As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Controller issues (HELP!)

DirtyDirty Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, so I got my brand new PS3, hooked up with HDMI for glorious 1080p yadda yadda yadda.

So I can't play my fucking system without these weird controller issues. At first, everything seems fine, I can move around the XMB, when I press X to load Ninja Gaiden Sigma, everything is okay. Then the HDD message pops up and I have to press X again. Well to bad X doesn't work anymore. If I plug and unplug my USB cable, it gets me past that screen. Then X works fine, I use X to get past the title screen and select my save file, but then X won't work to confirm the loading of said file. Plug, unplug, save loads.

Once I'm actually in the game, all the controls work. The buttons aren't broken, they just don't work during:

-The HDD message screen (can't advance)
-The PS button menu (neither X or O work, so I can't quit the game, turn off/reassign controller, or exit the PS menu)
-The confirm save game load screen (can't confirm nor cancel)

Anyone ever heard of this?

Dirty on

• KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    Okay, so I got my brand new PS3, hooked up with HDMI for glorious 1080p yadda yadda yadda.

So I can't play my fucking system without these weird controller issues. At first, everything seems fine, I can move around the XMB, when I press X to load Ninja Gaiden Sigma, everything is okay. Then the HDD message pops up and I have to press X again. Well to bad X doesn't work anymore. If I plug and unplug my USB cable, it gets me past that screen. Then X works fine, I use X to get past the title screen and select my save file, but then X won't work to confirm the loading of said file. Plug, unplug, save loads.

Once I'm actually in the game, all the controls work. The buttons aren't broken, they just don't work during:

-The HDD message screen (can't advance)
    -The PS button menu (neither X or O work, so I can't quit the game, turn off/reassign controller, or exit the PS menu)
    -The confirm save game load screen (can't confirm nor cancel)

Anyone ever heard of this?

are you plugged in or wireless?

also, have you updated your ps3 with the newest firmware?

Ketherial on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am running the most recent firmware as of Saturday. 1.82, I think. The controller issue occurs whether I am plugged or unplugged. But for some reason, the action of plugging and unplugging the cable gets me through "Press X to continue" sections. My first thought was that the buttons were broken, but they work flawlessly during the game (I have no problem dispatching hordes of Ninja).

I was thinking about backing up my save files and reformatting or something, but I don't know if it will help. It does seem to be a software problem.

Dirty on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i know this is kind of dumb to ask but have you tried/done these?

charge the controller to 100% charged?
    Are there 4 lights 1 light or no lights on the top of your controller when the X button fails?
    When the X button will not work did you try hitting the PS button?

Artoria on