As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: The Once and Future Elections Thread

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey, remember when our Presidency threads were awesome and we analyzed polls obsessively and had people on the ground in lots of states and it was like a little organizing community all up ins instead of getting off on 10 pages of meaningless tangents that get Jeffe to come yell at us and threaten us with taking our toys away? Let's do that again!

Therefore, it's once again the American Presidency thread. In this thread, we are to:

Do:
Talk about Mitt Romney's tax returns!
Bemoan our media's inability to call bullshit on contextectomies.
Speculate about the Republican VP choice!
Talk about ads we find interesting!
Link polls! Analyze the internals therein!
Sadly link the monthly job reports and weekly unemployment claims numbers!
Liveblog The Rachel Maddow Show when relevant (Preacher and me mostly)!
Laugh at Rush Limbaugh's stupid conspiracy theories!
Discuss largely meaningless tactics from the two sides!
Tell people to vote!
Argue about on topic stuff!

Do not:
Engage in 10 page tangents about, say, the definition of the internet that distract from anything meaningful!
Contribute nothing other than tell another poster he's a useless loser who makes shit up. If you feel you must, call him or her a goose once and then stop responding to them.
Be a dick!

Current happenings:
Barack Obama has a slim lead in the popular vote polls and a more robust lead in the electoral college, with Romney needing to pull a clean sweep of all the states we could vaguely label as toss ups at this point in time. 538 has him a 2 to 1favorite to win re-election, for example.

Mitt Romney continues to be pressed to release his tax returns. 54% of the country would like him to, 37% thinks he doesn't need to, with the rest undecided or don't know, according to a recent poll from Gallup.

He is also being pressed on exactly when he left Bain Capital. As he does not want to be associated with them from 1999-2002. Except the good stuff, like Staples hiring lots of people. That is his doing. Just not the bad stuff like outsourcing or the stuff his base wouldn't like, like Bain's association with Stericycle.

The Romney camp has leaked that a VP pick is "soon" which seems unlikely what with the Olympics starting next week and drowning out a lot of coverage. The rumored leaders are Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota, Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, and Rob Portman of Ohio. All three are pretty boring individuals, though Jindal would obviously be a first for the Indian American community. Paul Ryan from Wisconsin is the dark horse and a suicidal pick.

The major Romney attack on Obama is ripping a quote violently out of context to claim Obama "doesn't understand America" because the Romney campaign is classy like that. Implications that he is foreign and un-American have abounded the last week as the Romney camp has struggled to fend off the tax attacks. John Sununu has been a particularly egregious offender.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The question the American people want answered about whether or not the horse is running as VP still hasn't been discussed by the Romney camp

The horse is only three or four times the average American's income level, and might help better connect with upper middle class voters

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    The first lady is suppose to giving a speech out in my area tomorrow. I'm half tempted to go but the area she'll be speaking at is notorious for having a very shitty set up for driving. If she had picked a more accessible area, I would definitely go.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Pro Rafalca camp over here

At least we know where Rafalca was born!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m7fysb1ial1qg3r97o1_500.png

I think this is a good thing to add. Is it a good thing to add? I think it's a good thing to add.

I'm guessing Romney will probably pick Portman, but he might pick a Paul to shut them up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I still am not putting it past him to name his wife for VP.

it just seems kind of like the next step.

I know it's not going to happen.

• Options
    If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year running for President

???

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year running for President

???

Confirmed: that is, the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options

???

. . . Suddenly the horse thing goes from silly stupid to being another stupid gaffe for Romney. o_O

• Options
    The horse line is a Lewis Black joke

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    It feels like the pace of these threads is picking up. I used to be able to follow these more or less as long as I skimmed/skipped the pissing contests and uninteresting tangents, but damn, it's like a dozen pages a day now. I just don't have that much time, internet!

It's funny working for all rich people, and hearing them bitch constantly about Obama for stupid or untrue reasons. One guy took me aside and was telling me how he wished someone would put a bullet in Obama. And this guy isn't crazy at all normally! He's a really smart successful guy! And he was talking 'bout murder!

• Options
    It feels like the pace of these threads is picking up. I used to be able to follow these more or less as long as I skimmed/skipped the pissing contests and uninteresting tangents, but damn, it's like a dozen pages a day now. I just don't have that much time, internet!

It's funny working for all rich people, and hearing them bitch constantly about Obama for stupid or untrue reasons. One guy took me aside and was telling me how he wished someone would put a bullet in Obama. And this guy isn't crazy at all normally! He's a really smart successful guy! And he was talking 'bout murder!

Um, wow.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    These threads are still slow. Just wait until the conventions when we go through one every other day.

Also, The Secret Service would be interested in that dude!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular

???

???

tbh, Mitt's horse is pretty cool and that they bothered with the horse for the wife's health is sweet, why don't they feature the damn horse in ads? "THIS IS RAFALCA. LOOK AT HIM NIBBLE CARROTS AND SUGAR CUBES. HE'S THE NICEST CLEVEREST HORSE AND HE WANTS TO BE THE PRESIDENTIAL PET. MAKE HIS DREAMS COME TRUE. ROMNEY 2012". In all seriousness they could make the family horse an endearing asset if they tried.

the wiki article listing the various presidential pets is interesting. Apparently James Madison had both silkworms and . . . an alligator?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_pets

• Options
    For those of you unaware, this is what I was referencing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-W56c10wyo

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Um, wow.

Jesus Christ that's some Grade A USDA Prime Choice Stupid.

Like, even ignoring the fact that that's insane, can you imagine what the first black president getting assassinated would do to this country?

Jesus, people.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I'm still amazed so much has been made of the horse thing. It's sad to do a google news feed search and see how many conservative blogs pop up where they're happy that they beat the dems back on it. Okay grats they got the dems to pull the ad, it's still not going to help them win in the fall and they can't really make hay out of it either. Wanting a 77000 dollar tax write off for an animal that most Americans can't afford would be a terrible thing for Romney to use, by which he should totally follow SFKM's suggestion and ride to events on it.

If anything the feigned insult on Anne Romney's part makes me despise the woman and her husband even more. Yeah, I get MS is a terrible thing but when you demand to get sympathy for it while supporting a platform to royally fuck over many others who also suffer from it because of "fuck you, got mine." Well all I can feel for a person at that point is contempt because Anne Romney certainly has it easier than most people who have been diagnosed with MS and if she were a decent human being, she should be bitching slapping her hubby for not supporting ACA which would help many others who have been diagnosed with MS.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

This joke is a lot easier to understand when you understand that horse is slang for heroin. And a lot more depressing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Um, wow.

Like, even ignoring the fact that that's insane, can you imagine what the first black president getting assassinated would do to this country?

Jesus, people.

Yeah, he doesn't think Obama's doing a good job supporting Israel in every way always forever, so that qualifies him to get his brains blown out, apparently.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Um, wow.

Jesus, people.

Yeah, he doesn't think Obama's doing a good job supporting Israel in every way always forever, so that qualifies him to get his brains blown out, apparently.

Wow you work for Sheldon Adelson? Than you definately should report him to the secret service.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Um, wow.

Jesus, people.

Wow you work for Sheldon Adelson? Than you definately should report him to the secret service.

Swing and a miss. You're on the right track though. Not that I really want you to go down this road. It leads to dark places.

• Options
    edited July 2012

Um, wow.

Jesus, people.

That's why?!

Ugh. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

The worst I get is my racist family. And even they don't think Obama should get shot.

Though my grandma did wish that someone took a shot at Bush's entourage while he was in Iraq one thanksgiving after my cousin came home with his throat all fucked up from the war.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Thank you for introducing me to Rachel Marrow, thread. I am watching her show right now. Earlier, she talked about "The Cooch." I laughed.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Err. Maddow?

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I actually like Rafalca and I wish him well at the Olympics. Horses are awesome, and why shouldn't the Romney's be proud of their achievement of their horse making the Olympic team?

The horse has fuck-all to do with any sort of qualifications for being President. It has nothing to do with Mitt Romney's strength of character (or lack thereof). That man has shown no traits that make for a good leader of our government.

He's got an awesome horse, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Rachel Marrow is what she calls herself after dark, on a cloudless night when the moon is riding high over the churchyard.

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Err. Maddow?

Goddamnit. Autocorrect. Posting from phone. I fixed where it turned "show" into "shoe" at least.

Fucking marrow. Damn you, Samsung. Damn you to hell.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Err. Maddow?

No, the X-Men character. She discusses politics, fights giant robots, and complains about her mutant power being prehensile bones. Still more informative than "Good Morning Wolverine" or "Ms. Marvell's The Superview"

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This joke is a lot easier to understand when you understand that horse is slang for heroin. And a lot more depressing.

Well, thanks. That makes it sad now.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Maddow's superpower is investigative journalism in a world that shuns such unnatural abilities

• Options
    Maddow's superpower is investigative journalism in a world that shuns such unnatural abilities

She doesn't do investigative journalism. She just puts facts together, usually in a compelling way.

Related: read her book. You'll HATE Reagan at the end of it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've been seriously thinking about getting her book.

but i have so much backlog now.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I've been seriously thinking about getting her book.

but i have so much backlog now.

I thought about buying it, but then I started the Game of Thrones books. Ms. Maddow is going to have to wait a little while for me to get back to her.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The one I need to get is Chris Hayes' Twilight of the Elites, as that's where my interest is right now. It seems like our elites are significantly worse than past elites. My working theory is that it's Ayn Rand's fault, but I'm curious what he says. Sadly, my local library doesn't have it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I actually like Rafalca and I wish him well at the Olympics. Horses are awesome, and why shouldn't the Romney's be proud of their achievement of their horse making the Olympic team?

The horse has fuck-all to do with any sort of qualifications for being President. It has nothing to do with Mitt Romney's strength of character (or lack thereof). That man has shown no traits that make for a good leader of our government.

He's got an awesome horse, though.

Rafalca should bear all the pride, he did all the dancing! For reals though the horse tangent is ridic and I'm not really bothered that they have him, just the image of a dancing horse in inherently silly.

• Options
    I'd say a combination of Ayn Rand and not having a history where something really horrible happened to the elites after the masses got tired of being fucked over by them in this country. Sadly with the whole American Exceptionalism BS prevents them from looking at the history of other countries and realizing they one shouldn't piss off the masses too much and that it's in your best interest as an elite to make sure their happy. I'm sure the whole "I did all myself" mentality is also making it hard for them to realize that they are being incredibly short-sighted and all their efforts or lack there of won't be terribly useful if the masses decide to lynch them (hell Syria just proved you can't always trust your body guards to have your back, Rome proved that as well towards the end of it's empire as well).

• Options
    His theory involves something he believes to be inherent in our kind of meritocracy. Which I find intriguing (and disturbing) and makes me want to read it to decide if he's on to anything.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    His theory involves something he believes to be inherent in our kind of meritocracy. Which I find intriguing (and disturbing) and makes me want to read it to decide if he's on to anything.
    Basically he argues that, in the past we had something like a real meritocracy (albeit an extremely racist and sexist one), but then the elites from that passed on all their inherited wealth and power to their kids, so the elites we've got now were mostly just born into leadership roles.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The one I need to get is Chris Hayes' Twilight of the Elites, as that's where my interest is right now. It seems like our elites are significantly worse than past elites. My working theory is that it's Ayn Rand's fault, but I'm curious what he says. Sadly, my local library doesn't have it.

Suggest A Purchase and/or Worldcat ILL requests.

I haven't actually read it, but I have read some of his articles that were basically short versions with less data plunging and he makes some useful points while overlooking a lot of the fucked up things about the past. I mean, the system is definitely rigged now in a way that it wasn't back then...but a lot of it was still pretty fucking rigged back then. It just gets overlooked or framed as a different societal aspect. So, basically, focus on the critiques and ignore the nostalgia.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Basically he argues that, in the past we had something like a real meritocracy (albeit an extremely racist and sexist one), but then the elites from that passed on all their inherited wealth and power to their kids, so the elites we've got now were mostly just born into leadership roles.

it's amazing how much of our dynasty families can be traced back to those filthy rich puritan merchants

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Who do you work for, Stormfront?