As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Breath of Fire 3 - How to condense a JRPG!

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
Lets Play

bof3_logo.png
introscroll.png
The Last Dragon Boy Man God Thing
... working title...

Henroid here again folks, this time with Capcom's Breath of Fire 3. You may know me from, uh, like a decade here, and my Diablo LP, my had-to-abandon Etrian Odyssey 2 LP, and the long-hiatus Shining Force 2 LP. Okay fine, 1 and a half for 3, but in my defense one wasn't my fault and the other is still in very slow on-my-end production and kinda got not-interesting due to power-playing the game...

But lessons learned! No power playing here! And plus, this game has like a billion sprites, which are kinda my thing by this point. Enough about me. Time for this totally great game. One sec before that though...

When Reading this Lets Play...
embed.png
Meet Mr. Embed. He's a scarecrow. He'd usually be embedded in a field at a farm, but instead he's embedded here in the thread. Any time you see him, be sure to open up his link for musical treats. It's always music that plays in the moment in-game.

treasure.png
Meet Ms. Chest. When you see her, a list of items found in the following dungeon is found.

I also want to thank the following:
ILOVETODANCELOL - For providing a source for the game's music.
Gamefaqs - For providing some resources, especially the game script which saves me a lot of time.
Spriters-resource - Most sprites used come from sprite sheets provided here.
Capcom - They made the game. So thank you. Please show appreciation by becoming cool again.

What is Breath of Fire 3?

Breath of Fire 3 will be 15 years old this September. Now, it came out in 1998 in the States, and my brother and I were there at the ground floor. The series revolves around characters who share the same name - Ryu. Kinda like Link with the LoZ series. Not necessarily the same dude. And in typical JRPG fashion, in Breath of Fire you're saving the world. Now I'd never read about BoF 3 in magazines back then. Part 2 I sure as shit did and that game looked amazing, though I missed out on playing it when it was fresh and new. But according to Wikipedia, BoF 3 got relatively panned with "meh"s from the review world. One source even said it's just "more of the same" from RPGs.

More of the same? How about you turning into a fucking dragon?
kaiserdragon.png

And not just a dragon, but a variety of dragons! "More of the same" my ass! Plus the game is pretty colorful and arty in a pleasant way.

I'll tell you one more thing about the game too, that makes it stand out for me. With regard to approach in its plot and conclusion, it's relatively different from other things I've seen that are cliches in JRPG plots. At least for its time. I can't get into that without spoilers though. I'll explain when this is done.

The story of Breath of Fire 3 specifically focuses on a boy named Ryu who... hold on a second.

name.jpg

Okay anyway, Ryu Roo falls in with a couple out-of-luck kids living outside a farm town. From there, Ryu Roo is constantly put into adventurous situations and discovering his inner-power to breath fire. Or lightning or whatever the hell else you decide he should breathe. Maybe you're content with him swinging his sword! That totally works too. His journey is actually more than adventurous happenstance, but those are plot points! And it's better to see those unfold than have me just say it here and now.

Feature wise, the game has a system of apprenticing under 'masters.' Each master provides you with a share of stat gains and decreases to what you normally would gain on level up. Plus, they teach you spells and abilities. You can also manage your combat formations with your three party members, each formation providing its own benefit and adjusting your strategy. There are mini-games, but damn near all of them are one-offs as the story progresses. The only persistent mini-game is fishing, which provides you with a means of finding items to use, but you can also use the fish as special currency at some shops to get ahold of some equipment.

Oh, the game was re-released on the PSP! So if you seek a means to play it, ta-da, there it is! It didn't really change a whole lot from what I'm aware of. The logo changed (used above), and a duplication bug was removed. Not that it was entirely useful.

The Characters!

Along the way, Ryu Roo meets a few folks that fight alongside him. I should introduce them now!

Ryu Roo
ryuprofile.jpg
Here's our boy hero. Blue hair is the shared quality of all Breath of Fire Ryus Roos. He's a dragon. Just... gonna get that out there. And like all heroes, he swings a sword. And he's also among the class of heroes who doesn't say a damn thing we can hear. Not quite Gordon Freeman, but his language is beyond text meant for us. You may see me put words in his mouth.

Rei
reiprofile.jpg
This here is Rei. He's a cat man person. Unlike Katt, from part 2, he wears pants. And is a boy. He's like a bigger brother to Ryu Roo, the first of friends met. As a person, he sees things in a far simpler manner, all at face value. As a fighter, he specializes in being fast. Not much for muscle or being a caster.

Teepo
teepoprofile.jpg
The other of Ryu's Roo's forest-made friends. Teepo is an orphaned boy. He's pretty brash and has big dreams about fame and such. Like Ryu Roo, he's competent in swordplay and some magic, only instead of healing he likes to set them on fire or ice.

Nina
ninaprofile.jpg
Oh right, Breath of Fire, as a series, has another recurring character. And here she is - Nina! Princess of Wyndia. Could you tell? If you had to guess, she's a magic user. And frail. And she really likes Ryu. Roo. Whatever his name is. Surprise!

Momo
momoprofile.jpg
Here's the team's professor type. Momo is a young lady who is something of a scientist and technician. Oh right. This game has sorta-technology. You'll see. She has rabbit ears and a bazooka, and is a mixed bag of magic. My personal favorite character.

Peco
pecoprofile.jpg
And now for my least favorite character, because I can't figure out what the hell he's meant to do really, Peco! Peco is... an onion... monster thing. And he can't speak. Actually though, he's a hit point power house.

Garr
garrprofile.jpg
You're either thinking "Oh, that's the muscle" and/or "Is he a dragon demon thing?" Well he is the muscle, but he's... Well you'll see in plot points. He's not a dragon or demon though. Just real scary looking. He's pretty much the guy who makes the plot happen at all though.

Hey you guuuuuuuuyyys

Usually I allow people to give input on things I do in my Lets Plays. This time, I'm going to take a relaxed means of that. In essence you guys have a few episodes to convince me of a team to use for all my doings in the game (exceptions being when I have to bring someone along for content with little choice on my end). Roo always has to be in the team so you guys who have played the game before feel free to convince me of who the other two are and how to build them up.

Warning: I'm strongly leaning toward having Momo no matter what so you're gonna have to fight me on that.

Episode Guide
Just keeping count of episodes and noting where in the thread each resides.

Episode 1 - Ye Olde Introduction - Page 1
Episode 2 - NO TITLE! - Page 2
Episode 3 - The Tutorial Episode - Page 4
Episode 4 - The Most Important Episode Ever - Page 4
Episode 4 - Part 2 - Also Page 4

Henroid on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Episode 1
    bof30101.png
    bof30102.jpg
    mogucart.png A dragon...? I don't know about this...

bof30103.jpg
    garycart.png C'mon...It's really high-quality stuff.

bof30104.jpg
    When magical beings die, their bodies slowly transform into the ore known as
    chrysm.

bof30105.jpg
    mogu.png The dragons tried to destroy the world...
    gary.png Yep... Fought a huge war... THE war...
    mogu.png I sure wouldn't want to meet a dragon...

bof30106.jpg
    gary.png Yeah... But they're extinct now...

Even the legendary dragons, whose might shook the world...

bof30107.jpg

bof30108.jpg
    mogu.png ...dies in the end like everyone else

No one knows how or why the mighty dragons became extinct...

bof30109.jpg
    bof30110.jpg

This tale is dedicated to the dragons.

Let's Play...
    bof3_logo.png

bof30111.jpg
    mogu.png OK, explosives are set!
    gary.png What is this? An egg or something?

bof30112.jpg
    gary.png Well I'll be...
    mogu.png C'mon, let's get to work already...

bof30113.jpg
    bof30114.jpg
    bof30115.jpg
    bof30116.jpg
    whelpskree.png *skree!*
    embed.png (Escape)
    gary.png ......What the...?? I...It's still alive!!
    mogu.png Wh... W H O A !!
    moguswing.png
    whelp1alt.png!!

bof30117.jpg
    whelp1alt.png(Well, maybe he's just as scared as I am. No need to fight.)

bof30118.jpg
    whelp1alt.png(Okay, now it's on.)

bof30119.jpg
    bof30120.jpg
    bof30121.jpg
    The first treasure of many. I guess our little dragon carries it in his mouth.

bof30122.jpg
    bof30123.jpg
    whelpskree.png *skree!*
    scaredminer.png D-D-D-D-D-DRAGON!!!
    whelp1alt.png(Crud, I dropped my sword.)

bof30124.jpg
    bof30125.jpg
    bof30126.jpg
    bof30127.jpg

bof30128.jpg
    Well, I guess morality systems weren't invented just yet in 1997.

bof30129.jpg
    whelpskree.png *skree!*
    engineer.png It's a monster!!

bof30130.jpg
    What we have here is failure to communicate.

bof30131.jpg
    bof30132.jpg
    whelp1alt.png(Don't wanna eat this one either...)

bof30133.jpg
    bof30134.jpg
    You can rotate the camera in this game! It's not just to show off "wooo 3D" stuff, it's actually important for finding items and progressing.

bof30135.jpg
    bof30136.jpg
    bof30137.jpg
    coweringminer.png We're cursed! We're doomed! I knew we shouldn't be digging up dead bodies!

bof30138.jpg
    foremanback.png Wh..What's that!? Somebody... Somebody help!!

bof30139.jpg
    beastmanback.png Well, well, well... Let's take it alive!

bof30140.jpg
    Business as usua-

bof30141.jpg
    bof30142.jpg
    whelp1alt.png??
    craneop.png Take that!!

bof30143.jpg
    embed.png (A Tribute to the Dragon)

bof30144.jpg
    bof30145.jpg
    bof30146.jpg
    bof30147.jpg
    And so the dragon problem was settled, the whelp taken away...

bof30148.jpg
    whelp1alt.png(Wh... where am I? I've got to get out of here...)

bof30149.jpg
    whelp1alt.png(... whoops...)

Henroid on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    It has dragons.

I approve.

488W936.png
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    My sister and I didn't want to compete playing the same game, so she played 3 and I played 4. Until the disk would not let her continue the game past some point.

Meanwhile I had the time of my life with 4.

VRXwDW7.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I move that we drive Henroid crazy by forcing him to get the goo king sword.

Buttcleft on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I move that we drive Henroid crazy by forcing him to get the goo king sword.

At least that isn't until the very last moments of the game. Like literally on the heels of the end of the game.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    "More of the same?" "More of the same?!"

They must've played some other BoF3. The one I played wasn't about saving the world, like virtually every other RPG in existence. You were out there to find answers, and you'd do it by crossing every impassible barrier the world set before you. The one I played starred a surprisingly expressive mute kid who blindly flailed his sword like a jackass until the princess was watching, at which point he cowboyed the fuck up.

I really like BoF3, easily my favorite in the series. Looking forward to this!

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    This was my first epic RPG. I borrowed it from a friend and never gave it back. (Of course, he borrowed Xenogears and never gave it back.)

I love this game so much, despite all its issues.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ye gods. This was the game that got away from me.

This was way before I had interwebs, (non-spoilers) but I got stuck at the very end cause I couldn't figure out how to open a certain door. By the time I figures it out, years later, my PS1 was gone and Zeus knows where the save card went.

So I'm really looking forward to this LP.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    You know it's funny you mention internet and this game, because back in those days all we used the internet for - besides IMs and email - was looking up game strategy guides. My brother printed one out for Breath of Fire 3, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the ones that got put on GameFAQs eventually. Not an entire-game FAQ though, just the thing about masters.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Heh, I remember those days. Reading on forums entirely dedicated to Xenogears and Chrono Trigger was the majority of my early world wide webiverse experiance.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Stolls wrote: »

They must've played some other BoF3. The one I played wasn't about saving the world, like virtually every other RPG in existence. You were out there to find answers, and you'd do it by crossing every impassible barrier the world set before you. The one I played starred a surprisingly expressive mute kid who blindly flailed his sword like a jackass until the princess was watching, at which point he cowboyed the fuck up.

... Well I was going to save pretty much what you wrote for later but yeah there it is. :P

Anyway, right now I'm considering a team of Roo, Momo, and Garr. That or Rei instead of Garr, but I'm not going to mess with that fussing around of the Chain Formation if I do that. Rei is a weak pansy but I want to see if he can be built up on the right master. Which is to say, Bunyan.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    <OCD>

I hate the way Masters permanently affect character stats. Hate. That's mostly why I play FF6 without using any Espers. It's impossible to play BoF3 without using Masters.

</OCD>

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Man, this just reminds me how I hope this isn't a dead franchise. I've loved each of the games. Dragon Quarter, for all it's faults, had a phenomenal combat system that was like the beautiful love child of a JRPG and SRPG.

• DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Dragon Quarter was just phenomenal all around, it just wasn't what people were expecting from a normal RPG series. If you went along with what it was trying to do, everything clicked into place.

And BoF3 was the game that taught me why they always put those warnings to not turn off your system while saving. I think it was actually the second time playing through this, but about a third of the way into the game my house had a power outage right when the "SAVING: DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR SYSTEM OR REMOVE THE MEMORY CARD" message was up. When the power came back on, I frantically tried to check the save. ...Corrupted.

But yes, awesome game. And yes, Momo is indeed the best character. Seriously, the description is all you need: redhead bunny-girl scientist. With a rocket launcher.

Oh shit, I forgot to put in one of the most important parts to this whole thing!

embed.png
    Meet Mr. Embed. He's a scarecrow. He'd usually be embedded in a field at a farm, but instead he's embedded here in the thread. Any time you see him, be sure to open up his link for musical treats.

• KamiKami Registered User regular
    Oh man Henroid, this is THE RADDEST THING

Breath of Fire 3 and Star Ocean: The Second Story are tied for my favorite JRPG, and are both near the top of the 'my favorite game, period' list

*salute*

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I liked Peco. He has a mean jab. Oh, and the early part of the game where Ryu. Roo. Whatever. It made me laugh when Ryuroo wielded his sword like a damn idiot.

Hooray Kami. <4

Oh, and expect me to generally pass over any mentioning of leveling up and such. The idea is to keep the plot moving forward in this. Even within the same updates hours may go by between one screenshot and the next. Not that you'll be made aware of it, unless you're watching closely for it. I guess. Not that it's a... uh... thing to hide really.

I liked Peco. He has a mean jab. Oh, and the early part of the game where Ryu. Roo. Whatever. It made me laugh when Ryuroo wielded his sword like a damn idiot.

TOTALLY making a point of this by the way. :D

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    This is one of so fucking many RPGs that I would dearly love to play through, given super cheato stats and the ability to turn off random encounters so I could just go straight through it.

BoF3 in particular I feel would hurt too much with its length and endless fetching, despite how much I loved it back in the day.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

... Well I was going to save pretty much what you wrote for later but yeah there it is. :P

Anyway, right now I'm considering a team of Roo, Momo, and Garr. That or Rei instead of Garr, but I'm not going to mess with that fussing around of the Chain Formation if I do that. Rei is a weak pansy but I want to see if he can be built up on the right master. Which is to say, Bunyan.

The answer is always Garr.

naengwen wrote: »

The answer is always Garr.

You may have to convince me on this. I plan on naturally increasing everyone's agility, as opposed to the "play only to their strenghts" thing which means training under Maryleep for a long while. Just until the stat is between 50 and 60. In Garr's case it may take a while. Agility is way too important in this game, but wasting a battle formation to stick a weak Rei up front doesn't seem like my thing.

Actually though, Garr with Hondura's skills might produce badass results.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    It's mostly a pref thing. I wasn't that big a fan of Momo due to early game woes. Rei I didn't mind, but it was a while before I really used him.

Garr, on the other hand, saved me from a wipe on every boss I had him for. I was pretty stupid as far as masters; pretty sure I just popped everyone on whatever the next one was, thinking that stats would balance out in the end.

Much respect for the meat shield.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Kami wrote: »
    Oh man Henroid, this is THE RADDEST THING

Breath of Fire 3 and Star Ocean: The Second Story are tied for my favorite JRPG, and are both near the top of the 'my favorite game, period' list

*salute*

Truly, games for people of class and refined taste :^:

TOTALLY making a point of this by the way. :D

Awesome. Ryu3's such a great little dude, had more character to him than a lot of RPG leads can manage even with speech.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Woah... Teapo's a DUDE?

I thought he was a tomboyish girl.
    (Never finished the prolouge before disc disappeared).

newSig.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This might be the first thread I bookmark on PA. Really well done screenshot LP so far. I like the little scarecrow links to the WONDERFUL background music. Seriously, I listen to this OST all the fucking time. It's, just, incredible.

BoF3 and FF7 were my first legitimate entries into the RPG genre. This game is truly a masterpiece.

I said the same exact thing. Reviewers had no idea what they were talking about when this was released. Is this on PSN? I know it's not on XBL.....but it should be on both.

Edit - Also, I think you've inspired me to change my avatar.
    Edit2 - God damnit, I can't find animated gifs anywhere. I'll have to make one out of the sprite sheet on the interwebs.

KoopahTroopah on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I hate getting my Breath of Fires mixed up. Was III the one with the gene system? Had all kinds of fun dicking around with the dragon genes.
    Also, bookmarked, eagerly anticipate updates, etc...

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I have not played this. I played IV tho. Let's see how this goes.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Breath of fire 3 had dragon genes, 4 had an upgrade system.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I love this game. I'm going to chime in with the character animations as well, when RyuRoo goes from wielding his sword like an idiot to being confident with it around the princess was awesome.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I love BOF3 so much that to this day, I still do the noise that Goos make when they "space out" to represent that I think someone's a spacecase.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    shit I need to play BoF3 again.

also damn henroid, have we really been around the forums for a decade? that seems like its not a good thing

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    Yes! This is such a wonderfull game. Looking forward to the rest of the LP.

bannerpa.jpg
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    This might be the first thread I bookmark on PA. Really well done screenshot LP so far. I like the little scarecrow links to the WONDERFUL background music. Seriously, I listen to this OST all the fucking time. It's, just, incredible.

BoF3 and FF7 were my first legitimate entries into the RPG genre. This game is truly a masterpiece.

I said the same exact thing. Reviewers had no idea what they were talking about when this was released. Is this on PSN? I know it's not on XBL.....but it should be on both.

Edit - Also, I think you've inspired me to change my avatar.
    Edit2 - God damnit, I can't find animated gifs anywhere. I'll have to make one out of the sprite sheet on the interwebs.
    It's not on the PSN. There was a PSP release of it, but it never came to North America. However, it did come out in Europe. BoF4 was released on the PSN.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I love Breath of Fire 3.

It's a bit old and clunky but the game is just charming as hell.

BoF4 is good too, and has some of the best sprite work this side of a 2D fighting game.

Scosglen on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I used to love this series. Never finished 3. Maybe i'lls tick around for this.

steam_sig.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    BoF3 is too damn long for its own good. I ain't kidding myself, get out of my backlog now. shoo shoo

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Looking forward to this. Played it a ton back in the day, but never managed to finish it.

vru37z14gk5j.png

It's not on the PSN. There was a PSP release of it, but it never came to North America. However, it did come out in Europe. BoF4 was released on the PSN.

Oh hell, I didn't know the PSP release was limited. That blows.
    shit I need to play BoF3 again.

also damn henroid, have we really been around the forums for a decade? that seems like its not a good thing

Of course it's a good thing. I'm glad there's familiar folks like you still around after all this time.
    I like the little scarecrow links to the WONDERFUL background music. Seriously, I listen to this OST all the fucking time. It's, just, incredible.

I'll need your help finding a particular piece of music then. Because it's not part of what is traditionally referred to as the soundtrack (which is essentially all the BGM music mode selection, which doesn't have every song in the game for some reason).

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I have never played this game so I totally did not see that coming.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.