As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    I was wondering who put those donuts in the middle of the bay bridge a few months ago.

XBL: heavenkils
  • Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    My son loves Ken Block and all the crazy shit he does. So, I love it too, just because of all the looks of amazement and "Did you see that dad?!"

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    As someone who shoots & edits video for a living, my favorite part was the GoPro bullet time rigs they set up around some of the stunts. It took me a couple of views to process how they got those shots live on location like that. I think that since every other time I've seen that camera trick it's been a studio shot with lots of FX, I had a bit of a hard time processing that kind of shot in the real world.

I'm also a sucker for super-slowmo shots (my guess would either be a Red Epic at up to 300 fps, or a Phantom Flex at up to a hojillion fps).

So yeah, there was some cool driving, but the shooting is what really got me on this video.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    101 degrees today, I start my car after work, drive the half mile to my wife's job to pick her up, and as I pull into her building's parking lot, my AC suddenly blows hot and vapor comes out from under the hood. Engine temp is normal, I park, turn off the car, and there's a loud hiss. Pop the hood and... the freon pressure sensor has blown off. The entire system vented. Couldn't push the plug back into the socket because of it's location, the only place my hand fit where I could reach it was right up against the alternator which isn't the coolest part in the car after the engine's been running.

Can't really decide what to do. There's a service bulletin on the switch, but that's just for it leaking, and it sounds like the leak would be on the socket side where it screws to the freon line, not the plug side. Don't have time to take it to a dealer. Don't want to plug it back in and charge the system only to find it leaks and blows again. A replacement for the socket side is $60...

nibXTE7.png
  • ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Were it my car, I'd go to the shop and pay them probably around $200 to make it make with the cold again.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Just $200? Be glad you don't live someplace hot. Down here in Ft. Lauderdale, that's a make it work regardless of how much it's going to cost. I had to live a summer with no AC in my car. Even doing eighty with the windows down on the Turnpike, I was drenched in sweat.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I have no real idea how much it would cost. I am just guessing based on a $60 part + labor. I'm likely way off.

Fortunately I'm in cool, temperate New England. Temps over 100 are rare. Still, any time it's over 85 degrees, I've got my AC on.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Ugh, I went several years without air conditioning in many 240 and it was pretty brutal. I think air conditioning might be the best feature of my Civic

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I knew people at AutoX who would take the AC out of their car, which was also their daily driver, just to save weight. I swear that must save a whole 30lbs. *rolls eyes*

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Well, factor in the weight loss from sweating your ass off in your car for months at a time...

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a black car too. At least the seats are just cloth... But the temps for the next week+ are 90's all day. It was 86 at 7:30 this morning when i left for work...

Looking at forum posts it seems to be $350-400 for the dealer to repair it, then another ~$150 to get the system charged. I'm going to go with the $60 part and a DIY R134 kit.

nibXTE7.png
    Just realized the engine would be cool enough to root around in finally. Good news: It's not the $60 plug socket that screws into the freon line that would've been near impossible to access without taking the front of the car off. Bad news: It is the plug that went into said socket, the plastic clip on it decided it couldn't take it any more and snapped off for some reason. Why bad news? I can't find the plug and wiring harness anywhere online...

nibXTE7.png
  • MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Zerocz wrote: »
    I have no real idea how much it would cost. I am just guessing based on a $60 part + labor. I'm likely way off.

Fortunately I'm in cool, temperate New England. Temps over 100 are rare. Still, any time it's over 85 degrees, I've got my AC on.

It's been 95 degrees for the past 2 weeks.

Balls. Looks like the only way to get that plug is to buy an entire engine wiring harness. $365. Calling the dealer tomorrow to see if they can get ahold of just that plug...

nibXTE7.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'd love to see some actual behind the scenes or a making of a Gymkhana video, but this short interview at least gives some insight into how they got permission to film in SF and what went into a few of the shots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJm055l_uE&feature=plcp

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    So I very nearly bought an '88 fc rx7 for $500 yesterday. In the posting dude said it ran, but when I emailed him he said it would have to be towed or trailer'd. At $500 I wasn't expecting much, but I was kind of hoping I'd be able to limp it back home. Shit, I'd gladly pay $500 to have the chance to tear open a 13B just to see its gooey innards. Even if I couldn't make it work again I think it'd make a neat end table.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    LOL

"Running" and "drivable" are two completely different things. Maybe the brakes are bad or the rear diff is locked up, or the tires are bald and flat. Maybe the transmission is missing everything above 2nd gear!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    LOL

"Running" and "drivable" are two completely different things. Maybe the brakes are bad or the rear diff is locked up, or the tires are bald and flat. Maybe the transmission is missing everything above 2nd gear!

Or it hasn't been registered for years. If an older car is listed as "running," don't expect to be able to drive it anywhere.

• wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    So I very nearly bought an '88 fc rx7 for $500 yesterday. In the posting dude said it ran, but when I emailed him he said it would have to be towed or trailer'd. At $500 I wasn't expecting much, but I was kind of hoping I'd be able to limp it back home. Shit, I'd gladly pay $500 to have the chance to tear open a 13B just to see its gooey innards. Even if I couldn't make it work again I think it'd make a neat end table.

I've got a garage full of 13b parts if you want some. I'm actually considering selling my '85 rx7 so that I can focus on my karmann ghia.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    wmelon wrote: »

I've got a garage full of 13b parts if you want some. I'm actually considering selling my '85 rx7 so that I can focus on my karmann ghia.

Obvious solution: rotary ghia

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Hundred bucks for a vac pump and another fifty for a set of gauges at Harbor Freight. Dang Auto Zone and Advanced Auto didn't rent pumps, just "AC pressure test kits." Got the pressure switch Friday, going to install it, vac the lines and recharge tomorrow. Now the trick is to find R134 without leak stop in it.

nibXTE7.png
    Also

BgMRq.jpg

Next up: 100k.

nibXTE7.png

Obvious solution: rotary ghia

Thats actually the plan. Already got the motor all mounted up in it. Just gotta work out cooling and wire everything up

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

This might be a somewhat odd request, but do you happen to have some old rotors laying around? I'm going to make a concrete top table soon and I've seen some cool tables where people have put in some gears or other such things into the concrete. I've been contemplating using just some random mechanical gears, but a 13b rotar would be really awesome.

:o

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Note to anyone who buys the Harbor Freight R134a gauge set: The valve on the gauges is counter-clockwise open, clockwise close, the valve that attaches to the AC port is THE OPPOSITE. And there is nothing in the instructions to tell you this! So I spent an hour pulling a vacuum in just the gauge lines, then couldn't understand why freon didn't flow into the system. Then I got to spend another hour pulling a vacuum in the actual AC lines.

But, car blows nice and cold now, so net positive I guess.

nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2012
    Also
    BgMRq.jpg

heh.

I'm glad VW has moved away from that red display. It just doesn't look as good as the black & white one in their newer cars. Not to mention the one in my old car would always freak out in hot weather and flicker on and off...

jimb213 on
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Also
    BgMRq.jpg

heh.

I'm glad VW has moved away from that red display. It just doesn't look as good as the black & white one in their newer cars. Not to mention the one in my old car would always freak out in hot weather and flicker on and off...

Yea, the Mk 6 dash is way nicer in general imo. I love the Mk 6 speedo and tach, way more pleasant to look at than the Mk 5 design.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Also
    BgMRq.jpg

heh.

I only have problems with it when it's really cold, like 10 Fahrenheit or lower. Then it comes on but there's a lot of readout persistence.

nibXTE7.png
    Also
    BgMRq.jpg

heh.

I only have problems with it when it's really cold, like 10 Fahrenheit or lower. Then it comes on but there's a lot of readout persistence.

I guess it just doesn't work well under extreme temperatures. Mine would only have problems when it was above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe Germany doesn't get as extreme weather as we have here in the states, so they couldn't test it. I actually had the whole front instrument cluster replaced due to it being so wonky (fortunately under warranty!).
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Also
    BgMRq.jpg

heh.

Yea, the Mk 6 dash is way nicer in general imo. I love the Mk 6 speedo and tach, way more pleasant to look at than the Mk 5 design.

Yeah, the whole interior is much nicer moving from Mk. V to Mk. VI. The exterior just had minor tweaks (which I do like), but they really brought the interior up a notch or two between generations.

I kept my MKV because I didn't like the rear of the MKVI. The changed tail lights and switch from the curvy body to the angular one just put me off trading mine in for a new one.

nibXTE7.png

This might be a somewhat odd request, but do you happen to have some old rotors laying around? I'm going to make a concrete top table soon and I've seen some cool tables where people have put in some gears or other such things into the concrete. I've been contemplating using just some random mechanical gears, but a 13b rotar would be really awesome.

:o

I probably have some unusable ones that'd be good for a table.

So a few days ago my Dad went out and traded in his 2010 Santa Fe for a 2012 Santa Fe. He got one with a V6 instead of the 4 his had, extended warranty, yadda yadda yadda, ended up with 2.9% APR and his payment went up $30 over his old payment even though he was upside down on the old one.

Dealership math is weird amirite?

So for poops and snickers I decided to go try my hand at this dealership math is weird thing. Brought in my 2010 Genesis Coupe and started haggling with the salesman over a 2012 Genesis sedan. Long story short, I walked out of there having paid $5k under sticker, with 2.9% APR, and a payment that is $60 per month more than my old one all while putting $0 down.

Dealership math is WEIRD.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    That math isn't weird at all. You forgot to mention that you and your dad probably only had a year or two left to pay on the old cars and now probably have new 3-5 year loans.

That math isn't weird at all. You forgot to mention that you and your dad probably only had a year or two left to pay on the old cars and now probably have new 3-5 year loans.

Incorrect.

My Dad and I both had about 4 years left on our loans.

Steam
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mystery rattle...

Crawl under car...

Aha! Must be these gaskets going bad because it is clearly coming from right here!!

*order gaskets*

*receive 1 gasket*

*order second gasket*

*finally swap out gaskets*

RATTLERATTLERATTLE

*twitch*

I WILL FIND YOU MYSTERY RATTLE AND I WILL KILL YOU.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Clearly the only solution is to get a new car.
    Might I recommend a BRZ? :D

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It would be a significant downgrade :P

• MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    So a few days ago my Dad went out and traded in his 2010 Santa Fe for a 2012 Santa Fe. He got one with a V6 instead of the 4 his had, extended warranty, yadda yadda yadda, ended up with 2.9% APR and his payment went up $30 over his old payment even though he was upside down on the old one.

Dealership math is weird amirite?

So for poops and snickers I decided to go try my hand at this dealership math is weird thing. Brought in my 2010 Genesis Coupe and started haggling with the salesman over a 2012 Genesis sedan. Long story short, I walked out of there having paid $5k under sticker, with 2.9% APR, and a payment that is $60 per month more than my old one all while putting $0 down.

Dealership math is WEIRD.

I'm debating dumping my 2011 Gen Coupe for a 2013 Gen Coupe. Those upgraded engines are calling me.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Not all of us can have a Ferrari, OK?

DaemonSadi wrote: »

Not all of us can have a Ferrari, OK?

Hahaha. They are awesome little cars! No doubt about that. It would just take many hours and lots of money to bring it up to speed.