As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime] Pre PAX Board Game Night - GAMING ROOMS ANNOUNCED (Thursday, Aug 30 4PM - ??)

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Hello All! With the blessing Gene Parmesan and Moe Fwacky, this is the 'official' PrePAX Boardgame Meetup thread, containing actual event information. It's a lot less formal than last year's and won't be setting up specific games, times and seats.

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Sheraton has [legit] concerns about fire code violations with so many people in the lobbies. They've given us dedicated gaming rooms that include table service! Gaming is not prohibited in the lobbies, but on Thursday night when the crowd are biggest, please make every effort to game in one of the rooms (listed below). Since this is the first time we've gotten rooms like this, be flexible and understand that there will be kinks to be worked out. If you get asked by the Sheraton staff to move, please be respectful and honor their request.

The hotel has indicated that players are welcome in the bar, as long as they're ordering an amount equivalent to a normal table seating each hour. Basically, no tablesquatting and ordering one soda for 6 people all night.

WHAT: A coordinated meetup the night before PAX for anyone with board games, or anyone who wants to play boardgames.
WHERE: Sheraton Hotel: Diamond A&B and Chelan Rooms. These are the rooms across from the fireplace lobby area – kind of behind the desk.
WHEN: 4:00 PM until late, late, late

she460_1stFloor_Lobby.jpg

HOW IT WORKS:
On the Thread
1. If you have games to bring, please post what you're bringing here.
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post here.

Once Present at the Sheraton
1. There will be an info table staffed by cookie brigadiers/PAXers from 4:00 until 10 OR 11 ish in the bar. We'll try to have one in the game rooms as well. Consider a donation to Child's Play and a cookie before getting your game on! (If you can't find the table, KEEP LOOKING. There's only so much ground to cover.)

2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"

3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.

4. If you have games you're willing to loan out, you can leave them at the info table - OR - leave information about where you'll be sitting so that the brigadiers/check in folks can direct people to you. WARNING: If you leave games to be checked out without your supervision, you run the risk of lost pieces or games.

5. Remember to tip your server!! They have to make a living that night too. Being good guests is critical to this event's welcome at the Sheraton.

GAME ON!!

Requested Games
Arkham Horror
Takenoko
Burning Wheel RPG
Power Grid
Epic Spell War
Super Dungeon Explore
Siege of the Citadel

Available Games

shadowscout's Google Doc with Links to Game Descriptions

7 Wonders + All Expansions
Arkham Horror (maybe)
Ascension
Aye Dark Overlord
BANG
Battlestar Galactica + Pegasus Expansion
Betrayal at House on the Hill; 1st edition
Briscas
Carcasonne?
Cards Against Humanity
Castle Ravenloft
Catchphrase
Chaos in the Old World
China Rails
Civilization: The Board Game
Clue
Colossal Arena
Cosmic Encounter
Cthulu Dice
Cthulu Gloom
Descent 2nd (maybe)
Dicecapades
Dominion
Dune
Eclipse
EDH Decks
FaceEater
Fluxx - Monty Python
Fluxx - Zombie
Game of Thrones (maybe)
Gamers vs. Evil
Infernal Contraption
Infinite City
Kapitän Wackelpudding
Creationary
Kittens in a Blender
Last Night on Earth + Radioactive Grave Dead
Magic the Gathering
Mansions of Madness
Marian Dice
Martiandice (may be the same thing as the line above, not sure?)
Memoir '44 + Pacific Theater and Eastern Front expansions
Mertwig's Maze
mtg
Munchin - Pirate
Munchkin - Star (C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER)
Munchkin - Super
Munchkin - Vampire
Munchkin Fu
Munchkin with Expansions
Munchkin Quest
Ninja Burger + 1
Nuts
Paiko
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Push Fight
Puzzle Strike
Quarriors
Ratuki
Risk
RoboRally
Rumble in R'lyeh
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Settlers of Catan
Settlers of Catan Dice
Seven Wonders
Shadow Hunters
Small World - Base Set
Star Fleet Battles (Maybe)
Stratego (maybe)
Sunrise City
The Burning Wheel
The Gift
The Great Dalmuti
The Resistance
The Sword
Thunderstone Advance + Caverns of Bane
Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride - Europe
Ticket to Ride - USA
Tsuro
Warhammer Invasion
World of Warcraft Board Game (maybe)
Wrath of Ashardalon
Zombie Dice + Expansions
Zombicide
Zombies (Maybe)

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
Moe Fwacky on

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    i have a copy of Clue i can bring along if people still do that. Maybe we can make our own custom PAX version?

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on the table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"

Not to nitpick but I initially read this as "put the box on the checkin table" which I realized was wrong once I thought about it.

In any case, the Wife and I are planning on being there after the Pre-Pax Dinner (as part of our self-forced socialization night!) I'm planning on bringing Cards Against Humanity, and my standard set of "Pax Lines games" (Zombie Die, Cuthulu dice, etc.) but that's like it due to the luggage constraints.

@Crogoth, I haven't played Clue in ages, it sounds like it could be fun to try again (once I refresh myself on the rules.)

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »
    Not to nitpick but I initially read this as "put the box on the checkin table" which I realized was wrong once I thought about it.

But nitpicking is what you do. I assumed you were a professional nitpicker. ;-)

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    depending when my secret meeting is this year, I may try to slip down to this with a few games..(usually secret meeting is this night but LOL)

• Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    I will at least be bringing Cosmic Encounter. My 30 hours of straight gaming, in honor of my 30th bday, will begin with this event =).

• Adonus76Adonus76 RDJ's Boat HouseRegistered User regular
    If I can fit them all in my bags I will be bringing:

cards against humanity
    colossal arena
    quarriors
    ascension
    aye dark overlord
    mtg
    sentinels of the multiverse

But nitpicking is what you do. I assumed you were a professional nitpicker. ;-)

If I told you this was closer to the truth than you realize.....

In any case, the Sheraton has multiple lobbies? Really? How did I miss this last year. Is there an easy to type way to describe this, or is it more "you'll have to figure it out when you get there." I found the Lobby with the bar in it (well, I found the bar, because that's what I was looking for) but I didn't know there were other places!

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    What is the check-in table for? I don't remember having anything like this at PAX East.

Also curious if there was any issues with the hotel getting upset with people using the lobbies for gaming like happened at East in 2011?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I may bring Munchkin with a few expansions. Not sure if people would be interested in playing because it's no Cards Against Humanity, but we shall see.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    I may bring Munchkin with a few expansions. Not sure if people would be interested in playing because it's no Cards Against Humanity, but we shall see.

I own CAH but have never gotten a large enough group together to play it since I bought it. (That'd be 6 weeks ago, and I've been busy.)
    That being said, I'm always down for a game of munchkin with more expansions the better!
    Perhaps I'll bring my zombie die bag, cuthulu bag and "Bag 'o Dice" and all their associated rules ;).

I own CAH but have never gotten a large enough group together to play it since I bought it. (That'd be 6 weeks ago, and I've been busy.)
    That being said, I'm always down for a game of munchkin with more expansions the better!
    Perhaps I'll bring my zombie die bag, cuthulu bag and "Bag 'o Dice" and all their associated rules ;).

At East we had a hard time finding a game that had a free seat to play so if you bring it I think you are guaranteed to play it. ;)

• NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    I will also be bringing CAH. Because it's good to the last drop..

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular

I approve of Munchkin!

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

I played Munchkin for my first time last year and loved it. I would definitely be in for some games.

Last year we got in late at night so it was hard to get in on a game, but this year we are taking an early train up so me and my group will be waiting to play some games.

I picked up Puerto Rico at a garage sale the other weekend so I will bring that for people to play.

IhtGIyi.png
    edited July 2012
    What is the check-in table for? I don't remember having anything like this at PAX East.

For this:
    ...the Sheraton has multiple lobbies? Really? How did I miss this last year.

We didn't really need it at PAX East because the lobby area was so compact and visible. Last year at Pax Prime 2011, a lot of people were milling around asking where Gene was, where the games they wanted to play were, and generally being confused by the lobby layout and having a tough time finding their games. It's nice to have a central point where people can come over and say, "hey, how does this work?" or "can you send people over to my table who want to play X?" or "Where's the bloody bar in this place!?"

To simplify, there's no list of set games, seats or times. But since the Brigade will be there with a fairly visible table for cookie dropoff, it's such a small additional effort to answer questions and provide a clipboard for people to track games that it just made sense. Besides, we can foist cookies on everyone from the comfort of our own seats!

Also curious if there was any issues with the hotel getting upset with people using the lobbies for gaming like happened at East in 2011?

I see you were there for that situation too. :(

The Sheraton is historically pretty chill, but they do appreciate prior notice. I worked with the management ahead of time at the Westin for East 2012 to avoid the drama that happened in 2011 and the whole mezzanine thing worked out super well. I'll be doing the same thing with the Sheraton this year so that they know to have extra staff on hand and might even set up some extra gaming tables for us.

LexiconGrrl on
    The Sheraton is historically pretty chill, but they do appreciate prior notice. I worked with the management ahead of time at the Westin for East 2012 to avoid the drama that happened in 2011 and the whole mezzanine thing worked out super well. I'll be doing the same thing with the Sheraton this year so that they know to have extra staff on hand and might even set up some extra gaming tables for us.

Can I just say, you rock! Thank you for setting all this up. This is our first Prime trip so I am guessing we would be one of the confused ones wandering around looking for lobbies. ;)

Also, I changed the wording in the OP from "check-in" table to "info" table. It occurred that calling it 'check-in' seemed a little like it was required, which it's not. Thanks @adidas.angel !

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

I played Munchkin for my first time last year and loved it. I would definitely be in for some games.

Were you in the game with my son (The kinda know-it-all 8 year-old) in the Sheraton lobby last year?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Were you in the game with my son (The kinda know-it-all 8 year-old) in the Sheraton lobby last year?

No, I played in the Demo area of Pax itself with a couple of older guys. One was getting very upset that my friend was cheating even though he had a card that let him cheat.
    It was very funny & a great time.

IhtGIyi.png
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We will also be bringing our Cards Against Humanity as it would be great to actually play a game. (Summer months are busy around my place and super hard to get a group together that want to give it a go) Hubby and I will be heading over after the PPD and looking forward to trying a new game or two.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
    edited July 2012
    We will be bringing CAH also. Still working out what other games we can get in our carry-on bags.

Also is anyone by chance bringing resistance? Played that game for like 2 hours at East this year. LOVE!

adias.angel on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I'm glad to see that I will *not* have to pack CAH down from Alaska to get my Humanity on. I knew this would be the case.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    While I will be attending the PPD/TWDT, I will be bringing my copies of PA: Gamers vs. Evil and Rumble in R'lyeh if there's a responsible adult who wants to care for them. (Don't mind loaning them out but I'd be cheesed if bits got lost or damaged.) They're only 4 player each (I guess 8 if you combined them...) but are superfun. :)

• RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'll bring my copy of The Great Dalmuti. It's a fun, easy card game to play and lends easily to people joining and leaving whenever. It's best with 5-8 players which can sometimes be tough to round up at times.

• Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    My husband & I will be there. Not sure what we will bring yet...

• shufeltsrshufeltsr Registered User new member
    I can bring Risk and Zombie Dice. This sounds like a lot of fun!

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    Mike and I will be taking the train up. Depending on how we're feeling, we might bring our board game, Paiko, out to this for more play. We're hoping to get some people interested in a 32 seat tournament on Sunday afternoon (location TBD, yay free board game). People can PM me if they want details when I get 'em.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • VersuskidVersuskid Maui, HIRegistered User regular

Munchkins! I'm down for a game.

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
    Challenge Coin [ ]. Custom Dice [ ]. Forumer Pin [ ]. On Forumer Badge [ ]
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13
  • Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    I am also going to be bringing Dune and Shadow Hunters. I will be showing up after PPD

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    If everyone loves it that much, I'll bring my expansions so people can grab a box and hit a table. I'll be bringing Munchkin with Dungeons, Need for Steed and Clerical Errors as well as Munchkin Pirates and Munchkin Vampires.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular

That was totally me and my boyfriend in that group (among others)! Rematch time! Wait, didn't I win by Divine Intervention? For real!

We will be stopping by the Sheraton at Prime and hopefully be able to stop and play. While we were at East, we had no time to play, but I smiled very large each time I walked to/from that area near the elevators.

I can't wait to see everyone! PAX is just around the corner now! You can tell I'm excited, I can't stop !!!!'ing!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    MTSonic11 wrote: »

That was totally me and my boyfriend in that group (among others)! Rematch time! Wait, didn't I win by Divine Intervention? For real!

We will be stopping by the Sheraton at Prime and hopefully be able to stop and play. While we were at East, we had no time to play, but I smiled very large each time I walked to/from that area near the elevators.

I can't wait to see everyone! PAX is just around the corner now! You can tell I'm excited, I can't stop !!!!'ing!

Hah, I think I was in that game! That was a good time.

Not staying at the Sheraton this time around, but should be close enough to play me some games. Might bring my enhanced edition copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse if Greater Than Games can get the newest kickstarter copies shipped out pre-pax.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I'm up for Clue, Cards Against Humanity...anything really.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be there. I still haven't decided what game(s) to bring though. CAH (shocking, I know) will almost certainly be coming with me, but past that I don't know. Maybe some dominion or munchkin quest, or perhaps 7 wonders if I ever get around to picking up a copy.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    i have zombie fluxx, and i'll bring it with me. my boyfriend and i are staying at the sheraton, but won't arrive until late-ish (9pm or so). i'll also bring an extra copy of zombie dice.

ohkatey on
    pax primer @ <3
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    A few questions from a 'fence-sitter':

How many people are you expecting to do this thing?

How much space is expected to be dedicated to games?

Will it be normal tables and chairs or will it be the fluffly super-casual hotel lobby furniture repurpased for gaming?

26904.png
    Stupid wrote: »
    A few questions from a 'fence-sitter':
    These are not stupid questions. They're excellent for anyone who hasn't been to this before.
    How many people are you expecting to do this thing?
    I'd estimate that last year there were around 150 people
    How much space is expected to be dedicated to games?
    We pretty much invade the Sheraton and take over any vacant space in the bar, the north lobby, or the floors. So the answer is: as much as we can take.
    Will it be normal tables and chairs or will it be the fluffly super-casual hotel lobby furniture repurpased for gaming?
    Both. Last year there were some tables set up for a previous non-PAX related event and we commandeered them. I'm trying to get some tables and chairs set up but that would be a bonus - plan for expecting just regular hotel lobby furniture and bar type coffee tables and comfy chairs.

Think of it as if your favorite game store, with all the greatest games you loved, left a bigass stack of them in the bar of a major hotel for people to just wander in and play.

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    If i can find(or buy if i can't find it) and can fit it in my bag I'll bring Stratego

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    Mike said he'd only need a kick of caffeine to ensure he could game after the train, so we'll definitely bring Paiko. We're in the midst of planning a small 32-seat tournament Sunday at PAX, and hoping we can drum up some interest. There's a 1 in 3 chance you'll get a board at the tournament. :)

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    We'll be in the Sheraton, so Brian and I will be there probably after dinner that night! I'm hoping for games of Arkham and/or Galactica, but I'm up for everything, board games and handheld (only catch is I don't own a copy of Galactica, and I don't know if I have room to pack all my Arkham sets in my suitcase, so I'll be relying on others who can bring the games.)

This discussion has been closed.