As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hmmm so hopped on and was playing my lvl 15 archer some this morning.

Few questions with the overhauled systems.

Should I be soloing even leveled mobs or a few levels below? I've been solo'ing evened levelled mobs fine. Choose the leve level adjustments that closest match your level. For instance, if your level 15, choose +6 on a level 10 leve

When do people start partying up (20+, 30+)? at least 30+ from what I have seen.

What level does this grand company stuff start up? level 25 I believe.

Any reason for me to go to the other capital cities now or just stay near the one I'm at and keep leveling? I'd say level for now and then you'll be hopping about Eorza for the grand company quests.

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Trying to login to the lodestone it tells me:
    "There are no characters on this FINAL FANTASY XIV service account. Use of the Lodestone requires an account with at least one character."

Granted I haven't played since September 2010, did they erase characters or something?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • burningthoughtburningthought EorzeaRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Trying to login to the lodestone it tells me:
    "There are no characters on this FINAL FANTASY XIV service account. Use of the Lodestone requires an account with at least one character."

Granted I haven't played since September 2010, did they erase characters or something?

The game isn't free to play, so you'll need to reactivate your account and character in order to login. If you've already done that then submit a support ticket to find out what's going on.

Square-Enix will not and have not wipe any characters. Characters made in 1.X will carry over to 2.0. The only thing is that once 2.0 releases there's going to be new character customization options, and new races so they're letting people re-customize their characters for the new patch.

FFXIV doesn't have Game Cards right? Kinda hesitant on putting my CC info on the site just to resub. How much is it to resub? I'm not seeing it anywhere on the account management page.

Riokenn wrote: »
    FFXIV doesn't have Game Cards right? Kinda hesitant on putting my CC info on the site just to resub. How much is it to resub? I'm not seeing it anywhere on the account management page.

You don't have to setup billing through ultimate pay or paypal, SE now lets you directly subscribe via CC/Debit. It's $12.99/month. However, no as of present SE hasn't released game cards for either XI or XIV.

Here's a link for more billing info: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

I wasn't refering to Ultimate Pay or Paypal. I meant putting my CC info directly to SE. But I might as well suck it up and see what things changed.

The link you gave me was the billing info when 2.0 comes out. I believe this current info for billing.

$6.99 a month? Why not.
    Can people still get Legacy title or is that over? If so I might just bump that up to $17.97.

• Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Its currently $9.99 USD for the game and 1 character slot.
    Returning Players
    Players who played before January 5, 2012 and wish to resume playing again will need to register for a 90-day subscription before Saturday, June 30, 2012 in order to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

Hunter_Killers on
    4efe575fea51ec35.png
    How much is 90 days? Its not telling me before I put in all my info.

Ugh, why did I go back to WoW? I should have reactivated this!

I would guess $29.97. I don't believe theres any reduced pricing for bulk currently. I'm still using UltimatePay and Crysta.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Do you actually need to register for a 90 day one or can you just do 3 individual months?

EDIT: it's $26.97 for 90 days btw. You get $1/mo by doing it in bulk.

Just changed mine to that since I was going to anyway.

EDIT2: but I had just paid for 1mo last week. I hope it doesn't cause any problems. :(

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

It can be individual months, just as long as you've had 90 days subscribed since Jan 5th.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
    Actually, I think to register as legacy, you need to choose a 90 day sub before the 30th of this month if you havnt already subbed 90 days since it became p2p again. I got my legacy confirmed on Monday, since that was the 3rd month I'd paid for.
    After the 30th, they're taking down the 90 day sub option as well.

PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm kinda tempted to pick up a 3 month sub to get the legacy stuff while I can, just because 2.0 looks compelling. However, after having shelled out for the CE on day one I'm kind of wary of just handing my money to this game again.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    Man, they really tuned xp gain or something. My friend and I duo'd from 15-20 in like 2 hours? Definitely not like the dunes :o

So... as an archer.. soloing kinda sucks since I can't easily self-combo. All my combo skills say I need to be at least 8 yalms (lol did they really need fake measurement system?) from my target for it to be valid in combos :(

I'm assuming they've said old-school style skillchains are coming back and the self-combos are the first step in that direction? Man it makes me excited.

Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
    Man, they really tuned xp gain or something. My friend and I duo'd from 15-20 in like 2 hours? Definitely not like the dunes :o

So... as an archer.. soloing kinda sucks since I can't easily self-combo. All my combo skills say I need to be at least 8 yalms (lol did they really need fake measurement system?) from my target for it to be valid in combos :(

I'm assuming they've said old-school style skillchains are coming back and the self-combos are the first step in that direction? Man it makes me excited.

Nope. Battle regimens or a system similar to it is coming back when 2.0 launches. Archer can suck but you do get shadowbind and other skills to keep that distance.

Yeah they really did tune up the xp with xp chains and link bonuses. The real game starts at 50, 1-49 is just to get you acquainted with the class. You should be able to go 1-50 in 2-3 days, with levels really starting to pickup around 45. You can do some levequests to get you a level every 1-2 hours if you're good though.

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    So, I'm finally getting into this game, but what server do most PAers play on?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    Not sure right now. There's at least 4 of us on Masamune. But when 2.0 hits I'll definitely be switching to a more European populated server so my group finding isn't limited to the early hours of the morning.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited June 2012
    It can be individual months, just as long as you've had 90 days subscribed since Jan 5th.
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    Actually, I think to register as legacy, you need to choose a 90 day sub before the 30th of this month if you havnt already subbed 90 days since it became p2p again. I got my legacy confirmed on Monday, since that was the 3rd month I'd paid for.

I contacted support and they said they just updated their faq to clarify since a lot of people are asking:
    I have paid for 90 cumulative days of subscription since the start of billing; does that mean I qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    Yes. You can confirm your Legacy status using one of three methods: We will periodically send out notification emails to those that qualify for the Legacy campaign.
    The Legacy logo will be displayed when logging into the Square Enix Account Management System and visiting the "FINAL FANTASY XIV" service account section found within the "Select Service" menu.
    The Legacy logo will be displayed in the upper left corner of the Character Select screen when logging into the game.

I've paid for 30 cumulative days of subscription since the start of billing, what do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    You will need to pay a further 60 days of subscription before the start of the version 2.0 beta test to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

I have paid for 60 cumulative days of subscription since the start of billing, what do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    You will need to pay a further 30 days of subscription before the start of the version 2.0 beta test to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

I played before the start of billing and I am no longer in my 30-day Free Trial period. What do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    You will need to register a 90-day subscription option to your account before June 30th, 2012 to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.
    I started playing in May 2012 and I am currently in my 30-day Free Trial period. What do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    You will need to register a 90-day subscription option to your account before June 30th, 2012 to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

So long story short @Hunter_Killers and @S-Starwind is right; you have to just have paid for 90days or more by the time 2.0 beta starts, via whatever method; and the 90 day option is just being removed tomorrow (I have no idea why)

So in my situation, I have already paid for 30 days and have applied the 90day payment to my account for the next re-up, I'm good; I'll have 90 days fully paid for with the next cycle. For anyone else currently in their free trial, or are under 90 days paid, you'll want to switch it to 90 days before tomorrow to ensure you get 90 days total paid at once to qualify for the legacy pricing.

The Dude With Herpes on

I contacted support and they said they just updated their faq to clarify since a lot of people are asking:
    I have paid for 90 cumulative days of subscription since the start of billing; does that mean I qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    Yes. You can confirm your Legacy status using one of three methods: We will periodically send out notification emails to those that qualify for the Legacy campaign.
    The Legacy logo will be displayed when logging into the Square Enix Account Management System and visiting the "FINAL FANTASY XIV" service account section found within the "Select Service" menu.
    The Legacy logo will be displayed in the upper left corner of the Character Select screen when logging into the game.

I've paid for 30 cumulative days of subscription since the start of billing, what do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    You will need to pay a further 60 days of subscription before the start of the version 2.0 beta test to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

I have paid for 60 cumulative days of subscription since the start of billing, what do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    You will need to pay a further 30 days of subscription before the start of the version 2.0 beta test to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign.

I played before the start of billing and I am no longer in my 30-day Free Trial period. What do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
    I started playing in May 2012 and I am currently in my 30-day Free Trial period. What do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?

So long story short @Hunter_Killers and @S-Starwind is right; you have to just have paid for 90days or more by the time 2.0 beta starts, via whatever method; and the 90 day option is just being removed tomorrow (I have no idea why)

So in my situation, I have already paid for 30 days and have applied the 90day payment to my account for the next re-up, I'm good; I'll have 90 days fully paid for with the next cycle. For anyone else currently in their free trial, or are under 90 days paid, you'll want to switch it to 90 days before tomorrow to ensure you get 90 days total paid at once to qualify for the legacy pricing.
    GE: Speaking of Beta, will there be downtime between current game and 2.0?

Yoshida: What’s going to happen is that after the current version is finished and storyline over, the servers will go down and the 2.0 beta will start up. We want to make sure we don’t make the same mistake as before, and want to be sure we have enough time not only for the beta test but also to get feedback from the players and leave enough time to implement that feedback. Also, keep in mind that transferring the characters to the new servers and systems could take up to a month. So that process will be running while the beta test is in place. There can’t be a launch immediately after the current servers are shut down.

They're taking away the 90 day sub so they don't have to give out time without service refunds for partial days while the servers are down for the 2.0 transition. I got the info from this interview: ffxiv.gamerescape.com/2012/06/07/e3-2012-interview-summons-chocobos-train-tracks-and-rocks/

• king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    So at lower levels. Should I be using my materia? As I'm breaking gear down and then making new gear (for the cheap stuff anyway) is it worth slotting that stuff in for low levels? or just sell it? or hold on to it?

Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
    So at lower levels. Should I be using my materia? As I'm breaking gear down and then making new gear (for the cheap stuff anyway) is it worth slotting that stuff in for low levels? or just sell it? or hold on to it?

It's not worth doing anything to lower level gear, gear up just enough to get by, since the path to 50 is a very short one. Save your money for Lv. 50~ stuff. The lower tier materia are usually useless, T2 and T3 materia are useful depending on which set they are.

So, a little confused. A friend of mine started a new character so I took up a sword and put myself to gladiator so we could leve.
    Now the consensus for gladiator point allotments seems to be mind and strength, since both of these give sword damage increases.
    What about Dex though? It has block rate and parry. Would these not be useful for a gladiator? The only other classes I see carrying as shield are THM and CON, and they aren't using that sword for tanking.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    So, a little confused. A friend of mine started a new character so I took up a sword and put myself to gladiator so we could leve.
    Now the consensus for gladiator point allotments seems to be mind and strength, since both of these give sword damage increases.
    What about Dex though? It has block rate and parry. Would these not be useful for a gladiator? The only other classes I see carrying as shield are THM and CON, and they aren't using that sword for tanking.

Point allotments are very limited, so mind and strength would increase your auto-attack and some skills if they have modifiers for both of those stats. For the most part with GLA you'd want to buff up VIT, DEF, and HP. I wouldn't waste point allotment on DEX because the block and parry rates are incredibly low and always have diminished returns.

I do believe that PLD AF augments the block rate though, so it'd be buffed through equipment. So stay the course with MND/STR until you hit 50, then you may end up resetting those stats for better endgame tanking.

I don't seem to be taking much damage as a gladiator so I guess it's not a huge concern. Just trying to get my head around why archers were the only one using the stat that gives block and parry.

Still going Lancer as main class but what is the best way to go about getting new armour? Leve quests sometimes provide but that's random stuff.
    Is there an easy way to search for equipment that is suitable for lancer?

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    In market wards search under armorfitters row/ tailors row. lancers will be cotton at first, then leather, then probably around 30 you start with mail and ride that thru till 50. I think a lot of the hestpieces will be considered war garb

Also if you go to mooglebox.com you can search for armor there, just pick a body part and sort by level. I can make you any of the cloth and metal gear you'd need, unfortunately can't help you with leather

I don't seem to be taking much damage as a gladiator so I guess it's not a huge concern. Just trying to get my head around why archers were the only one using the stat that gives block and parry.

Still going Lancer as main class but what is the best way to go about getting new armour? Leve quests sometimes provide but that's random stuff.
    Is there an easy way to search for equipment that is suitable for lancer?

Point allotment is useless, the amount of increase you get from playing favorites with a stat is negligible at best. Just pump Mind/Strength for auto-attack.

Armor wise, don't bother spending huge amounts of money till you hit level cap or have AF. You level way to fast to worry about blowing tons of money at level 30. You'll outpace the gear way too quickly. Just find something to fill each slot and coast your way to AF. At level cap you can worry about gear and materia.

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    How many people are playing on Masamune? Did you remake the Link Shell? I had 1000 crysta in my account, so i'm going to play for at least a month to keep myself occupied until GW2. Since that crysta counts towards legacy I might even drop another $20 down to qualify for it just to get the mount/lower sub fee in 2.0

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • GooglywormGooglyworm Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    There are a few of us on Masamune, don't think there is a linkshell though. Hit 50 on my monk. If anyone needs help with job quests etc, shout me up. Got a few grand company quests that I'm needing a partner for as well.

Googlyworm on
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So I have been playing this for a few days:

To put this into perspective, I have not played since launch. I quit after the first free month after launch because of how terrible things were.

With that said, this game is actually fun now. It is a functional MMO. I strongly encourage anyone like me who quit early to pick this up again and play it for at least one month. All the changes they have made to this game have molded it into an MMO that by today's standards, imo, is acceptable.

With the promises of 2.0 coming within the first few months of 2013, now is an excellent time to get back into the game.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/img/screenshots/FINALFANTASY_XIV_20_PUB_04.jpg Does the game actually look like this now?

edit: also, where can I go to read up on the changes that HAVE occurred, and what is to come?

Topia on
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    Topia wrote: »
    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/img/screenshots/FINALFANTASY_XIV_20_PUB_04.jpg Does the game actually look like this now?

edit: also, where can I go to read up on the changes that HAVE occurred, and what is to come?

The game doesn't look like that yet, that is a 2.0 screenshot. The game still very much resembles what it looked like at release. As far as looking like the dragoon in the picture, its pretty easy to get the Artifact armor he is wearing. However his weapon Gae Bolg, you shouldn't expect to get unless you're in a top tier linkshell, it requires a very lengthy quest that has you doing every single endgame in the game several times.

As far as guide, while not specifically a 2.0 guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EjwG7EfLcJeWAqWud_KF_Y1xnBhmGmi0o_CNVcWfQWw/edit?pli=1
    is probably one of the best returning player guides with a smattering of 2.0 links, I suggest anyone really interested in returning to give it a read.

Robes wrote: »
    So I have been playing this for a few days:

To put this into perspective, I have not played since launch. I quit after the first free month after launch because of how terrible things were.

With that said, this game is actually fun now. It is a functional MMO. I strongly encourage anyone like me who quit early to pick this up again and play it for at least one month. All the changes they have made to this game have molded it into an MMO that by today's standards, imo, is acceptable.

With the promises of 2.0 coming within the first few months of 2013, now is an excellent time to get back into the game.

It's starting Alpha/Beta in September with a full release sometime in October of 2012. PS3 is the only version that may come out after the new year.

edited July 2012
    So, apparently even if you choose a 90day sub prior to June 30; if it didn't charge prior to then, it is invalid; they're not charging 90+ day subs anymore.

I did a 30day one, and another should renew mid august for my 90 paid days prior to beta for Legacy. (my first 30 paid was mid june)

Hopefully. Gonna be pretty bummed if not.

The Dude With Herpes on

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    At random: NPC who gives you the Gobbue horn is being removed with the next patch at the 'end of the month', so get to level 30 and get it while you can. Going to be one of those pre-2.0 only things.

steam_sig.png
    What would be a reasonable expectation of getting a job to 30? I think I have Gladiator? at like...10.

• baconchocolatebaconchocolate Registered User regular
    I haven't played since december-ish, however now that I have some free time, an hour or two here and there, think it's a good time to play again or wait for 2.0?

I took lancer from 23 to 25 in about a hour and 40 maybe? was just doing leves solo, so not even being efficient about it. so probably pretty easy if you concentrate.

steam_sig.png
    Just to bump this again, I guess the patch is coming out on the 26th. So only a couple of days if you're really interested in picking up that unique mount. I know I'll be grinding for it. Need my uniques, yo.

steam_sig.png
    Managed to happen across the NPC giving Gobbue before I'd even started the grand company quests to work toward my chocobo. Was amused by the big lug, until I couldn't really see where I was going too well while using him. Now that I have my chocobo he is just used for amusement.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    How the hell do you get gil early on? I just bought a dagger that cost 2k, when I only have 4k; and the level 13 sword costs like 8k, and each battleleve only rewards about 250 gil.

:(

Is there a more efficient way to level lower levels than battleleves? Apparently I can do 99 (well, 91 now) so...yeah.