As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Olympics!

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
The Olympics! The greatest sporting event on the planet*. And it's just a few short days away!

article-2165402-13CFAFC6000005DC-130_634x421.jpg

This time the venue is London, which was the cause of much celebration when it was announced because it meant we'd gotten one over the French by beating paris, but very quickly afterwards those smiles turned upside down as the bill for the games soared, the economy crumbled and suddenly chucking a few billion down the pan for the privilege of watching Uzbekistan play Estonia at tiddlywinks seemed less than wise. Still, there's always the cuddly Olympic mascots to cheer everyone up!

new_olympics_mascots_4da828e3cdfb0.jpg

Jesus Christ what the hell are they kill them with fire!

victoria_pendleton_hovis_1.jpg

Ah, much better. That's Victoria Pendleton, by the way, UK gold medalist and someone whose triumphs on the cycling track I will be watching closely, perhaps smiling dreamily while I do so. And for the other team, here's American Ryan Lochte, who swims, apparently.

w8kk.jpg

So, I thought we could talk about the Olympics a bit, about the terrible sponsorship rules that led to nearby restaurants having to change a name they've had for twenty years after vaguely threatening letters from IOC lawyers, the private secutiry fiasco of G4S or maybe the awesome running, jumping and throwing things that will be going on. Or maybe just about the best moments from past Olympics, like Daley Thompson crushing everyone in his path in the decathlon, or Dame Kelly Holmes winning gold in both the 800m and 1500m, or Coe vs Ovett in 1980 or maybe something else an athlete from a country other than the UK once did, if you like that sort of thing. Like the amazing story of Emile Zatopek, for instance.

*With the exception of The Ashes, which is the best thing humanity has invented thus far.

Bogart on

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I can't wait for the bobsled!

Oh...

wait...

Actually I'm looking forward to fencing and football.

Maybe some archery.

Also, needs more Edinburgh:

tumblr_m7ebj7bNdE1r5ijsro1_500.jpg

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    [Grumpy Brit] I can't wait for it to be over [/Grumpy Brit]

Also looking forward to the football, It's a different atmosphere to normal tournaments.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I usually only follow a handful of the disciplines regularly, but the Olympics are always a great time to watch sports you normally wouldn't.

Also: dear god who designed those mascots and why haven't the people on this planet risen up as one and killed him yet?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This is going to be my first Olympics without a TV. Watching Water Polo and other weird sports at 2 AM has kind of been a tradition since I was in High School...

I wonder how good the internet coverage is going to be. When NBC signed that 20+ year deal or whatever, no one could've imagined the internet that we have today.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Minor nitpick with the OP: Tiddlywinks lost the bid to be the exhibition sport :(

I managed to get the first week of the Olympics off work, so I'll probably end up watching some of it. I find track events excruciatingly boring, but the field events are cool.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    hoping for brazil vs sweden in the beach volleyball finals

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You left out the seizure inducing logo:

500px-London_Olympics_2012_logo.svg.png

In b4 LGBH.

Also, the whole thing where McDonalds are the only restaurant allowed to serve chips in the entire area, unless the restaurant serves them with fish.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Now, I'm not pessimistic, but I always wonder what the big controversy/scandal will be in an Olympics. Will it be rigged judging? Drugs? Tragic accident causing death? Homeless people being kicked out of the area to make the place look better? No Olympics is complete without one.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Now, I'm not pessimistic, but I always wonder what the big controversy/scandal will be in an Olympics. Will it be rigged judging? Drugs? Tragic accident causing death? Homeless people being kicked out of the area to make the place look better? No Olympics is complete without one.

Early runners are:
    - How disastrous outsourcing security to G4S has been.
    - Crazy brand control stories.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

In b4 LGBH.

Also, the whole thing where McDonalds are the only restaurant allowed to serve chips in the entire area, unless the restaurant serves them with fish.

Wasn't there a "looks like someone giving head!!!" semi-controversy?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

In b4 LGBH.

Wasn't there a "looks like someone giving head!!!" semi-controversy?

LGBH ->
    Lisa Giving Bart Head

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    By lunatics, obviously

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Figured I should've checked the acronym. Well, you were right - you were definitely in before the LGBH. Isn't there also a Zionist controversy too? Very controversial logo for what clearly says "2012"

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    By lunatics, obviously

2012-olympics-logo-lisa-simpson-giving-bart-head-16566-1259882628-36.jpg

It's there, man. Just like Resident Evil 6's is a guy sucking a giraffe's dick.

I prefer the "it's a guy vomiting" version though;

london2012-puke.jpg

So yeah my nan passionately hates that the olympics are here. We live in Birmingham, nowhere near London, and yet it is the worst thing in the world that this is happening. I mean, I guess it's bad financially, but we were already fucked, so eh.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I find this pretty weird.
    41f5MTz4rnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apparently the cyclopean eyes are cameras. So I can think of the mammoth security pressence and omnipresent security camerars in London as a nice cuddly thing? So strange.

You can buy one!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympic-Mascots-Wenlock-Policeman-Figurine/dp/B005HP1UHK

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    If you squint the 0 in that logo kind of looks like Australia!

• Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    I'll be spending three days in London for the Olympics. I got tickets for a few early rounds of boxing followed by a weightlifting final. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed to pick up a ticket for one of the swimming events while I am there.

I'm a little worried about how the games themselves will be received once they kick off. I remember the Winter Olympics in Vancouver started off very badly but I heard the atmosphere around the entire city was fantastic once everyone got into the swing of things (i.e. Canada starting to win gold medals). Maybe it will be the same for the Londoners.

Oh well, at least I will get some enjoyment from the sour reaction of the British population if this whole thing falls apart.

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Apparently the cyclopean eyes are cameras. So I can think of the mammoth security pressence and omnipresent security camerars in London as a nice cuddly thing? So strange.

You can buy one!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympic-Mascots-Wenlock-Policeman-Figurine/dp/B005HP1UHK

Don't forget the reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B005HP1UHK/

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

A complete inability for the transport infrastructure to cope.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

You can buy one!

Don't forget the reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B005HP1UHK/

I love the non-Euclidian geometry of the case. Really sells the existential horror

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »

A complete inability for the transport infrastructure to cope.

That was Atlanta. You guys have to find your own thing :P

• Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular

I might be imagining it, but I thought they kicked out some poor people already? Something about landlords wanting to rip off tourists for the summer?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Giving the general behaviour of landlords in London that isn't really event specific enough to be a big Olympic scandal. I'm betting on some rough handling by G4S guards of a child innocently wearing a t-shirt of a non-approved brand trying to get in to see his favourite race and then an outraged Sun campaign to get him tickets. Or Boris Johnson caught trying to cop off with the women's relay team.

Also looking forward to an apopletic Daily Mail headline about the recent flood of foreigners into London.

• Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Early runners are:
    - How disastrous outsourcing security to G4S has been.
    - Crazy brand control stories.

Speaking of which, while I doubt it'll be a big controversy, this seems like it could cause a lot of headaches / piss people off.

Vesty on
  • Options
    I am going to wear obscure superhero logo t-shirts when I attend an event, confusing guards suspicious that I'm advertising something, but unaware what exactly.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Who can forget Four Linked Rings Man, and his young ward, Blondon Bolympics?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Only sports I care about for Olympics are Fencing (have a friend who is competing for Canada again) and TKD ( I do traditional style but its cool to watch the WTF guys go at it)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I can't wait for my country to get all worked up, showcasing our best, then sobbing into our pillow when we don't win any golds for the first week. Canada, I have to admit, isn't a world power when it comes to the Summer Olympics. The Winter Olympics are our forte.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I prefer the Winter games to the Summer ones, but I do enjoy watching the more obscure events. Badminton, Table Tennis, Water Polo, Archery, Shooting, Fencing. The only "popular" one I'm looking forward to is Volleyball. Couldn't really care less about gymnastics, track & field, swimming (although I'll watch plenty of it), or diving.

• Options
    Oh hey the USA is playing the UK at basketball right ow in a warm up game. We are, of course, getting absolutely fucking slaughtered.

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    I certainly won't be sad to see Ryan Lochte move his douchey self out of Gainesville. Hopefully he takes a real shine to London and chooses to stay.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I generally have three rules:

*Priority goes to sports I don't get to normally watch. Which basically means basketball gets bumped down the priority list. Baseball/softball, well, problem solved there. Soccer, we'll see what other events are on.
    *Sailing will be watched for approximately five minutes to see if it's gotten any less similar to a televised screen saver clusterfuck where you can't tell when exactly the race has technically started or if the race is even happening as opposed to everyone just circling around and starting again. When it is determined that it inevitably hasn't, that's it for my sailing viewing.
    *It has to be an actual event goddamn you Bob Costas.

Everything else gets watched religiously.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The last summer olympics I watched that ribbon trampoline sport late one night or early morning. Good times. I personally am hoping for some more crotch on face action from the USA team against whoever they are playing in basketball.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Though one vaguely cool thing about the mascots, they're named after the two places (the village of Wenlock and Manderville hospital) that came up with the idea of the modern Olympics and Paraolympics. I'm kind of surprised that this bit seems almost played down.

I'm also disappointed to not see the introduction of the "Old Woman's Race for a Pound of Tea", in the spirit of returning to the origins of this global phenomenon. Incidentally, the Wenlock Olympian society is currently holding it's games - the equestrian events have been postponed, but currently there's a Gliding competition.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I havent been paying attention... when is the opening ceremony?

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    They're the mascots, Tastyfish. Olympic mascots exist only to be awful. It's like every single time, the guy who comes up with them looks at Izzy (that monstrosity from Atlanta) and goes 'Okay, what can I make that could possibly be worse than that?'

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    UK is in with a decent shout at the cycling road race. Every rider forming part of the team has won a stage in this year's Tour de France, except Ian Stannard, who has the entirely reasonable excuse that he isn't racing in it, instead winning the UK National Championships by way of compensation.

Also defending champion Samuel Sanchez is currently injured and may not compete (or may not compete at his best, he'd probably have to lose a limb before he'd decide not to race).

We've also got Bradley "the Heron of Kilburn" Wiggins and Chris Froome in the Time Trial, both in the form of their lives.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Sports I will watch:

Swimming
    Sub 400 meter foot races
    Weight lifting
    Rowing
    Boxing

Sports I may watch:
    Men's gymnastics
    Women's gymnastics
    Basketball

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    I like how manderley is pissed and win-not has just pissed himself. Sums up the national mood.

Personally I am SUPER HYPED! Cannot wait for the 100m final. I predict Blake, Bolt, Gatlin.

Gonna watch it all. Especially weightlifting (big men rargh), cycling (UK will win all) and T&F.

My housemate is dancing in the opening ceremony.