As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• decalescentdecalescent Registered User new member
    @decalescent
    Here are my best guesses based on past experience and policies.

No to the bat.
    Yes to the balloonicorn if it is reasonably sized and is not going to get in other people's way. I am not sure how big they are but think about it practically if you brought it into a crowded expo hall.
    Knight_ wrote: »
    @decalescent
    Here are my best guesses based on past experience and policies.

No to the bat.
    Yes to the balloonicorn if it is reasonably sized and is not going to get in other people's way. I am not sure how big they are but think about it practically if you brought it into a crowded expo hall.

I thought the policy this year was changed to only not allow pointy objects. Such that the wooden swords from geek chic and scout bats and whatnot were allowed? I'm sure Airwolf will sweep in and actually answer this though.

Searching back, on Pg. 9 he said
    Airwolf wrote:
    Hello everyone, AirWolf (aka AaronC) here with an update to the PAX Costume Weapons policy and information on how to get your costume weapons checked at Prime 2012

The TL:DR version of the weapons policy is that bats, wooden swords and other objects that can be used to bludgeon are no longer restricted. Things that shoot, airsoft and things that are sharp or pierce are not allowed.

Simply put, we trust that people aren't going to be intentionally hitting each other and that a ban on those items didn't serve its purpose.
    AaronC wrote: »
    Bats are fine. I have been at work overseas, I haven't followed up on the FAQ on the main PAX page, if it hasn't been updated I'll get an email fired off again.

If someone has a huge item that is a hindrance to others, that would be an issue, but not from the banned weapon standpoint.

TL:DR: bats are ok. Don't be a dick with them.

Okay, thank you all very much!

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    Sorry for the misinformation. Like I said, I took my best guess from past policies since nothing about stuff able to bludgeon is in the current policy.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    No worries! It's my job to make sure you all get the right info, but I stay out of the rest of the discussions and let you all be super creative. I always appreciate the help. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the costumes at the show, just remember, please make sure you check in at the weapons check booth if you don't get checked in the pre-show line.

I assume there will be more details about the checking of props as we get closer?
    Andraste's flaming knicker weasels I am getting excited and impatient for PAX!!

I should go.
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Pictures of my Fiora Cavazza cosplay will be up sometime next week! Anyone, else doing Assassin's Creed cosplays? My boyfriend, Artyom, is going as the Doctor!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • ACEhardWEARACEhardWEAR Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    Great costumes and ideas! Love this thread!

ACEhardWEAR on
    edited July 2012
    Here we go again! Last year was my first cosplay as Poison Ivy from Arkham Asylum with my fiance as Scarecrow and friend as Two face. I had quite an experience making all of those costumes, but really enjoyed taking pictures with people and hearing them comment on the Scarecrow mask.

This year, I've been having a hard time deciding what to do and then it hit me in the middle of hour 67 of playing Diablo 3 that I should try to make Keiranna's costume (my demon hunter).

I went to Value Village and am ready to sew! Of course, you can't be a demon hunter without a crossbow, so I'm hoping my painted wood bow will be accepted if I take the string off, making it impossible to ever shoot anything out of it and have rubber arrows in my quiver!

Here we are last year

PoisonIvy.jpg

ACEhardWEAR on
    edited July 2012
    I didn't do Two-Face's makeup though... burns and scars creep me out!

ACEhardWEAR on
    @TOGSolid and @AaronC
    So I have my nerf gun for a sniper rifle. It is a custom painted longstrike (no orange tip).

If I took off the bar that allows me to reload/cock it and took away the ability to put any clips in it to reload then would it be considered deactivated? Or do I still need to open it up and take out all of the little innards? I prefer not to cause of the paint job on it but if it is necessary I will. The way I understand I just have to not be able to fire it right? How I have it currently I cannot load or fire, pulling the trigger just jams it.

And finally do I need to put the orange tip back on it? I can muster up the will to put some tape over the front that is orange but god do I not want that bright neon showing in photos

O_O

I should go.
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Can't quite believe I'm posting in this thread; I'm thinking of coming as a Dalek to the women's breakfast and then on to PAX On the Sundays. What have you PAX people done to me?

My bff has just been round and I've finally told her my plan - she wants to know what have you done with LewieP's Mummy and when you will give her back?!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    I worked on the bracer this weekend and finally got it finished up.
    zFplJ.png

I've got most of the tunic pieces done. Just need to finish up the scale mail.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I actually started working on my Scout Ma costume! :D
    I'd had the briefcase for a while but only just the other day went out and bought paint and primer, so now it's all painted up and just needs the details like the buttons and boops. I also need those pics that were inside it during the "Meet the Spy" video so if anyone has any high-rez copies lying around...
    This is my first-ever handmade cosplay thing, and my first-ever prop! So even though it's not even done yet I'm still super happy about it and super excited to actually be going through with it.
    briefcase001.jpg
    briefcase003.jpg

@TOGSolid and @AaronC
    So I have my nerf gun for a sniper rifle. It is a custom painted longstrike (no orange tip).
    O_O

If pulling the trigger does nothing then it won't be a problem. You will not need to have an orange tip. If you can stick a nerf round in and pull the trigger and have it fire then there is a problem.

Your judgement, take the internals out is the 100 percent way of knowing it will pass. Preventing a way to put a round in works as well.

Not needing an orange tip for weapons surprises me; I remember helping with the Theater kids back in high school, the teacher was really pointed in making sure we kept the orange tips on their prop guns. Especially for realistic weapons, since I think it was a state law maybe? And I did go to high school/college in WA, but then maybe I'm wrong and it was just for general safety.
    Still, nice for the pro cosplayers, but a headache for local law enforcement I bet. Good thing we're all such amiable chaps! :D

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    If a cop confuses a comically out of proportion Nerf gun being held by a person in a costume with an actual gun then he or she is so mentally handicapped that they should probably trade their gun and badge in for a little white helmet.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    Much as I hate to, I may be cancelling the Mad Moxxi/EVI cosplays for myself this year for some personal reasons that have cropped up. Pretty much a definite cancel on the EVI.

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    If a cop confuses a comically out of proportion Nerf gun being held by a person in a costume with an actual gun then he or she is so mentally handicapped that they should probably trade their gun and badge in for a little white helmet.
    Well I did say realistic weapons, which to be fair you don't see too many of in video games these days anyway. :P
    Even a few TF2 props would fall into that category though, which is why I ended up deciding against trying to make Pauling's handgun. I guess people don't really cosplay the gritty realism shooters like MW and BF? Doesn't seem like the right crowd for it at least, and I know personally I'd rather do something more interesting than something that looks like it could've been pulled from an Army recruitment ad.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Oh, I thought you were meaning all prop guns in general. Realistic looking guns are banned from PAX so it's a non-issue.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • YsterathYsterath Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Working on a GW2 cosplay of Caithe of the Sylvari. Another friend is making an Asura Mesmer :D

Ysterath on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • KaligKalig CalgaryRegistered User regular
    Going to attempt to do a Dune Fremen stillsuit costume for Pax Prime. I've got almost two months to figure it out. I've so far got a 1 piece lycra suit, and am going to attempt to attach foam to it, and apply a heavy latex to it. Any tips or tricks? I'm a complete amateur and could use some help. The design I'm working on is here:
    http://shell.newpaltz.edu/~N02096034/css1/images/stillsuit.jpg

• shinbishinbi Registered User regular
    I know this is a long shot, but if any of you are local to the Seattle area, do any of you know someone who would want to do a commission to make a cosplay prop?

I was planning on making the prop I need myself but I'm going to be gone for most of the next two months until PAX and have been looking for someone to make it for me. @_@

• GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Blehhh either my mom sewed my sleeves too tight (she sewed them without measuring my arms first ._.) or I gained weight! So, no pics yet of Fiora until I can get the sleeves fixed...it is coming along quite nicely though.

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I am ready to make my femshep dress. Got the plans all laid out. Now to find the materials and get started.
    Curse you six day straight work week!

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    For once I have tickets, a hotel room, friends to go with [who aren't flakes and cancel a week in advance], and a job so I can actually afford to drive down! So, among my multiple costumes planned for the weekend, I gotta ask you, who you gonna call?

gb3copy.jpg

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    Thanks for the replies guys =)
    I have sealed it so that I can't load it or pull the trigger and taken out the internals that I can get to without having to take too much apart and ruin the paint job.

Also I don't have an orange tip on my nerf gun simply because it is blue and yellow and very obviously a prop gun and I only ever have it while in costume. I have yet to have an issue with it but I imagine being in full armor helps to show that it is not real. The next obstacle to tackle is getting it through the airport. I will be checking it in the case that my armor is in but that will not stop security and searchers to swarm on my bag so I am contacting airlines and seeing what I can do to prevent too much of a panic.

I should go.
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I had a problem with TSA searching my checked bag. I had my foam halo AR wrapped in towels set neatly in the center of the suitcase. When I got to the hotel and opened the suitcase up, the towels and AR were near the top edge of the suitcase and part of the towel got stuck in the zipper. When I opened it my AR snapped in half. I was so furious.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • LelentalLelental Registered User regular
    Zoya's robes are done!! =D
    534664_567513821489_1709844367_n.jpg

Hello all. As a heads up, the costume weapons check booth with be at the Info desk on the 4th floor.

The Security Team will be going through the outside line befor the center opens, so if your early you won't have to worry about not being able to go somewhere right away.

The info booth is room 454 on the following PDF

http://www.wsctc.com/pdfs/floor_plans/FloorPlansCapacitiesDimensionsOctober2010.pdf

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Found a pair of shorts that I think will work for Dhalsim, so I spent the day playing with those, as well as giving some needed love to my Bayonetta and C. Viper wigs. Hopefully with some repairs and adjustments, I'll be a lot more mobile as Bayonetta this time around (my poor husband was having to constantly de-tangle me last year).

Thanks Aaron. I will add the info to the main post later today when not on mobile

I should go.
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    Hiya! Just wanted to hop in and say I actually managed to snag a pass this year. Sadly there will be no way in heck that I can join you awesome guys in costume this year as I am LITERALLY flying in from France on the Friday of PAX into Seattle. If I do bring something it'll probably be Kumatora from Mother 3 but I'm not too happy how that turned out. It's a real shame because that means I'll have to put off doing Zia from Bastion till Sakuracon. Anyways can't wait to see you guys in your finished costumes! There's going to be a lot of great work this year!

• apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    I keep going back and forth between doing Ashley, FemShep, and Kasumi... I might stick with my original plan of being Kasumi (even though I'm FAR from Asian) due to lack of time, and I've worked with spandex/bodysuits before. (I was Stephanie Brown/Batgirl at Emerald City Comicon this year)

I am also thinking of crossplaying as The Kid from Bastion if I have enough time and can find the stuff I would need for the costume.

Sunday is usually a "lazy" day for me at PAX, so I will possibly be wearing my N7 flight suit for funsies. AAAAHHHHH I want to make so many things, but being out of the country for work has deterred me from being able to craft for now. :c

• Trooper0621Trooper0621 Registered User regular
    Comic con is over and the 405th Halo costuming group had a great showing there:

527891_10150931675691441_1681009097_n.jpg
    182170_10150931673721441_161929742_n.jpg

While PAX is usually a smaller event for us (Halofest aside), I'd still like to have a decent showing since this is a con that is very close to 343i. We're hosting a filmmaking panel, and should have several ODSTs, spartans, etc. heading up with us, and we'd love to see more.

Currently very busy getting things resituated, but if you could list me as the point of contact for Halo costume gathering and direct Halo costumers looking to meet up to these FB pages, that would be much appreciated:

http://www.facebook.com/405thpacific

http://www.facebook.com/events/332465660174195/

Thanks!
    -Dani

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So I though I'd get the opinion of the thread on this: I'm working on my Dhalsim costume. Dhalsim is a man - I am not. He has no hair - I have lots. I'm debating between trying to make the bald cap thing work versus putting my hair into three braids and using temporary spray dye to paint them red. Thoughts? Ideas I haven't thought of?

Mogs on
    So I made my Flapjack shirt, just taped off most of the shirt and sprayed the stripes on with red fabric spray paint (I didn't know that existed!). It looks great, only a few tiny dots leaked through, but now due to all the paint the shirt's rather stiff and constrictive since the painted parts no longer stretch. Is there any way I can get it broken in a little bit? I'm not expecting it to ever go back to the quality of the original tee, but right now it feels like I'm still wearing giant bands of painter's tape.

• leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Throw it in the dryer on low/med heat. I couldn't suggest washing unless you're fine with having to re-do it. The dryer might eff it too, but it's the least destructive way, and it really 'sets in' the paint. It's how I do my shirts, I just use actual spraypaint and stencils, let it sit a couple days then put it in the dryer first before washing it.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • VersuskidVersuskid Maui, HIRegistered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    So I made my Flapjack shirt, just taped off most of the shirt and sprayed the stripes on with red fabric spray paint (I didn't know that existed!). It looks great, only a few tiny dots leaked through, but now due to all the paint the shirt's rather stiff and constrictive since the painted parts no longer stretch. Is there any way I can get it broken in a little bit? I'm not expecting it to ever go back to the quality of the original tee, but right now it feels like I'm still wearing giant bands of painter's tape.

Please post photos! I can't wait to see it at PAX... Oh and I don't know how to help your shirt so yeah...

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
    Challenge Coin [ ]. Custom Dice [ ]. Forumer Pin [ ]. On Forumer Badge [ ]
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13
  • hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    just putting the finishing touches on the mole mitts for my minish cap costume!

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
    leaf wrote: »
    Throw it in the dryer on low/med heat. I couldn't suggest washing unless you're fine with having to re-do it. The dryer might eff it too, but it's the least destructive way, and it really 'sets in' the paint. It's how I do my shirts, I just use actual spraypaint and stencils, let it sit a couple days then put it in the dryer first before washing it.
    I washed it about 4 days later as the paint said to wait at least 72 hours and then wash it inside out. I did dry it in the dryer instead of hang-drying it but it actually took forever for only one shirt. I guess that might've made it more stiff, but I'm hoping maybe just wearing it out a bit might help at least break it in.

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    just putting the finishing touches on the mole mitts for my minish cap costume!

Haha awesome! I was actually Minish Cap Link for Sakuracon this year, complete with mole mitts! I'd love to see yours!

This discussion has been closed.