As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(500) Days of Spidey

JimothyJimothy Not in front of the foxhe's with the owlRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Social Entropy++
So I just saw this.

I loved it. Garfield was perfect.

You guys, I finally get Emma Stone.

It's only a week old, we should still be talking about it and how much better it is than all the Raimi movies and how dreamy Gwen Stacy is.

Also, I am a huge fan of Greg Weisman's The Spectacular Spider-Man, so we should talk about that too and how Flash is the best and how much we miss it.

Jimothy on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You got your spider in my man.

YL9WnCY.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    What did you not get before??

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You got your spider in my man.

You got your man in my spider!

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    yeah I don't understand how you couldn't get Emma Stone

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    yeah I don't understand how you couldn't get Emma Stone

I just never got the appeal!

I definitely do now. I repent.

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    So I'm right in thinking that
    Aunt May knows he's Spider-Man by the end of the movie, right? Because I feel that was an awesome way to go. I love when Aunt May knows.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten my emma stone yet.

But you know, Send her round to my place quick smart and we'll sort that problem out.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular

can someone explain to me why a guy who generally makes salient points about film needs to adopt the hulk persona and then be really bad at it except for posting in caps which makes his articles hard to read?

xmassig2.gif
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    My only two real criticisms:
    I vastly preferred SpecSpidey George Stacy and how he found out Pete was Spidey. Just taking off a mask isn't as cool as figuring it out. And he was just more of a jerk than I am used to. Still, his death hit harder than Ben's for me.

The other thing is that I really disliked what they did with Conners. I prefer when he's the nicest guy and has a wife and kid and is terrified and ashamed of the Lizard.

That said, I've long been one to say that the SpecSpidey versions of the characters are superior to any other, but this movie's Gwen was definitely better than the show's. Then again, I never really liked the show's Gwen, in contrast to the majority opinion. I was rooting for Liz.

And as someone who was an active supporter in the Twitter campaign for Donald Glover to play Peter (though I still think he would've done a good job), I think Garfield was flawless.

• existexist Registered User regular

can someone explain to me why a guy who generally makes salient points about film needs to adopt the hulk persona and then be really bad at it except for posting in caps which makes his articles hard to read?

No kidding. I'd be really interesting in reading that but it is just so tiring.

UmPiq.png
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Aunt May knows he's Spider-Man by the end of the movie, right? Because I feel that was an awesome way to go. I love when Aunt May knows.
    Oh, that scene in the end when Pete walks in covered in lizard marks sealed it for me. She just had this look of "You wonderful, foolish little bastard."

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-amazing-spider-man/

Its the more real Mr. Plinkett guy and friends talking about the movie. I kinda just watch his Half in the Bag movie reviews to pass time but this one is pretty bad. Also if you haven't seen HinB then let tell you right now that its a series of reviews that have a back story so...

Also boourns on new movie Spidey costume!

steam_sig.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I hate the other guy in the HinB reviews, he is so bad

exist wrote: »

No kidding. I'd be really interesting in reading that but it is just so tiring.

I believe he used to do it in actual hulk-speak, or I've at least read something of his which was. But again, impossible to read. I'd bet it's because he already had the character and the twitter followers etc, and also it seems like he is intent on staying anonymous.

Also I'm not assuming it's a guy I'm just not playing the fucking pronoun game

Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Oh, that scene in the end when Pete walks in covered in lizard marks sealed it for me. She just had this look of "You wonderful, foolish little bastard."

I kinda got that sense too.

And I am maybe really dense here, but I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with that last line with Gwen re: their relationship. I think I know what the actual status is, but the line was too fast or too cryptic for me and I am dumb.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    hulk is male so I'll assume male until otherwise informed

xmassig2.gif
    Jimothy wrote: »

And I am maybe really dense here, but I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with that last line with Gwen re: their relationship. I think I know what the actual status is, but the line was too fast or too cryptic for me and I am dumb.
    You mean "Promises you can't keep are the best kind?" He's saying he knows he made a promise, but she's too important to him to keep that promise, even if it means she'll be at risk for being thrown off of a bridge and killed one day by a dude in a circus outfit.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    like, I realize the full plinket reviews take a long time, but why can't he just do shorter videos without the persona for new releases?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    like, I realize the full plinket reviews take a long time, but why can't he just do shorter videos without the persona for new releases?

Because they're not interested in doing traditional reviews?

Hell, I enjoy watching those guys, but it has very little to do with whatever they're reviewing

You mean "Promises you can't keep are the best kind?" He's saying he knows he made a promise, but she's too important to him to keep that promise, even if it means she'll be at risk for being thrown off of a bridge and killed one day by a dude in a circus outfit.

I kinda thought that, but the problem is
    following that train of logic, it is pretty selfish. Why not just have the movie point out that George got to have her and her brothers and mom while doing a similar job (the parallels were already established!) and that maybe people should trust her because she had already proven to be very capable and accepting of risk?

following that train of logic, it is pretty selfish. Why not just have the movie point out that George got to have her and her brothers and mom while doing a similar job (the parallels were already established!) and that maybe people should trust her because she had already proven to be very capable and accepting of risk?
    Well, it's selfish of both of them--selfish of her to expect that Peter wouldn't listen to the man that saved his life, and selfish of Peter to think he is above that risk he's putting her in. You're absolutely right. Which is what makes what comes next such a gut punch, because they were asking for trouble--and Pete knows it.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i saw this today

this is my favorite marvel movie

it goes

1. Amazing Spider-Man
    2. Avengers
    3. Iron Man 1

lfYVHTd.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I vastly preferred SpecSpidey George Stacy and how he found out Pete was Spidey. Just taking off a mask isn't as cool as figuring it out. And he was just more of a jerk than I am used to. Still, his death hit harder than Ben's for me.

The other thing is that I really disliked what they did with Conners. I prefer when he's the nicest guy and has a wife and kid and is terrified and ashamed of the Lizard.

That said, I've long been one to say that the SpecSpidey versions of the characters are superior to any other, but this movie's Gwen was definitely better than the show's. Then again, I never really liked the show's Gwen, in contrast to the majority opinion. I was rooting for Liz.

And as someone who was an active supporter in the Twitter campaign for Donald Glover to play Peter (though I still think he would've done a good job), I think Garfield was flawless.

No he would not have. Donglover is a great actor but his style and timing do not work for spider-man. I also don't think the man can do drama. He'd a comedic genius and he can get some heartfelt emotions going but I will never believe he can believably portray angst or anger in a way that isn't hilarious.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

Well, it's selfish of both of them--selfish of her to expect that Peter wouldn't listen to the man that saved his life, and selfish of Peter to think he is above that risk he's putting her in. You're absolutely right. Which is what makes what comes next such a gut punch, because they were asking for trouble--and Pete knows it.
    yeah i... i will probably cry when that scene comes

fuckin'

man it's gonna suck

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

No he would not have. Donglover is a great actor but his style and timing do not work for spider-man. I also don't think the man can do drama. He'd a comedic genius and he can get some heartfelt emotions going but I will never believe he can believably portray angst or anger in a way that isn't hilarious.

The guy's an actor, and he can be directed and produced and maybe you know, grow as an actor. Although I don't think I could buy him as a high school senior. I didn't really see Garfield or Stone as high school seniors either though.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

He never actually made a promise though.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

He never actually made a promise though.

I dont know that this is a hair worth splitting

2x39jD4.jpg

WROOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTCL6f5YtDQ

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    I really liked this, i would go watch it again

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I think Peter Parker works best as college student.

Doesn't really have to worry about a full time job.

He can skip classes to save the city but brings fun stories about still having to pass classes.

Can be young and naive to life and to the other older supers.

Girls! Girls! Girls! And relationship drama!

And of legal age sexy college sexual experimentation

steam_sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

The guy's an actor, and he can be directed and produced and maybe you know, grow as an actor. Although I don't think I could buy him as a high school senior. I didn't really see Garfield or Stone as high school seniors either though.

People say this and assume its actually applicable to every a for and its not the case. Like I said dude is a comedy master and apparently a hardcore rapper but I don't think he's gonna pull off an Tom hanks and switch to dramatic roles anytime soon.

Also Tom Hanks go back to comedy we need you.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

People say this and assume its actually applicable to every a for and its not the case. Like I said dude is a comedy master and apparently a hardcore rapper

heh

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm kind of upset about this movie. they had spider-man, and it was good, then some suits ruined it while still making a bundle and that was fine because they can always reboot it.

would it have been that hard to make the last scene of spider man 3 be eddy brock in the church? no

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So is michael cera just straight up out of a job now that jesse eisenberg is the new white guy on the block

2x39jD4.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Usually comedy actors can do drama really well though, as the old saying goes they're two sides of the same coin. I mean Jim Carey did well in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind plus Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell surprised me both with Reign Over Me and Stranger Than Fiction respectively.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm kind of upset about this movie. they had spider-man, and it was good, then some suits ruined it while still making a bundle and that was fine because they can always reboot it.

would it have been that hard to make the last scene of spider man 3 be eddy brock in the church? no

just pretend the previous movies never existed, because they are bad, and this movie is better in every way except for its lack of JJJ

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Man, I don't know how anyone can see Zombieland and not get Emma Stone.

Anyhow, I thought this was pretty good. The cast was superb, but I felt like the script was lacking.
    The whole get powers - uncle dies - be a hero cause-and-effect seemed weirdly structured, like it was at some point we don't really see between when he's searching for his uncle's killer and when the Lizard shows up that he starts being a hero.

Spidey's snark was greatly appreciated, though.

This discussion has been closed.