As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Thundercats 2011] Where saying the word HO! will never be Inappropriate.

191011121315»

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Godfather wrote: »
    Hrm, well while it's disappointing that Thundercats was cancelled, I can't really blame them in the end.

The show was more or less the last leg on that whole Thundercats push they tried to cash in with a few years back, what with a big-screen adaptation falling through the seams when some studio execs had a boner for 80's properties after Transformers hit the money pit. My guess is that the show was just an experiment after everything else fell through. Maybe they realized that something like Thundercats should have stayed buried in the past since the newer generations could just want their own franchises built from the ground up I suppose?

The concept is sound. They failed with the execution is all. Put the guys from Avatar or Weisman on it and we'd have a different story. Then again, even that might not save it from any meddling or incompetence from CN, WB etc.

Comparing it to Transformers Prime isn't fair to Thundercats. The cartoon isn't up to that quality IMO.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    Folks, im not angry. Im just saddened i may never get my chance to write for the show. Because all these pacing issues would have solved if they made cleaned the script up. They are leaving so much behind and leaving so much unsaid. They then cut it too short for its own good. You need somebody that balance that. They have the writers its that they dont think highly of this type of work like i do.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So then it's true?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    So then it's true?

I will hear something on monday or by the end of the week. But right now the whole franchise - hell CN and Warner Brothers Animation is at a crossroads right now.

• Options
    I had to leave the offices for the day. Its just going to come out in snippets now but I am so bitter at Turner right now you cannot believe it. You know the situation with Nick right and people dropping the network? Well I know for a fact Netflix and Amazon streaming - there margins are going to get messed up in 18 months, and thats part of the reason some of the smaller cable nets want to drop nick come renewal time. CN is nearly in the same boat but nobody is really saying it.

• Options
    Well, a while back i set up a formspring account but i thought nothing of it. going to use it know to your questions to be answered. im not going to say much but i will tell you what I will say they cannot prove they are wrong.

http://www.formspring.me/Novid

i also have a tumblr page i might do something with.

http://theeyesoftheearth.tumblr.com/

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Sent you a request on formspring.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Sent you a request on formspring.

got ya

• Options
    Im doing some digging and something is smelling very fishy. I heard some contracts were being moved around. I dont know who it is or what it pertains. Comic-Con and nobody has been asking any questions. Everybody has been given a say about it. If they were in hiatus for this amount of time (its been at least 10 months since the last episode been in production) it going to be difficult to get all the people back to restart the series. It would take another 2 years to get 3 episodes out of the docket for the next 26 to run. Korra has already been locked for 4 seasons. If they were going to say something its THIS weekend - about the Blu-Ray, about any new season, about any thing else. This weekend. If nothing - folks need to get mad and rightfully so.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Kind of a low blow if the show is in fact cancelled. :(

thundercatsgame1.jpg
    ThunderCats Game Coming to DS in August
    A lot of ThunderCats fans have been concerned by the recently relaunched series' noted absence at this past year's Toy Fair and on Cartoon Network's new season guide. Well, regardless of whether it provides any assurance of a second season or just a holdover of marketing efforts that were already in motion, those fans should be pleased to discover that Namco Bandai and Aspect Digital have a new ThunderCats video game for the Nintendo DS (not 3DS, sadly) set to drop in August. Players will control Lion-O (with assists from fellow cats Tygra, Cheetara, Panthro, and WilyKit/WilyKat) as he cuts down evil lizard guys and charge up the Sword of Omens. The game seems like a fairly standard 2D action game, but I doubt most players will mind since it seems to let them shout "ThunderCats Ho!" and clear a screen of foes. Check out five screen shots from the upcoming ThunderCats DS game after the cut.

Lots of screens on the page linked.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Not cancelled, they say.

And I doubt they'd cancel a finished game just because the show got axed (which it hasn't, apparently).

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Not cancelled, they say.

And I doubt they'd cancel a finished game just because the show got axed (which it hasn't, apparently).

Next Steps? For Whom? The turnover rate cannot be this bad. Warners (In Japan at least) is funding 3 other projects with Studio 4C so they getting work done in the interim, but for CN to say next steps makes no sense to me - there was no next step when it comes to Scooby Doo (which ironically has the same turnover rate as the Thundercats) There isnt a next step when it comes to Adventure Time (which is way shorter turnover rate than other series. Hell even despite the fact Young Justice gets flopped around when production is still being worked on there is no next step because a majority of the episodes haven't aired yet. So to say Next Steps make no sense to me.

So, I told my co-workers CN has three choices going forward. They can Trade the Thundercats to the Hub, for MLP to CN thereby split the toy license between Hasbro and Bandai (Hasbro has lost a FUCKTON of money with the Gi Joe movie Nonsense), Place it On Toonami and make it darker (the stars need to align for a repeat of 2000 era toonami, where Dragon Ball Z, A New Sailor Moon and a Revamped Thundercats 2011 series aires on [as]) or end the series. I heard what happened at Comic Con when hasbro had a model sale and as a business man first i realized that the MLP would work better in CN - and feeling as that Warner Brothers feels that they have much more control over say something like TNT or TBS than CN or CNN right now, its better off for another Network to handle there properties such as the Hub. I call it a fair trade. The CN executives will scream bloody murder. Let them. Folks are trying to save the franchise and if by any means we will do so.

Novid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty much dead.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I cannot see Hasbro giving up My Little Pony.

• Options
    edited July 2012

There not given up any rights to it. They keep any toy rights of MLP and gain one half of the other. They are just trading shows so one makes more money and the other gets more respect.

It will take two years plus for an episode 27 to air. Thats how long the turnaround is. In order to do that before 2014 rolls around, they have to start production in 2 weeks. Yes it takes 5 months for an episode. But you need 6 or 7 before they can air one. Thats why i said 2 years. And they are running out of time. So get the trade done asap.

Novid on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Novid wrote: »

There not given up any rights to it. They keep any toy rights of MLP and gain one half of the other. They are just trading shows so one makes more money and the other gets more respect.

It will take two years plus for an episode 27 to air. Thats how long the turnaround is. In order to do that before 2014 rolls around, they have to start production in 2 weeks. Yes it takes 5 months for an episode. But you need 6 or 7 before they can air one. Thats why i said 2 years. And they are running out of time. So get the trade done asap.

Why would Hasbro even think about that kind of trade? They're currently getting both the toy revenue and the advertising for MLP. Why would they trade away the latter (even if it's just a percentage) for a series that:

1. Is all but DOA?
    2. Was no where near as popular as MLP at its height?
    3. Will take (like you say) about 2 years for new episodes to be aired?

Just doesn't make any sense, 50% of TC toy sales or not. And that's not even taking into account the way CN fucks around with its on-air schedule seemingly all the time.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Novid wrote: »

Why would Hasbro even think about that kind of trade? They're currently getting both the toy revenue and the advertising for MLP. Why would they trade away the latter (even if it's just a percentage) for a series that:

1. Is all but DOA?
    2. Was no where near as popular as MLP at its height?
    3. Will take (like you say) about 2 years for new episodes to be aired?

Just doesn't make any sense, 50% of TC toy sales or not. And that's not even taking into account the way CN fucks around with its on-air schedule seemingly all the time.

They haven't touched the schedule of Adventure Time for nearly 2 years. It gets the same audience as MLP. Its a win - win for Hasbro and the franchise as whole. I dont want Hasbro to outright buy the thundercats. CN wants to go in another direction, the Hub is heading in another direction. MLP is bigger than the HUB - and it cant be that way forever.

Novid on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I can say that I have seen MLP:FiM on Boomerang here in Scandinavia. Boomerang being a spin off channel to CN, where they show some of the older cartoons. That's why I noticed it, Friendship is Magic is a new series and should really be on the CN proper, along with Transformers Prime and yes Thundercats.

Bottom line being, that if they can make a deal for worldwide distribution and the global numbers are good enough, they might try a US deal. Or at least one can hope.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I can say that I have seen MLP:FiM on Boomerang here in Scandinavia. Boomerang being a spin off channel to CN, where they show some of the older cartoons. That's why I noticed it, Friendship is Magic is a new series and should really be on the CN proper, along with Transformers Prime and yes Thundercats.

Bottom line being, that if they can make a deal for worldwide distribution and the global numbers are good enough, they might try a US deal. Or at least one can hope.

They made a deal for Turner International to air the series out side of the states. So Internationally, yes; CN has rights to MLP.