Id also double check for it being a carbon monoxide alarm too. Rule out things, plus that way you know in the future.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!