As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    That's a lot of exercise balls.

edited July 2012
    I find dips, curls/chins, dumbbell rows all get my upper body and arms fairly pumped, when done around 8+ rep range (where possible). Rope extensions also get the triceps a little pumped.

edit: and of course higher rep dumbbell bench/shoulder presses.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i woke up yesterday with a stuffy nose but felt totally normal so didnt think anything of it so i went to the gym

so i guess its good that i got it in in the morning because by 1pm i started feeling like death

i hope i didn't get anyone else sick :(

poo
  • twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Paleo diet?

I'd been dropping body fat and ramping up weights for the past five months. For the past three, I've been doing 5/3/1 BBB and have seen steady progress.

Problem is, around two and a half months ago my physique hit the static wall. I take weekly pictures and measurements, and for eight weeks now there has been very little progress, even though my weights and reps have increased through 5/3/1.

I thought I'd give the Paleo a go for 30 days, and see if it has any effect on how tired I constantly am, and especially how doughy I still look around the middle.

So, if anyone has any experience or advice, I'd love to hear it. Specifically, I can't seem to find anything that talks about a post-workout whey shake. I mean, it's definitely not natural, so it seems like it would be excluded if you're sticking hard and fast to the dietary guidelines, but I'm not sure if there are exceptions due to intense workout regimens.

Any help appreciated.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    What's your diet like now?

Peen wrote: »

Pretty clean, really. I can try to post the MyFitnessPal logs, if you'd like.

Breakfast (0830): Trader Joe's Nonfat Greek Yogurt (1 serving), Banana (1), coffee (black, 6 ounces)
    Post Workout (1130-1200): ON Natural Whey (2 servings) in water
    Lunch (1230-1300): Spinach or Mixed Greens (3 servings), grilled chicken breast (8-10 ounces), carrots (1 serving), grape tomatoes (1 serving), celery (.5 servings), red wine vinegar (1 tablespoon), coffee (black, 8 ounces)
    Snack (1630-1700): Trader Joe's non-sorbate prunes (5 pieces, one serving), dry roasted almonds (20 pieces, 1.5 servings)
    Dinner (1900-1930): Grass fed beef (6 ounces) or organic chicken breast (8 ounces), steamed veggies of some kind, side salad.
    Pre-bed (2200): ON Casein (1.3 servings), Trader Joe's 1% Organic Milk (12 ounces)

Which as I look it, doesn't look bad at all, really. Maybe I just need to cheat less. Fewer sandwiches when work pulls me out of the office for lunch, and not snacking when I get home, maybe?

Or are my portions all off, and that's the issue?

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Paleo recommends you do a month strict (this even means no tree fruit) to get accustomed to the diet, and after that period you have room to play with it. But that's just based on the one book I've read.

To be honest, I'd just tighten up your current diet, and let your training do its thing. Once you stall, reasses. But why mess with getting stronger and putting on mass?

I'm not any kind of diet guy but at first glance it seems like if you're in a bulking/mass adding phase (which I'm assuming from your doing BBB) that you could stand to be eating more. Like a bunch more.

You could give Paleo a shot but it's a pretty extreme diet so you'd need to be sure that you want to go that far before you try it and hate it and then get down on yourself.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    That's all pretty clean but that's not nearly enough protein, I agree with Peen on that.

I sort of gradually went towards a paleo-ish diet, little by little I've just moved that way as I've tried to clean things up.

Though I still eat whatever on my cheat days. I love you dunkin donuts.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
    Guys, i'm super motivated! In just a little over a month, i've noticed some super physical results! My upper shoulders and chest are a little more defined, and my stomach is more shaped, than bulged! My body weight has gone from 76kg early June, to 72.8kg this morning! I'm sure most of my physical change is due mostly to my excess fat loss, than muscle growth - but its really motivating!

Good work and keep it up.

And remember to keep pushing when things slow down or start to get tough. It's easy to feel motivated when things are going well, but also easy to get down on yourself when things aren't going so well.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I have the weakest back.
    Fuck you back.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Get to rowing and pulling then. Get the biggest back.

Breakfast (0830): Trader Joe's Nonfat Greek Yogurt (1 serving), Banana (1), coffee (black, 6 ounces)
    Lunch (1230-1300): Spinach or Mixed Greens (3 servings), grilled chicken breast (8-10 ounces), carrots (1 serving), grape tomatoes (1 serving), celery (.5 servings), red wine vinegar (1 tablespoon), coffee (black, 8 ounces)
    Snack (1630-1700): Trader Joe's non-sorbate prunes (5 pieces, one serving), dry roasted almonds (20 pieces, 1.5 servings)
    Dinner (1900-1930): Grass fed beef (6 ounces) or organic chicken breast (8 ounces), steamed veggies of some kind, side salad.
    Pre-bed (2200): ON Casein (1.3 servings), Trader Joe's 1% Organic Milk (12 ounces)

Which as I look it, doesn't look bad at all, really. Maybe I just need to cheat less. Fewer sandwiches when work pulls me out of the office for lunch, and not snacking when I get home, maybe?

I agree with Peen, you aren't eating enough to grow. And to continue being successful with BBB, you need to grow. What do your numbers look like?

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Today we needed to tilt a machine forward to fix it to the back of a tractor. The two lads trying were huffing and puffing, without getting the required height. Once they stopped, I stepped in and popped it straight up in a deadlift. Felt good, especially since I know I couldn't have done it a few months ago.

*Not saying I'm massive stronger than them or nowt, just that I'm used to lifting now and my techniques pretty good.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular

Other than the occasional glass of wine, a bit of cheese/yogurt (both of these I'm trying to cut out completely by the end of summer), and my post-lifting protein shake, I eat a Primal/Paleo-style diet. I actually gained weight when I started eating this way, but lost inches on my measurements. My husband has lost around 40 lbs in the past year and continues to get leaner (for him, this is with minimal exercise). We both have crazy energy compared with before, and generally feel fantastic. So, I'd definitely recommend it.

Oh and in case anyone is curious, drinking a pint of heavy cream gets you high as balls. Scaled my house after walking back from the gym (volume day), broke in, and chugged a pint in 15 seconds in celebration. Knocked me right out. Woke up and ate a pound of beef. I love volume day guys.

Methuselah wrote: »

I agree with Peen, you aren't eating enough to grow. And to continue being successful with BBB, you need to grow. What do your numbers look like?

Fair enough. I had kind of figured that my portions were off, but it can be difficult to tell in which direction sometimes. I generally stop eating when I'm full now, so maybe I'll try to get some more snacks during the day. I typically consume about 200 grams of protein, but only about 2100 calories. I know these questions begin to get into the weeds, but which am I trying to increase? Caloric volume or protein volume? They're related, sure, but I think I could get say 50 more grams of protein with only about 250 calories. Or should I be upping calories without regard to the macro nutrients?

My numbers aren't spectacular; it's one of the reasons I went with BBB instead of the Triumvirate or the body-weight option (which I would have preferred mechanically, I think).

exercise - training max (90% 1rm)
    DL - 275
    Squat - 230
    Bench - 180
    OHP - 135

5'7", 164lbs.

I think you have weight to gain. If I were you, I would up calories and protein. You'll look better at 185 and 14% BF than 170 and 10% BF, but that's just my take on the whole aesthetics thing.

Whoof. Yeah up those calories son, you need mas mass.

I think you have weight to gain. If I were you, I would up calories and protein. You'll look better at 185 and 14% BF than 170 and 10% BF, but that's just my take on the whole aesthetics thing.

I would happily take either of those.

I've been stalled at about 17% for two months now. I guess I was hoping that I could gain muscle, shed the excess bf, and continue to up weights. I know it's a tall order, but that's why I was looking into a specific diet. If the real world experience aggregated here says it's something of a pipe dream, no worries - I wasn't going to change my lifting regardless, and I'll try to up my food intake.

Another vote for eat more; I would be constantly hungry if I ate like that. You might also try dropping the yogurt, milk, and almonds - I've read a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests nuts and dairy make it difficult for some folks to shed the last few % of body fat.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular

Make room in your budget for lots of Ex Lax

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    I guess I was hoping that I could gain muscle, shed the excess bf, and continue to up weights. I know it's a tall order, but that's why I was looking into a specific diet. If the real world experience aggregated here says it's something of a pipe dream, no worries - I wasn't going to change my lifting regardless, and I'll try to up my food intake.

If you want to do those three things simultaneously, I don't think it works that way. Again, someone who knows more than me can come and say I'm an idiot and I'll happily accept that but my understanding is that putting on muscle also comes with some fat and the way to get it started is to eat like a horse and lift as big as you can while you do it.

Make room in your budget for lots of Ex Lax

People doing paleo right get a TON of fiber to offset the "50% of your diet is lean protein" aspect.

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    164 lbs at 5'7" is a pretty good size.

Eat less if you want to be less fat. Eat more if you want to gain weight. You've been eating at maintenance these past 8 weeks or so.

Paleo could give you more energy if you are already getting enough sleep.

Buddies wrote: »

Guess it depends who you're talking to. I'm 180 at 5'6" and I feel small.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I guess I was hoping that I could gain muscle, shed the excess bf, and continue to up weights. I know it's a tall order, but that's why I was looking into a specific diet. If the real world experience aggregated here says it's something of a pipe dream, no worries - I wasn't going to change my lifting regardless, and I'll try to up my food intake.

If you want to do those three things simultaneously, I don't think it works that way. Again, someone who knows more than me can come and say I'm an idiot and I'll happily accept that but my understanding is that putting on muscle also comes with some fat and the way to get it started is to eat like a horse and lift as big as you can while you do it.
    I don't see why strict paleo wouldn't fit into lean gains, it seems like it'd fit pretty much perfectly, and should give him the muscle/strength gains without the added fat.

http://www.leangains.com/

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular

Haha, 226 (103kg) at 5'8" checking in. Feeling small is not a problem for me. My weight gain goals are going well. After weighing in at the April comp at 212 (96kg), I have made a serious effort to eat everything in sight. Limit for the weight class in August is 231 (105kg) and I intend to be as close to that as possible.

I would happily take either of those.

I've been stalled at about 17% for two months now. I guess I was hoping that I could gain muscle, shed the excess bf, and continue to up weights. I know it's a tall order, but that's why I was looking into a specific diet. If the real world experience aggregated here says it's something of a pipe dream, no worries - I wasn't going to change my lifting regardless, and I'll try to up my food intake.

I'd check out Lean Gains, keeping in mind that you have to be extremely strict with your food intake (I attempted it at one point, but found myself hating the low fat days).

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Haha, 226 (103kg) at 5'8" checking in. Feeling small is not a problem for me. My weight gain goals are going well. After weighing in at the April comp at 212 (96kg), I have made a serious effort to eat everything in sight. Limit for the weight class in August is 231 (105kg) and I intend to be as close to that as possible.

Well, it depends on your goals I'd imagine?

I don't think I could stay competitive on the wing in rugby if I was 103kg (same height).

Whats your aim, @twotimesadingo?

CaptainBeyond on

Good man. Now that I'm living on my own, I'm realizing how dirty dining hall food was. So while the sheer volume of stuff I'm taking in has gone up, I'm leaning out quite a bit. I guess it's not so bad. Getting stupid amounts of protein, if I can gain weight at 13-15% body fat, so be it.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    After a week off lifting (did pushups/pullups/crunches everyday) for the week I eased myself in yesterday with squats, bench, rdl, and back extensions

gonna hit it pretty hard tomorrow though (and I need to).

also i'm checking in at 173 and 5'8"

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular

I don't think I could stay competitive on the wing in rugby if I was 103kg (same height).

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I don't consider 164 lbs at 5'7" to be a weight where I would tell someone "OMG, you need to eat!" It seems like a pretty healthy weight to me. Oh wait you actually changed the @ while I was typing haha.

Different strokes for different folks. There's definitely a contingent of folks, well represented on here, that would say 5'7'' and 164 is skinny.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Different strokes for different folks. There's definitely a contingent of folks, well represented on here, that would say 5'7'' and 164 is skinny.

Maybe not skinny per se, but I don’t think it’s possible to carry any significant BF% at that weight. I know a couple of guys who are extremely competitive at about that weight. One guy beat me in the Hercules Hold event at a strongman competition at 5’7” and 145lb (66kg). Weights were 118kg per hand. I could barely get them off the blocks and he held them for about 7 seconds. One of the most impressive things I’ve seen.

The record at our gym for the lightest person to total >1000lb in competition is 144lb.

The 4/3/2, actually (that being, 4-plate DL, 3-plate squat, 2-plate bench), which I think a few other people on here are doing. Given that, I think the advice to eat more is probably a step in the right direction, given my current weights.

I'll definitely look into that leangains site, so thanks @Mogs and @BEAST!. And really, thanks to everyone chiming in.

I'm not unhappy with 17% bf. However: 1) if I were putting up my goal weights, 17% would be fine. I'd feel like a monster. But at my current weights, with the desire for serious growth, 17% feels like it's going to be a floor, not a ceiling; and 2) frankly, at 5'7", at least on my frame, 17% bf looks a bit doughy.

I know I'm a bit hung up on the numbers, but with reasonable weight progress with BBB, I was just kinda, you know... hoping to get my cake and eat it too, so to speak.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2012
    So, despite consistently keeping up on leg exercises twice a week for two months, I did some lunges last Saturday for the first time in like six months and I've been basically unable to walk for the past three days due to my glutes and hamstrings being sore as all get out. I always find it funny when I read people say they're for chicks, because they're astoundingly hard on interesting parts of the leg.

A duck! on
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

That's weird. I'm 5'7" and at 165lbs I was pretty big in the ~20-25% body fat area. I've shrunk down to 150lbs, and I'd say I could drop another 10lbs before "visible abs."

You're making me feel puny

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
This discussion has been closed.