As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linux Thread - beta version 5 build 6200 alpha release 2

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    apt isn't deprecated and it underlies aptitude.

Silly rabbits.

Apothe0sis on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    apt isn't deprecated and it underlies aptitude.

Silly rabbits.

I didn't say apt was deprecated, I said apt-get was deprecated. :P

I'm not sure if it was deprecated though.

MKR on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's not.

Apothe0sis on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, I am very close to wiping my ubuntu install and reinstalling the 32 bit version. I am losing hair trying to get stuff to work.

I just did that very thing and I'm glad I did. There is not enough support for the 64bit environment right now from what I can see. Just install the 32bit version and save yourself time and frustration.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, I have a stupid question... If I want to download external games and apps for linux, can I download them through my Windows PC at work onto my USB thumbdrive, take it home and install it? Does Ubuntu support external drives by default, or would I have to hunt for some kind of USB drive drivers? Also, if the file system formats are different between my thumb drive and the drive Ubuntu is installed on, will there be trouble?

I'm just asking in advance, in case I can actually get the time to burn a proper CD.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know about your drivers, but I don't think there will be an issue with the file formats. Linux can comprehend just about everything.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yea it should just give you an icon on your desktop for the drive once you plug it in .. no drivers unless perhaps it is an extremely crazy variety of drive :)

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, I am very close to wiping my ubuntu install and reinstalling the 32 bit version. I am losing hair trying to get stuff to work.

I just did that very thing and I'm glad I did. There is not enough support for the 64bit environment right now from what I can see. Just install the 32bit version and save yourself time and frustration.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, so right... Yes.
    I'm gonna get new parts one of theese day. Gonna format my harddrive and make them into 2 partitions, both at 150GB. One for XP and one for Linux.
    So far so good. Xp for gaming, Linux for game devving.
    What linux build should I use though? I know I want to be able to run all UT3 programs and blender and probably a good image manipulator for textures. I don't really intend to do much with the XP build, that's just for gaming, nothing else. Everything else I'll do on the linux (watching stuff, surfing, chatting and playing ut3 aswell :D).
    Anyway, a build that supports alt-tabbing or something similar and/or better. And isn't too resource sucking, I don't want pretty effects, only in games :D

Burning Organ on
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Urgel wrote: »
    Okay, so right... Yes.
    I'm gonna get new parts one of theese day. Gonna format my harddrive and make them into 2 partitions, both at 150GB. One for XP and one for Linux.
    So far so good. Xp for gaming, Linux for game devving.
    What linux build should I use though? I know I want to be able to run all UT3 programs and blender and probably a good image manipulator for textures. I don't really intend to do much with the XP build, that's just for gaming, nothing else. Everything else I'll do on the linux (watching stuff, surfing, chatting and playing ut3 aswell :D).
    Anyway, a build that supports alt-tabbing or something similar and/or better. And isn't too resource sucking, I don't want pretty effects, only in games :D

First of all, I suggest you make your partition something like 200GB for xp and 100 for Linux. Xp and games will take up more memory than your Linux partition will so you mind as well give xp the extra space. Anyway, both main GUIs (KDE and Gnome) have the features you're looking for. I would still suggest ubunutu for starting out with Linux.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll try those then, thanks.

Burning Organ on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, considering your apparent beginner status something like Ubuntu would probably work out for you. It's basically functional "out of the box". There's a few others that would probably work as well.

Ubuntu comes with office software (Open Office), a calender/scheduler (evolution), web browser (Firefox), image manipulation tools (GIMP), CD listening and ripping software, an iTunes/Winamp equivalent (Rhythmbox), and lots of other things that mean you can use your computer immediately after installing Ubuntu. From there it's easy to set up video card drivers (there's a built in utility for it), and then it's a matter of installing the latest Wine to get some of your Windows applications to work (if you need them).

And when you get more experience you can take the system apart and customize the heck out of it, but it's one reason I recommend it, because it's one of those distros where the goal is every day usability right out of the box.

And to the issue of space, thing is it's really easy to use an EXT3 partition in Windows, and less so NTFS on Linux because it's not an open spec so if there's an indexing error you either have to boot Windows or unmount the partition and boot VMware. I've got a large EXT3 partition and I just install my Windows games on that (in such a way that I can usually run them with Wine on Linux if they are compatible).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We have sound. The first tune that was heard over the vast empty seas of Linux was "Celebration" with Kool and the gang. Because that's how I roll.

RichardTauber on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As for Booting from Firewire or USB 2.0 devices: Yes, if your BIOS supports it, otherwise no.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    And to the issue of space, thing is it's really easy to use an EXT3 partition in Windows...
    What software are you using? :)

Zilla360 on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    And to the issue of space, thing is it's really easy to use an EXT3 partition in Windows...

This reminds me of a question I have. What is the swap partition for?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    It does the same thing as the page file in Windows. I.E. uses hard disk space to trade out bits of info as needed when there is a lot of stuff in RAM.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It does the same thing as the page file in Windows. I.E. uses hard disk space to trade out bits of info as needed when there is a lot of stuff in RAM.

Oooooohhhhh, okay. That makes sense now.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to go crazy wild and say Gentoo. I know most people are saying Ubuntu because it's easy to install and comes with a very windows-esque window manager. This is cool and all, I guess.

I however am going to present a different philosophy. If you can already install windows with clicking your mouse and run programs while knowing virtually nothing about the operating system, you should be diving head-long into something different.... and yes, command line based.

The command line is where linux shows its versatility, it's where you learn how to fiddle with the guts of your operating system. You'll also be forced to do a lot of research on your hardware. You may end out cracking open your pc to look at labels, digging out old manuals to look at version information and what types of controllers you have.

I learned more about linux and more specifically about my own hardware doing one single full install of gentoo from the ground up, getting the X-Windows, sound and video working along with network drivers and user accounts. Than I did with 3 months of fucking around with RedHat(now fedora).

Gentoo Handbook Have a look for yourself, without downloading a thing the documentation is superb, it's amazingly step by step to get your system running, then their forum is saturated with customization information. I do appreciate that some people just want "stuff to work". This may not be for you, but I myself nearly cheared at the end of my weekend when I had my fluxbox menus just right, my system booting up perfectly, and no errors anywhere in sight. It felt like a real triumph to know that I had done it, not some gui installer.

Maybe I'm just wierd.

dispatch.o on
    edited July 2007
    Gentoo is great if you have plenty of time, but for most people it's not going to be a good distribution. I like the "Set everything up for the user and let them tinker if they want to" approach, not the "here's an disk image and a book. Good luck!" approach.

MKR on
  • Super Big PapaSuper Big Papa __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I'm going to go crazy wild and say Gentoo. I know most people are saying Ubuntu because it's easy to install and comes with a very windows-esque window manager. This is cool and all, I guess.

I however am going to present a different philosophy. If you can already install windows with clicking your mouse and run programs while knowing virtually nothing about the operating system, you should be diving head-long into something different.... and yes, command line based.

The command line is where linux shows its versatility, it's where you learn how to fiddle with the guts of your operating system. You'll also be forced to do a lot of research on your hardware. You may end out cracking open your pc to look at labels, digging out old manuals to look at version information and what types of controllers you have.

I learned more about linux and more specifically about my own hardware doing one single full install of gentoo from the ground up, getting the X-Windows, sound and video working along with network drivers and user accounts. Than I did with 3 months of fucking around with RedHat(now fedora).

Gentoo Handbook Have a look for yourself, without downloading a thing the documentation is superb, it's amazingly step by step to get your system running, then their forum is saturated with customization information. I do appreciate that some people just want "stuff to work". This may not be for you, but I myself nearly cheared at the end of my weekend when I had my fluxbox menus just right, my system booting up perfectly, and no errors anywhere in sight. It felt like a real triumph to know that I had done it, not some gui installer.

Maybe I'm just wierd.

But Gentoo, it comes with an installer now. It's just a really long process.

Super Big Papa on
    edited July 2007

Maybe I'm just wierd.

Most don't use the installer, and it's a first release type of thing.

dispatch.o on
    edited July 2007

Maybe I'm just wierd.

I used the installer. GrEetz :: from gentoo :: @4chan.ddk

Super Big Papa on
    edited July 2007

Maybe I'm just wierd.

Nice, how was it? I haven't had a need, but I've read some unfavorable things about it.

dispatch.o on
    edited July 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »

http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

Mounts it as EXT2 (no journaling). It's driver level so it actually mounts like a normal drive. You set the drives to mount and what to call them in the Control Panel. Once you set it it will mount those drives at boot as well.

Mblackwell on

edited July 2007
    Cheers, works great. :)

Easy way to get Windows-like file dialog in Firefox and Thunderbird:
    http://mag.mypclinuxos.com/html/Issues/200707/page09.html

Zilla360 on
    edited July 2007

Maybe I'm just wierd.

Nice, how was it? I haven't had a need, but I've read some unfavorable things about it.

It was alright. What unfavorable shit did you hear

Super Big Papa on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe I'm just wierd.

Or maybe it -is- for you. I say one should get familiarized with Linux through some easy package like Ubuntu and then - if they feel the need and have unlimited spare time - go further into the jungle. And for us that sit on a laptop, cracking her up isn't really an option in the beginning.

RichardTauber on
    edited July 2007
    And I think it helps with user frustrations in the beginning, namely that Windows "power users" are pissed they can't get everything set up... forgetting the fact that it's an entirely different operating system. Day to day computer use is actually fairly simple stuff (web browsing and e-mailing and doc writing) that Ubuntu does out of the box with almost no set up.

Personally I too have heard unfavorable things about Gentoo, that there was a lot of in-fighting and it's a mess, and there's basically no QA process. Personally I prefer a generally stable computer experience to a crap shoot. One of my friends used to use Gentoo but switched to Ubuntu after repeated problems. From time to time he brings up "well in Gentoo I could have deselected this portion of the package" etc etc, but he's happy his computer runs overall much smoother.

Mblackwell on

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Urgh

Using Linux I usually want to stab myself in the face

Like my FTP server was working correctly, then it stopped, then changing the config file wouldn't actually change anything like it would before, so I uninstalled it but the broken server was still running somehow, so I ended up having to manually kill that stupid process

Hopefully a clean install will work better -_-

Lemming on
    edited July 2007
    So I am browsing the forums in Firefox on Ubuntu Linux at the moment because for some reason I have no internet connection in Windows.

G'damnit.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • KillhouseKillhouse __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Guys I installed Xubuntu on the same harddrive as Windows but on a different partition obviously.

However, now the files on the Windows partition are still accessible from Xubuntu and this is security threat. I don't want to have Xubuntu to have ANYTHING to do with that windows partition, is this not possible so long as they are on the same disk? I don't want the files able to be seen or modified or anything.

Killhouse on
    WE KILL 4 THRILLZ
  • Expo'86Expo'86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    with linux almost everything is possible, im not sure how to set it up to where you cant access the windows partition but i dont think it would be very hard at all. just browse the ubuntu forums and im sure you will find something.

Expo'86 on
    "We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
    edited July 2007
    Expo'86 wrote: »
    with linux almost everything is possible, im not sure how to set it up to where you cant access the windows partition but i dont think it would be very hard at all. just browse the ubuntu forums and im sure you will find something.

Possible to access data that doesn't belong to you without seg faults?

Killhouse on
    WE KILL 4 THRILLZ
    edited July 2007
    Killhouse wrote: »
    Guys I installed Xubuntu on the same harddrive as Windows but on a different partition obviously.

However, now the files on the Windows partition are still accessible from Xubuntu and this is security threat. I don't want to have Xubuntu to have ANYTHING to do with that windows partition, is this not possible so long as they are on the same disk? I don't want the files able to be seen or modified or anything.

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

I recommend putting a comment character (#) before the line rather than deleting it, just in case you want to put it back. :)

MKR on
    edited July 2007
    You should be able to unmount that partition easily enough. I would have to look up the commands fr it though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited July 2007
    You should be able to unmount that partition easily enough. I would have to look up the commands fr it though.

It's umount /path/to/mount, but that's not permanent. The installer added his NTFS partition to fstab, and it's just going to be remounted at the next boot.

MKR on
    edited July 2007

But what's to stop someone from mounting it again?

Killhouse on
    WE KILL 4 THRILLZ
    edited July 2007
    True. I replied before I checked the URL you linked to.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited July 2007
    Here's my /etc/fstab as an example (fstab stands for 'file-system-table', in case you're wondering...):
    # /dev/hda2, size=39969720, type=131: Journalised FS: ext3 (primary)
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
    # /dev/hda5, size=11260305, type=131: Linux native (extended)
    /dev/hda5 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
    # /dev/hda4, size=4353615, type=131: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (primary)
    /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 reiserfs user,exec,rw,notail,noatime 1 2
    # /dev/hda1, size=63019089, type=7: NTFS (primary)
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs-3g user,exec,rw,local=en_EN.utf8,umask=0 0 0
    # /dev/hde1, size=156296322, type=11: FAT32 (primary)
    /dev/hde1 /mnt/win_d vfat user,exec,rw,iocharset=utf8,umask=0 0 0
    # /dev/sda1, size=251272, type=11: FAT32 (primary)
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/win_e vfat user,exec,rw,noauto,iocharset=utf8,umask=0 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
    none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    # /dev/hda6, size=1493982, type=130: Linux swap (extended)
    /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
    Just add #'s to any mounts you don't want. :)

Zilla360 on