As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    if you're like me, 150 lbs at 5'6" can look all different kinds of ways

like right now i have a floppy protruding fat belly

but then last summer when i was better about eating and exercising i was around the same weight and looked like a skinny person

meh

i only started to look kind of not either skinny or skinny fat when i got near 165 back when i was eating properly and squatting pre-knee injury
    and i was still tiny

do you think i should go to the gym tomorrow, i first started feeling really sick yesterday but sore throat happened on friday, but now i feel a little better

i want to go i think, i guess ill have to see in the morning how congested and shit i still am

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular

but then last summer when i was better about eating and exercising i was around the same weight and looked like a skinny person

meh

i only started to look kind of not either skinny or skinny fat when i got near 165 back when i was eating properly and squatting pre-knee injury
    and i was still tiny

do you think i should go to the gym tomorrow, i first started feeling really sick yesterday but sore throat happened on friday, but now i feel a little better

i want to go i think, i guess ill have to see in the morning how congested and shit i still am

If you're on the fence, go and see how you feel. Can always take a light day. I have this irrational fear that if I take a day for personal reasons I will look back on it and use it as an excuse to do it again.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks. There's definitely a contingent of folks, well represented on here, that would say 5'7'' and 164 is skinny.

That's weird. I'm 5'7" and at 165lbs I was pretty big in the ~20-25% body fat area. I've shrunk down to 150lbs, and I'd say I could drop another 10lbs before "visible abs."
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    164 lbs at 5'7" is a pretty good size.

Guess it depends who you're talking to. I'm 180 at 5'6" and I feel small.

You're making me feel puny

ninzor you're crazy strong and light, I don't know how you do it. I don't know how any crazy strong and light dudes do it. But then I've always been a chunky short guy, I don't know what light feels like.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

If you're on the fence, go and see how you feel. Can always take a light day. I have this irrational fear that if I take a day for personal reasons I will look back on it and use it as an excuse to do it again.

yeah. could also just go thursday and friday instead of weds and friday, since i feel like i'm on the way to getting better. i'll see how it is when i wake up.

poo
  • PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Checking in at 172 pounds at 5'11. Always been stupid thin though, mostly cause I eat clean, I think.

And I hate having a shitty gym day, tend to err on the side of being a pussy :(

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm 200 lbs at 5'10", but I am in desperate need of a cut. Eating everything and lifting hard is certainly amazing fun, but my stomach is about three inches past where it should be.

• the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    Different strokes for different folks. There's definitely a contingent of folks, well represented on here, that would say 5'7'' and 164 is skinny.

That's weird. I'm 5'7" and at 165lbs I was pretty big in the ~20-25% body fat area. I've shrunk down to 150lbs, and I'd say I could drop another 10lbs before "visible abs."

ninzor you're crazy strong and light, I don't know how you do it. I don't know how any crazy strong and light dudes do it. But then I've always been a chunky short guy, I don't know what light feels like.

You're under 200 lbs so I don't even want to hear it. I haven't been below 200 since high school, and I'm currently sitting at 275 at 6'1. Fat as a house at 275, but 275 nonetheless.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Aha, thanks. Didn't always used to be that way, but training for powerlifting is just way too much fun

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    So, despite consistently keeping up on leg exercises twice a week for two months, I did some lunges last Saturday for the first time in like six months and I've been basically unable to walk for the past three days due to my glutes and hamstrings being sore as all get out. I always find it funny when I read people say they're for chicks, because they're astoundingly hard on interesting parts of the leg.

People who say lunges are for chicks are silly.

Speaking of "chick" exercises, I was actually for once disappointed that my gym doesn't have a hip adductor/abductor machine. I'm taking a week or two off squatting because my right hip is not feeling great, and I'm wanting to do some exercises to strengthen the hip abductors. I don't have access to bands right now - anyone got any exercise recommendations? I of course can google something, but curious if anyone here has had any experience with this particular movement.

edited July 2012
    Oh hey are we doing the height/weight thing?

217lbs @ 6'5" and weak as fuck, reporting in.

Yes Ninzor you are a strong fella. We have similar lifts from what I see on fitocracy, but you're like half my weight.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    the wook wrote: »

You're under 200 lbs so I don't even want to hear it. I haven't been below 200 since high school, and I'm currently sitting at 275 at 6'1. Fat as a house at 275, but 275 nonetheless.

Man you're 5 inches taller than I am. If I were 6'1'' I'd probably be sitting around 230 or 240.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I'm 6'2" and 215, though I think I'm probably about 1/5 of a wook when it comes to muscle mass/strength.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Paleo diet?

Make room in your budget for lots of Ex Lax

People doing paleo right get a TON of fiber to offset the "50% of your diet is lean protein" aspect.

Metamucil or Citrucel

And if you don't like drinking the nasty grit they make fiber gummies and they make fiber cookies now

so if you can't shit it's your own fault

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I am 6'1" - 6'2" depending on who's doing the measuring (always somebody shorter)

252 last time i checked

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular

meh

and i was still tiny

yes the last i saw you, you looked skinny as hell

and uhh, as of today i'm 172 and 5'8....i have a belly and lots of fat...i am a loser slob and only your moms will ever love me

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    blehhhhhhhh

been getting back in into the gym started seriously going 2 weeks ago

i was going before but not as much as now, and not with all the cardio I do now for sure, also didn't help that I tore the ligaments in my wrist.

i'm 6'0 and 189 trying to drop to 180/175.

i'm also at like 20% body fat which i want closer to 14 -16

edited July 2012
    If I had to guess body fat i'd have to say somewhere around 20%

edit: well i looked and compared to that bf% article from and probably not good to compare after eating a baked potato and a 1lb ribeye

Dead Legend on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    If I had to guess body fat i'd have to say somewhere around 20%

edit: well i looked and compared to that bf% article from and probably not good to compare after eating a baked potato and a 1lb ribeye

Best time to compare is after a big night out on the whiskeys. I end up so damn dehydrated that I drop about 2kg and look about 10kg leaner.

Feel awful though. But as long as you’re not looking at my eyes, I look better than normal.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Paleo diet?

Make room in your budget for lots of Ex Lax

People doing paleo right get a TON of fiber to offset the "50% of your diet is lean protein" aspect.

This. I eat more vegetables than anyone I know. (I also eat more food than anyone I know, so who knows how much that's worth)

5'9" and 160-165. Calipers say 25% body fat, but friends and photo comparisons say more like 18-20%. Lifting heavy and eating a lot of the right things is making it better everyday, though.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend me some hypertrophic exercises for my glutes and hamstrings to round out my leg workout?

Currently my leg workout consists of squats, front squats, barbell lunges, linear leg extensions, hamstring curls (awful, I know), and calf raises. I feel as though I may not be not be giving my hamstrings and glutes enough attention even though I can max out the machine, which seems like a small feat.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I wish I had time to make a "Why not zoidberg?" jpg that says "Why not deadlift?" instead

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Deadlift variations like the romanian deadlift and the straight legged deadlift are meant to be good for hamstrings I think

Taranis wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me some hypertrophic exercises for my glutes and hamstrings to round out my leg workout?

Currently my leg workout consists of squats, front squats, barbell lunges, linear leg extensions, hamstring curls (awful, I know), and calf raises. I feel as though I may not be not be giving my hamstrings and glutes enough attention even though I can max out the machine, which seems like a small feat.

Good mornings. No doubt.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    I wish I had time to make a "Why not zoidberg?" jpg that says "Why not deadlift?" instead

23287480.jpg

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't deadlift because they are six hundred times less fun than cleans.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I don't deadlift because they are six hundred times less fun than cleans.

I like the feeling of the absurd amount (relative to my other lifts) that I can move on them

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I deadlift, but that's a part of back workout. Good mornings are exactly what I'm looking for, especially since my lower back is comparatively weak.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    I started lifting may 23rd. My squat was 85 lbs, my bench was 135, my deadlift was 165

My squat has officially gone up 100 lbs as of yesterday. My bench is 180, and my deadlift is 240.

I've also gained about 10 lbs. Considering I was already rather chubby, were gonna chalk this up to muscle...

yeah... muscle

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Did I miss the height weight thing?

72.5in/1.84m, 178lb/80.7kg today.

It's felt good being able to work out again!

I deadlift, but that's a part of back workout. Good mornings are exactly what I'm looking for, especially since my lower back is comparatively weak.

Push back hard into them and you can load the hams/glutes up really nicely without smashing the back too much. I like them as an assistance exercise on squat/deads day to get a bit of blood through the muscles after the bigger lifts.

• the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I like to deadlift because I love moving big weight. Also it's the only real forearm workout I get. Though I will tell you, I incorporated the Jefferson lift into my workout today in a more deliberate fashion, and they actually put an interesting burn into my forearms at only 135 lbs.

Push back hard into them and you can load the hams/glutes up really nicely without smashing the back too much. I like them as an assistance exercise on squat/deads day to get a bit of blood through the muscles after the bigger lifts.

Yes this. I find some relatively light BB good mornings after a heavy DL session soothe my angry back a bit.

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    So I do bent over rows with dumb bells on back days, but I noticed lifting with my right side irritates my wrist where I injured it. Should I switch the exercise up with something else or is it just kinda a pain ill feel from now on since I've had an injury there.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    5'7, 160lbs.

Last I checked, my body fat was around 12-13 percent.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    A lot of 5'7 people up in hurr

"Be excellent to each other."
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    surprising amount of people in the 5'6"-5'10" range

Manlets, the lot of you.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    6'1" & 220 pounds, or 185 cm and 100 kg in a real system of measurements.

If I were at about a 10-12% body fat ratio, I would be ecstatic.

Unfortunately, I'm closer to 20-22%...

• jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Manlets, the lot of you.

Shaddup, at least we don't suffer from oxygen deprivation like you up there in the clouds.

172cm (~5'7") and 80kg (176 lb) checking in.

• MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    Hey duders. I've been lifting more regularly than likely ever this year and seen big progress. Glad to see you guys are still pushin' it too :-)

Ranmasig5.png
This discussion has been closed.