As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Updating Planescape

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Critical Failures
OK, here's my situation. I've only played a couple games of D&D in my life, never really took a shine to it. However I recently got gametap and fell in love with the Planescape setting. Some friends of mine up at college who I've RPed with before are into D&D and it would be possible I could convince them to do a planescape game. However I'd have to take the initiative in finding the source material and such. I gather that planescape is only kind of supported now. Since the backround is what I'm really interested in though, I figured I could try to grab some of the old books. (I don't see why someone like the Lady of Pain needs stats for instance) Would it be extremely difficult for a newbie like me to find these books and adapt them to the current D&D edition? Just how much support for the setting is their in the current edition stuff? Where do dustmen get all of those grey robes?

Neaden on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Neaden wrote: »
    OK, here's my situation. I've only played a couple games of D&D in my life, never really took a shine to it. However I recently got gametap and fell in love with the Planescape setting. Some friends of mine up at college who I've RPed with before are into D&D and it would be possible I could convince them to do a planescape game. However I'd have to take the initiative in finding the source material and such. I gather that planescape is only kind of supported now. Since the backround is what I'm really interested in though, I figured I could try to grab some of the old books. (I don't see why someone like the Lady of Pain needs stats for instance) Would it be extremely difficult for a newbie like me to find these books and adapt them to the current D&D edition? Just how much support for the setting is their in the current edition stuff? Where do dustmen get all of those grey robes?

Planescape as a setting isn't supported at all anymore. There's the Planar Handbook for 3.0, I don't think it's up to date for 3.5, officially anyway. http://www.planewalker.com/index.php has a 3.5 conversion of the Planescape setting, though.

INeedNoSalt on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You sure? Amazon says it's 3.5
    linky

Neaden on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yeah, planar handbook is about the closest you're gonna get

PiptheFair on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Planar Handbook is 3.5.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Planar handbook has an entirely different feel from Planescape. It is much closer to the older trans-planar materiel from 2nd, 1st, original ed D&D. (except they totally fucked up Mechanus. Bastards).

Planescape was an oddity. But a glorious one. I believe if you poke around online there is a company that charges a few bucks each for legit PDF downloads of all of the materiel. It uses 2nd ed rules but the rules were never important to the setting. Converting to 3.5 is quite simple.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe if you poke around online there is a company that charges a few bucks each for legit PDF downloads of all of the materiel..

It's DriveThruRPG.com.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Linked from the Wizards of the Coast D&D site is the "official fan site" for Planescape:

link

Does that help?

Zalbinion on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and if you end up buying any of the planescape PDFs (or are lucky to find some in a store, American Eagle in Lake City WA had a few last time I was there) these are the really good ones:

1) Planescape Campaign Setting
    2) Monstrous Compendium Planescape Appendix I & II (haven't seen 3 personally but 1 and 2 are a must for the artwork alone)
    3) Planewalker's Handbook

Hellbound - The Blood War
    - Tons of info on the blood war. Kickass adventures.

-Tales from the Infinite Staircase
    A crossover from Forgotten Realms into Planescape. Good for introducing characters to the setting.

-In the Cage - A Guide to Sigil
    -The Factol's Manifesto
    -Uncaged - Faces of Sigil

These three books contain a ton of info about Sigil and the factions. A great deal of this info is used in the series of adventures in The Great Modron March -> Dead Gods -> Faction War (which is essentially "the end" of the setting as it is layed out in the original box)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    An expanded race list would be appropriate as well. I would suggest ECL +1 stuff only, like tieflings, aasimar, genasi, and bariaur, though higher powered campaigns could have half-outsiders, full outsiders, or more.

Furthermore, there are two types of Planescape campaigns: the campaign where all/most of the players are from Sigil, and the one where all/most of them are from some regular Prime Material plane (though according to current canon, the Great Wheel Cosmology is only appropriate to Greyhawk).

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23