As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Clean mouth?

DimitryZDimitryZ Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Penny Arcade Games
I am not sure if this has been mentioned before (I searched, and find no relevant discussions), so I would like to ask...

Why is there almost no profanity in PAA 3? In fact I don't recall seeing the F word a single time in the entire game. I am not even sure I saw the S word. (edit: On my second playthrough I did notice a few S bombs.)

Is that for rating reasons? A callback to the good old Nintendo censorship? Jerry decided that you do not need profanity to make something funny?

Not that it made the game any less fun or anything (I love this game). Just that, given the source material, it's a little... curious.

Ok, I admit, I am an immature ass, and most of my favorite lines from the last two games (and the comic strips) all had F bombs dropping left and right. So is there a definite reason for PAA 3 becoming mild enough that I can play it in front of my grandmother?

Wishlist for EP3:
1. The Merch
2. Claw-shrimps
[more]
DimitryZ on

• Options
    ppsycho_scissorsppsycho_scissors Victoria, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Why on earth would you need profanity in an excellent story with awesome dialogue? The only reason profanity is used excessively in stories/games is when they are in truth absolutely terrible. Remove the profanity and what are you left with?
    Rain Slick does not need profanity to be interesting.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I was just being curious. PAA Ep1 and 2 both had excellent stories, and a potty mouth. Yes, removing the profanity and they are still excellent stories. However since PA is never known for shying away from the "seven dirty words", I wonder if there is a reason that PAA3 almost seemed to go out of their way to make the language "safe".

Again, just a curious question.
    Although I will admit this is one of my favorite PA strips ever.

DimitryZ on
    Wishlist for EP3:
    1. The Merch
    2. Claw-shrimps
    [more]
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Two reasons.

1 - Heavy profanity would prevent us from releasing on XBLIG (and might get us in trouble with other platforms that we want to release on later).
    2 - I don't swear so as a personal favor, I asked Jerry to tone things down.

• Options
    Thank you for satisfying my curiosity! Also thank you for the remarkable work on PAA3. Loved every minute of it.

Wishlist for EP3:
    1. The Merch
    2. Claw-shrimps
    [more]
  • Options
    TriskTrisk Registered User regular
    Didn't notice or care haha, thanks for the response anyway : )