As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[General Roleplaying Games] It is our Fate to Run the Shadows Bearing Torches

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    kaorti wrote: »
    @Vanguard - Thanks for linking me to that podcast. I've downloaded the game and I'm listing to it. I'm really liking how the first episode it going, and I think my current group could stand to emulate their discussion about the game's themes before the game starts.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've only made it to episode 8ish so far, but it's been solid. It's crazy that they've made it to episode 30. I've never had a game stay together that long.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    On your added thoughts:
    Well as far as killing the guy early, while it might disrupt the ritual (might), it would bring the wards down anyway.

Re: creating a new member of the bloodline, I had considered 3 possibilities, depending on the tone the players have taken the campaign to by that time:
    1) The curse prevents it, though the players might not know that for sure. In any case, the heir would encourage them to undertake the tasks of Act 2, just in case no conception occurs.
    2) Even if a child could be conceived in time, it is unlikely that the leaders of the realm would accept the legitimacy of an unborn child, given they've already begun to question the legitimacy of the bastard heir.
    3) The heir's captors considered this possibility, and took...steps to prevent it. D:

The mystical coma is a good idea as well, and I may have that be a gradual progression as Act 2 continues, having him gradually become less lucid and responsive until he's full-coma around the halfway point.

Another thing that I just remembered, could use some advice:
    When I asked my players what they'd like to see in the campaign re:their respective characters, one guy said he thought it'd be interesting for his character to have a love interest. He's not just being creepy, it is a legitimately interesting hook for his particular character.

That said, I am not sure how to introduce this into play without the risk of creeping out the other players or boring them. How is this usually done?

As to your second spoiler:
    A lot could be handled through "traditional" rpg courting, using letters and secondaries to deliver messages while on the job. If the romance option is more active and engaged in the plot, it could be closer to an action movie type romance, lots of one liners while killing bad guys. If things get a little mushy, let the other players and their characters react, they can give their companion a (good-natured) hard time about it. If things get too mushy, our groups always went the Star Trek route - fade to black, cut to Kirk pulling on his boots in the morning.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I would really, really love to play--and to run--Burning Wheel. The whole premise of fighting for your beliefs is right up my alley. I love the simple resolution mechanic. And everything about it speaks to me as a gamer.

But I don't buy hard copies of books anymore, because all of my gaming buddies are too far away to use them, and I don't have the space for them, and PDFs are better to search from anyway. And since it is a well-documented fact that BW is never ever going to be a PDF, and I don't want to not support the industry, I'll just never get to play it, and that angers me.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2012
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I would really, really love to play--and to run--Burning Wheel. The whole premise of fighting for your beliefs is right up my alley. I love the simple resolution mechanic. And everything about it speaks to me as a gamer.

But I don't buy hard copies of books anymore, because all of my gaming buddies are too far away to use them, and I don't have the space for them, and PDFs are better to search from anyway. And since it is a well-documented fact that BW is never ever going to be a PDF, and I don't want to not support the industry, I'll just never get to play it, and that angers me.

I would highly recommend you make an exception in this one case. $25 for a 600+ page hardcover book that has everything you need is a steal. Also, Luke Crane (the creator of BW) has been discussing making digital character burners for desktop and tablets on the boards. I think it's still in the early planning stages, but it looks like it will happen.

Check out these threads:

http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?12447-Market-Research-Round-2

This is about what it will include.

http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?12513-Market-Research-Round-3

This is about using Kickstarter to fund it. Chime in so some of those stretch goals look better.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Crawl! Is hosting a design your own class contest for DCC with the best making it into a future issue. You can see the details here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=41850

My Orc is already in the running, and I think I figured out how to build a Necromancer today. Now all I have to do is put together 56347534573569 tables for it.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Pretty close to completing a Ranger and Warlord class

Would like to build a shit-ton more racial classes

• Options

Could I see your Ranger build? I'm not looking to ape ideas from it, but I'm just curious how it is differentiated from the Warrior.

Racial classes, I think, are where the most fun is at. I'm thinking of doing a Skaven class and having it be some hybrid of the Thief and Wizard (limited spellcasting, no luck but Thief skills).

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    So, I just got the One Ring because I have no willpower (ironic, I know).

I shall report upon the dark and forbidden contents tomorrow.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

Could I see your Ranger build? I'm not looking to ape ideas from it, but I'm just curious how it is differentiated from the Warrior.

Racial classes, I think, are where the most fun is at. I'm thinking of doing a Skaven class and having it be some hybrid of the Thief and Wizard (limited spellcasting, no luck but Thief skills).

I'll send you a rough draft! It's actually built more around the Thief and Halfling than the warrior (the Thief's sneak attack expanded out to whenever he's making ranged attacks, coupled with the Halfling's dual wielding, but retracted to only when he's wielding small weapons)

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I just discovered roll1d12. Amazing.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Yessss...Yesssss...!
    Cubicle 7 really has something there, it is not to be missed.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Everything I've heard about Shards of the Exalted Dream sounds goddamned amazing.

Its just too bad its Exalted.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

I'll send you a rough draft! It's actually built more around the Thief and Halfling than the warrior (the Thief's sneak attack expanded out to whenever he's making ranged attacks, coupled with the Halfling's dual wielding, but retracted to only when he's wielding small weapons)

That sounds cool.
    You can send drafts to gazrax at gmail dot com

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, damn, I had forgotten it was at the printers. That was a nice surprise this morning. :D

hm5e.jpg

(I *really* need a better camera.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Are those Zocchi dice to the left?

• Options
    Indeed they are. Surprised you were able to make it out.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Indeed they are. Surprised you were able to make it out.

It's the d3, really. No other dice look like that. Did you ink those yourself or get them pre-inked?

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Came inked, although I need to go through and re-ink some of them (the d3 and d24 specifically).

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Came inked, although I need to go through and re-ink some of them (the d3 and d24 specifically).

The d24 is pretty shallow. I recommend crayons. Just take a soft crayon and mash it back and forth. Once all sides are done, polish it with a napkin.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »

Yessss...Yesssss...!

how does it compare to Middle Earth Roleplaying? In terms of capturing the feel of the setting that system worked exceedinly well. And the sourcebooks are excellent reads.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Yessss...Yesssss...!

how does it compare to Middle Earth Roleplaying? In terms of capturing the feel of the setting that system worked exceedinly well. And the sourcebooks are excellent reads.

As a fan of MERP (it's the first RPG I ever played!), I think TOR is better, only because it approaches the game from a more modern story-game POV, and goes out of its way to hard-wire the themes of the books (fellowship, maintaining hope in times of fellowship, the mythic personas of the different peoples) into the game, whereas MERP, though a great game and full to the brim with useful Middle Earth info for GMs to craft a game around, treated the material in a more old-school way of keeping the system and setting fairly separate. If that makes sense.

• Options

Yessss...Yesssss...!

As a fan of MERP (it's the first RPG I ever played!), I think TOR is better, only because it approaches the game from a more modern story-game POV, and goes out of its way to hard-wire the themes of the books (fellowship, maintaining hope in times of fellowship, the mythic personas of the different peoples) into the game, whereas MERP, though a great game and full to the brim with useful Middle Earth info for GMs to craft a game around, treated the material in a more old-school way of keeping the system and setting fairly separate. If that makes sense.

I thought MERP actually ended up (perhaps untintentionally) making the combat mechanics really reinforce the themes in the setting quite well.

Since it is based on Rollmaster, combat has a large random component and is super deadly. While you have hit points, these only cover bruises and minor injuries (or even just a representation of your luck running out). It is very easy to end up with injuries that are quite difficult to deal with (broken bones, arterial bleeding, maimed or chopped off limbs, destroyed eyes or other permanent injuries, instadeath). Magicial healing, and magic in general, follows the setting in being quite hard to get hold of.

The result is a game where even very powerful characters need to be wary of a common orc because a scimitar in the gut will kill you. This matches the books quite well (less so the movies).

Anyway, after running it a couple times I thought the mechanics of MERP actually reinforced the actual written account of Middle Earth (as opposed to the spinoff tropes of "Tolkienesq Fantasy") very well.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Never been a fan of Rollmaster. A system where a little girl can throw a rock from down the street, beam you in the head and kill you? That sounds like fun. Sign me up.

I remember there was a LotR RPG that came about the same time as the movies. Used a lot of images from the films. It was gorgeously presented and had a few interesting ideas, but most of it was just the d20 system recast without levels and using 3d6 exploding dice. The corruption system seemed stolen right out of the L5R RPG. It had feats and the way it handled races and combat was basically identical to D&D. The magic system had some interesting ideas with more subtle magical effects that seemed designed to encourage clever application. I think that may have been an accident rather than planned by the designers, in retrospect.

Anyway, I like what I'm reading here about The One Ring RPG, but right now I'm holding out for the Iron Kingdoms RPG. If it's terrible I'll give TOR a look. You've also made me want to check out Paranoia, but I doubt I could ever get my players to go for it.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Never been a fan of Rollmaster. A system where a little girl can throw a rock from down the street, beam you in the head and kill you? That sounds like fun. Sign me up.

I remember there was a LotR RPG that came about the same time as the movies. Used a lot of images from the films. It was gorgeously presented and had a few interesting ideas, but most of it was just the d20 system recast without levels and using 3d6 exploding dice. The corruption system seemed stolen right out of the L5R RPG. It had feats and the way it handled races and combat was basically identical to D&D. The magic system had some interesting ideas with more subtle magical effects that seemed designed to encourage clever application. I think that may have been an accident rather than planned by the designers, in retrospect.

Anyway, I like what I'm reading here about The One Ring RPG, but right now I'm holding out for the Iron Kingdoms RPG. If it's terrible I'll give TOR a look. You've also made me want to check out Paranoia, but I doubt I could ever get my players to go for it.

Judging from your posts here and in the 5E thread, Paranoia is probably not the game for you.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Thanks for talking about The One Ring RPG. My gaming group is all going to GenCon this year, and one of our player's birthday is that Saturday. I was wondering what to get him, and a copy of TOR seems perfect, as he's a huge LotR fan.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

Judging from your posts here and in the 5E thread, Paranoia is probably not the game for you.

Like I said, not something I could get my players into. I'm not interested in it as a game but I want to read it. It sounds fascinating.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Paranoia is ridiculous, over the top, crazy times. It would be great for those nights when people can't show up. I mean it's no HoL, but it's pretty silly.

• Options
    so for anyone who has read the One Ring stuff, what kind of characters does it encourage? What do they have the players doing in any adventures they pack-in with the core books (if any). I understand it takes place around Erebor and Rhovinion (spelling?) during the 90ish years between The Hobbit and Fellowship.

What is TOR's "Keep on the Borderlands" like?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    so for anyone who has read the One Ring stuff, what kind of characters does it encourage? What do they have the players doing in any adventures they pack-in with the core books (if any). I understand it takes place around Erebor and Rhovinion (spelling?) during the 90ish years between The Hobbit and Fellowship.

It's a totally different thing from MERP. I liked MERP a lot, and you're right about how MERP reinforced an aspect or two of LOTR, but TOR explicitly and clearly has you create Tolkienesque characters who work in a spiritual world where despair and hope, not swords and armour, are the real conflict.

The PCs in the initial book are all ones from the areas you mentioned. There are no rules for creating a Gondorian, for example.

For me, MERP was a Tolkien-influenced D&D-type hack and slash game. TOR is a proper Middle Earth RPG.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

It's a totally different thing from MERP. I liked MERP a lot, and you're right about how MERP reinforced an aspect or two of LOTR, but TOR explicitly and clearly has you create Tolkienesque characters who work in a spiritual world where despair and hope, not swords and armour, are the real conflict.

The PCs in the initial book are all ones from the areas you mentioned. There are no rules for creating a Gondorian, for example.

For me, MERP was a Tolkien-influenced D&D-type hack and slash game. TOR is a proper Middle Earth RPG.

This is exactly what I wanted to say, only phrased much more eloquently, thank you.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Nealneal wrote: »
    Paranoia is ridiculous, over the top, crazy times. It would be great for those nights when people can't show up. I mean it's no HoL, but it's pretty silly.

I only played one game of Paranoia, but I "won." We randomly selected secret societies, and I got PURGE. My secret goal was to cause as much damage as possible. I, in fact, secretly caused so much chaos and mayhem that Friendly Computer decided the only course of action was to nuke the entire area our party was in. Sure, the party, all our clones, and an uncounted number of innocent people died, but hey, I completed my goal.

Good times.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

I'm not sure I understand every part of the question but I will do my best to answer it. The One Ring core book focuses on The Wilderland (or Rhovanion), the area past the Misty Mountains and largely focusing on Mirkwood. Reading the Hobbit would provide much more background material than the LotR. In place of races, characters are based around cultures, the included cultures only being those found within the area: Elves of Mirkwood, Bardings (Men of Dale), Beornings (the wild men Beorn became chief of after the Hobbit), Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, Woodmen of Wilderland (mentioned in passing in the books but arguably the focus of most of the One Ring material), and Hobbits of the Shire (a stretch I know, but young Hobbits were known to try to follow in Bilbos footsteps and you can't have a LotR game without Hobbits). Cultures have different starting stats as well as unique culture abilities, which are the closest the game has to magic (Dwarven warding doors, the ability to talk to birds, etc). All characters pick backgrounds which alter stats further, and pick personal traits to give characters flavor. Each character also has to pick a motivation for being an adventurer, which can be exploited when they begin falling for the shadow.

All characters are adventurers who have left their society and home for whatever their chosen reason is (curiosity, fighting off forces of evil in the wild, etc). Players aren't really soldiers, and this is shown through the standing mechanic. Players lose standing with their homeland, having shamefully abandoned helping the community. This can be recovered by spending off seasons (time and continuity are big in the game) at home or investing funds in the local community. Think of it like a credit rating ability in Call of Cthulhu.

As for what the actually do, the mechanics are basically split in to three kinds of encounters: combat encounters for those with combat skills, traveling for those with survival skills, and social encounters for those with diplomat skills. It's good to have a well rounded group, as not having a good hunter or lookout with make traveling to combat that much worse, and having an ill-spoken dwarf in a game with racial prejudice can often lead to bad things. The included scenario, without spoiling anything, involves the party searching for a lost person of high standing, for money, and encountering different challenges on the way.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

Yessss...Yesssss...!

When you said that, I figured you meant the Decipher game, and I was going to internet fight you. But, I looked it up, and it's not what I was thinking.

Hooray Google!

So, I have no clue, other than this is really good. :P

Anyway, this game looks so great. I'm thinking I'm going to start up an IRC on Penny Arcade in a few days, so that will probably be with where I gush about it.

• Options
    I've always wanted TOR, but it does have a pretty hefty price tag, especially considering I don't see it something my group would be interested in playing. The books look nice, though.

• Options
    So these were released yesterday:

dd-reprint-covers.jpg

Anyone grabbing them?

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I saw them in the FLGS and wasn't impressed; they were shrinkwrapped so I couldn't see if they'd done anything different inside, but the outside was nothing special. For being "premium, hardbound books" they looked an awful lot like basic WotC hardbacks with gold-edged pages and a leathery-looking cover (not any sort of actual leathering though, covers were still bog standard inked that I could tell). Not worth the pricetag, memorial fund or no.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That has to be amongst the ugliest cover art I've ever seen.
    So no.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I dunno, there's a certain charm to Gropey the Dragon on the right there.

• Options
    They are just reprints, so you are not getting anything special beyond the books (if you didn't own them) and the contribution to the GG Memorial fund. You can find them on eBay for like $70, which is a much better price.

I was planning on grabbing them, but between me being poor at the moment and DCC RPG, I can't see myself ever actually running a 1E game.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    If they were cheap, I would. Just for the hilarity of owning 1E.

But yeah, not paying a lot for something I'll probably never play. Been there, done that.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
This discussion has been closed.