As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Play D&D at PAX Prime 2012

PAX_RPGA_CoordinatorPAX_RPGA_Coordinator Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
That's right we're back again for another year of non-stop D&D action over in the Annex. Check our website and this thread for more details.

PAX Prime 2012 Events

RPGs

D&D Learn-to-Play - 2 Hours
Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. Fri: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sat: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sun: 11am and 1pm
D&D Encounters: Council of Spiders - 2 Hours
Play the first encounter in the latest D&D Encounters season. For the first time in a season, play the bad guys – drow and their allies! Create your own character or a character can be provided. Fri: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sat: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sun: 11am and 1pm
D&D Special: The Dawn of Night - 2 Hours
Lead the assault on the Temple of Lathander in Dagger Falls as you play drow looking to further Lolth’s aims to dominate the surface world and strike a blow for darkness! Characters are provided.Fri: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sat: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sun: 11am and 1pm
D&D Next Playtest – 4 Hours
Try a playtest of the next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game at PAX Prime. Play in an adventure with characters provided, and see a glimpse of future of the D&D game! Players of any editions of the game are welcome to participate. All participants are required to opt-in to the Wizards of the Coast playtest agreement.Fri 7 pm only
DM’s Challenge: Vault of the Drow – 4 Hours
The drow houses vie for power, maneuvering to gain Lolth’s favor and position themselves in control of Menzoberranzan. You are one of their agents! This DM’s Challenge is a special one-time event running only at PAX Prime. DMs create an adventure in which players take the roles of drow and their allies in a 9th-level D&D 4th Edition adventure. Rate your play experience to determine the best adventure of the evening! Characters are provided. Sat 7 pm only

Miniatures and Board Games

D&D Board Game Open Play - 1-2 Hours
Want to play a D&D game without a DM? Do you like cooperative games? Or maybe fun reprint of a vintage D&D boardgame? How about head-to-head Euro-style games? Or strategic wargames? Come with your friends to play any of our D&D-themed board games all weekend long! Choose from The Legend of Drizzt, Dungeon!, Conquest of Nerath or Lords of Waterdeep! Fri: 11am-11pm / Sat: 11am-11pm / Sun: 11am-3pm
Dungeon Command Open Play - 1 Hour
Choose between drow, goblins, and hero factions and learn to play the new D&D miniatures skirmish game! Rules will be taught if necessary. Fri: 11am-11pm / Sat: 11am-11pm / Sun: 11am-3pm
Lords of Waterdeep Tournament - 2 Hours/Round
Come try out the newest offering in the D&D board game line with Lords of Waterdeep! This Euro-style resource game casts the players as the Masked Lords of Waterdeep, each recruiting adventurers to complete various quests and achieve their own ends. The tournament consists of a 2-hour entry round, with the top 25 scoring players advancing to a 2-hour final round to determine the PAX Prime champion! Winner and finalists receive prizes.
Entry Rounds – Fri: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sat: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Semi-Finals – Sun 11 am / Finals – Sun 1 pm
Dungeon Command Open Tournament
Test your mettle as you receive one Dungeon Command Faction Pack and go head-to-head against other players in this first ever convention tournament! Play as heroes from Heart of Cormyr or drow from Sting of Lolth and compete for fantastic prizes over 4 Swiss rounds of play. The top 4 players all receive a Tyranny of Goblins Faction Pack! (And if you don’t know how to play, you can learn the game throughout the weekend at the Dungeon Command demos in the same area.)
Fee: $20
Sun 11am-3pm

More information at our website --
https://sites.google.com/site/ddatpaxprime/

As always we are looking for folks who can DM a D&D4E table to help as volunteers. Want to help out? Email me at comixguru (at) yahoo (dot) com. We have a limited number 3-day badges for those who commit to 12 or more hours.

-Robert Altomare
Senior D&D Events GM @ PAX Prime

Robert Altomare
PAX Prime Senior GM since 2007
Moe Fwacky on

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    i drooled a little, can't wait to try out D&D Next :O!

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    What level of DnD Next familiarity is required to get in on that goodness? I've opted into the playtest agreement and read the packets, but my gaming crew can't get off the ground (for a variety of reasons) on actually playing so it's all just theory to me right now.

• PAX_RPGA_CoordinatorPAX_RPGA_Coordinator Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    What level of DnD Next familiarity is required to get in on that goodness?

RPG experience of any sort/edition is a nice to have. It's a new experience for anyone. Experience with D&D concepts of stats, skills, and rolls-to-hit are all that are really needed. If you have a 'gaming group' you're more than qualified.

Robert Altomare
    What level of DnD Next familiarity is required to get in on that goodness?

RPG experience of any sort/edition is a nice to have. It's a new experience for anyone. Experience with D&D concepts of stats, skills, and rolls-to-hit are all that are really needed. If you have a 'gaming group' you're more than qualified.

Yeah, you may think that but I'm the "uninformed one" who came into our gaming group in 3rd ed. They still mock me relentlessly about my lack of knowledge of the arcane bits ;). But yeah, I think I can handle "Stats, skills and Rolls to hit."

So will there be a pre-sign up for this? Or should I just block out a ton of time before Friday at 7PM to sit in a line waiting?

This will be a first come - first served event with a line. Check in with D&D Event HQ for when the line will open early in the day.

Robert Altomare
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I'll definitely be entering the DM challenge event! I enjoyed it last year, although my adventure wasn't as exciting as it should have been...

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    This would be great for me as a beginner. I've been wanting to get into a game of D&D, but it's kind of hard to do when no one wants to play or you have a group of 2 ( 1 of which has the experience of being a DM)

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Yeah! This sounds fun. I've been missing D+D since my group split up due to scheduling issues...

So how does sign up work? Do we sign up at PAX or can we sign up on the forums here?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • LegionnaireLegionnaire Registered User regular
    Ive always been interested in playing, but ive never tried. What sort of knowledge should I walk in with in order to play with the learning group efficiently?

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Ive always been interested in playing, but ive never tried. What sort of knowledge should I walk in with in order to play with the learning group efficiently?

Your imagination. Just try to put yourself into the world being painted by the DM and you're half way there. A healthy dose of humour doesn't go amiss either. Remember; you're playing a game, so try not to take things too much to heart.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    is there an age limit to any of these? If not, please sign me up for the learn to play DnD 4e. Also, where will this be hosted?

Zoroark173 wrote: »
    is there an age limit to any of these? If not, please sign me up for the learn to play DnD 4e. Also, where will this be hosted?

Over at the linked Website, he notes that it's likely in the annex (but not solidified this year. In fact I've hard several people claim several things in the annex.)
    In either case, I don't think there's a pre-sign up (at least there's not one for the DnD Next Playtest.) But the learn to Play 4e goes on all weekend (leaving you lots of options!)

As far as I know we're back in the Annex in the basement, but we'll see how things pan out. I never know for sure until I see the space layouts.

Robert Altomare
    Zoroark173 wrote: »

No age limit, the content we provide is appropriate for all ages. The Learn to Play D&D event is always a lot of fun -- I try to put the best and most-helpful DMs in this area.

Robert Altomare
  • PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    Hi Robert,

Can you go into a bit more detail about the DM's Challenge. The book that covers Menzoberranzan dosn't come out till August 21, which is a very tight timescale to create something that fits into the setting, but is still polished enough that people enjoy the adventure we create.

Are there other books I can pick up, or information I could find that would give me enough detail to create an adventure in this setting?

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Count me in once again for the DM's Challenge, king's gotta defend his crown after all...!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I'm down for one or more of these.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Haven't played Dungeons and Dragons since high school, I might drop in on this!

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    All the PAX stuff is starting to come together now, huh? Learning how to play D&D is one of the things I'm most looking forward to at the show.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • KarjakKarjak Registered User new member
    Is there somewhere to register for events, or is it all sign up day of?

A friend of mine and myself would love to sign up as players for the DM event.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm fairly certain all the officially run D&D events are first come first serve. Not sure if there will be signups, or just lines, but there's no pre-reg.

I asked upthread and got this:

This will be a first come - first served event with a line. Check in with D&D Event HQ for when the line will open early in the day.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Ugh, this is gonna be messy then....

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Last year, during the times I went, it was not messy at all. They made a queue and numbered you off and sent your group to the next available table. At least for the One-Adventure tables. I think you have to sign up if you are doing the DM Challenge.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • FugugaipanFugugaipan Registered User new member
    Actually it was very well organised and the flow of games happened quickly and efficiently. The only hickup was that some GMs renegged on their obligations.

Yes, with the exception of signing up to compete for the DM's Challenge, everything is first come-first serve. If you want to run a table in the DM's Challenge, email me at comixguru (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Robert Altomare
    NEW EVENT --

Dungeon Command Open Tournament
    Room: The Dungeon (lower level of the WSCTC Conference Center)
    Time: Sunday 11 am – 3 pm
    Entry Fee: $20

Test your mettle as you receive one Dungeon Command Faction Pack and go head-to-head against other players in this first ever convention tournament! Play as heroes from Heart of Cormyr or drow from Sting of Lolth and compete for fantastic prizes over 4 Swiss rounds of play. The top 4 players all receive a Tyranny of Goblins Faction Pack! (And if you don’t know how to play, you can learn the game throughout the weekend at the Dungeon Command demos in the same area.)

----

Space is limited for this one, 32 spots available. You can of course learn to play Dungeon Command during our open play - Fri & Sat 11am-11pm (last start, 10pm).

Robert Altomare
  • TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    Greetings!
    My first Pax (and the last gaming con I attended was GENCON in 1984,(yes I am a "mature" gamer) Looking to get back into D&D as life is giving some time now, have not played since 2nd ed, so would love to get into the D&D next play test, any suggestions on when I should line up to make it in, 2 hours? more? I will hit up the learn to play and the other play sessions as well.
    Thanks and looking forward to seeing the grand PAX! :)

• MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    I've been reading through all the books, trying to teach myself, but there is only so much you can learn without actually playing. I'll definitely be there for the learn to play and at least the first module

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • nebulasoupnebulasoup Chilliwack, British Columbia, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's my first time at PAX, and have been playing D&D since I was a teenager. Glad to see there is the playtest, as well as learning to play 4th ED (I've only ever plays 3.5). Also, looking foreword to meeting like-minded geeky type peoples!

edited August 2012
    We're having a little contest on Saturday night to see who can bring the most kick-ass, fun table of D&D4E to the convention. Here's the details. To sign-up to run a table and compete, email me at comixguru@yahoo.com. To play and rate DMs, show up in lower level of Annex/Conference Center (aka "The Dungeon") well before the Saturday 7pm start time.

PAX Prime 2012 DM Challenge: Vault of the Drow!

Participation Details -- Final

DMs must create an adventure suitable for five 9th-level characters (actual group size may vary from 4-6 players) using the D&D rules, with a spotlight on themes, organizations, and foes featured in the Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue source book (due in stores 8/21/2012).

The adventure should play in about 4-5 hours, including time for the players to review characters. You should write approximately 3 tactical encounters for your adventure; you must write at least 2 tactical encounters, but no more than 4. Tactical encounters can be fights or other deadly challenges (like traps). Levels for the encounters should not be lower than 8 or higher than 12; you should endeavor to write a total of about 28 levels' worth of tactical encounters (that would parse out into two 9th-level fights and one 10th-level fight).

Your adventure should be set somewhere in or around the drow city of Menzoberranzan, as described in Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue, and should feature one or more drow houses as described in that book. You can develop any story you’d like, but you should use monsters and foes from both Monster Vault books and the Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue. Add exploration and roleplaying encounters to your adventure to really make it come to life beyond the tactical encounters.

Materials
    You are expected to provide drow and drow-allied player characters for players to use for your adventure. The characters should all be 9th level, and you should bring 6 different characters. You can incorporate evil characters into this adventure.

Make sure to account for a play group of 4, 5, or 6 characters when you write your characters and the adventure.

You are required to bring all materials with you that you'll need to run your adventure - maps/tiles, minis/tokens, player character sheets, etc. If you’d like to use D&D Fortune Cards, you can bring cards and develop a use for them in-game (draw from a central deck, integrate them as boons earned during the adventure, etc.).

Judging
    Each player at your table will be given a form to complete after they finish playing. On the form, they'll be asked to rate you on the following categories:

Presentation
    Story
    Challenges
    Characters
    Fun Factor

Rewards
    All DMs participating will receive a bit of swag from D&D HQ. The top scoring DMs will receive sweet prizes, and the acknowledgement that they run a truly awesome game of D&D!

To sign-up to run a table and compete, email me at comixguru@yahoo.com.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
    There will be throngs of D&D players, GMs, and newbies downstairs in the Annex/Conference center the entire convention. Some people come down there and don't leave the whole show. :)

Robert Altomare
    Timoon wrote: »
    Greetings!
    My first Pax (and the last gaming con I attended was GENCON in 1984,(yes I am a "mature" gamer) Looking to get back into D&D as life is giving some time now, have not played since 2nd ed, so would love to get into the D&D next play test, any suggestions on when I should line up to make it in, 2 hours? more? I will hit up the learn to play and the other play sessions as well.

There will be a lot of demand for the D&D Next Playtest. We will likely open the line at 4pm on Friday afternoon.

Robert Altomare
    Timoon wrote: »
    Greetings!

There will be a lot of demand for the D&D Next Playtest. We will likely open the line at 4pm on Friday afternoon.

Well there goes dinner on Friday for me. Do you have an estimated number of spaces available?
    Also where will the line open. Last year I was unaware of a Lower level to the Anex, so information how to get there would be awesome.

edited August 2012
    For D&D Next we're limited largely by space. At most we will have about ~130-150 spots. Line will most likely be in the main gaming area.

The Conference Center (used to be the Annex) is at the north-ish corner of 8th and Pike, address is 800 Pike. It is easiest to find it by going to that intersection and spotting and finding the two-story glass foyer on the north corner. The other corners are a Fedex/Kinkos (south-ish), a Convenience Store (east-ish), and a Parking Garage (west-ish).

Once inside the Annex find the stairs or the elevator down. The street level or main floor is Magic CCG play. If you walk back into the Magic area you will see a large set of stairs leading down to your left. It's way back there... keep going... further... a little further... now look left.

Hey! We don't call it the "dungeon" for nothing. :)

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
  • RandorammaRandoramma Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity why only Friday for D&D next? With so much demand and many people only able to get Sat day passes why no Friday + Sat? During the Con, if there is little to no demand for 4e on Sat Sun, will there be some D&D Next opening up mayhaps?!

PAX Prime '09 '10 '12 '13 '14
    For D&D Next we're limited largely by space. At most we will have about ~130-150 spots. Line will most likely be in the main gaming area.

The Conference Center (used to be the Annex) is at the north-ish corner of 8th and Pike, address is 800 Pike. It is easiest to find it by going to that intersection and spotting and finding the two-story glass foyer on the north corner. The other corners are a Fedex/Kinkos (south-ish), a Convenience Store (east-ish), and a Parking Garage (west-ish).

Once inside the Annex find the stairs or the elevator down. The street level or main floor is Magic CCG play. If you walk back into the Magic area you will see a large set of stairs leading down to your left. It's way back there... keep going... further... a little further... now look left.

Hey! We don't call it the "dungeon" for nothing. :)

Thanks. I knew where the annex was (I spent some time in halo fest last year ;) ) but seriously, I thought all the WotC presence in the annex was Magic CCG (oops.) Now I have learned.

Randoramma wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity why only Friday for D&D next? With so much demand and many people only able to get Sat day passes why no Friday + Sat? During the Con, if there is little to no demand for 4e on Sat Sun, will there be some D&D Next opening up mayhaps?!

Yes, where possible we will be adding some D&D Next tables throughout the event. No promises, as we're mobbed, but keep an eye on Twitter.

Robert Altomare
    Randoramma wrote: »

Yes, where possible we will be adding some D&D Next tables throughout the event. No promises, as we're mobbed, but keep an eye on Twitter.

Could you tell me more about this twitter? Because this is my attempt at a "limited lines" PAX which means (sadly) I'll have to scrap DnD next if I'm looking at a potentially 4 hour wait. But I'll keep an eye on twitter, but don't see a twitter handle anywhere.

edited August 2012
    Could you tell me more about this twitter? Because this is my attempt at a "limited lines" PAX which means (sadly) I'll have to scrap DnD next if I'm looking at a potentially 4 hour wait. But I'll keep an eye on twitter, but don't see a twitter handle anywhere.

I have no additional details yet. I will post the twitter tag I will use at the show early next week... and will of cource use standard PAX hash tags.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
This discussion has been closed.