As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    Man what the heck happened to my deadlift. Before my cut I pulled a new PR of 402lbs, and now I'm I'm struggling to get 329lbs off the ground. :/

Must be some crazy form issues.. which I am still working on

You will never be weaker than you are right after a cut. There's a good bet that however much weight you lost, at least 20% was muscle. Additionally, your intramuscular stores of glycogen are gonna be depleted. Not to mention that, as far as your body is concerned, you're starving. All non-essential functions get short nutritional shrift. Every step in the process from trying to move a weight to actually moving it is slightly weaker than it was before. It adds up.

One of the best ways to maintain strength during a cut is to make being strong an essential function. If you frequently work with weight >= 90% of your 1RM for squats and deads during a cut, you'll help maintain strength and muscle mass.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Gentlemen I have held 405. It was a rack pull and not a proper deadlift but it came up and I held it.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Peen that is as impressive as your avatar is terrifying

I want to squat and deadlift tomorrow but my back's feelin sore, hopefully it's better by the time I get to the gym.

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So I lifted in this small garage yesterday:

D4kSO.jpg

I should've taken a photo of the whole space to illustrate how small it was. But basically what you see in the frame is about 60% of the space. Immediately behind me was a GHR and reverse hyper station, and in the right-hand corner, just out of frame, was a few extra barbells stacked up. Tiny, but incredibly space efficient.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm building a home gym in an incredibly tight space in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to have an olympic bar, an incline bench, a few plates and some dumbbells to bench with. The only thing I don't know is what kind of adjustable dumbbells to get. They realistically need to be able to fit 50 or so kg on them, and I don't know if standard dumbbells can do so.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    They make Olympic dumbbell handles. Get at least a 20 inch handle. I've used 25s on them with no problems. 35s get a little too unwieldy.

Olympic DB

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    So I lifted in this small garage yesterday:

D4kSO.jpg

I should've taken a photo of the whole space to illustrate how small it was. But basically what you see in the frame is about 60% of the space. Immediately behind me was a GHR and reverse hyper station, and in the right-hand corner, just out of frame, was a few extra barbells stacked up. Tiny, but incredibly space efficient.

I love these setups though. Just small, stuffy, and 100% focused on the task at hand

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    Yeah definitely. I would personally like more space, maybe a separate platform on which to deadlift and clean etc, and some space to pace around in a circle and generally act like a maniac, but obviously this guy works with what he's got.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Gentlemen I have held 405. It was a rack pull and not a proper deadlift but it came up and I held it.

Congratulations! The deadlift will come shortly.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm impressed by how sturdy that kettle bell rack is.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I've had two folks correct my form in the gym in the last week. I really enjoy it, actually. Both of them were knowledgeable, older, and demonstrated that they were capable of heavy lifts. It's nice to see others looking out for you.

JKKaAGp.png
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    I hate how thats worse than a damn kick in the face to seemingly 80% of gym goers. " HEY MAN DONT TELL ME YOU THINK IT MAY BE UNSAFE FOR MY FIRST WORKOUT TO BE 1RM OVERHEAD 1 LEGGED SQUATS ON A BOSU BALL, ALRIGHT, YOURE NOT MY BOSS WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WAHT TO DO"

I wonder how many times I've done dumb shit that could've hurt me, and no one said anything because they don't want to take the chance i'm one of "them guys"
    My guess is, multiple times a day.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It's because most of the people who will come up to you are entitled skinny-douches. Obviously everyone is gonna be thinking you're a fucking retard if you're doing "1rm overhead 1 legged squats on a bosu ball," but 90% of the time it's guys coming up to tell you to squat higher for the sake of your knees or bench with your feet off the ground or some other bullshit.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Or do more curls in the squat rack.

• PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Yeah, ive become extremely skeptical of people giving advice in the gym. Being told by trainers not to drop weights cause it can cause tendonitis, and to use foam padding on the bar when doing squats cause the bar might slip off otherwise.. the list goes on.

Still, pretty happy with the new gym, apparently we're moving this week to a new place with more space. Plans include a cargo net overhead for climbing on, just cause. Shame im going to be leaving in a month.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I just saw a high school photo of myself. My abs were very defined. It looked like I was probably around 3-5% body fat. I'm about 30lbs heavier than I was back then.

My belly is currently looking very chubby. Maybe it's time to cut and focus on cardio.

It's just so freaking miserable not having a gym membership.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Are squats on a bosu ball a thing now? Because there's a guy at the gym I go to now that does a daily hour of bosu ball thrusters. It's a train wreck.

• the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I told someone they were going to hurt themselves if they kept deadlifting with a rounded lumbar spine.

Felt like a douchebag the entire time, even though I knew I was right.

edited July 2012
    adytum wrote: »
    Are squats on a bosu ball a thing now? Because there's a guy at the gym I go to now that does a daily hour of bosu ball thrusters. It's a train wreck.

My sister had a trainer at her company's gym that had her doing lunges on a bosu ball, probably not more than a few weeks after she started working out.

Fell over and tore her knee to shit. I wanna say it was just her ACL but I think it may have been everything? She had a very heavy duty brace on when I saw her.

My only question was why didn't she come to me considering I'd been working out for 6 years at that point.

Dead Legend on
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    First time in the gym for a good ten weeks. :facepalm: Dropped the weights right down and rather than doing a usual sessions selection of the lifts I do I did a bit of everything. Feel fine now but sure I'll be sore in the morning ;D

I've been cycling a lot recently though so my legs and lungs are pretty alright still.

Some of the time off was justified but some was just laziness/getting out of routine. Ho hum. Back on it now and can't change the not lifting.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Anyone want to crap all over critique the split I'm doing now?
    Week 1

Legs Day 1
    1 Deadlift x 5 x 5
    2 Front Squat x 8 x 5
    3 Straight Leg Deadlift x 5 x 5
    3 Shrug x 8 x 5
    4 Overhead Squat x 8 x 5
    4 Hangs x 10 x 5

Upper Body Day 1
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    1 Bent Over Barbell Row x 5 x 5
    2 Press x 5 x 5
    2 Pullup
    3 Dip x 8 x 5
    3 Barbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Forearm Curl x 8 x 5

Legs Day 2
    1 Front Squat x 5 x 5
    2 Glute-Ham Raise x 8 x 5
    2 Farmers Walk
    3 Overhead Squat x 8 x 5
    3 Hangs x 10 x 5

Upper Body Day 2
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    1 Dumbbell Row x 8 x 5
    2 Incline Dumbbell Bench x 8 x 5
    2 Dumbbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Press x 8 x 5
    3 Pullup

Week 2

Legs Day 3
    1 Squat x 5 x 5
    2 Front Squat x 8 x 5
    2 Hangs x 10
    3 Trap Bar Deadlift x 5 x 5

Upper Body Day 3
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    2 Press x 5 x 5
    2 Pullup
    3 Decline Pushup x 20
    3 Barbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Reverse Fly x 8 x 5

Legs Day 4
    1 Straight Leg Deadlift x 5 x 5
    1 Shrug x 8 x 5
    2 Farmers Walk
    3 Overhead Squat x 8 x 5
    3 Hangs x 10

Upper Body Day 4
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    1 T-Bar Lever Row x 8 x 5
    2 Dip x 8 x 5
    2 Pullup
    3 Dumbbell Press x 8 x 5
    3 Barbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Forearm Curl x 8 x 5

Slider wrote: »
    I just saw a high school photo of myself. My abs were very defined. It looked like I was probably around 3-5% body fat. I'm about 30lbs heavier than I was back then.

My belly is currently looking very chubby. Maybe it's time to cut and focus on cardio.

It's just so freaking miserable not having a gym membership.

Your over-estimating your bodyfat a little there. 3-5% is what a bodybuilder on stage would have.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    adytum wrote: »
    Anyone want to crap all over critique the split I'm doing now?
    Week 1

Legs Day 1
    1 Deadlift x 5 x 5
    2 Front Squat x 8 x 5
    3 Straight Leg Deadlift x 5 x 5
    3 Shrug x 8 x 5
    4 Overhead Squat x 8 x 5
    4 Hangs x 10 x 5

Upper Body Day 1
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    2 Press x 5 x 5
    2 Pullup
    3 Dip x 8 x 5
    3 Barbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Forearm Curl x 8 x 5

Legs Day 2
    1 Front Squat x 5 x 5
    2 Farmers Walk
    3 Overhead Squat x 8 x 5
    3 Hangs x 10 x 5

Upper Body Day 2
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    1 Dumbbell Row x 8 x 5
    2 Incline Dumbbell Bench x 8 x 5
    2 Dumbbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Press x 8 x 5
    3 Pullup

Week 2

Legs Day 3
    1 Squat x 5 x 5
    2 Front Squat x 8 x 5
    2 Hangs x 10
    3 Trap Bar Deadlift x 5 x 5

Upper Body Day 3
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    2 Press x 5 x 5
    2 Pullup
    3 Decline Pushup x 20
    3 Barbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Reverse Fly x 8 x 5

Legs Day 4
    1 Straight Leg Deadlift x 5 x 5
    1 Shrug x 8 x 5
    2 Farmers Walk
    3 Overhead Squat x 8 x 5
    3 Hangs x 10

Upper Body Day 4
    1 Bench x 5 x 5
    1 T-Bar Lever Row x 8 x 5
    2 Dip x 8 x 5
    2 Pullup
    3 Dumbbell Press x 8 x 5
    3 Barbell Curl x 8 x 5
    3 Forearm Curl x 8 x 5

Unless you're very strong already, I think you have way too much volume, especially on lower body days, to make any kind of strength progression. Because of the isolated stress on your lower back in a DL, 5x5 is rarely a good idea. What are you squatting, benching, and pulling?

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i kind of wanna do some kind of sprints of some kind, just like, because my cardio and lungs are terrible

and i'd love to run but i can't, so, HIIT on an exercise bike = good?

poo
    i kind of wanna do some kind of sprints of some kind, just like, because my cardio and lungs are terrible

and i'd love to run but i can't, so, HIIT on an exercise bike = good?

From what I've heard, very good

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Walking is also great, especially up hill and weighted walks

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i've been trying to walk a lot more regularly, but running at the moment is terrible

poo
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    I really need to read Bulletproof Knees as I've had it sitting for a bit. My knees aren't holding up lately with all the brazilian jiujitsu I've been doing, I'm starting to get concerned that there's an imbalance somewhere causing problems. What exercises have you all had luck with for fixing things up when your knees start to bother you? Also, what movements are best for externally rotated hips to try to free them up a bit?

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    I really need to read Bulletproof Knees as I've had it sitting for a bit. My knees aren't holding up lately with all the brazilian jiujitsu I've been doing, I'm starting to get concerned that there's an imbalance somewhere causing problems. What exercises have you all had luck with for fixing things up when your knees start to bother you? Also, what movements are best for externally rotated hips to try to free them up a bit?
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/02/episode-165-hip-external-rotation.html

How, specifically, do your knees hurt?

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

That is a great link.

Okay, so in high school, I was probably around 6-10% body fat. Right now, I'm more like that dude with the tiny pecker at 14 or 15%.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/02/episode-165-hip-external-rotation.html

How, specifically, do your knees hurt?

I wish I could say, it doesn't seem to be located in one spot. It just feels like pain deep in the joint near center, they both start aching pretty bad lately. Could definitely be related to getting heel hooked though I tap to those immediately and our guys put very very little pressure on them to avoid injuries, but it's been a steady problem for quite awhile and I don't think that's it. I've dealt with a number of injuries but this is a problem pretty evenly distributed to both knees it feels like.

I've had a pretty serious quad strain of my left leg that took a month or so to get back to decent, a sprain of what I *think* was the LCL in my left knee, landed on it throwing a 230 lb guy and had it pop, had an injury eval and they told me nothing was torn and I let it heal up and wore a brace, and a pretty severe sprain of my right achilles. Again, I don't think these are the cause, since it feels evenly distributed to both knees I'm guessing it's an imbalance of some sort, but I figure if I'm asking for advice I should present more information.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    Are you squatting? When I let my knees slide forward in the bottom of the squat it produces that same dull ache in my knees.

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I love lifting things! I think my high points of the day are always immediately after leaving the gym, which I just did.

But I'm still not fond of ab work! Also, I threw out those goals I set for myself in a the thread a while back, I'm just lifting for the fun of it before I go to basic training in August.

Today I did:
    Power-ish Clean 5 sets x 3 reps
    Push-up 3 x 30
    Dumbbell standing calf raise 3 x 10
    Arnold press 3 x 8
    Turkish get-up 2 x 6
    Reverse grip high cable curl 3 x failure (18-13)
    Sit-up 3 x 20
    Weighted Crunch 3 x 20 (8 lb medicine ball held at the top of my head)
    Throwing and catching the 15lb medicine ball, sinking into a deep squat after each catch and coming out of it for the throw 3 x 20 (~9-10 foot ceiling)

I feel like my modifications to my workout program have gotten a little out of hand (this started as a Starting Strength program that I tweaked a little at a time), and there's probably a better way to do things than alternating two full body workouts 3 days a week, but with just over a month before I ship out, there's not much point in shooting for a better organized, better scienced, long-term program.

I think once I'm done with BCT and AIT for the army, I'm going to look into like...sports-focused lifting programs? I don't know, some lifting program where the focus is to help you be more efficient at martial arts or something.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I've been getting a bit fat around the edges here lately, weights thread. Is it possible to improve my BMI by gradually increasing my lifting regimen, or do I really need to stick to a proper cutting cycle? I don't feel like I've gotten the gains I wanted during this bulking phase yet (I suffer a -6 roll to macaroni and cheese), but I don't want to be fat anymore. Either way I accept I need to not eat pasta stuffed with cheese twice a week.

• KelzorKelzor The Grey Man Registered User regular
    Hey weightlifting folks, I've got a question that I suppose belongs here since it involves the weights.

I have some pretty annoying fatigue issues that have been bothering me of late. In a typical day I like to go for a long run, practice some lacrosse and do weights and body weight exercises. This hasn't been a problem in the past because I started out with the long distance running so I had enough stamina to do all this, but as I'm raising the intensity across the board I just feel like I'm running out of energy. It feels like it just rushes out of my body and I have a lot of trouble carrying on with whatever I happen to be doing.

Now the answer I'm guessing is "Well don't do so much stuff, Kelzor." and that's a good answer, it's just not one I want to listen to. I already eat enough balanced meals and snacks so that I'm getting decent energy intake and I don't really want to do any performance enhancing drugs/synthetic supplements for various reasons.

Basically I'm looking for: A: Oh just add X to your diet and you'll have enough energy. Or B: Everyone has this, man up, get through it and don't worry about feeling tired.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    I've been getting a bit fat around the edges here lately, weights thread. Is it possible to improve my BMI by gradually increasing my lifting regimen, or do I really need to stick to a proper cutting cycle? I don't feel like I've gotten the gains I wanted during this bulking phase yet (I suffer a -6 roll to macaroni and cheese), but I don't want to be fat anymore. Either way I accept I need to not eat pasta stuffed with cheese twice a week.

Lifting more probably isn't going to improve your BMI. It will probably reduce your body fat and it sounds like that's what you want. Do clean up your diet though, tons of pasta isn't going to take any weight off you.

caffeine?

sorry kelzor that's a pretty busy schedule and i lack the expertise to identify what it is that would help you since you basically say no supps and you don't wanna cut shit out

• BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Of all the ways I could have screwed up my ankle it wasn't the hockey or the BJJ, but the fucking social sports kickball that does it for me. Ugh, I want to go lift heavy things, but I can't even walk to to gym, let alone put lots of weight on it.

So upper body super vanity pump week, anybody got some suggestions or wild and crazy to throw in there? I was thinking curls, flys, pullups, and a rows so anything new is welcome to suggestion.

Arnold press?

This discussion has been closed.