As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime] The Fifth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament [Full!]

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2012
    Guys, very last warning. On topic.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    My main suggestion would be to cap the number of pluses during sign ups to +1 or +2 since there was difficulty getting into some of the houses last year due to "Me +9!" type stuff.

In terms of the event itself I think you've managed to max out the awesomeness thus far. The DA/DE split in the houses was pure brilliance. Since its the 5th year it would be cool to have some kind of drink tie-in to the 5th book: maybe an "Order of the Drunken Phoenix" challenge or something (hmm, flaming shots anyone?). I should re-read the book and see if anything particularly drink worthy comes to mind.

Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sageheart wrote: »
    My main suggestion would be to cap the number of pluses during sign ups to +1 or +2 since there was difficulty getting into some of the houses last year due to "Me +9!" type stuff.

Yeah, that was a major suggestion after last year's event and was incorporated for East. At East the max was yourself +1.

• afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    This will be my first year drinking with my fellow PAXers at the TWDT, so I am pretty damned excited. Are there any costume requirements, or anything of that sort that I need to inform my buddies of? Also... can I prejoin Ravenclaw?

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    @afeil117 Sorry, no prejoins to my knowledge. Keep your eyes here, though. Atlus will make the official thread (or announce in this one), and if it's like previous years it will be first come first served.

You are however correct in your desire to join Ravenclaw. CaCaw.

AltDelete on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    Costumes are preferable, but not required. Think of it like going to see you're favorite college football team. Most people are in the team colors, but there are those obvious people shirtless with body paint.

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    redhalo wrote: »
    Costumes are preferable, but not required. Think of it like going to see you're favorite college football team. Most people are in the team colors, but there are those obvious people shirtless with body paint.

Is the part about the shirtless people with body paint true? If so, are women welcome to attend in bikini/bandeau tops?

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Menolly07 wrote: »
    No Nia OR Chaos for Ravenclaw DA?! Ca-weeping.....

But I'll be there

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »

Is the part about the shirtless people with body paint true? If so, are women welcome to attend in bikini/bandeau tops?

Schoolgirl uniforms are strongly encouraged.

26904.png
  • bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    My liver is ready.

Menolly07 wrote: »
    No Nia OR Chaos for Ravenclaw DA?! Ca-weeping.....

I'm sure some people will step up and consume their portion of liquor and hit on girls for them.

I will jump to DA and assume the drinking/flirting role of Chaos as best I can. Or maybe Nia.. but I can't do it for both >.<

If I put some effort into it, we both can make it up!

<@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Costumes are preferable, but not required. Think of it like going to see you're favorite college football team.

Pretty much. You can show up wearing anything you want, but team colors are highly encouraged. Last year I went as Hunter S. Thompson in Slytherin color and this year I've got a super douchey looking Slytherin Frat Dudebro getup (picture is on the prior page).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Costumes are preferable, but not required. Think of it like going to see you're favorite college football team.

Pretty much. You can show up wearing anything you want, but team colors are highly encouraged.
    To tack onto this, dressing up (in the optional manner) gives you additional brownie points on your scorecard!

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    And brownie points = stickers! You know you want stickers!

why are you smelling it?
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    And true to his word @TOGSolid immediately sent me a PM detailing why we shouldn't change the theme. And he's right. There will be no theme change this year and if we were to do one we'd give the TWDT a huge send off.

@redhalo: o hai. I'm alright. Doing the whole Pokemon Master Dad thing.

Like this year's Pokecrawl, registration will be limited to yourself +1. Costumes are highly encouraged and necessary if you're looking to complete your scorecard.

Now the rest of this post is going to be a bit of a major announcement:

This year we're going to try using Eventbrite to handle registration. This going to offer several advantages over the old system that was titled "Atlus' head explodes looking at 200+ posts of people trying to sign up at the same time".

First off, it will give everyone a real time count of how many spots are left on each team. This is really important so people are getting signed up properly. It will also allow easier check in for heads as Eventbrite offers a mobile check in app for iOS/Android. Lastly, it will stop my head from exploding as well as eliminate any confusion over what groups are open and which aren't.

If anyone has any feedback on the decision to use Eventbrite please let me know ASAP.

This sounds like a good idea. My only concern is if there will there be a limit on simultaneous sign-ups through eventbrite?

• DaksaDaksa MesaRegistered User regular
    The Bohemian Rhapsody, sung by 100 Ravenclaws was AWESOME!!!!!!

This sounds like a good idea. My only concern is if there will there be a limit on simultaneous sign-ups through eventbrite?

I can limit ticket "sales" (the tickets would be free so we don't incur Eventbrite fees) to 2 per person then I can manually limit ticket "sales" that have gone over their allotment.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This sounds fun. For once I'll actually be in to Pax early enough to join in on thrusday(My plane lands Wed night)
    How do hese signups work? Is there a way to try and choose which House you'll be in? ie, I want Hufflepuff.
    :)
    And is there any minimum drinking requirement? I do love me some drinking but am sereverly limited (via meds) on how much I can drink.

KellyShepard087 on
    - Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    skarsol wrote: »
    And brownie points = stickers! You know you want stickers!

STIIIICKERRRRS!

The Eventbrite idea is pretty solid and would do a lot to limit the "OH MAN IS XXXXXX STILL OPEN, CAN I BE A STANDBY!?!?!?" problems. In case Eventbrite shits itself, I've found that WePay is also a really fantastic ticketing (whether free or not) service.

wWuzwvJ.png
    This sounds fun. For once I'll actually be in to Pax early enough to join in on thrusday(My plane lands Wed night)
    How do hese signups work? Is there a way to try and choose which House you'll be in? ie, I want Hufflepuff.
    :)
    And is there any minimum drinking requirement? I do love me some drinking but am sereverly limited (via meds) on how much I can drink.

Sign ups will go live with in the next few weeks via Eventbrite. There are four houses to choose from and each house has two different groups. You pick your House and you pick your group. Once you've signed up for a group you just show up at your designated meeting place at the designated time. That's pretty much it. The amount you drink is up to you but don't be surprised when you hear the hardcore witches and wizards talking about completing their scorecard.

A word of warning, this tends to be one of the more popular events at PAX and will fill up quickly. Stay tuned to this thread for updates.

Cool good to know. I just don't want to be stuck as the 'odd one out' for having to limit my drinks.
    Hufflepuff is my choice, hands down. =)

I shall def keep an eye peeled here. What are the 'groups' within the Houses? I'm assuming the four houses are the Hogwarts Houses.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Four houses are Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw.

The two groups are Dumbledore's Army (Order of the Phoenix) and the Death Eaters.

It's all very canon, you see.

Ah, so I do. very cool. I'm looking forward to this!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    The amount you drink is up to you but don't be surprised when you hear the hardcore witches and wizards talking about completing their scorecard.
    Or overcompleting it. :D

Related Protip: Never ever ever challenge three other people at the same time to the drink mixing challenge. >.>

wWuzwvJ.png
  • CapeguyCapeguy New WestminsterRegistered User regular
    It's my first time to PAX and i am planning on attending this event but i had a bit of a noob question maybe. Why is it call tri-wizard when the groups are the houses of Hogwarts and not the tri-wizard schools?

edited July 2012
    My completely pulled out my ass answer is that it's probably a reference to the Tri-Cities area in Washington.

Completely tangential thought: I suddenly want to see the Quad Wizard DJs who's debut song is Snape Jam.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    The official answer is that because the TWDT wasn't grouped by houses for the first year. It was just 2 groups then and I had less than a month to theme the bar crawl.

Also, grouping by houses just makes more sense. The houses are much more fleshed out than the 2 other schools and they're much easier to costume for.

• Crispy262Crispy262 HuffleDRUNK @Hogwarts Castle BasementRegistered User regular
    HufflePUFF! HufflePUFF!
    I remember my first year of this getting lost on the way to the last bar, I think it was Barca. I was walking with @Binkley and we both were drunk enough to not be able to follow the GPS on his iphone. I can imagine the phone, were it self aware, thinking What a bunch of dumb asses, they keep turning the wrong way! We eventually made it to finish up the Patronus challenge. I was pretty wrecked the next day :rotate:
    Looking forward to this as it is one of the highlights of PAX!!

vqyaoonar0oe.png
    Retired [E]
    HUFFLEPUFF 2011-18
    https://facebook.com/groups/HufflepuffTWDT/

Speaking of being wrecked, as someone who has completed their scorecard every year, if you pretend that there is a secret challenge in addition to all the others that consists of drinking at least a pint glass of water at every bar, your likelihood of being wrecked the next day is greatly diminished. A hearty meal beforehand is key as well. Drink smart!

why are you smelling it?
  • Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    The Eventbrite thing sounds like a great idea - hope it works out great! Be sure to let us know post-mortem what you think of that approach, for future reference. =D

~eagerly awaits the opening of the Great Hall, as it were~

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Daksa wrote: »
    The Bohemian Rhapsody, sung by 100 Ravenclaws was AWESOME!!!!!!

I've been scouring YouTube and can't find it, but there is definitely a video of 50+ Syltherin (myself included) singing "Fuck Her Gently" in that same bar floating around somewhere.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    As a first time TWDT attendee (hopefully!), I had a question about the houses.

Does each house tend to attract certain types? How do you choose which house to sign up for?

There is a rigorous 5,000 question test you must take to see which house you go into. Or you can just pick which ever house you like the most (or depending how late into the sign ups it is which ever one isn't full).

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Or you can just pick which ever house you like the most (or depending how late into the sign ups it is which ever one isn't full).

Pretty much this, for my first TWDT I picked Syltherin because it was one of 2 houses that still had spots available and a couple of friends I had made the previous PAX were in it. Since then I've keep going back due to a deep and abiding loyalty to my house, and most of my PAX friends keep picking Syltherin year after year.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    Yes! So stoked for this. I missed out last year because of work, and before that I was under 21. Slytherin all the way!

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    Speaking of being wrecked, as someone who has completed their scorecard every year, if you pretend that there is a secret challenge in addition to all the others that consists of drinking at least a pint glass of water at every bar, your likelihood of being wrecked the next day is greatly diminished. A hearty meal beforehand is key as well. Drink smart!

But then there's less room in your stomach for booze. :(

CA CAAAW!!

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    Sumi wrote: »

CA CAAAW!!

Maybe if you're a leeetle girl. :P

why are you smelling it?
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular

Food and water are incredibly important. Make next morning's PAX that much friendlier and have a proper meal beforehand, and keep hydrated throughout.

Also, tip your bartenders and keep cash on hand. Makes everything quicker and everyone drunker.

And don't trust Gryffindors.

http://twdt5.eventbrite.com/

Password: MagicalMe

This is the Eventbrite site for when sign ups go live. Everyone should take a minute and check it out and see if there are any glaring issues or anything you'd like to see implemented. There is a test ticket available so people can ensure that they can register. Actual ticket "sales" do not actually open up until...

...Harry Potter's birthday.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Sumi wrote: »

CA CAAAW!!

Maybe if you're a leeetle girl. :P

Are you saying you're a Gigantic Girl?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
This discussion has been closed.