As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Austin? (South?)

akjakakjak TheraSpooky GymRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX Archive
http://www.gamespot.com/6387231

Huh. I wonder if this will be one of the stretch goals as the Kickstarter approaches $1m.

Not sure how I feel about this. I guess I'd hope that 3 PAXen wouldn't stretch the guys and the community too thin.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
Twitch: akThera
Steam: Thera
zerzhul on

• Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder what happened to the notion that the 3rd PAX (if it ever happened) would go International.

That aside, I'd love an Austin PAX, seeing as my brother now lives there and can't make it up to PAXPrime. Not sure where they'd fit it into the calendar though. Mid-winter?

• Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    lol didn't we talk about this last year? And they were like, no way, not Austin! Maybe i'm remembering it wrong.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Manchester. England. You know it makes sense.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well I thought I had read somewhere that they had been seriously investigating a PAX England, but that it ended up not being feasible and would stomp on too many other shows. I don't have a link because I'm just working from memory, but I swears I'm not making this up /completely/

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I personally dislike this idea.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I remember that as well Zerzhul. I'm all for Austin, since i live here. But there is already the SXSW Game Convention in March and then RTX in July. I just pray that its not in the summer time. Cause oh man is it hot down here in the summer.

• Options
    If PAX Austin is a real thing, I would guess it would be in the winter, and they'd push east a little closer to prime.

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The kickstarter page strongly suggested another PAX will be created, but where or when remains to be seen.

BTW, PAX "South" in Late January, East in Late April/Early May and Prime in Late September would be baller.

Axon on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Khoi did a poll last year some time about a EuroPAX, but never published the results. He was concerned about clashing with Eurogamer which is held September - October in London, there is also an event in Nottingham, GameCity held in May, there was an event held by Game near Birmingham but since their collapse ... Rezzed has just happened in Brighton for the first time 2weeks ago. Neither Eurogamer nor GameCity are anywhere as big as PAX, or as much fun; I go to Eurogamer every year.

To have PAX in the UK would be amazing, and out of the 3 major cities, Manchester is a massive air transport hub, the event venues are central, surrounded by hotels, bars, clubs, restaurants/cafes and shopping. It would be just perfect. We need to share PAX with the rest of the world, starting with Manchester!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    PAX Amsterdam. Easy to get to from anywhere in the world.

• Options
    Let's not go too far off the beaten path in this thread. We generally don't allow "PAX My Town" threads, but the article linked in the OP is the first serious movement we've seen on this in awhile. Hence sticking to actual news like the poll from last year or articles specifically about this.

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Right,
    So let's assume a 3rd pax in the US, and let's assume it's centrally located (i.e. not costal.) Austin would seem to fit this bill.
    I disagree with Zerzhul's prediction above though (unless I'm misreading it.) The Paxes (Paxi? Paxen?) are fairly evenly spaced already (roughly 6 months apart give or take a month.) I suspect we'd see a shift to keep them roughly equadistant. Given weather patterns I wouldn't make Austin a summer PAX, so maybe shift Seattle up to July/August Timeframe, Move Central pax (presumed in Austin for this hypothetical) to the winter time (Jan/Feb) and shift East a few weeks down to late April/May. This makes them fairly equadistant (allowing for the best planning time) and is weather happy for each location.
    Again, all hypotheticals.

This would make Austin somewhat like the "Covention center of the world" though, the article mentions the 2 gaming conventions but misses SxSW which is huge! Certianly that'd play with scheduling as well.

• Options
    tsrblke wrote: »
    I disagree with Zerzhul's prediction above though (unless I'm misreading it.)

shift Seattle up to July/August Timeframe, Move Central pax (presumed in Austin for this hypothetical) to the winter time (Jan/Feb) and shift East a few weeks down to late April/May. This makes them fairly equadistant (allowing for the best planning time) and is weather happy for each location.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    If PAX Austin is a real thing, I would guess it would be in the winter, and they'd push east a little closer to prime.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Except instead of pulling Prime back to July, I would push East into May, either way, allowing a winter Austin PAX.

Hopefully someone gets them to clarify this information soon.

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFqEYcGKnM
    If you watch the video from the Mike & Jerry Comic-Con panel, at the 54:30 mark (the last question) it is strongly implied that the first international PAX would be in Melbourne, Australia.

The Q&A about Austin was just after the 40:00 mark.

agilemania on
  • Options
    Every time Mike says "robert can I say anything?" I think everyone jumps.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Except PAX Prime is already committed to the WSCC until 2018. So unless PAX Austin doesn't happen until 2019, they're probably not shuffling Prime anywhere.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Every time Mike says "robert can I say anything?" I think everyone jumps.

Made me giggle toward the end.

I would be very excited to see PAX head to Austin. It's a place I've always wanted to visit so this would just give me one more reason to go. :^:

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I'd rather see PAX go international before going central-USA, but wherever it ends up, I'll be there.

NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Except PAX Prime is already committed to the WSCC until 2018. So unless PAX Austin doesn't happen until 2019, they're probably not shuffling Prime anywhere.

Well there goes my idea.

cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Often contracts for events that far out have wiggle room on dates. You are more contracting to do it there that year, then the actual date chosen. But Labor day is a good weekend, and I believe Robert has stated one of the reasons they chose it is hotel prices are quite good. If they are ultimately working towards 4 PAX's (adding a south and international?) then leaving Prime at East at their current time slots makes sense.

I would guess we will hear more either very soon (if the news was about to break anyway) or after Prime, as they usually seem to concentrate on one PAX at a time.

I wonder sometimes, If Mike occasionally asks Robert "can I say anything" just to troll us. Even if there is no big secret, he just might want to start rumors.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Beker wrote: »
    I wonder sometimes, If Mike occasionally asks Robert "can I say anything" just to troll us. Even if there is no big secret, he just might want to start rumors.

I'm certain there is some truth to this

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I understand that PAX UK was looked at very seriously until they realised they would stomp all over Eurogamer, which PA didn't think was at all fair. The venue within the UK was going to be London/SE thanks to the transport links and that the bulk of the UK's population lives in that region, for good or ill.

So the next logical place would be Australia, as many antipodeans do travel to Prime so I wouldn't be surprised for it to surface there.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    I remember that as well Zerzhul. I'm all for Austin, since i live here. But there is already the SXSW Game Convention in March and then RTX in July. I just pray that its not in the summer time. Cause oh man is it hot down here in the summer.

SXSW is more of a general tech convention (competes with the music and film crowds too) and RTX was much more YouTube/web culture driven than I expected it to be. I think pax would fill the role of video game convention nicely.

This discussion has been closed.