As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel NOW! - Welcome to the Future of the Marvel Universe (GO TO NEW THREAD)

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I'd rather not deal with any more of Liu writing X-23

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If you wanted an all-chick super team, there are plenty of other, better characters to use than the killing brigade.

This might get announced in some capacity, A Plus X, by Warren Ellis, Jeph Loeb, and Dale Keown.

The Loeb/Keown thing seems like the normal thing that happens with a Loeb book, where he gets a A-list artist he's friends with and makes the story fit what they want to draw. And I can only think Ellis' name is there to balance out the Loeb name.

• Options
    If I had to guess, this will be an anthology book.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Going to be some kind of weekly minseries in october titled AVX CONSEQUENCES (5 issues).
    Also going to be a A-BABIES VS X-BABIES.
    Punisher War Zone is a 5 issue miniseries.
    http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=123354

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    -Red Hulk becomes "Red She-Hulk" with issue 58. Still written by Parker. (maybe this is the series with same staff, but totally new storyline?)
    Huh, that's interesting. I kind of like the character in Defenders, I might check this out.
    -Way confirmed to be leaving Deadpool for a new project.
    Whoa, OK! That got me really excited! Does that mean that Deadpool is ending? Or does it mean a new writer? Because I'd really like to be reading Deadpool again, but I got really bored of Way's writing.

• Options
    James Asmus on Deadpool, or Jonathan Maberry, please please please.

If neither of those two, just cancel it and let the character rest for a bit.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Avengers vs. X-Men: Consequences. 5 issues done weekly, all written by Gillen, with Tom Raney, Mark Brooks, Steve Kurth, Dale Eaglesham, and someone else drawing the issues.

That sounds like a worthwhile thing, mainly because it's Gillen, so he can put things back the way they need to be after this event.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    ok, so new interview on CBR regarding Red She Hulk.
    Jeff Parker: As will become clear from other announcements, Red Hulk is moving to a new duty somewhere else that's very interesting. So his tour of duty in Hulk is done with "Mayan Rule," and now our focus goes to Betty. If you thought "Hulk" was fight-heavy, wait until you read this.

---
    She has recently become convinced that humanity itself is on the way out, the deal sealed by people like herself, super humans. We get into that after issue one. It's her inner conflict and fear of losing who she is played out on the world stage. To confirm her belief, the military gets permission to revive Project Pegasus and explore creating fighting forces biologically.

Betty knows that you can stop a military project by proving it a failure and choking funding, so Red She-Hulk shows up to that in the most dramatic way possible. And it all goes to hell from there.

...ok, sounds interesting. and sounds even more likely about Agents of Smash.

• Options
    stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    The Agents of Smash thing, I'm very certain is coming - but in a different medium than everyone is assuming. Though it wouldn't be the first time to see such a title show up in two different media (a la Ultimate Spiderman or Wolverine and the X-Men, just to cite a couple examples).

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Wait what

they already confirmed Agents of SMASH as a children's TV show

we are talking about a comic that would, hopefully, be less kid-oriented

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    which makes sense from a business standpoint, but I have doubts on whether or not it would have been a good book

Liu's a pretty good writer, so I don't see why it couldn't work. People have been doing black ops superhero books for a couple decades now, and I could see characters like that filling the same niche. Turn it into Marvel's Birds of Prey, basically.

I do think it'd suffer from the same kind of backlash Christopher Priest's The Crew did, where people assumed that because it featured a team composed primarily of black characters, written by a black writer, it was just a cynical attempt to get black readers. Except, replace "black" with "female."

That said, that group of characters really seems too same-y. They all basically have the same skillset and, to some extent, personality.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think for almost every superteam, you need at least one person who can fly and one person who bust through a wall, and that team doesn't have either of those.

• Options
    Yeah, even the other Black Ops superteams have decent variety to them

Secret Avengers includes Captain Britain, Venom and Beast who are all wildly different

X-Force has Wolverine, Psylocke and AoA Nightcrawler

Elektra, Mystique, Black Widow and X-23 all have very similar skillsets and Mystique is really the only one with an outright power outside of a healing factor

I mean I am not saying BETTER POWERS=BETTER BOOK but I can see the team's adventures getting very repetitive and dull

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Kinda hope there aren't too many AxX aftermath branded books. Although The Fearless maxiseries that happened after Fear Itself was pretty excellent I thought but FI went so far off the rails by the end pretty much anything afterwards was better.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    How about a team of Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Domino, Echo, and Black Widow?

I feel like that would be a better mixing of personalities while still keeping the same "team of killers" idea.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A Plus X, by Warren Ellis, Jeph Loeb, and Dale Keown.

The Loeb/Keown thing seems like the normal thing that happens with a Loeb book, where he gets a A-list artist he's friends with and makes the story fit what they want to draw. And I can only think Ellis' name is there to balance out the Loeb name.

Ellis is actually not involved.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    “It’s a very new, unprecedented dynamic between Banner and Hulk,” Alonso said, adding, “What’s planned is one of those oh shoot moments!”

“You’ll notice Hulk looks a bit different than before, and there’s a reason for that,” Singh added, pointing to the image onscreen for Marvel Now.

Guessing that the robo thing is banner.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yuuuck

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    They also confirmed 2 more titles joining the Marvel NOW banner

X-Force
    Deadpool

Didn't say anything about new #1s or anything, but I guess it could happen.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If Dan Slott is moved off of ASM I will mostly :( with a side of /rage (stupid smiley isn't working, /rage). Big Time was my first foray into Spidey books and he seems to have a really solid grasp of the character.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    They just said an X-book with X-23 in it. I don't think that necessarily means X-Force, though it might.

Furu on
  • Options
    Furu wrote: »
    They just said an X-book with X-23 in it. I don't think that necessarily means X-Force, though it might.
    No, they outright said "X-Force and Deadpool will be joining in on the Marvel NOW fun"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »
    No, they outright said "X-Force and Deadpool will be joining in on the Marvel NOW fun"

OH I WAS READING THE WRONG THING WHOOPS

man I hope the book she's in isn't X-Force

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    But I like X-Force the way it is now

:[

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Bleeding Cool is saying that through some evening drink talk it seems Mark Waid and Leinil Yu will be on the new Hulk book. That's outside the box and could make me interested in the character.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Unless they drastically changed the mission statement of the X-Force team, I don't really thinks there's any logical reason why Wolverine would allow X-23 back on that team. The only way I could see that happening is if they turn X-Force into a team for rehabing dangerous mutants, like a mutant Thunderbolts team.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    yeah I have to wonder what would have to happen for Wolverine to turn the reins over the Cable in the first place

man I hate Cable

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Is there any reason Peter David's not writing more stuff? He's managed to keep a B-list title like X-Factor alive for over eighty issues, at an astonishingly consistent sales level, with virtually no promotion or real backing from Marvel.

Is he still doing all those Black Tower/media tie-in comics, or novels, or something?

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Is there any reason Peter David's not writing more stuff? He's managed to keep a B-list title like X-Factor alive for over eighty issues, at an astonishingly consistent sales level, with virtually no promotion or real backing from Marvel.

Is he still doing all those Black Tower/media tie-in comics, or novels, or something?

I think Peter David is so consistently good, he just kind of gets forgotten about. He didn't get a lot of attention during his long Supergirl or Hulk runs either, and his original amazing X-Factor books are mostly forgotten too.

And yeah, he's still writing the Dark Tower comics - which have been great too. A new mini-series just started a month or two ago. I read on one of his pages that he started a new fantasy novel series and did some licensed books based on the Fable video games recently and he's done some random one-shot books and such for Marvel, like the John Cater tie-in, and some Marvel Zombies stuff. Dude definitely stays busy.

• Options
    I guess marvel has a central site for NOW! stuff, and it looks like the A+X book is essentially a new Marvel Team Up
    http://marvel.com/marvelnow

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39727
    Asked about Silver Surfer, Alonso said Marvel will probably take a look at him soon. He also said that "Dan Buckley hates it when we use the word 'cosmic,' so I'm studiously avoiding it." Instead, Alonso used the more awkward "non-Earthbound characters."

What's wrong with the word "cosmic"??
    Asked about Doctor Stange, Singh pointed to the "Doctor Strange: Season One" graphic novel coming up from Greg Pak and Emma Rios. Alonso said "there's no lack of love for Doctor Strange, but we need to work out what Marvel magic is." The editors do not want a deus ex machina style of magic, Alonso said. "It's elusive—as soon as we figure it out, you'll see 'Doctor Strange' #1."

Jeez guys, how long's it going to take to figure out? Just hire a good fantasy author like Glen Cook or Steven Erikson to work it out for you already.
    "Some of the Runaways characters will have a major role in a new unannounced ongoing series that is not called 'Runaways,'" Singh said in response to a fan question about the popular young heroes. "You will know more before September."

"You're going to get more" Cloak and Dagger, Amanat said, "in 'Amazing Spider-Man.'" Singh said the duo are also in "Wolverine" #310 by Jeph Loeb and Simone Bianchi.

Similar to his "Runaways" answer, Singh said some of the "Secret Warriors" characters would turn up in a book not called "Secret Warriors."

:^:

new Doc Strange and possible Silver Surfer stuff? that makes me very happy!

this whole Marvel Now! shindig really came at a great time for me, just started getting back into collecting/reading comics after about a 10 year hiatus. just sucks cause i'm having to go back and find copies of things like The Mighty Thor, Venom, etc it's getting kinda expensive. should i wait for this thing to start to check out Guardians of the Galaxy?

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    Looks like they'll be revealing who Nick Fury Jr is keep tabs on dis week
    1342465073.jpg

and I guess the bottom banner will be a thing now (which I'm all right with)

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Nick Jr. you're supposed to put the photos inside the manila folders, but it seems as though you've just printed the images on the folders themselves. You're new to this so we'll cut you some slack.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Cable doesn't have the TO virus anymore, it was completely removed from his body in kind of a big moment. He can still rock the big gun but Marcus Johnson needs to hire that continuity comic guy from She-Hulk's old lawfirm to be up to date.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Like Marcus is that fun

he'd probably hate them because he's a macho man who only trusts soldiers or something like that

Solar on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Nick Jr. you're supposed to put the photos inside the manila folders, but it seems as though you've just printed the images on the folders themselves. You're new to this so we'll cut you some slack.

There's a paperclip

right there

on the folder

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote: »

There's a paperclip

right there

on the folder

If you're implying that i'm a member of HYDRA's elite viral marketing branch trying to defame the new Nick Fury well then, buddy, you can just go and... i've said too much

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    These exchanges are why I am excited for Nick Jr.

As terrible as he can possibly be in the books, every time I see him I will chuckle and think of the internet.

• Options
    Macro9 wrote: »

There's a paperclip

right there

on the folder

If you're implying that i'm a member of HYDRA's elite viral marketing branch trying to defame the new Nick Fury well then, buddy, you can just go and... i've said too much

So it was Madame Hydra who called Kate Upton fat!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm betting that the new deal with the Hulk is indeed that the little robot is Banner and he controls the Hulk like a puppet via that armor stuff he's wearing.

This discussion has been closed.