As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    The Toyobaru is not gonna be a red-light monster. It's more of a finesse car. It's not worried about silly 0-60.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Which is great if you have curvy roads where you live. Sadly, the only real "curve" in any road down here is an on-ramp. And that's mostly northbound on-ramps. Southbond, they are just launching pads for me. Other than that, I can take the curve on Ataltic Blvd, at 80 in a SRA Mustang. As in, it's not very curvy, lol.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    double post.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited June 2012
    Beltaine wrote: »
    The Toyobaru is not gonna be a red-light monster. It's more of a finesse car. It's not worried about silly 0-60.

Even on a curve heavy course like autoX I would still guess that a WRX would win.

Edit: I dunno maybe not the FR-S does .93g on the skid pad with a weight to power ratio of 13.7 and the WRX does .85g with a weight to power ratio of 12.1
    For reference the miata does .90g and the FR-S isn't quite as anemic in the power department.

CommunistCow on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I really wouldn't put the FR-S/BRZ in the same range as the Evo or the STi. It might compete with the WRX performance wise, but I doubt it. I suggested the WRX just because it is about the same price point.

I dunno if I'd call 26 and 34 the same price point.

I can't wait to see what kinds of mods will be available for the FR-S/BRZ. I imagine most of the bolt-on kit manufacturers for WRXs could start producing bolt-on kits for the FR-S/BRZ pretty quick. All it should take is possibly re-tooling some of their machining processes.

I betcha they'd be even more fun with a supercharger bolted on.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    The FRS/BRZ has been nothing but a disappointment to me. I thought it would be a spiritual competitor to the S2000 or RX8, but instead it's just a Miata with a hard top. Good track day car, terrible daily driver. There are better overall cars in the same price range.

edited June 2012
    I really wouldn't put the FR-S/BRZ in the same range as the Evo or the STi. It might compete with the WRX performance wise, but I doubt it. I suggested the WRX just because it is about the same price point.

I can't wait to see what kinds of mods will be available for the FR-S/BRZ. I imagine most of the bolt-on kit manufacturers for WRXs could start producing bolt-on kits for the FR-S/BRZ pretty quick. All it should take is possibly re-tooling some of their machining processes.

Um, the WRX is sold for around 26. WRX != WRX STi
    The STi / EVO are in the 34 range. The FR-S/BRZ is 25.

All those numbers I posted up there were for the 265 hp WRX not the 305 hp WRX STi.

CommunistCow on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Well I picked up my new car yesterday, and I couldn't be happier!

2012 VW Golf R

I drove a 2007 GTI for about 4 1/2 years and absolutely loved it, and the Golf R is everything that one was, taken to the next level. More power, AWD, MUCH nicer interior... it's just a better car all around. Plus, VW is currently offering 0% financing for up to 66 months on all gas-engine 2012 models (so no diesels), so I've got a relatively low payment with no interest!

It's my first car with a manual transmission, and driving home was a bit of an adventure. I was doing great until I actually got into traffic... I stalled at a light with a big ol' pickup truck right behind me :oops: But this morning on my drive to work I didn't stall once, on hilly roads in traffic :rotate:

This car is absolutely amazing, and everything I want and need out of a vehicle.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »

2012 VW Golf R

I drove a 2007 GTI for about 4 1/2 years and absolutely loved it, and the Golf R is everything that one was, taken to the next level. More power, AWD, MUCH nicer interior... it's just a better car all around. Plus, VW is currently offering 0% financing for up to 66 months on all gas-engine 2012 models (so no diesels), so I've got a relatively low payment with no interest!

It's my first car with a manual transmission, and driving home was a bit of an adventure. I was doing great until I actually got into traffic... I stalled at a light with a big ol' pickup truck right behind me :oops: But this morning on my drive to work I didn't stall once, on hilly roads in traffic :rotate:

This car is absolutely amazing, and everything I want and need out of a vehicle.

Nice! I have a 2011 Golf TDI and it's a wonderful car. There were some Rs on the lot when I went looking, and that's a super nice car. 55+ MPG is hard to pass up though, specially with a 50 mile commute :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Pour one out for the death of the R32 badge and its VR6 with DSG.

nibXTE7.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Count me as super jealous. :D

So is the Golf R just a new name for the R32?

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Same idea, different engine. The R32 was named for the engine, a 3.2l VR6. The new Golf R just uses a higher power version of the 2.0l TSI.

edited June 2012
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Same idea, different engine. The R32 was named for the engine, a 3.2l VR6. The new Golf R just uses a higher power version of the 2.0l TSI.
    Yup, exactly this. I do kinda wish they called it the GTI-R instead of the Golf R though.

And man, after driving it around today, it just feels good. Solid, composed, fast, comfortable... by far the best car I've ever owned!

Edit to reply more:
    Knight_ wrote: »
    jimb213 wrote: »

2012 VW Golf R

Nice! I have a 2011 Golf TDI and it's a wonderful car. There were some Rs on the lot when I went looking, and that's a super nice car. 55+ MPG is hard to pass up though, specially with a 50 mile commute :p
    Wow, that's a commute! Yeah, so far I haven't seen very good mileage on my car (but at least I only live 10 or so miles from work). I'm sure it'll improve as the engine breaks in and I stop giving it lots of gas everywhere. And I really, really like the styling, cosmetic, and comfort updates between my old 2007 Mk. V and the current Mk. VI. The 2010 and newer Golfs are just awesome.
    Pour one out for the death of the R32 badge and its VR6 with DSG.

Yeah, it would be cool to have the exhaust note of the old R32's. Those cars just sounded great. But with a smaller & lighter engine up front, the new R is a lot more balanced. And as great as the DSG is (I had it on my GTI), I'm really glad the Golf R is a manual. It's just so much more engaging and fun to drive. The Golf R would most likely be faster with the DSG, but even manual mode just isn't as fun as rowing through the gears.

jimb213 on
    I'm guessing they scarified a lot of torque and added a lot of turbo lag in that exchange, but a lower weight engine has to be nice.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Plugs, coil packs and valve cover gasket replaced, and the GTI's just like new again.

nibXTE7.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing they scarified a lot of torque and added a lot of turbo lag in that exchange, but a lower weight engine has to be nice.

Turbo lag these days is pretty much nonexistent, especially in a small turbo application like the VW 4cyl. cars. My old 1.8t was making full boost by about 2200rpms.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.

There's definitely a kick in the pants in the 3000 and up rpm range. In first, letting out the clutch around 2000 rpm gives you a nice surge as the engine revs up. But if you rev above 3000 before engaging the clutch, the car takes off like a rocket.

Saw a Gallardo Spyder on the highway this morning in rush hour traffic. The most amazing thing about that car is just how it stands out amongst all the shitty sedans and suvs. You look through the sea of traffic at all the greys and blacks and whites and then....a red Gallardo just lumped in the center of it all. Makes you appreciate cars like that a lot more.

edited July 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Turbo lag these days is pretty much nonexistent, especially in a small turbo application like the VW 4cyl. cars. My old 1.8t was making full boost by about 2200rpms.

I figured out why I was so confused. For some reason I thought the R32 was competing with the STi and Evo and thus I thought it was producing ~300hp. I didn't realize it was only putting out ~250hp. That makes more sense because you could definitely get away with a small engine and small turbo getting that output. Getting to 300hp would be friken impossible with a small turbo that has no lag. You need at least ~22psi on a 2.0L to reach that output and those small low boost turbos max out around 15psi or so before having heat issues and the like.

CommunistCow on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular

Um, the WRX is sold for around 26. WRX != WRX STi
    The STi / EVO are in the 34 range. The FR-S/BRZ is 25.

All those numbers I posted up there were for the 265 hp WRX not the 305 hp WRX STi.

My bad. Here in Canada the WRX starts at 34, the WRX STi starts at 41. The BRZ still starts at 26 here. I stand by my statement.

Your country is silly and you should feel bad.

edited July 2012
    it is silly and I feel bad.

for some models of cars it'd be cheaper to fly around the world, spend each day of a week in a different international city, finally land in any state, buy a car there, and drive it back home.

Whenever asked about it the manufacturers usually say something like "Well, it costs money to get the cars to Canada. . . something something different design thingers for Canadian safety standards or something, and. . . well. . . uhh. . . LOOK OVER THERE!" It's especially funny if it's a model of car that is built in fucking Canada but still costs $5k+ more than the same car sold 80 miles south of here. . .

EVOs also have a $10k Canadatax.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    it is silly and I feel bad.

for some models of cars it'd be cheaper to fly around the world, spend each day of a week in a different international city, finally land in any state, buy a car there, and drive it back home.

Sucks that you are in the land of Ice and Snow, and terrible import laws, or I would tell you to do just that. Most fun I have had is flying out and driving back to San Diego. You guys do have decent import rules though, I would love to my hands on some of the cars you guys can get from overseas with the right paperwork. MMMM RS200.

I got my last viper in Michigan, my Prowler as well. My SSR came from Utah and they were all fun trips back to California. Have gotten gotten stranded a few times as well, a specific 308 and a fire in the electrical system come to mind.

Cheaper then shipping in most cases as I use enclosed transport. Only when the cars start getting into the to old to drive safely do I hope in the truck and grab a trailer. 28 hours round trip to get another Model A was the latest travel and drop dead the worst trip yet, sleeping in a single cab truck in a rest stop is terrible. Should have just slept in the bed but I was sure I would have been murdered.

stormbringer on
    A while ago I saw this guy in the states on ebay selling his flawless bodied datsun 240z (no engine) for $1500, and he also happened to be selling a fully loaded mid-2000s Ford Excursion for like $8500. Had I the faculties to work on a car (mainly a garage and/or my own place) I would have very strongly considered buying both, flying down to pick it up, buying a flatbed trailer or something for the 240z, then driving the whole bundle back home, then selling the Excursion for as close to what I paid for it as possible (after using it for hauling parts or whatever needed to get everything ready for the build)

that would have been an epic adventure. Also would have probably been rife with all kinds of headaches and setbacks your idealized vision of how it would all go down never even began to consider.

Passed this today, heading south through Chicago.

KLRlQ.jpg

Kind of curious where they were coming from.

nibXTE7.png
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Heading home/somewhere else from Road America?

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Skip Barber Racing School. Road America is one of the tracks they use.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited July 2012
    Skip Barber Racing School. Road America is one of the tracks they use.

This. Skip Barber's school is known for using tuned Miatas and if you look really closely you can see it says "Skip Barber" on the rectangular thing on the door (below the black and red lines).

I've always wanted to do one of their race schools but I could never really imagine coughing up the $3,500-4,000 for one of the 2-3 day classes. I think their formula race school would be super fun but I bet the Mazdaspeed Miata version would be a little bit more applicable to any racing I would do in the future.

CommunistCow on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

10 minutes of ridiculous driving. Especially at 3:39. And 5:39.

nibXTE7.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Dare I say, best one yet. But then, Im a huge sucker for city shit.

edited July 2012
    I'm probably alone in this but is anyone else kind of tired of watching Ken Block do very controlled donuts around various objects? I understand that it is difficult and all but half of these videos he has made are just the same move over and over just replacing the object that he is spinning around.

Now doing that jump sideways at the 5:39 mark, that was friken impressive and I can't say I've seen that before.

Edit: Maybe I should ignore this trick driving stuff and just watch some WRC.

CommunistCow on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I'm probably alone in this but is anyone else kind of tired of watching Ken Block do very controlled donuts around various objects? I understand that it is difficult and all but half of these videos he has made are just the same move over and over just replacing the object that he is spinning around.

Now doing that jump sideways at the 5:39 mark, that was friken impressive and I can't say I've seen that before.

I think you are right.

Also, that sideways jump at 5:50 when they go all slo-mo with it. OMG... so awesome.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I agree with this 1000%. Still watch the videos though, since there are bits that are still great like that sideways jump. I could go the rest of my life without seeing ken block do donuts around stuff.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Something that I really appreciated about the newest video was that there wasn't any music only engine, mechanical, and tires squealing. I cant remember if the other videos were also music free during the actual driving portions, but it's was nice not to hear more awful dub step for a change. Yeah, apart from a few parts nothing new but I still had a smile on my face the entire time I watched it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I guess if we're going to pick at it, I don't like that it's 4 minutes of actual driving, but 2 minutes of pre-driving shit, 2.5 minutes of post-driving shit, and 2 minutes of the same scene over and over in various angles and speeds.

Though I was amused that the hood buckled each time he jumped and hit the ground.

edited July 2012
    Though I was amused that the hood buckled each time he jumped and hit the ground.

I kind of wonder if they had to do repairs or swap cars out after that. Jumps usually destroy most cars, but then again that isn't "most cars."
    I remember while watching the Gone in 60 Seconds special features they friken totaled the car doing the jump scene at the end. And every single car from Dukes of Hazzard was unusable after a single jump.

CommunistCow on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I would have presumed that the front end bodywork is all one-piece glassfibre or carbon, similar to the way top-end rallycross cars are built, but I can't find any decent writeups of the car's construction. Even just going by Olsberg's website though, there is a lot of extra metal in the chassis of the car.

The best part of that video is when he's doing donuts between the two trolley cars. When he slides between them perfectly, it's pretty amazing to watch.

Although I did like seeing the traffic in the background basically going "The fuck is this shit? Why can't I get to work like I normally do?!"