As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

19495969798100»

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    UNGHcurlsinthesquatrackARGHSMASHthrowtheweightwhenimdone

The weirdest people go to the gym in the middle of the night.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I don't barbell curl often, but when I do, I do it in the squat rack. Usually because it's empty and I'm in the squat rack 80% of the time, so what's another 5 mins.

But straight barbells don't seem to agree with my wrists and forearms, so I use an ez-bar mostly these days, which sadly is too short to fit nicely onto the safeties of a squat rack.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    I deadlift, but that's a part of back workout. Good mornings are exactly what I'm looking for, especially since my lower back is comparatively weak.

Push back hard into them and you can load the hams/glutes up really nicely without smashing the back too much. I like them as an assistance exercise on squat/deads day to get a bit of blood through the muscles after the bigger lifts.

Yes this. I find some relatively light BB good mornings after a heavy DL session soothe my angry back a bit.

Speaking of which... 500lb triples on the deadlift tonight.

3, 2, 3, 2, 2. The second set I got sloppy on the technique on the third rep, tried to grind the lockout for about 5-6 seconds and couldn't make it. Sets 4 and 5 I was just too gassed. Very happy with the session though. Buildup is going well.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i am still sick

i am pushing off gym till (hopefully) tomrorow

ugh sickness is terrible

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also i know my form on the pendlay row is not good as i think i am using too much weight, this exercise is relatively new to me, what are some cues for this to make sure i'm not cheating / using my legs and lower back

also where do i aim to bring the bar to

poo
  • Options
    carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
    adytum wrote: »
    UNGHcurlsinthesquatrackARGHSMASHthrowtheweightwhenimdone

The weirdest people go to the gym in the middle of the night.

Those same people are the ones who leave their dumbbells and bars all over the floor when they finish their workout. No respect for others!

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ooo, ooo weight/height check. 6'1"/205 lbs.

I eat pretty clean but I drink like a fish on weekends. I would say that's 5-10 pounds of fat.

EDIT: Speaking of, I'm kind of curious, what are your drinking habits like? Alcohol obviously has a negative effect on athletic performance, testosterone production and body composition so less is better but I am interested in the range.

I would estimate I consume 10-20 drinks per week.

Gork on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are when I usually consume alcohol. And I usually only do it 2 out of those 4 days. And have 2 or 3 drinks per session. So typically 4-6 drinks per week.

That's not to say that there haven't been weeks where I've had a lot more, like this past week for example where I went out 4 days so I clocked in at 10. But it's time to buckle down on my diet again, so I am cutting it out completely as of this week.

Sitting at 69" / 176cm @ 190lb / 86kg - around 16% BF. Have gone up a couple % since my brother wedding in May and that is no bueno, so no more drinking and eating whatever.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Our squat racks all have a pull up bar, so I'm frequently the guy who is busy doing arm work in the rack: pull ups, muscle ups, etc.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Quick question

Are converse shoes okay for weightlifting?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Quick question

Yes.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    6'1.5" here, at 86kg, 15% BF. That's after a couple months cut during Ironman and a holiday. Down from 91kg.

How do you guys measure BF? I have calipers but they give me silly values using most formulae around the 8% range. The only thing that i've used that seems somewhere near is the grip bio-electric impedance machine in my gym, which says around 13%.

Another thing. My bench (102.5kg), DL (165kg), press (75kg) and PC (85kg) are going up but I feel really stalled out at 110kg for squats. That seems a little out of whack with the other numbers. I was thinking about maybe doing lots of heavy doubles as opposed to 5,5,3,3,1,1 pyramids to help bump the numbers?

Any other suggestions?

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    6'1.5" here, at 86kg, 15% BF. That's after a couple months cut during Ironman and a holiday. Down from 91kg.

How do you guys measure BF? I have calipers but they give me silly values using most formulae around the 8% range. The only thing that i've used that seems somewhere near is the grip bio-electric impedance machine in my gym, which says around 13%.

Another thing. My bench (102.5kg), DL (165kg), press (75kg) and PC (85kg) are going up but I feel really stalled out at 110kg for squats. That seems a little out of whack with the other numbers. I was thinking about maybe doing lots of heavy doubles as opposed to 5,5,3,3,1,1 pyramids to help bump the numbers?

Any other suggestions?

Most likely it's a form problem, 110 is definitely out of whack with your other lifts (which are looking pretty damn good!) you should post a form check.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Quick question

Even better are the shitty 8 dollar Wal-Mart knockoffs. You can beat them to hell and feel no guilt because hey, 8 bucks!

This discussion has been closed.