As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain's log, Stardate 20130527 Romulan expansion is now live. [STO]

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Currently # 4245 in the queue :D

Think I'll give it a few days and try again.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Once I get in, I'll try to look into both Fed and KDF fleets and their bases. I think it might be best to use Fleet Mail if it's working to help decide what stuff we should go with first.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Right, projects going. Someone already funded the windows fed side it'll be done shortly. We need about 39 more fleet marks for the first Tac mission the we should be able to go to the Starbase.

Starbase fleet defence is really fun. About 20 player ships with tons of Klingon attackers in various waves. We also tried to Tholian outside boss with four of us since the instance system is borked right now and the fifth couldn't get to us. The tracker guys are annoying as the pull you into the acid. We really need to stick together to target them when they grab someone. Also after the second set of portals open most of the ground drops away into the acid so stay near the console after that second set. We learned a lot and could probably do it if we try again.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Wish I could help with this but my internet seems to be acting up, letting me connect to certain sites and games but not others, endlessly loading. I couldn't connect to here or properly connect with the STO launcher to DL the patch until just a few minutes ago. Not sure what's causing it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Wish I could help with this but my internet seems to be acting up, letting me connect to certain sites and games but not others, endlessly loading. I couldn't connect to here or properly connect with the STO launcher to DL the patch until just a few minutes ago. Not sure what's causing it.

No problem we are good on all materials for all current projects except fleet marks.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    I'll be on later. When I tried earlier I couldn't get in and figured I'd give it a few hours. I should be able to but in some funds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Waft wrote: »
    I believe the highest rank is the only one that can start projects, buy provisions, and contribute resources so some tinkering with permissions will be needed. I think I got the base permissions all working klink side but just shout if something needs adjustment. I don't think I have as high Fed permissions so can't do anything over there.
    Mordrack wrote: »
    I'll be on later. When I tried earlier I couldn't get in and figured I'd give it a few hours. I should be able to but in some funds.

Oddly, everything is funded. The big challenge is going to be fleet marks, which I think we can only get from fleet activities.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I got in and had a few minutes, enough time to do a daily on the starbase itself for five marks.

I can see this consuming a lot of my time, when I have it.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Will probably play some later tonight.

We need fleet marks? What do I do to earn those?

• Options
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I got in and had a few minutes, enough time to do a daily on the starbase itself for five marks.

I can see this consuming a lot of my time, when I have it.
    You may have been the first person on the Starbase. It wasn't in a state we could go to earlier.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    You know, I may live to horribly regret saying this but so far I am really enjoying Season 6 !

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Really does seem like they put together a good set of missions, both ground and space.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah we just did a full five captain PA crew through both hard Tholian missions and several Fleet missions. Super fun. The interior Tholian hard mission has you blowing the warp core on a reverse engineered Odyssey class before the Terran Empire can get it back while fending off huge waves of tholians. You get to use bunches of consoles to activate stuff like a broken holo deck and the phasers on a crashed shuttle to assist you.

The other hard one isn't bad so long as everyone back against the far wall after the second set of portals to prevent the pullers from dragging you into the acid lake.

Very impressed with this season stuff.

Also everyone on my team was awesome. Hope I didnt seem too bossy.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Math and you or "How I learned not to Count to Potato"

CP to Zen conversion = 1.25

You had 2,000 cp? you now have 2,500 zen (2,000x1.25 = 2,500)

1 cp cost 345 Dill? you now SHOULD have 1 zen costing 276 Dill (345 divided by 1.25 = 276)

example 4000 CP is now 5000 zen, yesterday if you bought 4000 cp it would have cost you 345x4000 = 1,380,000 dill

today if you tried to buy 5000 zen (4000 cp) it would cost you 303x5000 1,515,000 dill

Recall that 5,000 Zen = 4,000 CP

why? people can't do math.

here's an example RandomJoe@Mouthbreather "Hahaha! I sold all my CP last night for 345 dill each, and I bought it all back today at 303! I made so much!"
    (no you sold all your CP at 345, then Today you spent all the Dill you made buying CP/Zen back at about 380)

if he sold 4,000 cp, to get back to where he was yesterday for today (5,000 zen) he would have to spend an extra 135,000 dill

tried to explain to him (and zone) why he in fact lost quite a large chunk of his CP/Zen doing that, but my god they don't get it, calling me the idiot

moral of the story? Don't buy any Zen atm, wait (and pray?) people figure it out and it drops to where it was yesterday (should actually be lower due to the demand for Dill) 276 would be equal to yesterdays 345

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    wait, there is some way to convert the dilithium to the store points for buying stuff like keys?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Both Cryptic games have an Exchange where you can trade in a certain in-game currency for cash-shop points. Check the small pull-down window on the mini-map for the Dilithium Exchange option.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Yeah we just did a full five captain PA crew through both hard Tholian missions and several Fleet missions. Super fun. The interior Tholian hard mission has you blowing the warp core on a reverse engineered Odyssey class before the Terran Empire can get it back while fending off huge waves of tholians. You get to use bunches of consoles to activate stuff like a broken holo deck and the phasers on a crashed shuttle to assist you.

The other hard one isn't bad so long as everyone back against the far wall after the second set of portals to prevent the pullers from dragging you into the acid lake.

Very impressed with this season stuff.

Also everyone on my team was awesome. Hope I didnt seem too bossy.

I was just happy someone had a plan. :rotate:

The indoor Hard is definitely the better of the two even though my frames went to shit, but you really need the full team (for now).

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    After seeing the new stuff in the public queues, I think I'll retract my many statements that Cryptic doesn't know subtlety of balance. Fleet defense and blockade run really are a place where you can contribute to critical mission objectives in a way other than death for the death god, and they manage to be difficult in a way that isn't bullshit.

No win, though... No subtlety at all. Wave 5 cleanly demonstrates Gozer's hand in the game.

Wave 1: lol
    Wave 2: lol
    Wave 3: lol
    Wave 4: lol
    Wave 5: SWEET JEHOVAH THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING AND ALL THAT REMAINS IS FIRE

Hevach on
  • Options
    I visited both bases and they look pretty nice. We're a little behind on the KDF one though, so anyone who's more dedicated to that side then the Federation oughta pitch in and help. I'll try to do so as much as I can.

• Options
    I have no idea how we gain Starbase Xp to get the thing to tier 1. We've completes a few military missions and gotten that xp but no general starbase xp. The only thing I can find that says ANYTHING is the wiki that says running tier 1 of a department's missions will generate starbase xp?

• Options
    WaftWaft Registered User regular
    I have no idea how we gain Starbase Xp to get the thing to tier 1. We've completes a few military missions and gotten that xp but no general starbase xp. The only thing I can find that says ANYTHING is the wiki that says running tier 1 of a department's missions will generate starbase xp?

I think we may need to get one or more (maybe all three?) of the support facilities up and running before the starbase itself can upgrade.

• Options
    tiballaghertiballagher Ringer Team Tossgirl(s)TMRegistered User regular
    De-lurking to introduce myself before pestering in-game chat for a fleet invite, and to say thanks for all the helpful info in these threads!

11486-1.png
  • Options
    So I bought some doff boxes to try and get some white doffs for the Fleet starbase and got a Tuffli freighter. Wow. It has everything inside! Bank, exchange, crafting station, and ship selector.

• Options
    WolfeborneWolfeborne Registered User regular
    Just patched, but server is down. I have something like 2000 cp with nothing to spend on. Anyway to contribute that to the station?

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I wouldn't really worry about it. Doffs you could buy, but they're not that big of a stopping point. The biggest slowdown is from fleet marks. So the best you can do to help right now is just play :)

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I mentioned this before in the PA channel but I thought we could try for the most part alternating days when it comes to working on the bases. One day Fed-side, the next KDF and so forth. At least when it comes to the Fleet Mark hours on the Event Calendar.

EDIT: Not sure if this is 100% correct but here's a quick rundown about scoring vanilla-flavored Starbase-Exp from SA's thread.
    I'll add a full guide to the OP at some point, but here's the basics:

1) You upgrade the sub-tiers of the starbase (military, science and engineering) by doing projects. Each of those projects unlocks 1000 subtier xp.

2) At 10,000 subtier xp (10 projects), you unlock subtier 1 (e.g. a tier 1 shipyard.)

3) Each subtier unlock grants 1000 STARBASE xp. New starbase tiers are at 1, 4, 7, 10 and 13.

So like someone suggested in the channel, we gotta build one of the outer pieces first before we get to build up the base itself.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I mentioned this before in the PA channel but I thought we could try for the most part alternating days when it comes to working on the bases. One day Fed-side, the next KDF and so forth. At least when it comes to the Fleet Mark hours on the Event Calendar.

EDIT: Not sure if this is 100% correct but here's a quick rundown about scoring vanilla-flavored Starbase-Exp from SA's thread.
    I'll add a full guide to the OP at some point, but here's the basics:

1) You upgrade the sub-tiers of the starbase (military, science and engineering) by doing projects. Each of those projects unlocks 1000 subtier xp.

2) At 10,000 subtier xp (10 projects), you unlock subtier 1 (e.g. a tier 1 shipyard.)

3) Each subtier unlock grants 1000 STARBASE xp. New starbase tiers are at 1, 4, 7, 10 and 13.

So like someone suggested in the channel, we gotta build one of the outer pieces first before we get to build up the base itself.

That's pretty much it. Couple side notes:

Subtier upgrades give 1500 to their subtier
    Starbase upgrades give 1000 to all three subtiers
    Special projects give 5 to all three subtiers. Even at 30 minutes each, they're awful for FXP, but they're mainly there as a continuous resource sink and fleet credit generator. Especially ships, you'll usually get less fleet credit provisioning the base than the stuff you made costs. These also take the bite off the first come first served problem with longer projects.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So I bought some doff boxes to try and get some white doffs for the Fleet starbase and got a Tuffli freighter. Wow. It has everything inside! Bank, exchange, crafting station, and ship selector.

Tuffli is a fantastic little ship for just messing around. I have a Vulcan engineering 'pirate' who I use for farming and general exchange/quartermaster stuff and she's rapidly becoming joint favourite with my main mostly because of the Tuffli!

As to the Klingon fleet, I will yellout for an invite next time I am on, start working on the starbase alongside Ingrit for the Fed side. Hopefully once the initial stockpile of doffs/dilithium/traces etc are used up the rush will die down a little and we will get a more even spread of contribution to Fleet projects allowing more people to input.

BTW I am Ingrit Tomson in STO.

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    I contributed towards the special project on the starbase, we're pretty close to starting that one.

Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if we should not do special projects at the moment. They cost a shit load of merits and resources and only seem to provide 5 xp to the three departments. We might be better off saving all that stuff for provisioning projects once we get to tier 1.

Supplemental: I've been playing my low level Science officer today. Got him to LTCom and grabbed the Exeter. That is my new favorite looking ship. Whomever designed it did a very good job. I really wish there was a fleet refit version, I'd use it all the time.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm wondering if we should not do special projects at the moment. They cost a shit load of merits and resources and only seem to provide 5 xp to the three departments. We might be better off saving all that stuff for provisioning projects once we get to tier 1.

Supplemental: I've been playing my low level Science officer today. Got him to LTCom and grabbed the Exeter. That is my new favorite looking ship. Whomever designed it did a very good job. I really wish there was a fleet refit version, I'd use it all the time.

The windows project was a good idea. The starry view really changes the feel of the place from a call centre sweatshop to an open plan starbase. Similar Specials might be nice but I agree concentrating on the basics of Starbase functionality and player useable NPC's leaning towards Fleet Ships is maybe the main priority.

Exeter is a classy little ship. All the Oldie Worlde Trek vessels give me goose bumps. Oh and whoever suggested the Dilithium workaround for transferring from one character to another, thanks! Works really well, though I doubt it's supposed to work that way, cough cough.

And apologies for not taking much part in Fleet groups yet as still a relative newb. Hopefully will be Lv 50 soon so we can take part in the Tholian stuff. On the brink of Lv 40 but promised SO I would wait so we can level at about the same time. Once we are both Admirals it should be ok for me to rocket ahead to 50 in a few days soon followed by my Klinky and Vulcan pirate then we can take the remaining Episode missions at a leisurely pace (we are only up to the start of the Romulan one). Enjoying those, probably my favourite part of the game.

Muddypaws on
  • Options
    LostInThoughtLostInThought Registered User regular
    So, uh...

ZGCQX.jpg

That didn't go so well.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Damn, so I take it you did so bad that the Klingons rebuilt your factory for you just for the chance to destroy it some more? How do you run up 453 damage on something with 100 hp?

I had a really bad run on that, but not that bad. 3/12 freighters saved, 100 damage on all four facilities, 0 fleet marks, still worked out to +2 marks.

Hevach on
  • Options
    LostInThoughtLostInThought Registered User regular
    There was definitely something odd going on for that run. I was actually at the industrial fab... where it was me and some poor schmuck in a galaxy vs. the world. Despite my warnings on zone/team chat. All the damage to the fab pretty much happened at once...it was fine one second then dead the next.
    The reason I think something was broke is that all 4 facilities in stage three died at the same time.... about a minute into the stage. You would think that if the group there was concentrated at one we could save one of the four facilities....The only reason the shipyard is at 95 is it glitched and stopped taking damage.
    Also, those neghvars and the dreadnoughts later were oddly tough. During the last stage just about everyone there combined on one dreadnought and couldnt get its shields down. Ended up killing it via shield penetration even though it had full shields.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    did they take fleet comms from you?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Apparently it actually can, but at least it won't make you go negative, so in a smaller fleet where you're usually dumping fleet marks whenever there's an open project, it's not such a big deal.

• Options
    I just remembered something wierd that happened yesterday. I was in a fleet Defense mission where we had to escort freights that were under attack to the starbase so they could drop off supplies. In this mission there was a player Odyssey named U.S.S. Enterprise. Straight up spelled the correct way and everything. I did not get close enough to check the registry. Did they take out the name blocking thing for offical ships?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So I managed to hit 50 today on my Federation Engineer.

Any recommendations for where to begin for gearing up from my Mk 9/10 greens to the Mk 11/12 blues and up?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    So I managed to hit 50 today on my Federation Engineer.

Any recommendations for where to begin for gearing up from my Mk 9/10 greens to the Mk 11/12 blues and up?

Man I got no clue. I crafted all my stuff before they added in the uncraftable stuff.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I just remembered something wierd that happened yesterday. I was in a fleet Defense mission where we had to escort freights that were under attack to the starbase so they could drop off supplies. In this mission there was a player Odyssey named U.S.S. Enterprise. Straight up spelled the correct way and everything. I did not get close enough to check the registry. Did they take out the name blocking thing for offical ships?

There's apparently ways to trick it using spaces. Registry number you still can't get, but 901701 is the usual go-to for a fake Enterprise.

For the gearing up question: Do a look through the mission replays. Lots of mk XI blues around there once you're VA. Other than that, STFs are still the go-to. Use rare borg salvage for weapons, encrypted data chips for a set (Borg deflector/engine and MACO shield is still pretty common, add in the Borg console from replaying Assimilation). My advice is to stick to space STFs - ground is only necessary for mk XII ground set pieces, and ground normal PUGs are worse than space elite ones.

Hevach on