As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Adventures of Beau Wright

BeauWrightBeauWright Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Artist's Corner
So I got a new sketchbook and wanted to track my progress with community commentary. I just now realized there was a forum for the comic I've been reading since I got the internet.

zh2z7.jpg

First page, filled with random floating nonsense, Adventure Time, and what I'm now assuming is Samurai Jack.

mceGx.jpg

Life stuff and two Indian girls? I think I was watch Utena.

yDvqk.jpg

Body stuff that i drew people over, also the moment i figured how hands worked.

BeauWright on

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I think those hands might be a bit big, or the wrists a bit too small, but you've definitely got your own style showing through most of this. Keep going.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you drawing with a super hard pencil? The inks look nice, but the pencils have a bit of a dissolved look. If thats what you are comfortable sketching with, thats fine, but you may want to try some other pencils. I also hate the paper in those pads, its like newsprint. Strathmore makes a top down book with heavier paper, I think, but it may be spiral bound.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Are you drawing with a super hard pencil? The inks look nice, but the pencils have a bit of a dissolved look. If thats what you are comfortable sketching with, thats fine, but you may want to try some other pencils. I also hate the paper in those pads, its like newsprint. Strathmore makes a top down book with heavier paper, I think, but it may be spiral bound.

Yeah, I'm using a 2H, and I usually go over my sketches with a Prismacolor Ebony pencil, just not these. It's funny cause Rhodia is like my favorite kind of small pad. Cheap and smooth, like 4 dollars with vellum paper. I can't afford anything bigger or heavier. 18 with no job, and all.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Well you are off to a solid start! I didn't start drawing till I was 18 as well and you're doing much better than me at that time :)

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There's definitely a lot of Gabe influence on your drawings there mate. Some of that stuff is super solid page 2, center, looking to the left for one :)

edit: I'd say most of it is looking pretty good.

ninjai on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    My dog when I was a kid was called Beau, he was my best friend, and your drawings have potential, so you're okay in my book.

• Options
    Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

O78ei.jpg

Faces.

pvzpn.jpg

Faces and some floating bodies.

3kLIo.png

Some digital work

• Options
    vTrMah.jpg

New digital

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Shit man there is some killer awesomeness happening here. What are some of your artistic goals and aspirations?

• Options
    ninjai wrote: »
    Shit man there is some killer awesomeness happening here. What are some of your artistic goals and aspirations?

I want to draw comics, mostly. I'm probably going to send panels over to Image at the end of July, to keep me on call. By then I'll be confident in my backgrounds and perspective. I would say a video game concept artist but I don't care for painting. So, illustrator, comic artist.

• Options
    wR7Mi.png
    ClxCB.png

Watching Young Justice with my baby brother, decided to throw down.

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Looking good. One crit would be the shine on Robin's mask. It lines up to close to his eyes which are also plain white. A streaky shine might work better there to keep them separate.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I like the character facial expressions going on with your characters you are giving them alot of depth

• Options
    JHS1s.png

The eyebrows, horrible posture, and oddly placed ears were on purpose. Anything else was probably a mistake. Also my Gabe-biting is at an all time high.

• Options
    tTFAM.png

Trying to figure out painting.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Great success so far. Maybe you'd want to turn down your brush flow to 15% or something like that, avoids the aliasing.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really love the confidence you seem to have in your lines. Very nice. Your figures could use a little more structure, theres some weirdness in them that makes it look like you are constructing all the parts independent of each other. Make sure clothing isn't getting in the way of you seeing the anatomy.

Love your faces and colors, though. Keep posting!

• Options
    pMrQF.jpg

Working with more children's book type stuff, and it's quickly becoming my favorite way to do lines and colors.

m3nace, the brush I used for it just sort of does that so I switch to a different square brush until I can figure it out.

Iruka, thanks I think it's the way I do the lines after the sketches, I'll work on it.

• Options
    zL31z.png

Working with manga studio.

• Options
    Another from Manga Studio

MeJxR.jpg

• Options
    I really dig Paint Tool Sai. Doing black and whites.

4VomB.jpg