As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whisky Tasting full, waiting on seeing how big the terrace is, will PM reservees if space.

LewieP's DaddyLewieP's Daddy Registered User new member
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Me and LewieP's Mummy are thinking about hosting a Whiskey Tasting on the Wednesday before PAX, in the evening on the rooftop terrace of our apartment complex.

Here's the deal:
Over 21s only - ID will be needed
Bring a half bottle of single malt with you to share with everyone else - you won't get in without waving a bottle at us!
Bring some snacks with you that go with your whiskey
We will provide some food as well as some whiskey
We will provide tasting cups (little plastic slightly bigger than a thimble cups)
Numbers - 15 people only, cos the roof top terrace isn't *that* big!
We'll PM people our address if there are enough interested in drinking some yummy whiskey with us!

Here's who we think are coming, PM me if I've missed you off somehow!

LewieP's Daddy
LewieP's Mummy
redhalo
Saldek
LexiconGrrl
JobiWanKenobi
VanVagabond +1
TOGSolid
vespachica +1
Serenity
vgc
BigRed (even though you don't like whisky, you're very lovely and very welcome!)
shadowscout

Possibles include:
Coldbrew maybe (fingers crossed)
tsrblke but unlikely ( :( )

Reserves:
Agent00
KellyShepard087
QuickSnap

Moe Fwacky on

• BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Would that be before, during or after the Pre Pax dinner?
    Reading fail on my end. Seeing as we have to work all day on Thursday we will have to pass.

BombClancy on
    what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Pre-PAX Dinner is on Thursday, this is Wednesday.

I'm interested, but I don't yet know if I'll be around Seattle that night.

NSw0gum.png
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Single Malt, eh? You know, we have a local micro-distillery that makes an "American Malt Whiskey" would that count? (Although I'm highly unsure I'd actually be able to make it anyway. Maybe I'll just hand over half a bottle (or less) for fun.)

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    I'd be very much interested in bringing some Balvenie.

• SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I would love to join you for some whiskey tasting. I like this, 'show ID and booze for admittance'. :)

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    redhalo: I love you!!! Saldek: all the best events require booze as an entry fee! Tsrbike: American whiskey? Shows my lack of knowledge, hope you can make it:)

It definitely doesn't clash with anything else - that's why we picked Wednesday, we're both going to PPD and maybe TWDT, depending on how tired I am.

Looking forward to this!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    heh being Scottish I clearly have to be interested in this :P

but I'm not sure yet what I'm doing that day, all depends how early I get in and how tired I am by the evening I guess

For those from the UK going directly to the US you can import upto 1 litre of spirits into the US when you fly over so worth checking out the duty free shops in the airport when waiting on your flight ;)

as I'm going via canada to visit family etc so not sure what the rules are for that

• VanVagabondVanVagabond NorthWestern BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Screw you, from the bottom of my liver. I love whiskey. And we're going to be in for Wednesday night. Just shot a message off to my partner to see if he can disuade me from running my first PAX on such hard difficulty with this, the Triwizard, Post Pax Party, and Schlitzkreig all on the itinerary. He is not exactly the best person to rely on for sober second thought.

Tsrb{L}ke {FTFY}: American whiskey? Shows my lack of knowledge, hope you can make it:)
    {Much Snippage here}

Microdistilling it's a thing (and at about $40-50 a bottle of JJ Neukomm runs more than many other types around here: http://www.squareonebrewery.com/spirits-of-st-louis )

But put me down for "unlikely" We'll be flying in Wednesday (arriving at the airport at 4:30AM our time, 2:30AM seattle time) and getting in around 10-11 Seattle time, so we're going to be just tuckered out (and likely wanting to have a lazy day downtown.) I'd imagine my wife is going to want to not go out that night.
    If I have a bottle of Neukomm around my house at that time, maybe I'll send part of it along with someone else though (also put that down as unlikely given the cost I buy maybe 1 bottle a year). I like it chilled on stones with just a drop of water. ;)

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    This is suchagoodidea. Can you put JobiWanKenobi and I down for 2 seats? We'll cancel with plenty of time to give someone else our seats if things get too hectic on Wednesday. I'd like to tip my hat to @VanVagabond who expressed perfectly the level of difficulty of this PAX.

Just if anyone's interested, there's a boom in microdistilleries around Seattle (just like microbreweries - we do love our booze out here) in case anybody is interested in trying some local Seattle whiskeys...

http://www.seattlemet.com/eat-and-drink/articles/craft-distilleries-guide-december-2011/

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • VanVagabondVanVagabond NorthWestern BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aye, that's two of us who will be down for this, then. I'm not sure about the laws regarding smuggling booze across the border, so I'll have to look it up at some point. Otherwise, LexiconGrrl is brilliant, and picking up something from a local microdistillery for a try would be an awesome alternative if easier!
    I'm already developing a Dwarven character who has been cursed by his god to constantly feel hung over, so that I can sit on my arse in the tabletop freeplay area and method role play.

Oh, this is going to be fun! LPD is painting a bathroom right now, else he'd be posting here, too. I like Laphraiog, but don't know anyone else who does, so I might bring some in the hope of converting you all, but I also like Jura, so I might bring some of that as well.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Saldek wrote: »
    I would love to join you for some whiskey tasting. I like this, 'show ID and booze for admittance'. :)

Since I'm coming in on Wednesday, I guess that means I'm coming along too! Yay more liver destruction!

@LewieP's Mummy Jura! I haven't tried that one yet and they don't have it up here. Laphraiog is definitely a super acquired taste. I have a bottle kinda collecting dust in my booze buffet cabinet. >.>

I dunno what I'll bring. Alaska doesn't exactly have obscure stuff available and I'm pretty sure everyone here has already tried The Macallan (my current favorite). Maybe Glenmorangie (current second favorite)?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    @TOGSolid I like both of them! I think I just like whiskey generally!

edited July 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I dunno what I'll bring. Alaska doesn't exactly have obscure stuff available and I'm pretty sure everyone here has already tried The Macallan (my current favorite). Maybe Glenmorangie (current second favorite)?

http://www.alaskadistillery.com/

EDIT: If you haven't tried their Smoked Salmon Vodka... Don't.

LexiconGrrl on
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If it's OK could I come and bring a +1? Then would we bring one half bottle or one whole bottle (or two half bottles)?

ETA: we'd totally be bringing scotch, not whiskey. ;) (The bf loves his proper scotch!)

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

edited July 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

http://www.alaskadistillery.com/

Yeah...I've tried it (someone else's bottle) and uh..I guess a nice thing to say about it is that it's exactly what it says on the tin. That's about the best I can muster up for a compliment though. I guess it's funny to buy if you're a tourist? Or something? I might bring a bottle of Macallan as a safety backup and then an unopened bottle of that company's only whiskey as a mystery bottle that we can all experience for better or worse at the same time.

EDIT: Or @Saldek will bring it. Whatever works, lol.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited July 2012

Agreed. It's almost tolerable in a Bloody Mary, but even the the smoked salmon flavor is very... smoked salmon-y. The other flavored vodkas Alaska Distillery do are much better.
    I'm picking up a bottle of their Outlaw Whiskey when I get off the ship to see if it's any good. If it is, I'll try bring some of that. Otherwise, I'll just pick something up when I get to Seattle on Monday, as I'm traveling to Missouri first. (And any booze I take along with me there probably won't survive all the way to Seattle.)

Saldek on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yes yes and yes... I'll be bringing some Canadian Whiskey of some kind.
    Edit: Hmmmm how well would cheese curds go with this?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I'd love to! What time is it? If it's during the day, I can't due to work.

edited July 2012
    I'm lame and can't come up with any food that a) pairs well with scotch and b) doesn't require cooking and can easily be transported on a flight from Florida. Any ideas? If not I may have to throw in the other half of my bottle (which was included anyways) as compensation.

edit: Nevermind, I think I found something. How do we feel about dark chocolate dipped appricots and mangos?

redhalo on
    Preorder and pick something up in Seattle. There are a wealth of restaurants in the area.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I hate whiskey (even though I'm all Scottish, yeah I know) but might come by to say hi for a short while if people will have me... and do some button trades. Depends how setup goes.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    redhalo wrote: »
    I'm lame and can't come up with any food that a) pairs well with scotch and b) doesn't require cooking and can easily be transported on a flight from Florida. Any ideas? If not I may have to throw in the other half of my bottle (which was included anyways) as compensation.

edit: Nevermind, I think I found something. How do we feel about dark chocolate dipped appricots and mangos?

I feel very good about it; it's hard to go wrong with dark chocolate. I may need to go test this combo out right now.

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    I hate whiskey (even though I'm all Scottish, yeah I know).

That's because real Scottish people like Whisky - without the e :D

I have also found in the past tho that some people don't like whisky until they find the 'right' one as it were

as it is looking more and more likely that I am definitely getting into Seattle early on the Wednesday I'm in for this if there is still space

I have also found in the past tho that some people don't like whisky until they find the 'right' one as it were
    Yup. There are so many different flavors and types of hoowhiiiskee that there's literally something for everyone, the problem is just getting steered in the right direction.

wWuzwvJ.png
    I'm going to do a count-up quickly now and work out how many people are interested.

OK, by my count, that's 15 definites, I guess we're full!

Here's who I think is coming:

LewieP's Daddy
    LewieP's Mummy
    redhalo
    Saldek
    LexiconGrrl
    JobiWanKenobi
    VanVagabond +1
    TOGSolid
    vespachia +1
    Serenity
    vgc
    BigRed (even though you don't like whiskey, you're very lovely and very welcome!)
    shadowscout

Possibles include:
    Coldbrew maybe (fingers crossed)
    tsrblke but unlikely

I'll put a note in the OP saying we're full. I bought the glasses today - they're plastic shot glasses (I know, but I'm not bringing crystal whisky glasses on a plane!), I bought 160 - enough for a clean one for 10 different whiskeys, maybe I'll buy some more before we fly out.

Looking forward to this, it'll be the first PAX event I've ever hosted!!

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You could always buy some in seattle yanno :P

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Agent00Agent00 Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    If someone drops out, or if you find room for one more, I'd love to join with some Bourbon. I'm alone until Thursday, so this would be awesome.

I'll keep that in mind, Agent00!

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    OMG So excited! Thanks for hosting, @LewieP'sMummy!!! <3 Also, finally a nerd event my nerd (but not much into gaming except a few games) bf can join in on. :D

ufq9gj8383nh.png

Agent00 wrote: »
    If someone drops out, or if you find room for one more, I'd love to join with some Bourbon. I'm alone until Thursday, so this would be awesome.

We're in town on Wednesday (staying at the Hyatt) and @Cybit (Midwesterner-turned Seattle) usually picks up stragglers anyway, so if you're bored (and this private party being full) I'm sure we can work something out (I just don't think the wife was up for anything structured on that day.)

Umm sorry if I missed this important detail, but where is your apartment exactly? Hopefully it's within walking distance from downtown...

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Serenity wrote: »
    Umm sorry if I missed this important detail, but where is your apartment exactly? Hopefully it's within walking distance from downtown...

I would guess that they would PM that info so that they're not putting an address for a full party on the internets :P

Oh yes, we'd thought about that! We will be arriving in Seattle the Saturday before PAX and checking stuff out. We'll be PM-ing people our address then, don't worry!

zerzhul wrote: »

I would guess that they would PM that info so that they're not putting an address for a full party on the internets :P

And thankfully this is before pax so someone doesn't go around holding up a sign with a room number again.

redhalo wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

And thankfully this is before pax so someone doesn't go around holding up a sign with a room number again.

Aha, yes that would make sense. Zerzhul, you're pretty good at making me look like an idiot on the forums here... :-P

@redhalo, is that what happened last year?

Also to my previous post, how do people feel about Canadian cheddar cheese curds? I dunno, is that an appropriate food to bring? I'm thinking fingery food...

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited July 2012
    Canadian cheddar cheese curds
    SQUEEKY CHEESE! <3

I have no real idea what to bring either. I am not exactly a food sorta guy. My fridge tends to be dominated mostly by blocks of the sharpest cheddar I can get my hands on and various forms of meat. Also apples and grapefruit juice (to ward off scurvy).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I've heard about Canadian cheese curds but never eaten them, so go for it @Serenity and @TOGSolid the sharper the cheddar the better! If I can find some I'll be bringing a vanilla bean ice cream - it really works, if not I'll make some. And chocolate. Chocolate goes with everything, even Guinness.

Wewt, that makes my food supply issues easier!

Also, Guinness floats are pretty fantastic.

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.